Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga to skip WCC tourney?

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Maybe some will be rescheduled but I think teams that are locks will choose not to play in the tournaments. A game in the dance can validate your whole season. It's that important.

If you are a lock and are given an incentive to not play (covid/injury/lower seed) and it gives your league another auto-bid, that's pretty tempting. No one will dare question your motives for sitting out because they could be accused of not caring about other peoples' lives.

Weigh what Baylor has to gain and what they have to lose playing in their tourney and it's obvious.
    To be honest, if I was the NCAA, I would be really wary of giving a bid to a team that skipped their conference tourney, if their league held one.

Giving bids to teams that sat out their conference tourney would create perverse incentives for future tournaments that don't have COVID uncertainty hanging overhead.

I would feel sick and betrayed by my alma mater if GU sat out a WCC tourney, and wouldn't blame the NCAA for not inviting them to the NCAA tourney if they did so.

Anybody, anywhere, anytime. A reputation for doing things the right way, earned the hard way - like GU did - can be squandered in a day.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    Maybe some will be rescheduled but I think teams that are locks will choose not to play in the tournaments. A game in the dance can validate your whole season. It's that important.

If you are a lock and are given an incentive to not play (covid/injury/lower seed) and it gives your league another auto-bid, that's pretty tempting. No one will dare question your motives for sitting out because they could be accused of not caring about other peoples' lives.

Weigh what Baylor has to gain and what they have to lose playing in their tourney and it's obvious.
    What if Gonzaga, fearing the worst, chooses to not honor their contract with the WCC, plays in the dance as a wild card, wins the Natty and gets kicked out of the WCC IN ALL SPORTS and doesn't get any of the money that the NCAA gives to the conference?

What then?
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

WCC should move the Tourney up a week or GU should skip. For those saying GU should absolutely play: How would you feel if it costs them the NCAA tournament? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagricultural View Post
    WCC should move the Tourney up a week or GU should skip. For those saying GU should absolutely play: How would you feel if it costs them the NCAA tournament? Really?
    What if I get in a car accident driving to work today?
    Risk aversion is just not the mentality that will get this team to the promised land. Zags could isolate for 3-4 straight weeks yet one player/staff member could still end up getting Covid and whole season is derailed.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    What if I get in a car accident driving to work today?
    Risk aversion is just not the mentality that will get this team to the promised land. Zags could isolate for 3-4 straight weeks yet one player/staff member could still end up getting Covid and whole season is derailed.
    isn’t risk aversion what teams currently do when they quarantine after exposure?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    isn’t risk aversion what teams currently do when they quarantine after exposure?
    More like following mandatory public health guidelines.

We all engage in risk aversion every day (look both ways before crossing street) but after doing what we can we live life. I’m suggesting skipping WCC tourney would be akin to not going outside for fear of...whatever.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

I hope I can say this with getting into rough waters, but the Covid thing has taken on more moral/ethical implications than most other risk aversion stuff, and this has factored into a lot of decision-making. There isn’t really a good analogy for the situation we’re in, in my opinion.

The NCAA should have moved back the tournament a week or so to allow the conference tournaments to be played with less risk of missing the dance for the teams playing in the conference tournaments.

Too late to do that?
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    The NCAA should have moved back the tournament a week or so to allow the conference tournaments to be played with less risk of missing the dance for the teams playing in the conference tournaments.

Too late to do that?
    CBS won't allow the tournament to move if The Masters golf tournament is still the week after the championship game.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I hope I can say this with getting into rough waters, but the Covid thing has taken on more moral/ethical implications than most other risk aversion stuff, and this has factored into a lot of decision-making. There isn’t really a good analogy for the situation we’re in, in my opinion.
    Agree w you 100% JP and while it’s easy for me to toss around opinions about this situation I definitely do not envy Few and Roth et al the decisions they have to make. Not to mention the stress all this uncertainty puts on everyone.

If the WCC holds a conference tournament Zags need to play out of respect for the conference. Would really set a bad precedent to opt out. Would be considered beyond arrogant !

Quote Originally Posted by All Weather Fan View Post
    If the WCC holds a conference tournament Zags need to play out of respect for the conference. Would really set a bad precedent to opt out. Would be considered beyond arrogant !
    This is a completely different circumstance with the covid pandemic. This would be to solely protect the team and other teams etc. If SM, Pepp, SF were a lock to make the tournament they would have the same concern.
    America's Team!

SPORTING NEWS
    WRITTEN BY
    MIKE DECOURCY 4 hrs ago

The Atlantic 10 will stage its tournament at two venues in Richmond, leading to less intersection among the competing teams. The Big Ten moved its tournament to Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, a vast venue that can hold multiple courts. Competing in Indy also means those Big Ten teams chosen for the NCAAs only will have to travel from campus once; they’ll go to Indy and stay there until they either are eliminated from the NCAA Tournament or leave with the championship trophy.

Based on comments Thursday from Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth to The Spokesman-Review of Spokane, this appears to be the Zags’ ultimate goal: a tournament staged in a less congested environment than Las Vegas. That likely is why BYU became part of the conversation, because the Cougars aren’t such a dead-solid lock to be included in the NCAAs but are the second-most prominent WCC program.
    “It’s a daily conversation,” Roth told beat writer Jim Meehan. “If the tournament were to be played right now, our teams would be there representing our university and the WCC and doing everything in our power to win it. That’s about as much of a guarantee as I can give at this point.

