Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 WCC Women's Tourney Projections

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Santa Clara cruising end of 1st half 47-25 over LMU.

#5 Wiehl going off 16 points, 7-8 FG, 2-3 on 3 pointers.
    The problem with being a #8 seed. At the moment we’re being run off the court. Our players are obviously “gassed” at this point.

Having said that, we’ve been known for having huge third periods. And Chelsey once she gets locked in on threes, she can be practically unstoppable.

We’ll see what happens after the half. Very proud of our ladies no matter what the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SC up 70-41 end of 3rd quarter over LMU. Hats off to LMU they had a nice run. As CG3Dad said after 3 games in 3 days they are gassed. But LMU has heart obviously playing with injuries and 8 players suited up, nothing but respect. Like the story on Clark broadcaster said she is wearing a mask all year out of respect to front line health workers etc. As broadcaster pointed out that can't be easy, but she still excelled.

Santa Clara moves on faces Gonzaga on Monday 11:00 AM

Santa Clara moves on faces Gonzaga on Monday 11:00 AM
    Go get ‘em Zags!!

Ok little scouting about Santa Clara based on todays game.

* #5 Wiehl 11-15 FG, 4-7 on 3 pointers, total 28 points. Can't leave her open on 3 pointers, also excellent at layups underneath. Must keep her guarded.

* #23 Vanallen 9-12 FG, 4-6 on 3 pointers, total 22 points. Can't leave her open on 3 pointers. Has outstanding speed, loves quick layups also. Keep someone in her face.

* #12 Maldonado 4-5 FG, 8 points. Has a nice in the lane jumper and also quick to take it to the hoop.

#31 Hiraki 4-8 FG, 8 points. Very active player good speed and hustle, another player looking for quick layups. Comes off the bench.

Keys to the game keep a quick guard (one of the Truong's) on Vanallen. Wirth twins, Melody, must prevent the tons of easy layups like Santa Clara had today. Lady Zags don't lose track of Wiehl no open 3 pointers. Truong twins stay on Vanallen like glue on defense no open 3 pointers. Zags guards take care of the ball watch out for the surprise presses. Santa Clarra is very good at forcing turnovers both in the back court, lazy passes, and poor passes. Stay alert on offense, watch for fast breaks Wiehl gets down the court quickly, and as said earlier Vanallen has outstanding speed. Both Maldonado and Hiraki also hustle with quickness.

And the Lady Zags must hit the offensive and defensive boards hard. Wirth twins capitalize on the height advantage.

Note in her first game against the Zags, #5 Wiehl was 9-10 FG, and 2-2 on 3 pointers, 20 points.

* Denotes starters.

Quote Originally Posted by CG3Dad View Post
    The problem with being a #8 seed. At the moment we’re being run off the court. Our players are obviously “gassed” at this point.

Having said that, we’ve been known for having huge third periods. And Chelsey once she gets locked in on threes, she can be practically unstoppable.

We’ll see what happens after the half. Very proud of our ladies no matter what the outcome.

I really don't like how staggered the WCC tourney is. Automatically advancing the top 2 seeds to the semis seems cowardly to me. If they are that worried about the top seeds getting upset, they just shouldn't even have a tourney. Most conferences use byes, some have double byes, but nobody else uses a format like the WCC.

I like it. It puts more weight on the regular season, as it should. If the last place team wants to win it all, they'll deservedly have to run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I really don't like how staggered the WCC tourney is. Automatically advancing the top 2 seeds to the semis seems cowardly to me. If they are that worried about the top seeds getting upset, they just shouldn't even have a tourney. Most conferences use byes, some have double byes, but nobody else uses a format like the WCC.
    Typical attitude of a P-5 conference supporter where the top 4-6 (maybe top 8 if your in the SEC) teams get in the NCAA tournament no matter what happens in the tournament.

Take a look at #13 Arkansas Wbb. They have two (2) great wins this year at Baylor and at home against UConn. However they have eight (yes 8) losses, have a record of 2-7 against the Top 25 teams, have several double digit losses and a 9 point loss to 11-10 Ole Miss. Not only are they going to get an at-large bid, they are currently shown as a 4th seed in the tournament. The NCAA committee is certainly giving a ton of weight to their two wins against the Top 25 and dismissing their overall record against the rest of the Top 25.

If your in a mid-major conference, there are dozens of examples where the conference champion goes 28-2, 29-1, etc. and gets upset in the conference tournament and they did get an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. If you are a dominant conference champion and might have a chance to win a game, maybe two in the conference tournament, the difference in money brought back to the conference is significantly more than throwing a mid-pack, conference team who happens to win the conference tournament and gets chewed up in the first round of the NCAA.

