Thread: Gonzaga's competition Mondays: "Iron sharpens iron"

Default Gonzaga's competition Mondays: "Iron sharpens iron"

Gonzaga's competition Mondays: "Iron sharpens iron"
    Jim Meehan, The Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Wash.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gonzagas-...030100492.html

Perhaps the thing I overlook the most with the frosh is all of the athleticism that they provide, which probably makes practices more challenging and game-like than normal for this team.

Watching some Big 10/12 games over the weekend makes it obvious to me that there is real sharpening going on under game pressure that will serve them well in the future....as Allen Iverson once said...." It is just practice man....just practice "

This makes a virtue out of necessity. We have no choice but to make the most of the opportunities to sharpen ourselves during practice but real iron sharpening iron is when two top 5 teams like Michigan and OSU square off and duel to a close finish with something like 7 lead changes during the second half with clutch plays down the stretch. That is an advantage for P5 schools and something we must overcome in our inverted schedule.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    This makes a virtue out of necessity. We have no choice but to make the most of the opportunities to sharpen ourselves during practice but real iron sharpening iron is when two top 5 teams like Michigan and OSU square off and duel to a close finish with something like 7 lead changes during the second half with clutch plays down the stretch. That is an advantage for P5 schools and something we must overcome in our inverted schedule.

ZZ
    With the Gonzaga roster split into two teams matched as evenly as possible, where do you each team in the hierarchy of nationally ranked teams? Are there any P5 schools that can have as difficult practice session?

Maybe it's rose colored glasses, but despite the Gonzaga inverted schedule, which P5 school(s) has had as much post season success as Gonzaga over the last decade? It seems as though SOMETHING is working right.
    Are you laughing at ME?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    With the Gonzaga roster split into two teams matched as evenly as possible, where do you each team in the hierarchy of nationally ranked teams? Are there any P5 schools that can have as difficult practice session?

Maybe it's rose colored glasses, but despite the Gonzaga inverted schedule, which P5 school(s) has had as much post season success as Gonzaga over the last decade? It seems as though SOMETHING is working right.
    The obvious answer is we're well rested going into the Dance, thanks to our weak conference.

Interesting thought experiment-how would you split the squad and how would they fare against other P5 schools. Let’s try this....

Team 1:
    Suggs
    Cook
    Kispert
    Watson
    Harris
    Ballo
    Zakharov
    Lang

Team 2:
    Nembhard
    Ayayi
    Timme
    Strawther
    Gregg
    Arlauskas
    Graves

Both of these squads would fare well vs other WCC schools but would not be ranked nationally or threaten top tier P5 squads, IMO. Don’t get me wrong, I think Few is doing a great job at creating completion as best he can during practice but it’s not the same.

ZZ

Not that coaches need advice or will go for it, but I would like to see Gregg, Strawther, Harris, and Ballo rotated in/out as soon as we get a 15-point lead (hopefully by 10-minute mark of the first half in the next two games). I'm assuming Watson/Cook/Nemhard would continue their ordinary rotations in/out - it would be Suggs/Kispert/Timme who would rotate in and out more frequently. I think it would benefit development of Gregg, Strawther, Harris, and Ballo not to mention team depth if they played under conditions where they are expected to hold or grow a lead rather than coming in under mop-up conditions where they are under less pressure and, presumably, more instructions to play conservatively, don't foul, etc.

Obviously a lot of things are working right...but when it comes to winning National Championships ....those Power 5 + 1 teams are doing pretty well......

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    Not that coaches need advice or will go for it, but I would like to see Gregg, Strawther, Harris, and Ballo rotated in/out as soon as we get a 15-point lead (hopefully by 10-minute mark of the first half in the next two games). I'm assuming Watson/Cook/Nemhard would continue their ordinary rotations in/out - it would be Suggs/Kispert/Timme who would rotate in and out more frequently. I think it would benefit development of Gregg, Strawther, Harris, and Ballo not to mention team depth if they played under conditions where they are expected to hold or grow a lead rather than coming in under mop-up conditions where they are under less pressure and, presumably, more instructions to play conservatively, don't foul, etc.
    I think at this late stage of the season you gotta keep your starters primed and conditioned to play the 25-35 minutes per game they will need to be ready for come tourney time. If anything, Few is tightening up the rotation now is my guess.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I think at this late stage of the season you gotta keep your starters primed and conditioned to play the 25-35 minutes per game they will need to be ready for come tourney time. If anything, Few is tightening up the rotation now is my guess.
    ...until there's a 40 point lead in the second half, and Few is thankfully not the kind of coach (see Geno A.) that keeps the foot on the gas.

If Cook is the third point guard, then there is no question that the team, in a practice setting, could be divided up into two competitive, equitable sides. Cook would have transferred in as a starter, or at least as a 6th man, for half of the PAC 12 teams.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    ...until there's a 40 point lead in the second half, and Few is thankfully not the kind of coach (see Geno A.) that keeps the foot on the gas.
    True. I hope Benn Gregg gets more minutes in that scenario. Zags may need an extra big body during a crucial tourney game.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

P5 is a football term. I can't think of a season in the last many, many years where the Big East isn't better than at least one of the P5 football conferences, and usually several of them. In basketball, "Major 6," or "Big 6" are more accurate.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    True. I hope Benn Gregg gets more minutes in that scenario. Zags may need an extra big body during a crucial tourney game.
    For being the equivalent pf a raw high school senior, Gregg just seems to have "it". He looks like he belongs and the moments aren't too big for him. For some players, being thrown into the fire early seems to hasten their maturity. For others, it can bring self doubt too soon and possibly even set them back. I think Gregg is in the most favorable category here. He looks confident for such a young player and just goes about his business, doing what is expected of players with his experience and current role.
    I miss Mike Hart