Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Kispert in Minor Offensive Slump from Behind the Arc?

Default Is Kispert in Minor Offensive Slump from Behind the Arc?

Don't get me wrong, this kid plays with old time enthusiasm, unselfishness, dedication, and skill. His defense has improved over last year, and he is truly the leader of this team.

But does it appear to others than he is in a minor slump? All great shooters go through them, and he contributes in so many other ways, but it just seems his jump shot, particularly from beyond the arc, is not what was earlier in the season.

He is. The shooters go hot and cold. All we need is hot in march.

Edit i was wrong.
    Last edited by Zags11; 02-13-2021 at 06:21 PM. Reason: I was wrong. Lol

11-25 (44%) from 3 in last 5 games, all on the road.

No.
    But we don't play nobody.

lol, come on.

Silly thread.

I think he hasn't had the same choice of 3s available to him. Very few trailing 3s, which he seems to hit a high percentage of, and more side-to-side 3s.

FWIW, Luka Garza had a season low 8 points today.

Yes he’s in a shooting slump. He’s not hitting shots he did earlier in the year, but he is still over 48% on the year which is tremendous. It’s a fair question. All shooters maybe minus steph curry have them
    . Even he was 2-9 today from 3. Corey will get it back I believe. The great thing about this team is that he hasn’t been his best lately but we have two other first team caliber AA’s ready to pick up the slack

He needs to start talking to his hand, just like last year...that seemed to bring him out of his funk then.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    He needs to start talking to his hand, just like last year...that seemed to bring him out of his funk then.
    Maybe he can play it some books on tape while he sleeps for some added reps.

Kispert's 3P% has been pretty rock steady throughout conference play:

His offensive rating, however, has dipped in recent games.

He was averaging 22 ppg around mid-January, and now it's 14.8 (these are five game averages, to show recent trends). His playing time is pretty steady, so it's not that. His FT average is also steady. It would seem that the culmination of a dip in 2-pt shooting%, plus a dip in assists, and a bump in turnovers is the culprit for a slight recent decline in his offensive rating*.

The individual stat trends are not that substantial. I'm sure it's not easy getting up for WCC opponents, and it's probably a time to experiment a bit and take some risks more than usual. I'm not worried at all.

*Individual offensive rating is the number of points produced by a player per hundred total individual possessions. In other words, 'How many points is a player likely to generate when he tries?' The basic building blocks of the Offensive Rating calculation are Individual Total Possessions and Individual Points Produced. The formula for Total Possessions is broken down into four components: Scoring Possessions, Missed FG Possessions, Missed FT Possessions, and Turnovers.

i would say kispert is in a little bit of a slump...but not specifically from three...as others have noted, it's more from two. he's missing the shots around the paint and in the mid-range that seemed automatic before. there might be a little fatigue involved and it would be nice for him to catch his second wind soon. someone mentioned in the usf game thread on ssf that his shot looked a little flat and that does seem to be the case at times, even his free throws at usf seemed a tad bit flatter...going in but catching a little of the front rim.

Other teams seem to have a man assigned to cover him at all times. It makes it harder to get his shot off and almost as hard to get the ball to him. The WCC knows his tendencies and the other teams have designed defenses to take Kispert out of the mix somewhat. It means that there is no double on Timme, so he has benefited.
    Are you laughing at ME?

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    i would say kispert is in a little bit of a slump...but not specifically from three...as others have noted, it's more from two. he's missing the shots around the paint and in the mid-range that seemed automatic before. there might be a little fatigue involved and it would be nice for him to catch his second wind soon. someone mentioned in the usf game thread on ssf that his shot looked a little flat and that does seem to be the case at times, even his free throws at usf seemed a tad bit flatter...going in but catching a little of the front rim.
    Just about my observations as well. Floaters in the lane were pretty much right on, but he seems to be leaving a few short at times.

The one free throw he missed in the USF game was on a flatter arc than what he has been doing, and the same with his some of his 2-point shots as well.

It's a long season, and everyone hits a bit a wall at times. Kispert gives a 110% every game, and I expect him to continue. He usually has the best perimeter defender on him in the games. No doubt he will be peaking come tournament time

Not a bit. Other teams have him double teamed most of the time. He's still efficient, just doesn't get the shots. Makes plays work for others though. They can't double team the whole squad.

What I appreciate about Corey is he's forced very few shots. The vast majority of the time, his shots are taken within the flow of the offense. Very few AA's are as patient as Corey.

I like that the added pressure of teams trying to take Corey away is allowing us to adapt to that so when it happens in the tourney we have already experienced it and adjusted. We haven't had much experience with a team being successful at shutting Timme down (WVU did for a bit), so when we play some teams in the tourney that will take some adjustment. More drives for the guards and kick outs for mid-long range shots I'd guess. As zagbeliever said, even if they can limit Timme AND Kispert, they still have to deal with Suggs, Ayayi and Nembhard.

Quote Originally Posted by zagbeliever View Post
    Not a bit. Other teams have him double teamed most of the time. He's still efficient, just doesn't get the shots. Makes plays work for others though. They can't double team the whole squad.
    I noticed that as well insofar as not forcing shots. Sometimes you wonder why his points total isn't higher in a half and you realize he taken only three shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    lol, come on.
    Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Silly thread.
    Re: Kispert's 3FG

Games 1 - 7: 26/50-- 52%
    Games 8 - 14: 18/40-- 45%
    Games 15 - 22: 15/39-- 38.4%

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post

Truth

He does so many things so well. He has significantly improved finishing at the rim due to strength and great upper body control. He is also improved his midrange 2 point shooting over last year. His defense is noticeably better than previous years, and he is developed a darn good floater.

And he usually draws the opponent's best perimeter defender.

Not worried about the 3-pt. percentage drop off, because he contributes in so many other areas.

One of the my favorite all time Zags both as a payer and a leader.

Rather have what we call a slump now then the tourney. So if he goes back to 45% at that time we all will be happy.

Since it's clear that we don't really need 3-pointers to score a ton of points, I'm more concerned with the question of 'what do we do if we're down 3 at the end of a game?' The good news is that over the course of this season our team 3-point shooting is trending up.

39% is higher than I thought we were presently
    respectable for the whole team's average imo

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post

Assuming those numbers are accurate ....it is simply a demonstrative fact....I do not understand the need to excuse or rationalize or minimize them....it is what it is....