Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga to skip WCC tourney?

Default Gonzaga to skip WCC tourney?

Itís an open question at this point. Letís keep this post on-topic lest we lose it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun...tournament/amp

They mentioned, if I recall, skipping the tournament to avoid losing players to Covid-19 or injuries. If it were to be justified, I do not think it should be for injuries, as these are a risk every tournament, and it would set a bad precedent. Using Covid-19, in a year where a lot of things are different, as a reason is more justified. The players always seem to appreciate playing in-- and if fortunate enough to-- winning the WCC tournament. It would still be a significant accomplishment, even for a team as good as this. As a fan, it has been a time when players have stepped up and created some really good memories with their performances (Tillie's 3-point run and McLellan's scoring performance come to mind).

Smile Options to GU skipping the WCC Tourney

Been off GU Boards for a few hours, so not sure what went south with the other thread. Here's hopefully a fair and non-incendiary question: If GU were to skip the WCC Tourney, would the team be able to "keep sharp" by playing a couple of OOC/QUAD-1 games instead -- something set up school-to-school like our early tussles with Kansas and Auburn?

The flip side, perhaps, is that BYU's a QUAD-1, and they're a likely foe in Vegas. My concern is not playing at all for a couple/three weeks. Hate to get rusty prior to the Big Dance. (Peace.)

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Been off GU Boards for a few hours, so not sure what went south with the other thread. Here's hopefully a fair and non-incendiary question: If GU were to skip the WCC Tourney, would the team be able to "keep sharp" by playing a couple of OOC/QUAD-1 games instead -- something set up school-to-school like our early tussles with Kansas and Auburn?

The flip side, perhaps, is that BYU's a QUAD-1, and they're a likely foe in Vegas. My concern is not playing at all for a couple/three weeks. Hate to get rusty prior to the Big Dance. (Peace.)

I’d like to play the tourney, but if we could play a couple big ooc games instead, no big loss. If we’re just scrimmaging internally, that would be a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post

It would be hard to justify skipping because of possible COVID issues and then playing other teams that might bring possible COVID issues.

I would say a hard NO.
    Are you laughing at ME?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    It would be hard to justify skipping because of possible COVID issues and then playing other teams that might bring possible COVID issues.

I would say a hard NO.
    This plus any Quad 1 team that might be available during last week of Feb or early March would likely prioritize making up a conference game a la Villanova instead of playing Zags. Having said that, maybe one of Lunardi’s “last 4 in” or “first 4 out” teams would jump at the opportunity to take a shot at the Zags and boost their resume...just by keeping game close even maybe.

Zags and BYU possibly opting out of WCC tourney has some logical rationale but I hope they do not. Assuming the conference would still choose tourney winner as auto bid recipient, which of course they would or why play the tourney at all, it’s definitely gaming the system to get 3 WCC teams into March Madness. Would piss NCAA off and college basketball in general as doing so would steal some bubble team’s bid and who knows what long term unintended consequences may come about as a result.

Most of all, Few has been big on publicly noting how doing “what’s good for college basketball this season” is so important when talking about scheduling this season. Well, gaming the system in this way would arguably be best for Gonzaga and BYU and WCC but definitely not what’s best for college hoops in general imo. Few would look pretty hypocritical in my eyes if he conveniently disregards what’s best for college hoops now.

Some may argue that what’s best for college hoops is to have an undefeated Zags team in March Madness and opting out of WCC conference makes that more likely thus its the right decision. To that I must go w personal experience in competitive sports, playing not to get injured always seemed the surest way to get injured. Zags w something like 3-4 weeks of no games and no weekly game prep routines is no guarantee nobody on team/staff gets Covid during that time.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

I think willandi and Flex both have solid points of view...

With regards to willandi's post (#5) the Zags were off from last season when they played Kansas and put one of the worst losses on them in years, in fact "breaking the clock" so to speak...so not sure the layoff will really hurt them...sure would give Timme a few more weeks to get that 3pt shot down pat...

I think Flex's point has one flaw and that is "IF" GU and/or BYU skip the tournament for whatever reason, the Tourney winner might or might not be picked to enter the Dance...the WCC is only going to get two teams...the B10 could get 10 teams and the committee will not drop a B10 team for an unknown WCC third team...jmho

I like the idea of playing one of the "1st four in" teams but we wouldn't know before the selection committee meets to know who they are...

Maybe a game against WSU or EWU or even Seattle would be a pretty decent choice...just a warm up game on a neutral court in Spokane...

