Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Schedule this week?

Default Schedule this week?

Zags were supposed to play LMU and Santa Clara but both schools are having Covid issues.

LMU postponed game last night vs USD and has postponed SMC on Feb 6th. GU game on Feb 4 still appears on the schedule but it sounds like that could get ppd as well.

Our Santa Clara game Feb 6th is already postponed. Unless we add a game, we might not play again until Feb 11th.

I'm sure Few is working the phones trying to get something added which I hope he does. This team needs to play a P5 school with some size and who plays defense to knock some of the complacency that has been apparent at the start of our WCC games recently.

Michigan is open on Saturday Feb 6th....just sayin'

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Zags were supposed to play LMU and Santa Clara but both schools are having Covid issues.

LMU postponed game last night vs USD and has postponed SMC on Feb 6th. GU game on Feb 4 still appears on the schedule but it sounds like that could get ppd as well.

Our Santa Clara game Feb 6th is already postponed. Unless we add a game, we might not play again until Feb 11th.

I'm sure Few is working the phones trying to get something added which I hope he does. This team needs to play a P5 school with some size and who plays defense to knock some of the complacency that has been apparent at the start of our WCC games recently.

Michigan is open on Saturday Feb 6th....just sayin'

ZZ
    Michigan has Feb 6 open because they are on Covid pause. Michigan had 5 cases of a new Covid strain in their athletic department.

OK.....then not Michigan.

I already checked Texas, 'Nova, Creighton, UNC, Dook, UCLA, USC, Oregon, Oklahoma, BSU, SDSU, Illinois, Minnesota (for Chet), among others and none of them are open either. It's going to be hard in the heart of conference play to find an opponent but we need one.

ZZ

I would guess the most likely is another WCC team who has a game cancelled too. Maybe Pacific Thursday. I dont care who, I just want a game or two this week. Would love to see a big match-up, hope it can be arranged.

OK.....then not Michigan.

I already checked Texas, 'Nova, Creighton, UNC, Dook, UCLA, USC, Oregon, Oklahoma, BSU, SDSU, Illinois, Minnesota (for Chet), among others and none of them are open either. It's going to be hard in the heart of conference play to find an opponent but we need one.

ZZ
    Houston is open. Play Houston
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Houston is open. Play Houston
    In Fort Worth...Zags enjoyed their stay.

Good call. Houston has no games between Feb 3 and Feb 10. They play good defense

I'd rather see them (or someone like them) than shuffling in a WCC opponent.

About Houston from espn.com power rankings last week:

"Since the one-point loss at Tulsa at the end of December, Houston has been on a tear. The Cougars have won six straight games, with five of those victories coming by at least 14 points. They've scored at least 1.05 points per possession in all six games, and still have yet to allow a single opponent to score one point per possession this season. In fact, only one of their last six opponents has even reached 0.90 points per possession. What makes Houston's defense so difficult to score against? Simply put, they contest everything, both inside and outside the arc, they pressure the ball, they force turnovers, they block shots. One interesting nugget: The Cougars send teams to the free-throw line at an extremely high rate (No. 328 in the country, according to KenPom), but opponents shoot just 65.5% from the stripe (25th-worst in the country, per KenPom) against them."

ZZ

Good call. Houston has no games between Feb 3 and Feb 10. They play good defense

I'd rather see them (or someone like them) than shuffling in a WCC opponent.

About Houston from espn.com power rankings last week:

"Since the one-point loss at Tulsa at the end of December, Houston has been on a tear. The Cougars have won six straight games, with five of those victories coming by at least 14 points. They've scored at least 1.05 points per possession in all six games, and still have yet to allow a single opponent to score one point per possession this season. In fact, only one of their last six opponents has even reached 0.90 points per possession. What makes Houston's defense so difficult to score against? Simply put, they contest everything, both inside and outside the arc, they pressure the ball, they force turnovers, they block shots. One interesting nugget: The Cougars send teams to the free-throw line at an extremely high rate (No. 328 in the country, according to KenPom), but opponents shoot just 65.5% from the stripe (25th-worst in the country, per KenPom) against them."