"We have an obligation to play this conference tournament because we’re part of the conference.” - Coach Kelvin Sampson

We have the same obligation to the WCC. Play the tournament and honor our obligations.

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

It is in the WCC's best interest to have their representative(s) to the Big Dance enter it at full strength. Therefore the conference should be considering a variety of measures to ensure they are mitigating as much risk/exposure as possible - for ALL teams. Limit games, limit locations, limit inter-team interactions.

They will not do this, but my proposal would be:

Top 6 teams make the conference tournament.
    First Round 6 vs 3; 5 vs 4 (1 and 2 get BYE) (SATURDAY)
    Semis **Re-seed to ensure 1-seed plays lowest remaining (MONDAY)
    Finals (TUESDAY)

All played at one location (I like spokane, but can see the argument for a neutral site).

I think it will be moved from las vegas to a more secluded venue but idk where.

Just no law suits or evil publicity. Sounds like Mike Roth is a smart cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    WCC should move their tourney up rather than risk losing revenue. If they force GU to play, Zags could keep several players in Spokane and not play others, or forego the usual “sportsmanship” of not running the score up. Stupid result as a response to foolish decision. WCC loathes the Zags because several teams won’t build facilities or field teams to compete with them. After this year, should consider stopping the steal by having basketball teams exit WCC. Other leagues offer more revenues and more NCAA invites. Basta!

Go Zags! Elsewhere!
    I believe WCC contracts with ESPN will prevent this from happening. Tough choice for Roth/Few!

Story Link: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-city-looking/

Spokesman writer Blanchette, from yesterday's paper:

But if a tournament needs to be played – and that’s still a question – what makes even more sense is one in the fashion of that original 1987 event, a stepladder at campus sites where the teams have already been playing. Yes, if the No. 9 seed gets on a roll, that could mean a lot of flying for that team. But if the seeds hold, everyone but the Zags gets on a plane once.

But travel for something like that would stretch the event to nine days, not counting a Sunday off to accommodate BYU. It would have meant starting a week from Saturday; it would have meant putting things in motion earlier.

Instead, the WCC announced on Thursday a full slate of regular-season makeup games of earlier cancellations to be played next week – the Zags getting home dates against Santa Clara and Loyola Marymount.

“It’s not business as usual,” Few said, “and you can’t just roll out and act like it is.”

Can’t risk anyone getting COVID at the conference tournament. We make the WCC come to Spokane or go somewhere else where teams can properly isolate. If any players get COVID then that will put the team in jeopardy for the big dance and that would be a terrible reason if we were to lose a game because of attrition.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

Blanchette outlines the dilemma very
    Bonjour tristesse.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

Blanchette w a nice summary of where things stand. After scheduling makeup games for this week it appears WCC is indeed proceeding w a business as usual plan to have a full tourney in Vegas. This article now has me wavering on my previous “play in WCC tourney no matter what” stance. Vegas is such a high density travelers from all over the country/world spot + these more contagious Covid variants are pretty much everywhere in the states at this point. While other conferences have already proactively adapted their conference tourney plans, the WCC is not demonstrating any kind of nimble leadership here.

WCC hands may be tied by contractual obligations to venue in Vegas (hotels etc too) and given the huge hits any such venues etc have taken this past year I’m sure they aren’t inclined to give WCC a break. Tough situation all around. I don’t think Gonzaga would be widely panned at all if they decide to opt out so as to protect their shot at an NCAA championship. Having said that, ESPN has been very very good to Zags and if Zags aren’t in WCC tourney that could piss off the powers that be in Bristol, CT. If Zags do opt out, may be wise move for Roth and/or Few to do ESPN the courtesy of a phone call and explanation before going public w the decision.

I’m firmly on the fence now.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    Can’t risk anyone getting COVID at the conference tournament. We make the WCC come to Spokane or go somewhere else where teams can properly isolate. If any players get COVID then that will put the team in jeopardy for the big dance and that would be a terrible reason if we were to lose a game because of attrition.
    What conference host would be able to set up a facility where the teams are in a motel attached to the arena? GU will fly in on Sunday in a chartered jet, by then there will only be 3 other teams left on the men's side. They will play Monday/Tuesday and then fly back on a chartered flight. They will probably only be in their rooms or on the court the entire time they are in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    What conference host would be able to set up a facility where the teams are in a motel attached to the arena? GU will fly in on Sunday in a chartered jet, by then there will only be 3 other teams left on the men's side. They will play Monday/Tuesday and then fly back on a chartered flight. They will probably only be in their rooms or on the court the entire time they are in Vegas.
    Motel/hotel? With remote learning there may be dorm space at most schools (I don't have a clue since my kids, nieces and nephews are more than 10 years beyond college). Are most students back on campus?

Hypothetically, if there is a tournament...

There is basically a week before the tourney, each team should test each member of the accompanying party at least two times, with the last time the night before they play...

GU doesn't stay at The Orleans...think the Mandalay is their "home" of choice so their mixing with others will drastically be limited to just time on the court and then off, back on the bus and to the Mandalay for dinner and rest for the Championship game on Tuesday...

There are schools that have had serious issues with maintaining COVID isolation protocols...those are the schools that concern me...we play those schools in the next 7+ days...hopefully, we will survive these games without incident...

Go Zags!!!