Being a betting man, GU plays their two games in the WCC Tourney and that would be that...

can someone explain to me the difference as it pertains to the alleged three reasons to skip the WCC tournament (Injury, bad loss, covid exposure) would not be possible if Gonzaga scheduled 2 other games in lieu of the tournament game? Seems pretty weak sauce and I would be truly disappointed if I heard those actual words (versus speculative which I think this is ) anyone from Gonzaga is engaged in this discussion........risk seems to be the same and the impact to the integrity and ethics of the institution as it pertains to the Jesuit values of honoring agreements would be substantial.....I know my father has indicated his donations would cease if they made this type of decision
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

If zags skip wcc tourny, they better not play again til march tourny.

I'm loving that we are undefeated and will most likely stay that way after this upcoming Saturday. But we need some more games before our first game in Indy. I don't care if it's Our Cupcake Lady by the Mysterious Lake; any game is better than just practice.

If we can't get anyone else to play us, then I say we should NOT opt out of the Vegas tourney.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

I think Flex's point has one flaw and that is "IF" GU and/or BYU skip the tournament for whatever reason, the Tourney winner might or might not be picked to enter the Dance...the WCC is only going to get two teams...the B10 could get 10 teams and the committee will not drop a B10 team for an unknown WCC third team...jmho
    Bogozags, NCAA has already said conferences will decide who gets their auto bid: regular season champ or conference tourney champ. My point is based on assumption WCC will designate conference tourney champ as auto bid recipient per usual (or else why bother even having a conference tourney). BYU apparently views themselves as a lock for an at large bid or they wouldn’t even consider opting out of conference tourney thus WCC would be getting 3 teams into the NCAA tourney IF Zags and BYU opt out.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Could BYU, Gonzaga opt out of WCC Tournament?

By Jeff Call Feb 16, 2021, 8:55pm MST

The tournament is scheduled for March 4-9 at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas. The No. 1 Zags are a lock for the NCAAs and don’t need to play in the WCC Tournament, especially in a year when there’s a pandemic going on.

But what about the Cougars, who play Thursday at Pacific after a 10-day layoff and are projected to earn a berth to the Big Dance? ESPN bracketologist Joe Lunardi has BYU as a No. 8 seed in his most reject projections.

John Canzano, a columnist for the Oregonian, tweeted Tuesday afternoon: “Gonzaga and BYU are weighing whether they should opt out of the West Coast Conference basketball tournament. Nothing in it for either program, except risk of injury, bad loss and infection. They’re both NCAA Tournament bound regardless. WCC ADs are talking about this.”

BYU coach Mark Pope addressed this issue, sort of, during his coach’s show on BYUtv Tuesday night. Pope was asked by host Greg Wrubell, the Voice of the Cougars, if it’s Pope’s intent to take his team to the WCC Tournament.

“Yeah, I mean, listen, my intent right now is to go play on Thursday, although we’ve been this close to several games where we’ve actually flown out and the game hasn’t happened,” Pope said. “That’s the point of intent right now. We’re kind of taking this minute-by-minute. That’s why it’s a little bit silly for anyone to imagine they can set anything in stone right now.”

BYU has three games remaining on its regular-season schedule — Thursday at Pacific, Saturday at Loyola Marymount and Feb. 25 at home against Santa Clara.

While the Cougars seem to be safely in the NCAA Tournament field with a NCAA NET ranking of 29, if they were to lose one, or more, of their final three games, they may need the conference tournament to get into the NCAAs.

Meanwhile, the NCAA has mandated that teams must have seven consecutive days of negative COVID-19 tests prior to arriving in Indiana for the NCAA Tournament, which tips off March 18.
    Players must have an additional two negative PCR tests before starting practice.

The Zags and Cougars don’t want to jeopardize their opportunities to play in the NCAA Tournament by contracting COVID-19 cases in Las Vegas.

“A lot of teams are considering trying to find the best path ... because this is unprecedented times. These times don’t require us to do the status quo. That might not be the best answer in unprecedented times,” Pope said. “From the Zags’ perspective, they have one goal in mind right now — to win a national championship. There’s that weighing of, ‘What could get in the way of us having a real shot to do that?’ It’s legitimate for that to be considered. What the final answer is or what the outcome is, I don’t know what’s right. I’m sure we have smart people dealing with it that will figure out what’s right. Certainly, you understand the question. These are questions we need to consider.”

The NCAA announced last week that due to the challenges presented by the pandemic, conferences have a deadline of Feb. 26 to submit their automatic qualifier form that lets the NCAA know whether the automatic qualifier is based on the conference tournament champion or the regular season champion.

If GU wants to avoid the WCC event to avoid potential COVID exposure prior to NCAA’s that seems reasonable since it’s obvious they are a top line team. They shouldn’t go out and schedule other games during that period. Now if GU ants to skip and the WCC mandates they play in the event, I think the subsequent beat downs that will take place in Vegas could be epic.

