Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga should skip the WCC tournament

Default Gonzaga should skip the WCC tournament

I was listening to the CBS eye on college basketball discussion on 1/22 podcast and they discussed an article Norlander had wrote about conference tournaments. LINK

Here's the Mark Few part of the article:

"In every league I think you need to ascertain where exactly your teams are in regard to qualifying for at-larges and what really is to be gained from the league tournament," Gonzaga coach Mark Few told CBS Sports. "The leagues make money off them because of attendance, and there's certainly not going to be full attendance this year -- most of them aren't going to have anybody. So then it becomes, if there's no money to be made, then we need to look at: can we qualify? So-and-so needs a win. In our league, 'Does Saint Mary's need two more Quad 1 wins to clinch their at-large bid?'"
    There is hardly any benefit to Gonzaga to play the tournament. Playing the tournament could cause the program to contract the virus and have to go on pause for the NCAA tournament. I have been fearing that this season could fall apart if someone in the program gets the virus during the NCAA tournament.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I was listening to the CBS eye on college basketball discussion on 1/22 podcast and they discussed an article Norlander had wrote about conference tournaments. LINK

Here's the Mark Few part of the article:

There is hardly any benefit to Gonzaga to play the tournament. Playing the tournament could cause the program to contract the virus and have to go on pause for the NCAA tournament. I have been fearing that this season could fall apart if someone in the program gets the virus during the NCAA tournament.
    Maybe the NCAA should have built in a two-week buffer period after the conference tournaments end to alleviate this issue? Honestly though seems like there'd be a higher probability of contracting the virus while on campus when students are back (although I'm not sure what Gonzaga's state is right now).

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Maybe the NCAA should have built in a two-week buffer period after the conference tournaments end to alleviate this issue? Honestly though seems like there'd be a higher probability of contracting the virus while on campus when students are back (although I'm not sure what Gonzaga's state is right now).
    That would make a lot of sense.
    Bring back the OCC

The guidelines for COVID testing have changed in the last few days and should present much less of a threat to sidelining a team. It's also likely that the virus has already run it's course at GU Basketball.

Even though the Natty is the ultimate goal, I hope they don't take away the opportunity for the guys to play in the conference tourney. It still matters.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    The guidelines for COVID testing have changed in the last few days and should present much less of a threat to sidelining a team. It's also likely that the virus has already run it's course at GU Basketball.

Even though the Natty is the ultimate goal, I hope they don't take away the opportunity for the guys to play in the conference tourney. It still matters.
    This

Not so sure about the virus having run its course; as of right now we know that one player was infected and a couple of staff members. Seems like most of the team hasn't caught it yet and it only takes 1-2 positives to shut everything down again.

Honestly I wish the NCAA had delayed the tournament until the end of April or something; by that time the vaccine would be prevalent and the kids would fall into the general populace that could receive it.

I believe Mr. GoZags was pretty adamant a few days ago that the WCC Tournament isn't likely to be played.

I'd be interested in hearing about his opinion in more detail.

The Virus is in charge and they mutate......nothing is certain.....

I'm really not trying to be combative, but curious to understand why it still matters. I don't think it really means anything for Gonzaga. They will be a number 1 seed in the tournament whether they play in the WCC or not.
    Bring back the OCC

Well, when I’ve watched the Zags in previous years, each one cutting a piece of the net, it sure looks like it’s special.

Dont skip wcc tourny.
    Love the zags for life

There are multiple arguments for playing in the WCC tournament:
    - It seems to me that playing in the tournament is the honorable thing to do. You would potentially rob a more deserving team of a tournament bid by not playing.
    - Not playing would rob GU players of more opportunity to compete and win the tournament trophy.
    - The WCC will be harder fought than conference, in my opinion, and would prepare them more for March.

- i guess i have no hard opinion one way or the other about the wcc tournemant, my eye's our set on the prize........the national championship,
    - if no wcc tournament i'm hopeful that gu might schedule a game or two between the end of the regular season and the ncaa tournament. otherwise we have a 3 week break with no games.

- as to postponing the ncaa tournament 4 weeks, i highly doubt that by april the vaccine is going to be available to those 25 and younger. my wife and i our seniors and she just got her appointment thru her health care provider to get her injection this week. the vaccine is great news and i'm not critical of its rollout, just saying getting 200 million people injected is going to be a long process and 20 year olds are at the end of the line.

