Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga should skip the WCC tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    I believe Mr. GoZags was pretty adamant a few days ago that the WCC Tournament isn't likely to be played.

I'd be interested in hearing about his opinion in more detail.
    That may be a "little" strong. My point was I'd be surprised if it (the WCC tourney) were played. I have no doubt (barring something very unforseen) that the NCAA tourney will be played.

As for an earlier post about only 1 player and "a couple of staff" getting infected ... Privacy issues continue to keep the correct information "private".

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    IMO It would be disgraceful and arrogant, even if someone had a legitimate strategic argument to make, to skip the WCC tournament. That being said, i'm grateful that following our tournament we have 14 days before the NCAA tourney. I would absolutely hate to be a team like Virginia and lose their players to a covid protocol after winning the ACC, and then losing to a 14 seed because my starters were out.
    GonzaGAW:

as to the danger of getting the virus at the wcc tournament. that is scheduled presently 2 full weeks before the ncaa tournament. so if someone contracted the virus then, there would be time to quarantine.

- uconn womens coach geno a. said that for all the players and coaches in college who have contracted the virus, they did not do so while participating in a game. i'm not sure of his source for such a statement but i have always thought coach geno as a straight shooter and certainly one who knows his business.
    I vote Zags gotta suit up and show up for WCC tourney for reasons stated above plus “anyone, anytime, anywhere” is one of my favorite touchstone principles of the great culture Mark Few, Mike Roth and staff have worked so hard to establish. Skipping WCC tourney would fly in the face of that principle.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

If they are both undefeated, Baylor and Gonzaga skip their tournaments, and play a big-money game prior to the tournament.

If the Zags "skip" the tourney, that just sends the wrong message. It sends a message that we are "better" than the WCC, when we are just a member. I remember the 2019 tourney like it was yesterday, we got beat by the Gaels.

Bottom line, we represent the WCC in a proud way, and we should send a proud team to Vegas. It's only 2 games, let's not overthink this.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

I can't help but put this question in the category of idle and ultimately futile speculation...one can easily extend the logic to posit why play the rest of the regular season, the NCAA tourney, or ever again? I jest of course.

Play the games you can, schedule additional games if it works, go to tournaments for which you have qualified or are invited. If the protocols apply and games have to be missed, so be it. The one idea I like here is a break between the conference tourneys and the NCAAs to allow any teams on pause to "clear" before the dance.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

My guess is the Zags wont have to skip the WCC tourney. My guess is there isnt a WCC tourney. I wouldnt be surprised if a lot of conferences sent there regular season champ and skipped having a postseason conference tourney. The big conferences probably can make money from TV deals to air their tourneys, but without fans allowed in attendance many conferences wont want to lose additional money.

Remember an old reliable source hinted that most/almost all/maybe all the keys players have had it at some point...

Gotta play it. WCC tourney still means something to a lot of people including me
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

IMO we sure are backwards culturally from what we used to be...integrity, accountability, agreement is an agreement, dont take the easy way out, journey is as important as the destination, honoring comittment, student athlete is primary purpose of college athletics

but I guess that is the way of society in 2021......

if we have players to participate in the WCC tournament we need to be there and play.

but for those that are throwing tomatoes at the screen, yes I know I am simply old fashion fuddy dud and my grandkids tell me that all the time
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Play in the WCC tourney, as far as I am concerned. Open and shut case. In the meantime Coach Few, line up all of the games you can to fill in the gaps for the regular season. The Zag mantra, "anytime, anywhere." Plus we fans want to see these great players play as much as we can.

USF is now on a COVID Pause: From the USF Athletics Web Site, as of 6:10pm:

SAN FRANCISCO – Due to positive cases from COVID-19 testing and related contact tracing, the University of San Francisco men's basketball is pausing all team-related activities.

The Dons' next three contests are postponed, a span that includes Saturday's road game against BYU, a Feb. 4 matchup against Pacific in Stockton, and a Feb. 6 road contest against Pepperdine.
    USF's next scheduled game is against Pepperdine at home on Tuesday, Feb. 9.
    For more updates and more information on the USF men's basketball team, follow the Dons @USFDonsMBB on social media.
    I know there are TV contracts, obligations, commitments. . .very complicated moving parts and so forth, so there likely isn't a simple answer to this simple question:

Why should Gonzaga (or any other WCC program which has been able to operate in a manner that has kept players, coaches, and staff COVID free for extended periods) endanger it's opportunity to participate in the NCAA Basketball Championships by playing in a conference tournament that offers 2 or 3 games worth of potential season-ending COVID exposure ?
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-27-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Jim Meehan has an article on the WCC Tourney up at the S-R website: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ating-confere/

The NCAA is requiring players and coaches to have seven consecutive negative tests prior to arriving in Indianapolis. Top teams that are essentially locks for March Madness are concerned about possibly losing key players for the opening rounds should they encounter COVID issues during a conference tournament.

Meanwhile, the WCC has a contract with ESPN to televise several tournament games. The conference also has numerous corporate sponsorships connected with the tournament.

