Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacific @ GU Post-Game Thoughts, Media, and More

Default Pacific @ GU Post-Game Thoughts, Media, and More

While Suggs did his best to notch a triple-double, I thought Timme was the standout tonight. Nifty behind-the-back assist brought back memories of Karnowski.

ESPN BOX SCORE: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401253738

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    While Suggs did his best to notch a triple-double, I thought Timme was the standout tonight. Nifty behind-the-back assist brought back memories of Karnowski.
    I also liked Jalen's half court pass as he was falling out of bounds.

And I like that Harris gave us a peak at the future!

AP Wire Story (via ESPN) https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=401253738

Also includes a video interview with Kispert

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

I think it's a hard game to judge on what kindve steps the team made forward, or what incremental conclusions to make.

Pacific just got blown out 2 nights ago and when the score got to like a 10-15 point lead, they just started playing "AAU/lets just put up some numbers and get-out-of-here ball" with quick shots, seemingly no offensive sets or concepts. I know Stoudamire is coaching, but its like that old saying losing before the game begins, or like certain teams/programs start the game with 10pt leads because of the jersey they wear and how imposing it feels to the inferior opponent.

Still don't think that the offensive flow/passing was as good as it was in December vs the High Major opponents.
    Is it familiarity of WCC teams vs GU's sets? Hours and Hours of video available now on GU compared to at that time? Perhaps a mix of both.

Pacific went underneath every screen daring GU to hit a great percentage and I'm sure Few expects that High Majors in the NCAA Tournament are going to do this too except on Kispert. That's the offensive key to me for this team. If they shoot anything of a decent % like 35% from 3 vs those teams, its a real problem, then the backdoor cuts start to kill them. Otherwise, Pacific showed they will go under and under until its clear GU is on fire from 3, otherwise you swallow a 30% from 3 showing and maybe you can hang around in the game.

I also think this team really needs a game to get hyped up about, partially due to no crowds on the road and at home, but as we've seen so many times over the year's how just going through the motions when you're going to win by 40 doesnt help teams much in the bigger picture. I think ALMOST all GU teams though did NOT allow those WCC blowouts over the years to negatively affect them. But this team? They are a step above those teams in talent, and the WCC is a step below, the gap has never been this large between GU and the 2nd tier BYU/St.Mary's/Pepperdine and the 3rd tier. It is a challenge. Fortunately Kispert made the point in an interview about how having the 2nd team be of such quality does seem to minimize that.

Things I liked....

• Zags log 19 assists on 31 made FG's-61% The ball was moving and not sticking tonight
    • Timme's behind the back drop pass to Corey following Jalen's pass falling out of bounds
    • Ballo's sweet dime that got Foxy talking
    • Suggs hunting that triple double.
    • Best game by far for Harris in his young GU career
    • Ben Gregg's confident 3
    • The second unit played best game of the season so far-they looked like they were playing Zag ball down the stretch
    • 7 different players hit a 3

ZZ

Did it feel as though the announcers were more focused tonight? Heister even asked that Fox and Dickau report as the game progressed about the D. Did the complaining pay off?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    Did it feel as though the announcers were more focused tonight? Heister even asked that Fox and Dickau report as the game progressed about the D. Did the complaining pay off?
    I agree with your sentiment as well... It seemed like a concerted effort by all 3 "amigos" to focus on the game-action and avoid the "personal banter-type" comments that divert from the play on the court. And I've been a consistent critic over the years. Giving credit where it's due. Hopefully will carryover to the next local telecast.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

I didn't get to see the game. I was only able to follow it on ESPN as I watched the play by play. It's better than nothing, but not by much. I really appreciate what you all wrote about the game. Thanks. Not being able to watch the game gives me a new perspective on this forum. It's great to read how you all saw the game. It seems like the passing was once again spectacular, if not excellent. 19 assists on 31 baskets is great. The trademark of this Zag team is it's passing ability. It also appears that Pacific was having a real difficult time stopping Timme, and that our Ninja Shooters were really on tonight. It's great to hear that Harris did so well because I really like him a lot. I believe he's going to be a future star at Gonzaga, and who knows, he may be able to help us this year if he can get some consistency in his shot,

But what impresses me the most, even as I was just watching the play by play on ESPN, was their defense. It just seem outstanding. I wish I could have seen it, because after watching spectacular passing and 3 point shooting, I love to watch really good defense. This team continues to improve on it's defense, and I really like that. However, after reading a post or two here on The Board, there is kind of a sense that Pacific didn't seem to care about getting killed. I got the feeling like they appeared to almost be what has been called a "sacrificial lamb." If that is true, it's really sad, and it's difficult for me to believe that Stottlemeyer would allow that to happen.

Congrats to the Zags. Keep working hard. It's a must.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

The Zags schedule has never been more inverted. The difference between the powers at the top of it vs the dreck of the WCC is beyond palpable. Almost like each group plays a different game. Highest end CBB vs club team handball, or something. Gonna be a challenge to get up for real teams after this Globetrotter tour ends.

Jim Meehan's Game Story: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-to-finish-ro/

“We came in more focused,” Timme said. “We didn’t have our best week last week, and we took it personally. We are a vulnerable team when we don’t do what were supposed to do offensively and defensively.”

Freshman point guard Jalen Suggs, who landed flat on his back after grabbing an offensive rebound in the opening minutes, showed no lingering effects as he racked up nine points, 11 boards and eight assists. Joel Ayayi recorded the program’s first triple-double earlier this month against Portland.

“I don’t usually get into that, but we were trying, and he was trying too hard,” Few said of keeping Suggs on the court for a few extra minutes in pursuit of a triple-double. “Our guys were probably trying a little too hard. He had a nice impact on the game.”
    Nice photo gallery at the link.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Not Few’s best look to keep any player in a conference blowout of ridiculous proportions just to get a totally meaningless statistical accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Not Few’s best look to keep any player in a conference blowout of ridiculous proportions just to get a totally meaningless statistical accomplishment.
    Agreed. Coach adapting for the one and done level talents now, I guess.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Odd really, since Few seemed perturbed on the Mark Few show when it was brought up that Ayayi had the first tripple double. He said Sabonis and Stepp among others could have reached that. Almost like he was trying to steal Joel's thunder be leaving Suggs in.

Quote Originally Posted by WRHUradio View Post
    Pacific went underneath every screen daring GU to hit a great percentage and I'm sure Few expects that High Majors in the NCAA Tournament are going to do this too except on Kispert. That's the offensive key to me for this team. If they shoot anything of a decent % like 35% from 3 vs those teams, its a real problem, then the backdoor cuts start to kill them. Otherwise, Pacific showed they will go under and under until its clear GU is on fire from 3, otherwise you swallow a 30% from 3 showing and maybe you can hang around in the game.
    GU made 12 of 26 (46%) from 3. It was not a very good idea to go under the screens. Other teams are welcome to try, I guess.

Suggs may have gotten it if he just continued to play his game. Instead he tried to force things and it was so noticeable it was a bit embarrassing I thought. As you said jazz, not a good look.

Whew!!! Barely escaped with a 50 point win.

Happy to see the second line get some minutes. They should have gotten more. Starters should have played the first few minutes of the second half and then turned the forty point lead over to the bench.

Arlauskas looks lost. Disappointing for me. He showed some flashes last year of being a contributor.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Suggs may have gotten it if he just continued to play his game. Instead he tried to force things and it was so noticeable it was a bit embarrassing I thought. As you said jazz, not a good look.
    Well to be honest the game was over almost before it started. I really loved seeing Few smile with Suggs on the sidelines presumably about the attempt to go for the triple double. What I never like is keeping our starters in longer than necessary. I know there’s a fine line between keeping the guys in shape and protecting them from injury in “garbage time,” but I always worry about the latter. To his credit, Few at least did finally take him out of the game.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Best adjusted defense game of the season, by a wide margin. https://barttorvik.com/

Kenpom has zags 2nd in offense. And 11th in defense.

Baylor is 3rd and 2nd. Whoa.

Our offense is 3.7 points better, and their defense is 3.4 points better.

It's interesting to see how this team compares to previous teams on barttorvik. This team is tops in adjusted offense, 2p% and tempo. Tempo by a wide margin. All those years of Few waving his arms and yelling go go go seem to be paying off.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Our offense is 3.7 points better, and their defense is 3.4 points better.

It's interesting to see how this team compares to previous teams on barttorvik. This team is tops in adjusted offense, 2p% and tempo. Tempo by a wide margin. All those years of Few yelling go go go seem to be paying off.

I was about to share the same info. Zag's are dominating!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As far as Suggs going for the triple double, yes it was obvious.
    But I don’t fault him or Few. You’ve got to keep the players and team sharp and focused somehow. This was a blowout in the only game of the week.
    The tournament will be decided by the top 8 guys.

Great win. I am honestly enjoying game by game this year even more then years past. Why? Idk for sure but maybe covid and no march madness last yr. This team is special. I mean super special. However, in march it can be over in a blink. Timme was really good last night and his footwork is A+++. The defense was lockdown and they were flying around.
    Love the zags for life

Zags need a test, win or lose. Except for @BYU, no chance of that happening in the WCC, which will be fortunate to get two bids to the NCAAs this year.