Now SeaCatfan, if you want to limit NCAA invites to the top 4 teams in conferences with 12 or less teams and the top 5 teams in each P-5 conference with more than 12 teams, opening up more at-large bids for the mid-majors, I am all for giving byes only to the quarterfinals in conference tournaments. After all, if you can't finish in the Top 4/5 in your conference, what have you done to deserve to get an invite to the NCAA tournament?

ZagDad

ZagDad, which other non P5 conference uses a format like the WCC? Like I said, they should just do away with their conference tourney and tab the regular season champ as the auto bid. Ivy doesn't have a conference tourney. Nobody is forcing any conference to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    ZagDad, which other non P5 conference uses a format like the WCC? Like I said, they should just do away with their conference tourney and tab the regular season champ as the auto bid. Ivy doesn't have a conference tourney. Nobody is forcing any conference to do it.
    None to my knowledge. Most conferences give byes to the top seeded teams, but most only to the quarterfinals, not the semi-finals.

Why play a conference tournament? How about to keep the teams active so they do not have to wait 3 weeks for the NCAA tournament to start. That should be good enough reason to hold a conference tournament. How about the relatively small amount of money the teams earn for playing a conference tournament. The vast majority of Wbb teams cost their universities money to play the year, the conference tournament gives the Wbb teams a chance to make a little money for their universities. How about giving teams below the 1st and 2nd place teams a chance to earn an NCAA tournament bid. Just like the Portland Wbb did last year.

From the fan point of view, I like the current format because the men and women play at the same venue, on the same days. I can buy an all-session pass and see every Mbb and every Wbb tournament game. I don't have to choose to go the the Mbb or the Wbb, or travel to different cities, etc.

If it is good for the teams and good for the fans seems like a pretty good reason to me.

ZagDad

Is the women’s semifinal on tv on Monday?
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    Is the women’s semifinal on tv on Monday?
    Yes. Per the WCC Website: https://wccsports.com/tournaments/?id=58 (and Post #9 above)

Women's Semifinals on Root Sports Networks, BYUtv, WCCN ( My DIRECTV Guide shows ROOT NW-HD carrying both semi-finals)

Women's Championship on Tuesday will be on ESPNU

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Yes. Per the WCC Website: https://wccsports.com/tournaments/?id=58 (and Post #9 above)

Women's Semifinals on Root Sports Networks, BYUtv, WCCN ( My DIRECTV Guide shows ROOT NW-HD carrying both semi-finals)

Women's Championship on Tuesday will be on ESPNU
    Sorry, I missed that. Thanks for the info.
    Bring back the OCC

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

If I was the Lady Zags I would spend most of my halftime on the court practicing 3 pointer, jumpers, and layups.

Wow we need to practice shooting on this court early tomorrow morning also. 3 point shooters would shoot about 100 each, middle range jump shooters another 100.

We got to make the layups, you know who you are Lady Zags. Heck a senior citizen like me could have made could have equaled that production for shots in first half. We need muscle memory on these shots.

No more excuses Lady Zags Reveille Reveille.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 03-08-2021 at 09:41 PM.

Zags Win 72-62 over Santa Clara. Sloppy right to the end JT threw away a pass to SC player. Ugly game Zags had like 21 turnovers.

Yvonne looked good on offense. Yvonne liked her sure handed on offense and one dribble move underneath. Way to many travels by other Zags bigs underneath, need to clean that up.

Good to see Cierra heat up in 2nd half. Good to see JT finally make a wide open 3 pointer.

JT need to shoot a ton of shots before Saturday game, both 3 pointers, and jump shots. Truong's must take care of ball, but good job on the free throw line.

Exhale come ready to play tomorrow Lady Zags.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 03-08-2021 at 10:00 PM.

Zags Win 72-62 over Santa Clara. Sloppy right to the end JT through away to SC player. Ugly game Zags had like 21 turnovers.

Ejim looked good on offense still needs work on defense. Ejim liked her sure handed on offense and one dribble move underneath. Way to many travels by other Zags bigs underneath, need to clean that up.

Good to see Cierra heat up in 2nd half. Good to see JT finally make a wide open 3 pointer.

JT need to shoot a ton of shots before Saturday game, both 3 pointers, and jump shots. Throng's must take care of ball, but good job on the free throw line.

Exhale come ready to play tomorrow Lady Zags.
    ZAB, I just don't get your obsession with more offense.

You mean that even though the Zags scored 72 points (more than their season average) shooting 47.4% overall, 27.8% from 3 (needs work) and 92.9% from the free throw line this is not good enough for you?