Smile Prediction: The WCC Tourney with everyone in attendance, as usual.

Given my druthers, and taking the long view, this fan wants the business-as-usual WCC Vegas Tourney. As others have said above, if GU skips Vegas for COVID reasons, then last-minute rescheduling of an OOC opponent reintroduces the COVID problem. Though this fan would really, really like to see a couple more OOC Quad-1s somehow squeezed in, if "the squeezing in" means squeezing out conference foes, that's an arrogant and indelible look.

However (the calendar somehow permitting!), this fan still would like one more OOC opponent before Vegas. Like, say, Mark Few's Lady of Coeur d'Alene "Lakers" vs. Kelvin Sampson's Houston "Scaredy-Cats."

Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

"the NCAA has mandated that teams must have seven consecutive days of negative COVID-19 tests prior to arriving in Indiana for the NCAA Tournament, which tips off March 18.
    Players must have an additional two negative PCR tests before starting practice."

Translated - NCAA tells tournament-bound teams to cancel any games scheduled to be played after March 4th or risk being disqualified from playing in the tournament and losing hundred of thousands of dollars.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

It seems that moving up the tournament makes the most sense. Not all games are going to be played at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    If zags skip wcc tourny, they better not play again til march tourny.
    We wouldn't be playing other teams during the same period of time as the tournament. Our last game is scheduled for February 20th, wcc tournament is the weekend of march 6th. We can play ooc games the week of February 22nd and still have time quarantine for the tournament if needed. Otherwise we go a month without playing. The ideal situation imo, if possible, would be to move the wcc tournament up a week to give us more time after to quarantine if needed.

They could play a game in Spokane with a much more controlled infection risk than Vegas. I would try to get that to happen. Going to a multi-team tournament in Vegas over a period of several days is way different, and those saying that they're equal are simply wrong.

After missing the Tournament as a #1 seed last year it would be folly to risk the same fate just to appease the WCC who we will smash anyway if we would play. Not a hard decision if GU just focuses on what's best for them, and their goals. As they should in this case.

WCC should move their tourney up rather than risk losing revenue. If they force GU to play, Zags could keep several players in Spokane and not play others, or forego the usual “sportsmanship” of not running the score up. Stupid result as a response to foolish decision. WCC loathes the Zags because several teams won’t build facilities or field teams to compete with them. After this year, should consider stopping the steal by having basketball teams exit WCC. Other leagues offer more revenues and more NCAA invites. Basta!

Go Zags! Elsewhere!

Whatever happens is whatever happens, but I can't see anyone of substance wanting to bypass their league tourney, eat up practice time, etc., or whatever to play Gonzaga.

The thing that some Zag fans don't want to admit because they are afraid they may appear arrogant to other team's fans.......if you are a power team, do you want to have your butt kicked by the best team in college basketball? Is that going to make you look good? I've heard at least 3 major college basketball writers say the same thing. That they suspect teams have rejected playing GU because they don't wish to risk being embarrassed like Virginia was. Not everyone has a take on all comers personality.

I'd like to see the conference tournament played. As safely as possible (of course). I don't think you ever skip out on competition out of fear of injury like a twisted ankle. That's a quitter's mentality. Player's play. Situations like COVID-19 are a different consideration. The WCC tournament title still matters to m. Because I still remember the days when Gonzaga didn't win it.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    "the NCAA has mandated that teams must have seven consecutive days of negative COVID-19 tests prior to arriving in Indiana for the NCAA Tournament, which tips off March 18.
    Players must have an additional two negative PCR tests before starting practice."

Translated - NCAA tells tournament-bound teams to cancel any games scheduled to be played after March 4th or risk being disqualified from playing in the tournament and losing hundred of thousands of dollars.
    Many conference tournaments end on selection Sunday, so not really, unless all those other tournaments are rescheduled.
    Are you laughing at ME?

Short version - I think it would be bad for GU's image and set a terrible precedent if we skipped the tourney.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    Short version - I think it would be bad for GU's image and set a terrible precedent if we skipped the tourney.
    I align with this view
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Many conference tournaments end on selection Sunday, so not really, unless all those other tournaments are rescheduled.
    Maybe some will be rescheduled but I think teams that are locks will choose not to play in the tournaments. A game in the dance can validate your whole season. It's that important.

If you are a lock and are given an incentive to not play (covid/injury/lower seed) and it gives your league another auto-bid, that's pretty tempting. No one will dare question your motives for sitting out because they could be accused of not caring about other peoples' lives.

Weigh what Baylor has to gain and what they have to lose playing in their tourney and it's obvious.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    I align with this view
    +2