Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn’t Ballo play more

Default Why doesn’t Ballo play more

I don’t understand why Oumar plays so little. We all know that one of our potential weaknesses is front court depth, a big banger and rim protection. Ballo provides some of this. He had some productive minutes early in the year against some of the good, big, tough teams. And now he hardly plays. I know Mark Few is one of the best coaches in the game and I am just a guy with a keyboard, but I don’t get it. Has he regressed?

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
    I don’t understand why Oumar plays so little. We all know that one of our potential weaknesses is front court depth, a big banger and rim protection. Ballo provides some of this. He had some productive minutes early in the year against some of the good, big, tough teams. And now he hardly plays. I know Mark Few is one of the best coaches in the game and I am just a guy with a keyboard, but I don’t get it. Has he regressed?
    He hurt his thumb a few weeks ago. I suspect he is still somewhat hindered by that.
    Are you laughing at ME?

The team is not better with him on the floor. I hope the reverse is true next year.

That’s the simple answer (my thoughts, obviously).

I honestly don’t think he’s good enough yet.
    Maybe next year he can give valuable minutes off the bench.
    Not this year.

Unhappy Zak's not playing either

Why's Zakharov getting little-to-no PT? Four star, Top-100 guy. Not a minute tonight. Injury? High-schooler Gregg plays (which is good), walk-ons play (which is good), but not Pavel.

:[
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I have the answer. Drew Manchu. He is a terror when he is close to the basket. I love Oumar and I love his blond hair, but he is not Drew.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Because he is not very good.

+1, Ballo gets the minutes he deserves relative to his teammates. Simple logic - you lobby for Ballo over whom exactly? You post for Ballo, asking he get minutes for over the expense of exactly which players???

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Correct
    Which one of you wants to tell the coaches that signed him?

It's pretty obvious that you know more than they do. Man up and tell them to their faces.
    Are you laughing at ME?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Which one of you wants to tell the coaches that signed him?

It's pretty obvious that you know more than they do. Man up and tell them to their faces.
    Is ballo better than most on this board? Yes. Is he good relative to those on the team and ahead of him? Nope. Few doesn’t need me to tell him. He has him sitting on the bench because of this reason and if he doesn’t improve he will follow the zacharov, Andy poling route.

I'm sure the coaches can see for themselves. Recruiting has hits and misses every year. This may be no different, or maybe Ballo just needs more time. To me he looks a bit lost, confidence is in the basement. Zakharov and Ballo so far have underachieved where we all thought they would be. Next year is up in the air with bigs bit I could see Kaden Perry and Gregg taking significant minutes.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    I'm sure the coaches can see for themselves. Recruiting has hits and misses every year. This may be no different, or maybe Ballo just needs more time. To me he looks a bit lost, confidence is in the basement. Zakharov and Ballo so far have underachieved where we all thought they would be. Next year is up in the air with bigs bit I could see Kaden Perry and Gregg taking significant minutes.
    Yup

He’s two years away from being two years away. There are misses in recruiting all the time. Ballo may be one.

Zakharov....... Seems like he came to us with good reviews. I'd like to see more of him but not one minute???

He’s two years away from being two years away. There are misses in recruiting all the time. Ballo may be one.
    Remember 2 years ago ago when some said Joel Ayayi should transfer out of Gonzaga? You guys will eat your words on 18 year old Ballo.

At the start of the year Ballo was 3 steps slow, his processing makes him look like a fish out of water. Now it looks like Omuar is only a step and a half behind. IF you are a young developing player playing behind a big man like Timme unless you have athletism like B.C. you are going to look foolish. Thats what Ballo is a young player who is way behind the starting 7 and can hopefully give you some minutes. I would say fairly typical process in college basketball, not everyone comes to Gonzaga ready to play. I rember after Joel's first year playing most were ready to give up on him, some kids just need time.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Remember 2 years ago ago when some said Joel Ayayi should transfer out of Gonzaga? You guys will eat your words on 18 year old Ballo.
    False equivalencies are common in sports punditry, as is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Zakharov....... Seems like he came to us with good reviews. I'd like to see more of him but not one minute???
    I've noticed that Coach Few isn't content with him and not sure why, I like his defence and offence much better than Ballo's AND I'm not bashing either player just noticing lack of PT for both players...Zakharov has only played in "8" games this season and token minutes at best...don't know what the future has in store for him at GU

Ballo is just a mystery to me and am just waiting to see "when the light comes on!" His hands just seem so weak and not sure you can "coach" that...

My guess on Pavel is they have agreed for him to transfer after the year and are holding him out until then, probably a mutual agreement.

Ballo can definitely develop into a contributor at some point in his career. Or maybe it never comes together. He is not very good right now (relative to the level he is playing at) and should not play on this year's team until the game is out of reach.

One rotational tweak I wouldn't mind in WCC games is more first half minutes for Strawther, although he struggled last night. I'd like to see him playing in a role surrounded by starters where he can spot up and not have to initiate as much offense.

Ballo isnt good enough now that's why he doesnt play more. Doesnt mean he cant get there down the road. He wont be 19 until July and still has 4 years left.

Ballo is not a D1 player right now. So fitting him in anywhere is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Ballo isnt good enough now that's why he doesnt play more. Doesnt mean he cant get there down the road. He wont be 19 until July and still has 4 years left.
    I don’t agree. Other than his size, which is formidable, I don’t see any aspect of his play that inspires optimism he will improve enough.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    My guess on Pavel is they have agreed for him to transfer after the year and are holding him out until then, probably a mutual agreement.
    Not trying to start a "rumor" but that's my guess as well...I can see the frustration on his face during time-outs and when he is sitting way in the back...

At least Pavel will not have wasted a year of eligibility, as I understand it.