Thread: Half baked idea for Zags scheduling/conference

Default Half baked idea for Zags scheduling/conference

The Zags are a great fit for the WCC in everything but basketball now. They are now forced to play an inverted schedule when the top tier WCC teams have off years. What if the Zags split their basketball membership between the WCC and the PAC12? They maintain their rivalries with single games against the WCC, get to play the best PAC 12 teams, and then as part of the agreement play against the field in the PAC 12 tournament as the lowest seed. The PAC 12 would start the first weekend earlier, so the Zags don’t have to play too many games in a row. This also opens up the WCC tourney to have a guaranteed second team. The PAC 12 gets to have the dominant west coast program into the fold, and the Zags get to have a more even schedule where they can mix in some other Blue Bloods.
    Getting vaccinated isn’t a political issue. It’s a statistical issue of which the evidence of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines are abundantly clear. Staying unvaccinated is denying reality around you.

The WCC is better than the PAC12 in basketball and the financial terms are far more desirable IMO.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Probably better TV with the WCC, too. Don’t make me get the PAC 12 network.

Mal, back in the oven at 350.

No, no, a thousand times no. There's a reason why I refer to the Pac-12 as the Joke-12.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Pac 12, Mountain West ...... meh

Default Thanks to Bill Walton...

I refer to them as The Breakfast of Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    No, no, a thousand times no. There's a reason why I refer to the Pac-12 as the Joke-12.

How about the winner of the Reg season Pac 12 and the winner of the Pac 12 tournament get play-in games to the WCC tournament?
    Last edited by willandi; 02-01-2021 at 07:15 AM.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Pac 12, Mountain West ...... meh
    The PAC, top to bottom is a better conference. But it’s not that much better. Also doubt the PAC would let them in for basketball only but who knows, $$ talks.

To me, a better alternative would be to go independent assuming the WCC would allow the Zags to remain in the conference for the rest of the sports they offer.

Play an early season similar to what is being played now with Tex Southern etc. mixed in with quality opponents on neutral sites and home and homes with a good tournie.

Once conference play starts, play a school like Oklahoma the week they play Okie State on Wednesday night. Play Arizona the week they play ASU etc. in home and homes or on neutral sites. Mix in some Big Sky type school that will come to GU for a payday.

Trying to make it as an independent is suicide. Name one school who has done this successfully

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Trying to make it as an independent is suicide. Name one school who has done this successfully
    Why do you think BYU joined the WCC?

No way the PAC would except Gonzaga as a basketball only school......yes, I know about the baseball only period..... but what I would enjoy is a WCC-MW challenge series.....

Gonzaga has no better option than the WCC....if they did, they would exercise it.....as Tom Aquinas said..." Being is, not being is not "

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    No way the PAC would except Gonzaga as a basketball only school......yes, I know about the baseball only period..... but what I would enjoy is a WCC-MW challenge series.....

Gonzaga has no better option than the WCC....if they did, they would exercise it.....as Tom Aquinas said..." Being is, not being is not "
    How Thomistic of you, Bart.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    No one is the answer of course but Gonzaga is really a unique story in the history of college basketball so if anyone could do it, they could though there certainly would be challenges. Would a Big10 team really want to face a powerhouse like the Zags on their “easy” week? What would they to gain? It seems like Few has great relationships with a lot of top coaches so he may be able to pull it off but no guarantees.

The reality is the WCC probably wouldn’t allow them to do it and stay in the conference for the rest of their sports so it’s pretty much a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    No one is the answer of course but Gonzaga is really a unique story in the history of college basketball so if anyone could do it, they could though there certainly would be challenges. Would a Big10 team really want to face a powerhouse like the Zags on their “easy” week? What would they to gain? It seems like Few has great relationships with a lot of top coaches so he may be able to pull it off but no guarantees.

The reality is the WCC probably wouldn’t allow them to do it and stay in the conference for the rest of their sports so it’s pretty much a fantasy.
    Monumental near impossible task to schedule decent opponents as an independent after conference play starts and that is now in December before Christmas for many conferences. Add to that the no auto bid and you have a big negative. WCC has stated in the past that they would not allow a school to participate in all other sports except basketball. Then you have the problem of what to do with womens basketball.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

But only because the conference made last minute, significant concessions to the benefit of GU. At anytime the conclusion could change.

I think the more accurate assessment is, with the recent WCC concessions, and given the current uncertainty (which Roth admitted he always watching with a close eye), it made sense to stick with the WCC. Again, as Roth has stated, he is always monitoring the landscape and GU’s position in it.

And I am always on the lookout for Bigfoot....

Fortunately for us, there is a decent likelihood of moving at some point. It very nearly happened already. With it very nearly happening once, coupled with Roth’s statements, I think it would be ridiculous to assume otherwise.

Your chances of spotting Bigfoot, however, are rather slim; might I say none.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    The Zags are a great fit for the WCC in everything but basketball now. They are now forced to play an inverted schedule when the top tier WCC teams have off years. What if the Zags split their basketball membership between the WCC and the PAC12? They maintain their rivalries with single games against the WCC, get to play the best PAC 12 teams, and then as part of the agreement play against the field in the PAC 12 tournament as the lowest seed. The PAC 12 would start the first weekend earlier, so the Zags don’t have to play too many games in a row. This also opens up the WCC tourney to have a guaranteed second team. The PAC 12 gets to have the dominant west coast program into the fold, and the Zags get to have a more even schedule where they can mix in some other Blue Bloods.
    this feels like a solution in search of a problem. seems like in the status quo we a) regularly beat the top teams in the country b) are often in the hunt for a natty with a realistic chance of winning it all c) recruit at a high level including players that the traditional "blue bloods" would love to have. i guess i'm just feeling really good about where we are so not sure what this gets us other than a few more games against what has become a "meh" conference in basketball.

No doubt this is working....like Saint Mark has said..." Don't mess with happy " ...I will guess that much of this.... and many of us ....would like to see more competitive games....against highly ranked opponents.... and I would like to see Bigfoot....and get a vaccination... and welcome Godot...

No doubt this is working....like Saint Mark has said..." Don't mess with happy " ...I will guess that much of this.... and many of us ....would like to see more competitive games....against highly ranked opponents.... and I would like to see Bigfoot....and get a vaccination... and welcome Godot...
    Yes, but that kind of thinking did Kodak in, it did the likes of blockbuster and MySpace in. If you’re not innovating, your falling behind. That is why Roth is always monitoring, as well he should.

And I am always on the lookout for Bigfoot....
    Just take a short drive up Division. Right by the Y.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

There was a point where the P10/12 actually floated it to GU. So, no, it isn't unrealistic. WCC for everything but hoops was a huge sticking point and likely still is.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I'll put the vaccination at top of my list ... you might try flying to Dubai! Take a ton of traveler's checques along...guessing that would open some doors for you. BTW Bart, you are on a roll today!
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Yes, but that kind of thinking did Kodak in, it did the likes of blockbuster and MySpace in. If you’re not innovating, your falling behind. That is why Roth is always monitoring, as well he should.
    Absolutely.....the only constant is change....and if you don't adapt you are done....but I don't think that Kodak's problems are analogous to Gonzaga's membership in the WCC.... I think Beckett's warning is spot on.....but you are certainly welcome to your opinion ....

Stay Safe and encourage others to do the same.............and I am getting the first shot this week....Bart