Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Could GU keep Cook Next Year and Not Lose a Scholarship Planned for A New Recruit?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,260

    Default Could GU keep Cook Next Year and Not Lose a Scholarship Planned for A New Recruit?

    There is a fascinating (and well researched) recent post on the WBB board discussing the NCAA's apparent suspension of the maximum scholarship limit the NCAA imposes for the 2021-2 season. A big thank you to ZagDad84 for the post!

    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...ext-Years-TEAM
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    There is a fascinating (and well researched) recent post on the WBB board discussing the NCAA's apparent suspension of the maximum scholarship limit the NCAA imposes for the 2021-2 season. A big thank you to ZagDad84 for the post!

    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...ext-Years-TEAM
    If you are Hunter, and you hear that Cook and Nembhard AND Ayayi (or some combination), does that make you STILL want to come to Gonzaga, or make you go to a school that says you will start?
    Are you laughing at ME?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    If you are Hunter, and you hear that Cook and Nembhard AND Ayayi (or some combination), does that make you STILL want to come to Gonzaga, or make you go to a school that says you will start?
    Gonzaga wouldn’t tell him he’d start if all three left. I really don’t think we are in the lead for him anyway.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Gonzaga wouldn’t tell him he’d start if all three left. I really don’t think we are in the lead for him anyway.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you. I was using Hunter as an example.

    I don't follow recruiting much, other than what is posted in the recruiting forum, but didn't the Hunter Sallis recruiting start when HE got in touch with Gonzaga expressing an interest?

    If he was seriously interested but saw that there would be a couple of starters in front of him, it might make his decision change.
    That was more the point. It applies to any other position as well. Some have expressed concern about getting Chet, if there are too many at the 4-5 positions.

    Personally, I hope we get both but have no real ideas of what will happen. The one person with the most (seemingly) insight left the board.
    Last edited by willandi; 01-20-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    Are you laughing at ME?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    PNWest
    Posts
    3,529

    Default

    Ballers like competition, Sallis is a Baller and up to the challenge, maybe a chance to make history with the Zags making it two nattys in a row.

    Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    If you are Hunter, and you hear that Cook and Nembhard AND Ayayi (or some combination), does that make you STILL want to come to Gonzaga, or make you go to a school that says you will start?
    Wouldn't be any different than this year with Suggs, seems to be working out okay for him. I highly doubt Ayayi will be back next year though.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    32

    Default

    This is probably overly hopeful, but I'd love to see Ayayi come back and move silent assassin to featured option similar to Corey. His wing span, size, speed, and instincts/nose for the ball make him an NBA-caliber player, but if he were told to hunt his shot a bit more, could he put up 16-9-4.5 next year?

    Starting five of Timme, Holmgren, Ayayi, Sallis, Nembhard.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matttrick View Post
    This is probably overly hopeful, but I'd love to see Ayayi come back and move silent assassin to featured option similar to Corey. His wing span, size, speed, and instincts/nose for the ball make him an NBA-caliber player, but if he were told to hunt his shot a bit more, could he put up 16-9-4.5 next year?

    Starting five of Timme, Holmgren, Ayayi, Sallis, Nembhard.
    0% chance that Watson doesn't start next year

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,178

    Default

    Saw this factoid from Jon Rothstein today, via twitter:

    Think player retention matters in college basketball?

    45 of the 50 starters on the 10 teams ranked in the Top 10 of this week's AP Top 25 were all a part of their current programs last season.

    Returning personnel > incoming personnel.


    The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    “They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Ballers like competition, Sallis is a Baller and up to the challenge, maybe a chance to make history with the Zags making it two nattys in a row.

    Go!! Zags!!!
    +1.
    Go Zags!!!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matttrick View Post
    This is probably overly hopeful, but I'd love to see Ayayi come back and move silent assassin to featured option similar to Corey. His wing span, size, speed, and instincts/nose for the ball make him an NBA-caliber player, but if he were told to hunt his shot a bit more, could he put up 16-9-4.5 next year?

    Starting five of Timme, Holmgren, Ayayi, Sallis, Nembhard.
    Joel's looking ahead to the next phase of his life...he graduated last December. He'll open some eyes during the NCAA tournament.

    I'm very confident when I say enjoy the rest of the season, Joel's moving on.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    0% chance that Watson doesn't start next year
    I would expect Few to start Watson next year as well. I just don't think Few will be easily persuaded to relegate an upperclassman to the bench who was a consistent starter as a underclassman. However, if Watson doesn't make a big performance leap, he may well start, but Holmgren will get the lion share of his minutes.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,340

    Default

    This version of Watson would not start over Chet. Nope, don’t see that happening.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,032

    Default

    Watson keeps playing lie last game, his sleepy disinterest won’t work this or next year. He really needs to get going!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    Timme at the 5 and Chet at the 4 is deadly. Watson off the bench has worked really well for the team this year.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Timme at the 5 and Chet at the 4 is deadly. Watson off the bench has worked really well for the team this year.
    Timme at 5, Watson at 4,Chet at 3