- as to the danger of getting the virus at the wcc tournament. that is scheduled presently 2 full weeks before the ncaa tournament. so if someone contracted the virus then, there would be time to quarantine.

- uconn womens coach geno a. said that for all the players and coaches in college who have contracted the virus, they did not do so while participating in a game. i'm not sure of his source for such a statement but i have always thought coach geno as a straight shooter and certainly one who knows his business.

- the virus is a crap shoot no doubt about it. could strike any team anytime anyplace, i do not think we can out think it, out manage it. too the point of saying oh if we just do not do this or wait until then, that that is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post

(although I'm not sure what Gonzaga's state is right now).

Was told by an employee on campus that his guesstimate was 85% of students are physically there. FWIW.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

If I wasn't excited about attending in non-COVID years, I would say skip it every year, and give the WCC a real chance at multiple bids consistently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    If I wasn't excited about attending in non-COVID years, I would say skip it every year, and give the WCC a real chance at multiple bids consistently.
    I'm certain the owners of the Orleans would put a kibosh on your idea, considering that Zag fans are at least 75% of the fans in attendance.

Just my opinion and I don't have access to the data that Roth/Few and the WCC has but:

I couldn't agree more that they should skip it. The year itself is so soft in terms of deserving teams (except in the Big 10, Big 12), that I think a second WCC team would be able to claim it's earned.

And I think it delivers max protection to GU (I am assuming the data bears this out, I could be wrong).

This team's unique focus should be on the NC, they are so much better than every team but Baylor that the WCC would mean almost nothing this year, while also presenting a few dangers in travel.

If the NCAA puts the tournament off until April - something that should also be strongly considered, then I think the Zags would be served by playing in a delayed WCC tournament.

I am positive Roth will make the right decision.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - as to postponing the ncaa tournament 4 weeks, i highly doubt that by april the vaccine is going to be available to those 25 and younger. my wife and i our seniors and she just got her appointment thru her health care provider to get her injection this week. the vaccine is great news and i'm not critical of its rollout, just saying getting 200 million people injected is going to be a long process and 20 year olds are at the end of the line.
    Receiving the vaccine will not change masking requirements, social distancing requirements, occupancy limits, or reduce travel restrictions based on current literature. It's really not a factor for the current season.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

it would be in the interest of every conference to have two weeks between their own tournament and the Big Dance, all are running the same virus risks, and it would provide a quarantine period.
    if there is a WCC tournament, and the zags skip it, another team from WCC would go dancing, i am sure UP, Pepp, BYU, SF, SMC, and Santa Clara would relish that.
    Downside is one team from somewhere else would get bumped, and I am sure they would cry foul about it. That is, unless BYU is high enough to get an at large bid by then, right?
    Let's say we skip, BYU is ranked high enough for an at large selection, then St. Mary's wins the WCC tournament. Could that put 3 teams in the NCAA tournament this year?
    Another question why wouldn't Baylor and many other locks to go dancing skip their own conference tournaments?
    My own opinion is skipping your own tournament because you are dancing anyway seems like a bad idea, taking yourself too serious, claiming special privileges cuz you're on top that year.

IMO It would be disgraceful and arrogant, even if someone had a legitimate strategic argument to make, to skip the WCC tournament. That being said, i'm grateful that following our tournament we have 14 days before the NCAA tourney. I would absolutely hate to be a team like Virginia and lose their players to a covid protocol after winning the ACC, and then losing to a 14 seed because my starters were out.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Receiving the vaccine will not change masking requirements, social distancing requirements, occupancy limits, or reduce travel restrictions based on current literature. It's really not a factor for the current season.
    I have had one eye infection after the next due to wearing these masks for long durations of time with my reading classes. My eyes are constantly irritated. It sucks. It's better than having COVID-19, however.

I thought I had read that the NCAA said that only family members will be allowed to attend NCAA tourney games. If that is true, I'd have to believe those restrictions would be loosened for the Lucas Oil Stadium games. Way more seats, way more chances for social distancing........

Pretty much everyone on the team has had covid, thus the earlier shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Pretty much everyone on the team has had covid, thus the earlier shutdown.
    I'm speculating that this is speculative.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I'm speculating that this is speculative.
    " Pretty much" is that a legal or a medical term that will be honored by Public Health Authorities.....???

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    " Pretty much" is that a legal or a medical term that will be honored by Public Health Authorities.....???
    Sometimes the brown stuff sticks on the wall, sometimes it doesn’t. In both cases it’s still brown stuff.