Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great job by the announcers

Default Great job by the announcers

I was really curious to see if there would be a noticeable change tonight in the announcers after our fairly intense discussion recently about many of our (but certainly not everyone’s) great displeasure with them.

About two minutes into the game my wife and I looked at each other and I said they’re totally different tonight and she said “absolutely.”

My assumption is that they got feedback on their performance. I thought they did a really good job tonight. it was amazing how consistently constructive and informative they were. And they still had some fun at the and joking and such. But it was a dramatically different performance than what we’ve been used to in my opinion.

Good for them for stepping up and good for the administration, KHQ, or whoever it was that pushed them in that direction

I’m curious what others think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I do agree with your assessment that tonight's performance by Heister-Dichau-Fox was much improved, let's also agree that it was a low, low bar to compare to. I welcome the effort they put forth tonight and hope it will continue on into the next local telecast. "A journey of a thousand miles begins with the 1st step". But beware the confounding "fork in the road". Still think there's a case to be made to remold the "tres amigos" into the "dos gringos".
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

I think they eliminated everything I personally thought was terrible, and while they're not the best, I can easily say they took the criticism to heart and I was pleased by their work.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Agree. The burlesque was gone. Now they are just three, lightly-informed homers with no beginning/middle/end to any of the putative insights they're attempting to make. Thank you, Mike Roth. Baby steps, but don't expect a Mike Breen coming out of these guys anytime soon.

Yes, there was noticeable improvement. That said, I still think they ought to invest more in clarifying play by play information. As a viewer, I want them to tell me why a whistle was blown (when it isn’t obvious), who was subbed in during that commercial break and for whom, and how many fouls that is on a player. Basic information quickly stated. That is more important to me than the usual constant banter. And it should be quickly interspersed with the analysis and insights.

I too noticed an improvement in the announcers and enjoyed the game and their analysis much more. They are heading in the right direction.

However, I still am often tempted to turn on KGA and listen to the game being called by Husdon/Ammo. They offer consistent announcing and analysis that keeps me engaged.

The wife and I noticed enough improvement to cause us to comment about during the game. And this game was never really close, which makes it hard for them to stay focused. I totally get that. So I will give them kudos

It was like night and day (compared to the previous ROOT game). I never heard Greg call Dan "D-Train". Yes, there was major improvement, let's hope that continues for our final two ROOT games.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Yes, there was noticeable improvement. That said, I still think they ought to invest more in clarifying play by play information. As a viewer, I want them to tell me why a whistle was blown (when it isn’t obvious), who was subbed in during that commercial break and for whom, and how many fouls that is on a player. Basic information quickly stated. That is more important to me than the usual constant banter. And it should be quickly interspersed with the analysis and insights.
    Agree with this and yes they were much improved,
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    I think they eliminated everything I personally thought was terrible, and while they're not the best, I can easily say they took the criticism to heart and I was pleased by their work.
    YES

They definitely were improved last night. Behavior change takes time and I’m hopeful last night was the start of a move in the right direction.

Good thread. We don't hear enough when we do things right. They did a much better job when the game got out of hand, which is admirable because it was out of hand early. I think we can put to bed any of those lingering thoughts that DD doesn't like Kispert's game.

I actually enjoyed their breakdown of the fast break when Suggs passed to Ballo, who was trailing, then Ballo found the guy in the post. That was a moment for me when they enhanced the viewing experience. The commentary of the play when Suggs threw the ball up to have court while falling out of bounds to start the fast break was another good one.

Good work! Keep it up.

- i was expecting a better job, given they were apparently spoken to by a.d. roth, and indeed it was better.

- only quibble, when dickau made a perfectly sound analysis of suggs passing game (backed with a/to ratio), heister should have just said that is relevant and good info dickau, instead he tried to get a brush fire started, by asking fox, did you hear dickau, are you going to accept what he said.

- but if they called every game like last night, i would be satisfied.

I too thought they were better tonight. I did appreciate the couple times they commented on Harris and I think Strawther hanging the big out to dry with passes that put them in a bad situation and how with more time they’ll figure it out. Was excited towards the beginning when Heister told Dickau and Fox he’d love some commentary throughout the game on the Zags D play. Didn’t hear much on that though unfortunately. As said above.....one step at a time.

I guess they dont bug me like they bug everyone else.

Agreed, Hudson and Ammo offer the best coverage of the game. However, I've learned not to listen to them on the radio but instead to listen to them online, here: https://tunein.com/radio/KGA-1510-s32766/
    The timing of the online program more closely matches the TV coverage. Radio is not synched with the TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo1516 View Post
    I too noticed an improvement in the announcers and enjoyed the game and their analysis much more. They are heading in the right direction.

However, I still am often tempted to turn on KGA and listen to the game being called by Husdon/Ammo. They offer consistent announcing and analysis that keeps me engaged.

3:57 2nd half. During time out.

"Play of the Game" replay

Timme behind the back bounce to Kispert for lay in.

Loose transcription:

Dickau:
    I want to say Arvydas Sabonis, but we have been there before.

Fox:
    Doesn't our contract say we cannot talk about that anymore?

Dickau:
    Yah

heister:
    You have a contract?

Fox:
    They try to put as many guardrails around me as they can.

Heister:
    Its a good idea.
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

I thought the 3 of them did a very good job. No complaints. The best I have seen or heard them.

Giving credit where credit is due, they were much improved last night. There were a couple of moments where you could tell Heister almost started to lean into his usual antics during the 2nd half when the blowout was obvious, but was able to check himself so as not to throw the broadcast off the rails like so many times we’ve heard before.

If they call future games the way they called last night’s first half, I’m a happy fan.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Local is local, not national.

much better
    a couple of times i think Heister caught himself trying to start one-upmanship digs at Dan or Richard, but refrained. I hope he can throttle the 2 or 3 things that causes all the trouble, cuz otherwise i enjoy his energy and zag fanaticism. For broadcasters to show emotional maturity in comments about colleagues is a necessity, even if he has to catch himself. If he doesn't even know he is always looking for cut-lows of others, because he thinks its funny, then its a bigger problem. But even so KHQ could spend money helping re-make his performance, it is done with other broadcasters sometimes. If he raises his maturity level enough i predict Few will eventually call him Craig on the show. In my view referring to him as Heister in a personal conversation, is what you do when you are trying to keep the lid on. That's what i did in high school.
    If Few is conversing with Dan Dickau on TV, i have a hard time imaging him saying Dickau this and Dickau that; it would be Dan.
    This change is better for the team, the college, the coaches, the fans, Richard and Dan and better for Craig professionally also, in the long run.

Isn't it great how social media (the GU Boards) can cry and complain to make media (Fox, Dickau, Heister) say exactly what they want them to say! Our social demise in a snapshot............ A little tongue in cheek :-)

My gripe with these three, Heister particularly, is the failure too many times to just call the game first with banter and comments second.

Half the time it's not clear who the foul call went against. Heister is a completely different announcer for both the WSU calls and the Zag women. Although improved last night, there is still way too much banter and personal snipes and not enough professionalism.

They need to represent the team and university first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    much better
    a couple of times i think Heister caught himself trying to start one-upmanship digs at Dan or Richard, but refrained. I hope he can throttle the 2 or 3 things that causes all the trouble, cuz otherwise i enjoy his energy and zag fanaticism. For broadcasters to show emotional maturity in comments about colleagues is a necessity, even if he has to catch himself. If he doesn't even know he is always looking for cut-lows of others, because he thinks its funny, then its a bigger problem. But even so KHQ could spend money helping re-make his performance, it is done with other broadcasters sometimes. If he raises his maturity level enough i predict Few will eventually call him Craig on the show. In my view referring to him as Heister in a personal conversation, is what you do when you are trying to keep the lid on. That's what i did in high school.
    If Few is conversing with Dan Dickau on TV, i have a hard time imaging him saying Dickau this and Dickau that; it would be Dan.
    This change is better for the team, the college, the coaches, the fans, Richard and Dan and better for Craig professionally also, in the long run.
    If he calls him Craig that might be more of an insult than calling him Heister.