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Holmgren will start somewhere if he comes here. You don't sign the number 1 recruit in the country and not start him. I am afraid that if you didn't start him, you would never sign a number 1 player again. That's just my opinion.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Holmgren will start somewhere if he comes here. You don't sign the number 1 recruit in the country and not start him. I am afraid that if you didn't start him, you would never sign a number 1 player again. That's just my opinion.
    I believe that's the mindset of a certain Kentucky coach, where the best and most productive 5 year player is still only playing 25 minutes a game because, as some fans put it, the 1 and dones need their minutes. I don't think Coach Few would be so foolish. That being said, if you're the number 1 recruit in the nation, earning that starting spot should be easier perhaps.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

  19. #19

    Default

    How far does this rotation go next year?:

    Nembhard/grad transfer
    Sallis/Harris
    Strawther/Watson/Zeng
    Holmgren/Watson/Perry/Gregg
    Timme/Ballo/Perry

    Yes i have watson on the bench. Unless he can all of a sudden play the SF which he hasnt shown he has the ability to do, he is at the 4 or the 5.. he certainly isnt replacing Timme who will be a preseason first season AA and he certainly isnt starting over the #1 overall recruit in the nation.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    I believe that's the mindset of a certain Kentucky coach, where the best and most productive 5 year player is still only playing 25 minutes a game because, as some fans put it, the 1 and dones need their minutes. I don't think Coach Few would be so foolish. That being said, if you're the number 1 recruit in the nation, earning that starting spot should be easier perhaps.
    There is one big diference between Coach Few and Coach Calipari, Coach Few can actually coach the game. Calipari is an excellent recruiter, but as far as the x and o's part of the game not so much. It looks like the ratings experts have let Coach Calipari down this year, and his lack of x and O's part of his game is really showing.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Also, having two freshman start (provided both earned their spot) alongside two potential All-Americans in Nembhard Timme, with Watson as the fifth starter is very different from what Coach Cal tends to have. Something tells me few has less ego-managing to deal with.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Joel's looking ahead to the next phase of his life...he graduated last December. He'll open some eyes during the NCAA tournament.

    I'm very confident when I say enjoy the rest of the season, Joel's moving on.

    Forgot about the graduation- crazy how quickly he pulled that off. Shame, though I'll be happy for Joel, he's an absolute pleasure to watch.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Joel's looking ahead to the next phase of his life...he graduated last December. He'll open some eyes during the NCAA tournament.

    I'm very confident when I say enjoy the rest of the season, Joel's moving on.
    I didn’t realize Joel graduated this past December. He enrolled at Gonzaga in Fall 2017 then graduated December 2020...one semester earlier than most Fa17 admits will graduate. Very impressive considering the time commitment that goes with of being a scholarship athlete.

    Ayayi is a year younger than most Fa17 college admits as he was only 17 at the time. That fact plus considering the 2021 NBA draft is considered very very strong and having seen Kispert’s draft stick rise so sharply after returning for a senior season makes me wonder if Joel May consider returning, earn a master’s degree and be more of a go to scoring star and all around leader for 2021-22 Zags. Who knows
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    If you are Hunter, and you hear that Cook and Nembhard AND Ayayi (or some combination), does that make you STILL want to come to Gonzaga, or make you go to a school that says you will start?
    If I'm Hunter and see that three Zag guards that played a huge roll are returning and I'm worried about starting or playing time, then I'm not a potential NBA guard. That's not the way the elite kids think..
    Also as much as I love Joel and his game I'm not sure how well it translates to the NBA. He does everything well. He's a great rebounder for a college guard, but can he do that at the next level with bigger stronger faster players? I'm not sure. I'm just happy he's a Zag one of my all time favorites.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Thank you. I was using Hunter as an example.

    I don't follow recruiting much, other than what is posted in the recruiting forum, but didn't the Hunter Sallis recruiting start when HE got in touch with Gonzaga expressing an interest?

    If he was seriously interested but saw that there would be a couple of starters in front of him, it might make his decision change.
    That was more the point. It applies to any other position as well. Some have expressed concern about getting Chet, if there are too many at the 4-5 positions.

    Personally, I hope we get both but have no real ideas of what will happen. The one person with the most (seemingly) insight left the board.
    Reading my post today, after not being on here a couple of days. It sure came across a lot more surly sounding than was ever intended. I was just saying that the staff would never promise a starting spot to a recruit, granted a recruit should be able to see his prospects of starting pretty easily. I hope I am wrong on Hunter, he's may favorite recruit this year as I think he fits everything the Zags do, time will tell in that regard.

    Back to topic, I would be curious what the scholarship limit is for 2021-22 basketball season as well. It's well defined in football as they can bring in 25 guys regardless of roster count this year. The caveat there is that they will have to be back to the 85 maximum in the 2022 season (I believe).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •