Thread: Gonzaga vs. San Diego post game thoughts?

Default Gonzaga vs. San Diego post game thoughts?

- i heard that the #1 team in america had a game tonight?
    - i heard this is the premier men's basketball social media site?
    - perhaps not, the game if it was played ended 3 1/2 hours ago.
    - but if i'm miss informed and anyone saw the game and wishes to comment on same.......fell free to do so here.

Maybe people forgot to watch

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Maybe people forgot to watch
    - most likely they all went down to the davenport to get in their order of farnham bread

I watched every second of the game, but honestly, I was bombed out of my skull by the 2nd half. Greggy played, and I saw that he scored. A win is a win, but I never felt we were in danger of losing. No offense to the Zags, but when the game is over at halftime, I reach for the snacks and the bottle. When the ESPN guys go off on a food tangent, so do I.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

i can confirm previous suspicions...kispert's shot is definitely a little flat and coming up a little short right now. he might need that time off before march madness starts to recharge.

Aaron's steal and dunk was #3 on ESPN's Top Ten tonight.

34 points by the bench players. Someone else said that they scored 24 in the last 10 minutes. I think that is great.

Ballo didn't impress.

Gregg did OK and if the 3's start to drop, he will be an asset.

Pavel hit a 3. I didn't know he had it in him, and he finally got some game.
    Are you laughing at ME?

It was a butt whipping. It seems this place is more active when their is drama and struggles.

Gregg starting to look more comfortable out there. He's going to be a player. Strawther and Harris continuing to develop and settle in. A lot to be excited about, this season and next.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Love the Zags’ focus and full throttle approach on both ends. USD may be a weak opponent but Zags are doing all they can in terms of bringing the intensity, competing and executing the game plan. Kispert looks like he is rushing his shot at times and, as noted, not much arc on his shots. Could playing the 4 be taking a toll on CK physically and wearing him down to point his jump shot is suffering?

I actually hope the national pundits start singing Zags’ praises a little less and questioning the quality of their recent competition more. Give the team a chip on their shoulder heading into postseason.

Very puzzling minutes for Ballo or lack thereof. He got in but then was pulled for what one would assume was big opportunity for him to get some decent minutes. Maybe coaches saw something not right w him physically or maybe just not seeing him perform to standards?

Aaron Cook making strong statement w minutes he gets. Love his baseline move and throw down dunk
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Gonzaga with a 37 point blowout victory. After the victory Kenpom has the Zags ranked #3 on defense, and from what I saw last night they desrve it for sure. The defense just keeps getting better and better. And I love it. I believe this is the best defensive team Gonzaga has ever had, and it's a defense without a premier shot blocker. This is a team that knows, and loves, playing as a team, with everyone helping out when help is needed. And the Zags are fast. This is a really fast team and they love playing fast.

They get that rebound, or in last night's case-steals, and off they go. Run baby run. And they are fast, and they can pass with the precision of a surgeon. Most of the time. I'll admit, at times they do pass with sloppiness. And when that happens it just looks really weird because most of the time the passing is exquisit. They need to begin to clean THAT up.

Offensively, it's really quite amazing that the Zags can score 106 points and shoot so poorly from the 3 point line. The got to be the best team in America that scores as much from inside the key as the Zags do. Usually when I think of scoring inside the key I think of really good low post players. I mean the powerful low post players. But that's not the case here. We don't have that BIG center. That powerful center. What we have is a power forward playing center (timme) who plays that position with the quickness and craftiness of a guard. I have to admit that I am really beginning to watch how he scores. The defender NEVER knows what he's going to do because he has so many different kinds of moves inside the paint. He is like a magician who pulls one trick after another out of his hat.

And then you have to look at the other players who ARE guards, who also score inside the paint time after time. This is a team who LOVES to attack the basket off the dribble. These 4 guards are indeed powerful. Even Nembhard who doesn't have the look of a power player, attacks the basket successfully time after time. He is so crafty with the ball in his hand, like Timme, but at 6'3". I love to watch Nembhard play with the ball in his hands, just like Timme.

