Thread: Week 9 poll

Default Week 9 poll

Zags still 1. All but 2 of the first place votes.

Based on the current poll standings, Gonzaga has defeated four top 14 teams.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...sociated-press

- first time no duke and no north carolina in the poll since 1982
    - first time no duke and no north carolina and no kentucky in the poll since 1961

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - first time no duke and no north carolina in the poll since 1982
    - first time no duke and no north carolina and no kentucky in the poll since 1961
    Get used to it.

Michigan MBB bit the bullet hard against Minnesota this week, to fall from the ranks of the undefeated. On the flip side the WBB Michigan are still undefeated. Pretty cool when both side of the programs are excelling isn't it Zags MBB and Zags WBB fans?

The Blue Devils dropped to 5-3 overall and 3-1 in the ACC after losing to Virginia Tech. Their streak of 91 consecutive weeks in the Top 25 was second only to Kansas, which extended its record to 229 weeks.

Gonzaga is now No. 2 at 87 weeks.

I had no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    The Blue Devils dropped to 5-3 overall and 3-1 in the ACC after losing to Virginia Tech. Their streak of 91 consecutive weeks in the Top 25 was second only to Kansas, which extended its record to 229 weeks.

Gonzaga is now No. 2 at 87 weeks.

I had no idea.
    Duke’s resume is barely bubble-worthy. They are sitting at 92 in the NET ratings. They have played three games against Top 100 competition and lost all three of them. Their best win is over a Notre Dame team that checks in at 125 on the same metric.

The bubble watch sites will start to publish their weekly updates in the next couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see how they treat some of these traditional powerhouses that aren’t playing well during this weird, disjointed season.

https://bracketologists.com/team/duke-blue-devils

At 4-8, we know that Kentucky won’t be on the bubble.

In March 2015 zags got their highest ranked recruit of all time, #20 and first McDonalds recruit out of high school. On Mar 7, 2015 GU was ranked 7 in nation when he declared for us, but our performance the next season surely put his emotions through a roller coaster ride. I wonder what he thought throughout the 2015-16 basketball season. Especially Jan 18, 2016 when zags dropped out of the coaches poll.
    The 15-16 year started out somewhat normally, staying ranked from Oct 15 to Jan 11, but falling. By Feb 22 we fell so far we were not only unranked but not getting votes at all! Nobody had faith in us anymore except the fans, players, and the HBO crew documenting our team with the (getting to be) ironic title: Gonzaga the Road to Madness. That title turned out to be accurate but the 'madness' they meant for March Madness, was turning into 'maddingly disappointing' for Zag Nation during those few weeks. I am sure you all remember this very well. If I had been Zach Collins I would have been thinking "Oh damn, I wonder if I should have gone to a blue blood school."
    By Mar 13, 2016 we were still unranked but did get some votes. The zags bulled their way through the tournament to reach the Sweet Sixteen with a sigh of relief for HBO and all of us.
    By Apr 5 we ended the season with a respectable ranking of 21.
    From Apr 5, 2016 till now I believe we have been ranked in every coaches poll.
    That must have been 87 poll-ranking weeks ago.
    Last edited by ZagsGoZags; 01-18-2021 at 07:11 PM.

Someone moved Baylor ahead of Gonzaga in their last ballot

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Someone moved Baylor ahead of Gonzaga in their last ballot
    Sam Blum from Dallas Morning News. Get Tex on him again
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    Sam Blum from Dallas Morning News. Get Tex on him again
    Won't do much good...I was working on him to cover the GU-Virginia game. After all, it ONLY featured the #1 team in the nation playing the defending national champion.

And they wonder why their readership is down.

I really should subscribe to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, at least they respond to my occasional emails.

Here is a listing of Zag rankings:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...aga/polls.html

Watching Baylor destroying Kansas at the moment, I can't fault anyone giving them the nod. Hard to say which team is actually better, but they look awfully good.

They are very good. Zags would have to bring their A game and hope that Baylor only brings their B game.

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    They are very good. Zags would have to bring their A game and hope that Baylor only brings their B game.
    I think it’s more the other way around.

Gonzaga brought their c- grade against SMC.

Baylor is good enough to warrant a No. 1 ranking and we shouldn’t be surprised or offended, if some pollsters vote them ahead of our team. They play far better defense than Gonzaga. They’re stronger and more physical. They’ve got a bunch of dudes who look and play like Karl Malone in the front court, and fast shooters at the guard positions. I watched them outlast Texas Tech in a rugby scrum of a game a few nights ago. Tonight, they are running Kansas out of the gym.

If Baylor continues to dominate Kansas, a win over Pacific won’t staunch the flow of first place votes. Wouldn’t be awful if it were a wake-up for the Zags. If.

Baylor is legit. Watching the way they play defense is impressive. They also have an explosive offense. Right now they are the better team and are playing like they want that #1 ranking. Zags need to take notice and get that chip back.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Duke’s resume is barely bubble-worthy. They are sitting at 92 in the NET ratings. They have played three games against Top 100 competition and lost all three of them. Their best win is over a Notre Dame team that checks in at 125 on the same metric.

The bubble watch sites will start to publish their weekly updates in the next couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see how they treat some of these traditional powerhouses that aren’t playing well during this weird, disjointed season.

https://bracketologists.com/team/duke-blue-devils
    As of today 35 0f 65 brackets have Duke in; avg. seed = 9

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.