Yes, the 21 Gonzaga turnovers leading to 15 SCU points is totally unacceptable especially when so many of the turnovers were self inflicted (travels, bad passes, etc.). If the Zags had a more reasonable 11-12 turnovers and the Zags shot the percentage they did, SCU would have had say 7 fewer points and the Zags would have had an additional 10 points leading to an 82-55 score. Still not enough offense for you?

Yeah, absolutely JT needs to take a ton of shots, she only shot 50% overall (the horror of it all). Is 50% from the field is not good enough for you? Did you only mean long range shots where JT was only 1-4, what about the Truongs, who combined, took more 3s (6 total) and made fewer (0) than JT.

You say the Truongs must take care of the ball, however K-11 only had 1 turnover. Yes K-14 had 4 turnovers, but what about JW with 4, LW with 5, and MK with 4. Might want to check your stats. The vast majority of the turnover problem was with the bigs, not the guards.

I thought YE did a really good job on defense. They only problem I saw was when she got stuck on VanAllen on a switch and she could not stay with the guard. Just like JT, AOC and the Wirths.

Personally, I will take the same 72 points tomorrow, count on the Zags to cut down on the turnovers, and expect the Gonzaga defense to show up and keep whoever the opposition is under the 72 points.

ZagDad

End of 3rd quarter BYU had game in bag 64-32. BYU faces Zags tomorrow 1:00 PM tomorrow on ESPNU.

In first 3 quarters BYU used only 7 players in first 3 quarters. They could empty the bench in 4th quarter whenever coach Judkins wants.

Keys to game tomorrow for Zags. Get 13# Harding and #22 Hamson in foul trouble. Harding seems unstoppable in recent games and against us past games she is dominating.

#13 Harding seems to have no weakness shoots nice midrange jump shot, has been knocking down 3 point shots 4-9 today. Truong's right now are the best at setting up for charges also, do we have one to cover Harding?

#22 Hamson is a disrupter of inside game when in the game also gets easy buckets 4 layups in 3 quarters, only ones I saw get past her previous games were Truong's with their speed and they also got fouls on her.

#12 Gustin hammers the boards even if you keep her off scoreboard, had 10 rebounds today in 3 quarters. Must keep #12 Gustin off the boards.

#10 Graham comes off the bench was 4-5 on 3 pointers through 3 quarters. Must be aware when #10 Graham comes in the game and keep someone on her from 3 point line. #10 Graham is a concisely good 3 point shooter.

#11 Smiler is also a 3 point shooter coming off the bench. Was 1 for 2 3 pointers today.

#2 Gonzales oh yeah co player of the year had 10 points today.

San Francisco had no inside game today, could not take advantage when Hamson was out. When Hamson is on the bench you must dominate inside. Like Yvonne's offense off the bench when Hamson is out.

Lady Zags play smart no over the back fouls. Must be energized tomorrow from the tip off. Harding and Gonzales in tremendous shape they will play 40 minutes if needed.

Were going to have to shoot lights out tomorrow and get BYY key players in foul trouble, and avoid stupid fouls yourself. Keep Hamson from getting those east dish offs for layups.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 03-08-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Get those practice shots in tomorrow morning. Truong's, JT, Cierra, Abby shoot at least 50, 3 point shots from every where. Wirth Twins, Melody, practice footwork under basket no travel calls tomorrow. Work as a team Bigs underneath the basket. denying both #22 Hamson and #12 Gustin. JT practice those mid range jumpers (50). Yvonne be ready we need your offense tomorrow.

Keep that defense tight on the 3 point line Lady Zags, no stupid 3 point fouls though.

Reminder Lady Zags saw a lot of lazy cross court passes today, #2 Gonzales will jump out and steal those passes and take it to the hoop on the other end, make those passes crisp.

Good Luck tomorrow Lady Zags.

Guess several Lady Zags sick with Gastritis, suspect food poisoning. Heartbreaking for Lady Zags today.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 03-09-2021 at 04:48 PM.

Zags have some ill players due to Gastritis heard, noticed JT not starting heard them talking about her.

Six players plus some staff members, according to the broadcasters. . .why would you single out JT ?

Leeanne not playing today one of the players thats sick. 22-13 at halftime BYU up. Cierra heard also had been sick.

What can you say but get well Lady Zags.

Not that I know any specific details in this situation, but it sure sounds like Norovirus. Has a very short incubation time and spreads like wildfire. It's awful, usually simultaneous nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. It usually lasts less than 24 hours. Some of those kids are going to be dehydrated.

Better than Covid at least.

ETA: It's resistant to hand sanitizer as well.

ETA2: Townsend has a bandaid on her inner L elbow. Probably got IV hydration.

Zags win 43-42 Love you Jill.