Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teams You Do Not Want In Zags Bracket

Default Teams You Do Not Want In Zags Bracket

I haven't started a thread in forever and may be bad at it. This may not be interesting or appropriate but ...

The consensus is that it is Gonzaga/Baylor and a massive gap between them and all the rest. Of course, no one here is so foolish as to think that no one can beat us prior to the NC game.

Not counting the Final Four, What Teams Do You Not Want to See in the Zag bracket in the way of the Final Four:

For me

Houston: They might actually sneak into a one seed, or may drop to a 2-3. I don't want them in our way to the Final Four. They are thick, can score, and come from a mid-major like us and thus tend to be underrated, both with seeding and expectations.

West Virginia: I always hate seeing them because they are always physical and tough, even though we've already beaten them.

Florida State: This should be obvious by now.

Texas Tech: Don't want to see a wrestling match.

I don't watch as much ball as many here, so I am mostly posting to learn from others. Please inform us.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Any team with a length and depth in the post could give this team trouble. I havenít watched Florida St but the typical Seminole team would worry me. Texas Tech has a lot of heart and a good coach, so they could cause some fits to a lot of teams in the tournament.

Kofi Cockburn of Illinois would worry me, also (eta: I suppose pick and roll with Timme would be the way to go on that).

Our Lady of the Lake.

Pretty much just Baylor. I want to see them in the Natty game!
    Getting vaccinated isnít a political issue. Itís a statistical issue of which the evidence of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines are abundantly clear. Staying unvaccinated is denying reality around you.

I'm with JP on Illinois. Dosunmu (3) & Cockburn (10) both in Kenpoms top 10.
    But we don't play nobody.

- agree on houston and a team like texas tech that will want to wrestle rather than play ball.
    - but also michigan and villanova.

I am not convinced there is a big gap between Baylor and Gonzaga and the field....

In the Sweet Sixteen every team will be excellent and playing well....if I were to bet I would bet the field against any individual team.....

BUT Gonzaga seems to have the most trouble against defensively aggressive and physical teams.....as opposed to the nice boys in the WCC...

Huston got caught napping...... but I think the other teams you mention Dixie.... are the one's I can hear..... the theme from Jaws ....when they take the floor... they are not intimidated by Gonzaga and they expect to win...

#1 Villanova (I think they will be a 1 or 2 Seed)
    #2 Texas Tech (3-4 Seed)
    #3 Tennessee (3-4 Seed)
    #4 Houston (2-4 Seed)
    #5 FSU (4-5 Seed)
    #6 Alabama (2-4 Seed)
    #7 Michigan (2-3 Seed)
    ( ) = Projected seeding

I truly hope none of these will be 4 or 5 seeds in our bracket

Oklahoma - the only reason is bc that’s my dads team and if they beat us I don’t think that’ll be good for either of us
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Default The Dakota team with Mike Daum

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere
    Isnít that what everyone says every year? He was at South Dakota state for 10 years. Anyone, any time!

No one but Baylor scares me.

I honestly think that Baylor is the only team that can be the Zags if they play to their ability. As for teams that would be tough matchups I would go with West Virginia, Tennessee, Florida State, and Illinois. I'm not terribly worried about Texas Tech, Villanova, overrated Houston, or Michigan like some are. Those are mostly name programs with solid but not great squads this year. Most overrated conference this year is the Big10, keep that in mind. The SEC and Big12 are legit though.

Nova 5x

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Nova 5x
    Serious question, what about Villanova concerns you outside of their past seasons? They aren't overly athletic, they don't play great defense (53rd), and they aren't exactly dominating who they play. I think if we played Villanova that we'd win by double digits without much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Serious question, what about Villanova concerns you outside of their past seasons? They aren't overly athletic, they don't play great defense (53rd), and they aren't exactly dominating who they play. I think if we played Villanova that we'd win by double digits without much trouble.
    Oh my. That tall, Bucknell grad in the $2,000 suit happens to be the best in the business and scares the beegeezes out of me. The best system in CBB and the best kids to run it.

Some great answers.

Just to make clear. I do believe the championship game will be with Baylor (for some reason I hate the term "natty" but just a matter of taste), and I don't think there's any team that can beat us until that game.

But there are always brackets and match-ups we'd prefer not to have and that's all I was asking. All things being equal, who would you rather not be our 2 seed, 3, 4, etc.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I'm most concerned about Michigan. I have watched three complete games by them. When they are clicking, they look unstoppable. I see Villanova mentioned a lot but, they are winning a lot of games against the Big East, and I'm just not sold on that conference. Michigan is burying BIG 10 opponents with lopsided scores. They run the floor very well and can play up tempo. Really good team.
    I miss Mike Hart

If we are playing like we have the past few games, I fear many teams. Not just Baylor, but many others. A couple dozen others. Will we once again play like we did OOC at the beginning of the season? Stay tuned. I sure hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Oh my. That tall, Bucknell grad in the $2,000 suit happens to be the best in the business and scares the beegeezes out of me. The best system in CBB and the best kids to run it.
    Fair enough, JW is a heck of a coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duke and/or Kentucky. I am being tongue in cheek but not sure I could handle seeing this...

Steph curry's davidson
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by Team Oosik View Post
    Duke and/or Kentucky. I am being tongue in cheek but not sure I could handle seeing this...
    These two teams have underachived this season with the talent they have. I could easily see them get hot and have an AAU game scoring a bunch. I wouldn't overlook these ultra athletic teams.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

From all the games/teams I've watched this season, there are only 2 teams i thought, wow, that's a bad matchup for Zags.

And as great as Baylor is, it's not them. I actually feel we matchup quite well vs them. Their 3 guards vs ours, and our bigs vs their bigs would be a doozy. If they get hot from 3, which seems like every game (40% as a team), could be an issue for us.

However, the two teams I'd be nervous to matchup with are Texas and Michigan.

Texas given their incredible length in the post. Their bigs block shots, run the floor, defend, and just a fast athletic long team.

Michigan given their brute strength at every position. Two big BIGS underneath. All guards are 6'4" or 6'5", plays hard, shoots well, crashes boards, just tough and big all down the roster.

That's really it though.

Villanova, maybe, given their coach yet we'd run circles around their backcourt imo

I think Michigan is the worst matchup of any team in the country for reasons that others have listed. I think that they, like Baylor, are almost certain to be a No. 1 Seed and unlikely to be in the same region as Gonzaga.

Tennessee, Alabama, FSU, and Illinois are probably the teams I would most want to avoid in the Sweet Sixteen/Elite Eight games. I would love to see a bracket stacked with Big East, ACC, and PAC 12 teams, because all three of those leagues look weaker than normal to me.