ZZ
    Amazing defense including defending free throws!

That would be a good fill in game.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

- careful for what you wish for (a good defense), houston is only ranked #1 adjD per kenpom

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - careful for what you wish for (a good defense), houston is only ranked #1 adjD per kenpom
    Anyone, anywhere and anytime.

Better to face the best defense now, and learn from it, than to face them in the dance and be found wanting.

I would gladly have the Zags take a loss if they win the Natty.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    Last thing I’m ever worried about is a loss
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

A Houston game would eliminate some of the diminishing spotlight. Baylor keeps getting impressive wins and the national punditry is starting to shift in their direction. A win over Houston would equalize the trending national discussion.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    A Houston game would eliminate some of the diminishing spotlight. Baylor keeps getting impressive wins and the national punditry is starting to shift in their direction. A win over Houston would equalize the trending national discussion.
    Yup. Number 1 offense vs. #1 defense? A game of this caliber would be just about on par with the unfulfilled Baylor tilt. I'm sure I'd bite off all my fingernails with a game like that (nightmares of TTU), but it would be a great, great matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Houston would be a fantastic opponent for Zags to test themselves against this week. Maybe the best prep for a possible game vs Baylor first Monday in April.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

From KREM 2 Sports....

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/...d-a4ce8670a6e0

Zagnut 2012

Quote Originally Posted by zagnut2012 View Post
    Pretty thorough reporting on short notice by Karthik Venkataraman; I follow him on Twitter too. Good stuff

I’m hoping for Houston or Tennessee.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

UCLA seems like the best fit.
    Top 25 team, open schedule, relatively close.

Ooooooo, gimme SLU!!
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Saint Louis is at least a top 50 KenPom and top 25 AP so it would be a good test. They had a 1 month pause so they have only played 9 games and I'm sure they're looking for games. Plus former Zag assistant Ray Giacoletti is an assistant there. I think we also played OK St when Ford was the coach there.

- i'd actually iike to see zags play houston, my comment was to highlight if you want to play a good defense, houston's is best of all.

- acording to that tweet by venkataraman, few said a decision needed to be made within 24-48 hours. that was 38 hours ago. hope we hear something later today!

48 hours go fast.....crickets

Some twitter conversations are saying Tennessee is an option picking up momentum.

Dickau tweeted out that a game has been set but didn't reveal the opponent.

Hopefully an announcement is soon to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Some twitter conversations are saying Tennessee is an option picking up momentum.

Dickau tweeted out that a game has been set but didn't reveal the opponent.

Hopefully an announcement is soon to follow.
    That would be amazing. Great defense, big name, and one I think we will beat 9/10 times.

A report out of Tennessee says its on, Zag vs Vols Saturday Feb 6th 6pm est in Knoxville. Still no official announcement so will have to wait and see. Waiting for a mainstream guy to announce before it a sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I would guess the most likely is another WCC team who has a game cancelled too. Maybe Pacific Thursday. I dont care who, I just want a game or two this week. Would love to see a big match-up, hope it can be arranged.
    As I stated on "other games 1/30/21, Talk around Pacific was the possibility of Gonzaga moving its commitment from Feb 25th to this Thursday... 4th....... That would free up the 'end of the season' match up; and may allow the Zag's to nail down an interconfertnce match up of their liking.... giving them the time to prepare for the NCAA's. There first commitment is to the WCC. If no other team other than Pacific is available, then they might opt for the "Houston" game .... on the week-end. Pacific has already given up a home contest; by willing to play in Portland on the week-end of Feb 20, & 21, a Sat/Sun double header. Freeing up GU's slot in late Feb would allow us to play two games vs St Mary's.... leaving only, Santa Clare and USF matches to be made up! WCC has a 'Mad Puzzle" ... to solve ... and I am beginning to believe they might as well cancel the Tourney and just send the Zag's forward on their own merits; having swept the season.... why endanger their progress to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS??? IMO