Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other Games: Mon - 01. 18. 21

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Jared Butler was awesome.
    Yes he was, but only had 7 in his last game against Texas Tech, so he can be guarded some nights. Who would we put on him? Or rotate coverage?

Jay Bilas the king of backhanded compliments.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So, Baylor started very fast, at home with a 25% capacity crowd, then committed a lot of second half turnovers (10), and beats Kansas by 8. They are excellent, but I think we would take them on a neutral floor.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    Yes he was, but only had 7 in his last game against Texas Tech, so he can be guarded some nights. Who would we put on him? Or rotate coverage?
    I think throwing fresh bodies at him might slow him down a bit: Suggs, Cook, Harris. . .Strawther ? Ayayi ?

Still think he'd get 15 - 20pts. Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua is no slouch either. They are a really talented club with a very good coach.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Yeah, I don't want to play Baylor until April. That Chamu-chachawa guy could give us fits.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Quote Originally Posted by thickman1 View Post
    These two teams wouldn’t make it through a half of WCC officiating. Especially Baylor.
    if the zags meet them in the final four...i hope they get pac-12 refs...

So I guess Ballo made his dunk at the end this time.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Baylor plays so hard. I was surprised!! I’ve seen them 3 times and ea h time they are bigger, stronger, play together better and seem to be forming a better team. Very hard defense and the offense is very good. They’d give us all sorts of trouble. We breeze through the Wcnc but they are tough and work hard for every basket. Tough out but their defense would be tough to beat. Fast and they run. As best I can tell, GU -Baylor would be a tough one to pick but this would be an even up scrap till the last minute.

Having watched Baylor numerous times and especially the Texas Tech and Kansas games, they are a major heavyweight.

KU vs Baylor was a Big boy game. Baylor can play with enough offensive firepower to go along with brute strength and physicality, thats what makes them Championship caliber.

Main concern for GU is dealing with Baylor's physicality. Agree with the points above, the less fouls called, the better it is for Baylor. I think GU has to expect that if they met Baylor, not to get bailed out by the refs, no matter how much fouling is existing, and just play through it. Past GU teams havent done well with this. It's got to be a mindset, dont look to the officials, and play physically tough too on the defensive end. This is always an area where GU is an a disadvantage compared to the Power Conference teams, the WCC can't offer that level of physicality.

GU would HAVE to shoot the ball well from 3 to space the floor, I think it would take 9+ 3s to win, and GU hasnt been a great outside shooting team collectively, but against Baylor I think they cant win hitting just 4 3s for the game. The Offensive flow and off-ball movement HAS to be a grade A, because the Baylor 3 guards 1 v 1 arent going to be broken down by GU in the halfcourt. Terrible matchup for GU, so theyd have to keep the ball hot, keep the defense moving. A Pepperdine/St Mary's offense is going to get smothered by Baylor.
    Transition wont be easy either because those 3 guards are great athletes, and that's IF GU can defensive rebound at a high enough rate to give transition a chance.

GU's defense vs Baylor: I think GU would be OK on the low post since Baylor does not have a back-to-basket scorer, this should keep fouls on this aspect low, BUT very concerned about Baylor's offensive rebounding. Vital and especially John could overpower GU inside and wreck the game for the Zags.
    GU's perimeters vs Baylor should be OK and force just enough jump shots rather than giving up blowbys.

I hope that Ballo, Watson really come on from a toughness, rebounding standpoint into March. Facing a team like this will make them grow up.

For a team to beat Baylor, its as much about toughness as it would be about shooting %. You're going to get pushed around and the game will have so much contact you can either complain every trip or match it/deal with it. Zags didnt handle that well vs Pepperdine. I'm positive Coach Few has been harping on this but it's always better to experience it so in many ways a GU regular season game vs Baylor helps GU more.

I agree that the Zags shouldn't expect to get all the fouls called. Call them fair and even and let the chips fall where they may.

I just hope the refs call the stepped out of bounds calls. Those are the ones that REALLY have killed the Zags.
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

DOOMED!

We could be Stu. Few needs to find some good teams as tuneups. Our guys need to work.’

Quote Originally Posted by WRHUradio View Post
    For a team to beat Baylor, its as much about toughness as it would be about shooting %. You're going to get pushed around and the game will have so much contact you can either complain every trip or match it/deal with it. Zags didnt handle that well vs Pepperdine. I'm positive Coach Few has been harping on this but it's always better to experience it so in many ways a GU regular season game vs Baylor helps GU more.
    It's always about toughness in theses games

And calling out BS isn't complaining...it's calling out the BS. Complaining = labeling those who call out the BS as the complainers

BS exists, pretend it doesn't if you want to, you won't be alone

Anyway, the Zags will need to overcome it, no doubt about that, on this we all agree.

Calling it out and overcoming it are not mutually exclusive, in fact, how can you overcome the BS if you pretend it doesn't even exist...LOL

From my perspective... Baylor had some serious scoring droughts, mostly due to not playing disciplined basketball and not exactly Kansas' defense
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    From my perspective... Baylor had some serious scoring droughts, mostly due to not playing disciplined basketball and not exactly Kansas' defense
    Neither team impressed me with their ball movement on offense...too much dribbling, one on one, sloppy passes.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Neither team impressed me with their ball movement on offense...too much dribbling, one on one, sloppy passes.
    baylor looks like they would be vulnerable if their 3s aren't falling...but their defense is impressive.

There is no doubt that Baylor is GU's biggest rival towards winning a national title. But I will argue to the day I die that winning SIX GAMES IN A ROW is a lot different than winning, say, 4 games in a row, and the team that wins six games in a row is most often the team with the most NBA talent. Gonzaga simply has more of it than Baylor, regardless of their physicality and defensive prowess. Moreover, Few has Scott Drew's number as a coach. He just knows how to beat their program. Which is not to say, in anyway, that Baylor cannot beat the Zags. If I could pick one team I'd rather not play in March Madness, it is Baylor. I just feel the presence of Baylor is a reminder that the Zags are not invincible. I still feel, however, that GU is the favorite to win it all.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    baylor looks like they would be vulnerable if their 3s aren't falling...but their defense is impressive.
    Agreed, but they’ll e in trouble in games where the referees are calling hand checks and moving screens.