And there's Kispert and Suggs who are so powerful with the ball in their hands. They just dominate their defenders with their strength. And finally, when I think of magicians I most often think of Ayayi. He has to be the trickiest player in the USA. You just never know what he's going to do. Like all of them, he does what he needs to do each and every game. The games change, as do the players who try to guard us; so the Zag team ALWAYS adjusts to what the other guys are doing....and they always find a solution. Or should I say solutions because there are so many.

Do we have games next week? I hope so.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I like what we saw from the bench in last night’s game. Cook is a great point guard who would start for most power conference teams. I appreciate the leadership and experience that he brings to the second unit. Watson seems to be playing better in the sixth man role than he did as a starter. Cook and Watson are great defenders who can enter a game and disrupt opposing offenses as much as any of the starters. Strawther seems to be improving week to week. I like having another athletic “wing four” that is fast enough to run with the starting unit. He is starting to understand his role in the team defense and gives us a viable backup to Watson in the defensive wing forward role.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post

Very puzzling minutes for Ballo or lack thereof. He got in but then was pulled for what one would assume was big opportunity for him to get some decent minutes. Maybe coaches saw something not right w him physically or maybe just not seeing him perform to standards?
    I gets in before Zakharov, but plays very few minutes. Zakharov actually is more mobile and fits their style of play this year better. Ballo is wearing out an approximately 12 ft wide path (the width of the key) from basket to basket, which is fine and is just an observation. This team is full of sports cars and Ballo is a train right now. I am still high on Ballo. Zakharov showed a nice 3-point shot last night and is pretty bouncy, so he is a mystery, and my conjecture is that maybe he just isn't getting the X's and O's of the offense, the or defense, or both.

https://static.gozags.com/custompage...21/plyr_24.htm

Re: Kispert's 3FG

Games 1 - 7: 26/50-- 52%
    Games 8 - 14: 18/40-- 45%
    Games 15 - 22: 15/39-- 38.4%

Season: 59/129--45.7%, #6 in the country. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...1-leaders.html

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    https://static.gozags.com/custompage...21/plyr_24.htm

Re: Kispert's 3FG

Games 1 - 7: 26/50-- 52%
    Games 8 - 14: 18/40-- 45%
    Games 15 - 22: 15/39-- 38.4%

Season: 59/129--45.7%, #6 in the country. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...1-leaders.html
    I honestly think it's just a combination of Corey getting off to a flaming hot start, the WCC (and defenses in general) are tracking him hard, and his shot getting a wee bit flat. Defenses would rather avoid Gonzaga making 3s and the primary culprit is Corey. Not that it even matters because Gonzaga wants to attack the rim and not rely on 3s; a powerful offensive structure that can be relied on night in, night out. The extra rest between the end of the season and the big dance will do his legs wonders to get just a little more lift. I trust Corey to figure it out in time. He knows exactly what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by StatZag19 View Post
    I honestly think it's just a combination of Corey getting off to a flaming hot start, the WCC (and defenses in general) are tracking him hard, and his shot getting a wee bit flat. Defenses would rather avoid Gonzaga making 3s and the primary culprit is Corey. Not that it even matters because Gonzaga wants to attack the rim and not rely on 3s; a powerful offensive structure that can be relied on night in, night out. The extra rest between the end of the season and the big dance will do his legs wonders to get just a little more lift. I trust Corey to figure it out in time. He knows exactly what to do.
    Yep teams are running him off the line and not letting him get any looks...picking him up on transition at peril of other zags being open......I believe the defensive adjustments made byWCC has created Timme operating freedom which has done us well
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

For the older posters: 1964-1965 UCLA Bruins - 2 losses + Timme = 2020-2021 ZAGS.
    That team scored 100 points a game in their 4 tournament games, had a short team compared to most great college teams
    (6' 3 1/2" average starting lineup), did a lot of full court pressing, and had Jalen Suggs---whoops, I meant Gail Goodrich.
    Their team also had a pretty good coach....
    Had the wrong year. It was 1963-1964. They went 30-0. The first UCLA National Championship. John Wooden was in his 16th year. And that team only averaged 89.75 points per game in the tourney.
    Last edited by JPW314159; 02-21-2021 at 01:35 PM.