The WCC Tournament has been a moneymaker for the conference, primarily because of the thousands of Gonzaga fans filling hotel rooms and attending games at the Orleans Arena. With few if any fans expected to be allowed to attend this March, the tournament would operate at a “considerable loss,” Roth said.
    “Remember we need to do what’s best for the WCC, which the best thing you could possibly do for the WCC is accrue as many NCAA (Tournament) shares as possible,” Few said. “That’s what pays for everybody’s bills in the WCC. At the end of the day, I think it needs to be based on that.

Check out the "Katz podcast with Few and Drew" thread from today. In the interview both coaches talk about conference tournaments. They both said the next few weeks will help them figure out what to do. But Mark doesn't sound like it's a slam dunk one way or the other and the decision won't be without the league's involvement. Great interview. Lots of mutual respect.

If this is the case, Gonzaga should absolutely play the WCC tourney, hopefully win and return home for a week to train. In addition, Gonzaga and other auto-bids would be able to arrive in Indy a day or two earlier than at-large teams.

@MattNorlander
    The NCAA is asking teams with "high probability" of being selected as at-larges to stay in their conference tournament location between the end of their league tourney and the bracket reveal. (This would primarily only become tricky if, say, Gonzaga didn't get the auto bid.)
    Auto-bid teams determined prior to Saturday, March 13, will be asked to arrive in Indy on March 13. Teams earning auto bids early enough on Saturday afternoon/evening will immediately depart from their league championship, provided they can arrive in Indy later Saturday night.
    I’m told all 31 auto bids will arrive in Indy Sat. or Sun. LATE Sunday and all-day-Monday departures will be reserved for the 37 at-large teams. Meaning even if a team is considered a lock, protocol is to not leave for Indy until the bracket reveal officially confirms inclusion.
    https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...50019755470848
    https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...49288046489601
    https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/st...49676212621317

The safest thing would be if the Zags cancelled the rest of their games and just waited for the NCAA tournament, but that is an idiotic idea,

I want them to play every game that it is safe for them to do so, recognizing that safe is a relative term.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

to take this to its logical conclusion, why play anymore games at all until the NCAA.....just cancel them....they're not important......./s/

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Jim Meehan has an article on the WCC Tourney up at the S-R website: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ating-confere/
    This is the answer to more than half of the questions posted on the GUB in last month. Thanks, Reen; thanks, Roth and Few for a clear, and totally reasonable explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    If they are both undefeated, Baylor and Gonzaga skip their tournaments, and play a big-money game prior to the tournament.
    Can we please let this go at some point? Baylor and Gonzaga are only going to face each other if it's in the tournament. It's almost February at this point and conference schedules are pushing half way done.

Per Jon Rothstein: UConn's upcoming games against Villanova and St. John's have been postponed due to a positive test from an official who worked last night's UConn-Butler game, per release.

Add this log to the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Per Jon Rothstein: UConn's upcoming games against Villanova and St. John's have been postponed due to a positive test from an official who worked last night's UConn-Butler game, per release.

Add this log to the fire.

The trend is definitely not our friend.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    If the Zags "skip" the tourney, that just sends the wrong message. It sends a message that we are "better" than the WCC, when we are just a member. I remember the 2019 tourney like it was yesterday, we got beat by the Gaels.

Bottom line, we represent the WCC in a proud way, and we should send a proud team to Vegas. It's only 2 games, let's not overthink this.
    I respect the opinion.

But I think in this situation the message is "Everything is different this year and we intend to win the National Championship."

To the extent it looks selfish, and I don't think it does, it is the type of selfishness that they've earned by now. Every school in the league knows this team is special.

I am simply talking assumptions based on the current situation and difficulties in scheduling and protecting the team.

Mike Roth doesn't have to make assumptions and I fully believe he'll make the right decision whatever that decision might be.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Likely little to be gained for the Zags from participating in the WCC tournament. Within 2 to 3 weeks, they’ll clinch the regular season crown (always a superior measure to the winner of the league tournament). The downside is that members of the major conferences will be in the final week of the schedule or their own tournaments. Scheduling a quality opponent will not be easy.

Whether now or then, Zags need a challenging foe. Certain the staff is pursuing any and all options.

Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I respect the opinion.

But I think in this situation the message is "Everything is different this year and we intend to win the National Championship."

To the extent it looks selfish, and I don't think it does, it is the type of selfishness that they've earned by now. Every school in the league knows this team is special.

I am simply talking assumptions based on the current situation and difficulties in scheduling and protecting the team.

Mike Roth doesn't have to make assumptions and I fully believe he'll make the right decision whatever that decision might be.
    Earn selfishness is now ok....wow
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    I said I don't think it's selfish. I think that should the numbers prove that we'd benefit from staying home, I'd call it more responsible. Especially the end goal. If we were ranked 20th it might be different.

I said "to the extent it sounds selfish, and I don't think it does, ...."

I also think that there are contexts in which the selfish thing is the most responsible mature thing, too, not often, but they appear. Yes.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    That’s not what DZ was saying.