Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 38 of 38

Thread: Gonzaga vs Pepperdine postgame thoughts and analysis

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    Opening tips: Not exactly sure, but I'm with you, we never win them with Timme at the jump. Not a knock on Timme, love the guy, just is what it is. I've noticed the same thing, actually look for it every tip, I just can't remember for sure. If we have won any tips, it's only 1 or 2 from what I can remember.
    I think we'll be winning most tips next year with a springy 7' freshman center.

    Incidentally, I noticed that 247 moved Ben Gregg from our 2021 class to our 2020 class, so we currently just have Kaden Perry for 2021. I guess that's technically correct since Gregg graduated in 2020, but still kind of odd.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    9,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    I think we'll be winning most tips next year with a springy 7' freshman center.

    Incidentally, I noticed that 247 moved Ben Gregg from our 2021 class to our 2020 class, so we currently just have Kaden Perry for 2021. I guess that's technically correct since Gregg graduated in 2020, but still kind of odd.
    I saw what you did there! I've had the same thoughts, but I'm so far removed from those in the know, I might as well be in a van down by the river.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,499

    Default

    I missed the game. I was on the train heading out to Michigan to be with my brother John who is dying. It may have been the first game I've ever missed. Couple things to remember. Zags were playing at home. It has to be hard playing in an empty K2. They have to miss the racket and noise coming from the student section. We seemed to settle down the 2nd half.

    Next. Pepperdine is a pretty good team. Not great but also not bad. Romar is a pretty good coach and knows Gonzaga well.

    Finally, I think the WCC is not as bad as so many seem to think. I am always one who has always believed that it's NEVER easy to win 'em all in conference. Really tough to go all the way undefeated. A conference championship never comes easy for ANY TEAM. Our conference games have never seemed to hurt us come NCAA Tournament time.

    Winning by 25 is no easy matter, in my opinion. Zags are noted to do better in second half, imo.

    Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  4. #29

    Default

    My prediction was looking decent until Zags averaged 3 points a minute the last 5 minutes. Thats pretty good production. Against Virginia they averaged 1.4+ points per possession. On Virginia's board they couldn't believe that stat.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    152

    Default start game jump

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Suggs has a two guard’s handle, not a point guard’s. It needs work if he’s truly a high lotto pick.

    I think Mercury, the god, not the element, when Joel zooms.

    Zags have lost all jumps I’ve seen. Dunno why. Let Suggs jump. Tims and Watty are below the rim players. Or get JW3 in to tutor them; did he ever not win one?

    Your optimism w respect to AW and MB is laudable but borders on pollyanish, IMO. I see a lot of work needed with both. Off season work.
    White guys can't jump,let Suggs jump(etc.),but I like the idea of getting the ball to start the second half.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Unfortunately that's not how the opening tip works. It just sets the possession arrow, amd whichever team has the posession arrow at half gets the ball first in the 2nd half.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Unfortunately that's not how the opening tip works. It just sets the possession arrow, amd whichever team has the posession arrow at half gets the ball first in the 2nd half.
    - dont mean to be a smarty pants, but i'm a high school basketball official and this is not correct.

    - once team A secures the opening tip, the possesion arrow is immediately pointed toward team B. thereafter the possession arrow goes back and forth if one of the following happens.
    1. a held ball
    2. officials cannot determine which team caused the ball to go out of bounds
    3. simultaneous floor or free throw violations
    4. simultaneous basket interference violations (which never ever happen)
    5. the ball becomes wedged between the basket rim and the backboard

    this all to say team A can win the opening tip AND also start the second half with the ball. (such as if during first half there was only one held ball, or 3 held balls)

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike#1 View Post
    Opening tips: Not exactly sure, but I'm with you, we never win them with Timme at the jump. Not a knock on Timme, love the guy, just is what it is. I've noticed the same thing, actually look for it every tip, I just can't remember for sure. If we have won any tips, it's only 1 or 2 from what I can remember.
    - the best player we had by far tipping the ball to start the game was johnathan Williams the 3rd. the season we went to the national championship game, i recall about 10 games in thinking, wow have we not won every tip so far?
    - from that point i made a specific mental note, and for rest of the regular season we won every opening tip except once. come tournaments wcc and ncaa i do not recall, but i know in the regular season of some 30 games we won 28 if not 29 tips.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Liberty Lake
    Posts
    1,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - dont mean to be a smarty pants, but i'm a high school basketball official and this is not correct.

    - once team A secures the opening tip, the possesion arrow is immediately pointed toward team B. thereafter the possession arrow goes back and forth
    I appreciate your clarification of the "possession arrow" rule. But I think that's what 'scrooner' was saying when he stated "whichever team has the possession arrow at half gets the ball first in the 2nd half". Maybe not, but that's how I read it. Good to have these discussions especially from refs/officials. Oh, while I have your attention, what did you think about the officiating last Thursday in the Pepperdine game, especially relating to the plethora of charge calls going against the Zags?
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ProVeeZag View Post
    I appreciate your clarification of the "possession arrow" rule. But I think that's what 'scrooner' was saying when he stated "whichever team has the possession arrow at half gets the ball first in the 2nd half". Maybe not, but that's how I read it. Good to have these discussions especially from refs/officials. Oh, while I have your attention, what did you think about the officiating last Thursday in the Pepperdine game, especially relating to the plethora of charge calls going against the Zags?
    Yes, thank you. Either team could start the 2nd half with the ball, depending on which way the arrow is pointing after it changes direction (presumably) throughout the first half.

    There is no advantage to losing the opening tip, and you will potentially get one fewer possession over the course of the game.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    1,020

    Default

    - perhaps i did misunderstand. indeed the last thing the officials do as they walk off the floor at half time is to instruct the possession arrow operator to change the arrow from left to right (or right to left) because the team with the possession arrow is going to start the second half going in the opposite direction.

    - the second half was poorly called, obvious missed calls on block charges.
    - but the thing is...........it is easy to see the error on the block charge in slow motion, it takes composure and a trained eye to do it in real time, and even then i personally would hope i get it right 80% of the time.
    - part of the problem is officials are always trained, if there is a crash and somebody is on the floor, blow your whistle, there is a foul. the players know this, so they are encouraged to jump in front of the offensive player and thereby get knocked to the ground. i'm really hoping the flop warnings they are giving this year will help lessen the number of block/charge offenses. may only happen once technicals are handed out for unsporting conduct.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    seattle, spokane
    Posts
    3,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    I think we'll be winning most tips next year with a springy 7' freshman center.

    Incidentally, I noticed that 247 moved Ben Gregg from our 2021 class to our 2020 class, so we currently just have Kaden Perry for 2021. I guess that's technically correct since Gregg graduated in 2020, but still kind of odd.
    i hope you are right,
    i have little doubt that Dom, Strawther and Suggs are putting in the good word,
    is there a deadline for when chet must declare intentions?

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    14,937

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    ,
    is there a deadline for when chet must declare intentions?

    The last day to register for classes @ GU.


    (or later, as the case may be)
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •