View Poll Results: Where will Zags finish this year?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Champions

50 72.46%
  • Runner Up

6 8.70%
  • Final Four

9 13.04%
  • Elite 8

4 5.80%

Thread: Zags Destination This Season

Default Zags Destination This Season

1) National Championship
    2) National runner up
    3} Final Four
    4) Elite 8

For you, ZagsGoZags

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    1) National Championship
    2) National runner up
    3} Final Four
    4) Elite 8

For you, ZagsGoZags
    Zags all the way!!!

No Excuses, it's time to raise a National Championship Banner.

Voted for Champions because that is this team’s attainable goal and would love seeing Kispert be the senior who leads Zags to their first Natty!
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

The only team that can truly beat Gonzaga this year is Gonzaga. They clearly have the ability to beat every team in the nation right now. If they loose focus, they can loose. Mark Few, according to his nature, has loaded the dice for the crap shoot that is the NCAA tournament.

I think having no fans is gonna also be in our favor, underdogs always motivate neutral crowds and there are a lot of school fan bases that are predisposed to be GU haters. We won’t have to face that now.

I think things are aligned in our favor, just have to stay focused.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Two ways to vote in this poll....first, with your heart, and second with your head.

Pursuing the second, I went with the final four...Kitzbuel above echoed what Mark Few has said many times, the NCAA tourney is a crap shoot, particularly when you get to the later rounds. Will it be a surprise to take home the Natty this year? Hardly, and if I were setting odds in Vegas, I would make them at least co-favorites....but I will disagree with Kitz when he says only Gonzaga can beat Gonzaga. There are some good teams (certainly Baylor, maybe Villanova, Texas, Tennessee, Michigan, etc.) that if they get hot could beat GU. No surprise at the Natty, but I also won't be shocked (disappointed, hell yes) if there is an Elite 8, or even S16 exit...FF seems like a good middle ground. Even if that happens, it will have been a fabulous year for which I will be grateful.
    PS, A final of GU v. Baylor, where both teams played to their potential, would be epic, one for the ages.

Coulda .....woulda .....shoulda.....well maybe not shoulda....but might have with some luck.... there have been 3 Gonzaga teams that had a good chance to win.....but didn't.....and they had rim protectors and could shoot threes ....

IMHO if this team gets to the Sweet Sixteen they will need some luck to advance.....all the teams in the Elite Eight will be very good and playing well..... St Mary's and Bennett exposed Gonzaga's weaknesses and the teams in the Dance will be much better on both offense and defense than the Gaels ....

There are very few non Big Five + One teams that have won a National Championship in the last 50 years .....and few Big teams from the West.....what???..... Arizona and UCLA back in the mid 90's......it is the journey for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Coulda .....woulda .....shoulda.....well maybe not shoulda....but might have with some luck.... there have been 3 Gonzaga teams that had a good chance to win.....but didn't.....and they had rim protectors and could shoot threes ....

IMHO if this team gets to the Sweet Sixteen they will need some luck to advance.....all the teams in the Elite Eight will be very good and playing well..... St Mary's and Bennett exposed Gonzaga's weaknesses and the teams in the Dance will be much better on both offense and defense than the Gaels ....

There are very few non Big Five + One teams that have won a National Championship in the last 50 years .....and few Big teams from the West.....what???..... Arizona and UCLA back in the mid 90's......it is the journey for me.....
    Please explain Bartfuff1 -- thanks
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Quote Originally Posted by 77Zag View Post
    Please explain Bartfuff1 -- thanks
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    1) National Championship
    2) National runner up
    3} Final Four
    4) Elite 8

For you, ZagsGoZags
    Thanks Markburn !

I don’t think SMC exposed anything .. the familiarity and a completely different lineup shocked the zags for most of first half. After that business as usual.
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

I went with Championship because:

1 - I love this team
    2 - I'm superstitious

Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Thanks Markburn !
    You are very welcome.

Did the results end up the way you anticipated?

yes except i thought there might be more runner ups than Final fours.
    I remember when Butler lost two national championships and I felt bad for the sake of all mid-major conferences.
    The odds for zags taking it all get in neighborhood of 50-50 or 60-40 by the last game.
    If we get that far I really, really, want us to power up and take the title. NC said they had a score to settle when they played us because they lost a close one in season before. We lost a close one playing North Carolina, and i hope we have a chip on our shoulder like that should we make the championship game.
    what i really like is to have a guy like suggs when it gets down to tied scores with a few minutes remaining, a real go to guy like ammo was.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    yes except i thought there might be more runner ups than Final fours.
    I remember when Butler lost two national championships and I felt bad for the sake of all mid-major conferences.
    The odds for zags taking it all get in neighborhood of 50-50 or 60-40 by the last game.
    If we get that far I really, really, want us to power up and take the title. NC said they had a score to settle when they played us because they lost a close one in season before. We lost a close one playing North Carolina, and i hope we have a chip on our shoulder like that should we make the championship game.
    what i really like is to have a guy like suggs when it gets down to tied scores with a few minutes remaining, a real go to guy like ammo was.
    I think it’s realistic that the Zags reach the Final Four. However, I’m not sure the expectations are a good thing. That’s an incredible burden on the program. I do think the coaching staff and the players relish the opportunity and they believe they are capable of winning it all. But, the fans can be unrealistic about the chances of losing.

What I hope, should Gonzaga reach the title game, is that the officials let the kids play and that both teams play their best game.

I’ve enjoyed this group immensely. As weird as this season has been, I will enjoy it until the end wherever that destination might be.

This is a title team. We do need to fi. A few things.Watson needs to grow and fo us. Lots of talent. Suggs. Needs to focus on 3pt shooting. We need rebounding support for Drew. Overall the defense must improve. Small thing like hustle too.
    I love this team. We’ll find a a ay to the FC. A title if we fix a few easy things. This is surely the most entertaining team to watch in a long time.

This is our best chance ever. In 2017 I thought we had a chance but I didnt think we were necessarily "the favorite".. this year its us and Baylor and then a handful of 10 teams who could all make a run. I havent seen one expert predict the final four yet that didnt have the Zags in it. Everyone else can temper their expectations-- for me its National Championship game or bust. If this team plays to its potential, not many teams can beat them.

Bartruff is correct, as far as he goes. Any team that reaches the second week, and all that reach the elite eight will need some luck. See St. Mark of Few. I recall a valiant team that led the championship game at the half, and with 100 seconds remaining. Then, one player fouled out on a controversial call, and a second player hobbled by an aggravated injury. The team lost. I was there. I was so disappointed, and so very, very proud of that team. Like all of you.