Thread: Is Ayayi only the 4th best player?

Default Is Ayayi only the 4th best player?

Thatís been the narrative of late, but Iíve been watching a guy who has been competing in so many levels of the game. Heís been the Zags best player pretty much the month of January. His rebounding, hustle, cuts, screens, passes, and ball control have all been elite. He might be the 4th best scorer on this team, but right now he is playing like the second best player.

I will not put a rank on him. With that said without him we may have lost a game or two. He does so many things for this team. He's a Swiss army knife.
    America's Team!

No. He's underrated

I absolutely love his game. Players like him make the smart play almost without fail. He fills the stat sheet but that is only scratching the surface of what he does on the floor.

I’m biased. He was my favorite player last year and he was approaching elite status towards the end of the season. I’ve actually been offended when all the talk was about the “Big Three”. Those three are terrific, but putting Joel in a lesser tier never made sense to me.

12-13-14-0

Cory then Joel

Quote Originally Posted by Larryzag View Post
    Cory then Joel
    Suggs leads this team on the court. I hate to rank, but if I did it would be Kispert, Suggs, Ayayi, Timme, Nembhard.

We really need Watson and Ballo to step up. Both are the weakest links among those getting consistent minutes. Watson has shown improvement, but I remain cautious because he hasnít played well against good competition yet.

Or, Drew is the most valuable due to his lack of a replacement.

This team is impossible to rank as individuals. Great problem to have!

Can someone explain the 1 star vote?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Lol i have always asked this but ppl say who cares.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Lol i have always asked this but ppl say who cares.
    I'm not ready to exile him/her to a van down by the river and a tub of government cheese, but that vote is a head scratcher, and it's making my scalp eczema flare up.

I think it's the "Thou shalt not rate/compare players against each other" thing. So I never rate threads but I gave it a five star just to even things out. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post

This team is impossible to rank as individuals. Great problem to have!
    Very true as well. Surprisingly, we are bit short on bigs. To start the year I thought Watson would have progressed more, Ballo would have been further along and Pavel would be getting minutes.

Default Is Ayayi only the 4th best player?

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Thatís been the narrative of late, but Iíve been watching a guy who has been competing in so many levels of the game. Heís been the Zags best player pretty much the month of January. His rebounding, hustle, cuts, screens, passes, and ball control have all been elite. He might be the 4th best scorer on this team, but right now he is playing like the second best player.
    In our system, itís hard to say. If youíre talking NBA heís probably our third best prospect this year. If youíre talking on the court this year for the Zags, it could be argued anywhere from one to four as our top four are all important to the system.

If I ranked them Iíd probably say Kispert, Timme, Ayayi, Suggs as far as consistency and play this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes....it was me....I do not like these kinds of threads.....you might just default any one star thread to me......it is probably a product of my own lack of self esteem.......I need to add that I almost always enjoy and respect Mal's opinions....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Yes....it was me....I do not like these kinds of threads.....you might just default any one star thread to me......it is probably a product of my own lack of self esteem.......I need to add that I almost always enjoy and respect Mal's opinions....
    Fair enough bart... lol

Fair enough bart... lol
    Well it is not my only claim to fame.....going back to the Crosby........ I am also responsible for closing the most threads.....that is except for Spy who was in a league of his own........ and a early victim of the cancel culture in here...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Well it is not my only claim to fame.....going back to the Crosby........ I am also responsible for closing the most threads.....that is except for Spy who was in a league of his own........ and a early victim of the cancel culture in here...
    Nope, his ban was well earned. It’s too bad the staff can no longer read and capitalize on his recruiting tips from this board, however (per his claim). ��

My point is coming from more of an exhaustive standpoint of hearing the media claim that he is the Zags fourth best player. From what I have seen, he is as important to the success of the team as any other player on the roster. His usage rate is the lowest among rotation players, but his impact is evident to anyone watching him. He’s a guy that adds so much to what the do, but he also doesn’t make many mistakes out there. He isn’t the scoring star, but he does all the little things which help the Zags win. He is as critical to the success of this team as Kispert, Suggs, and Timme. He’s been playing lights out lately, and I’m enjoying his play as much as some of my all time favorites.

Also, it’s cool if bart wants to rate this as a 1 star. I don’t pay attention to that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    That’s been the narrative of late, but I’ve been watching a guy who has been competing in so many levels of the game. He’s been the Zags best player pretty much the month of January. His rebounding, hustle, cuts, screens, passes, and ball control have all been elite. He might be the 4th best scorer on this team, but right now he is playing like the second best player.
    amen to this,he is the one to watch.

One of the things about a TEAM, is that each person, doing their part, enables the others to do theirs.

Joel is amazing, but w/o Corey bombing from outside, Timme being solid in the lane, Watson being long and lean defensively AND on the boards, plus Jalen/Nemhard/Cook balling up front...could Ayayi be doing what he is?

He is part of a team, and it goes for all the others as well. They all help each other.

But I love to watch what he is doing. It is amazing.
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

I liked the NBA draft analysis during the game yesterday from Mike Schmitz. He said Ayayi would get drafted this year in the 2nd round, but could be a first round pick next year. Hope we get another year out of him, but good for him either way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Very true as well. Surprisingly, we are bit short on bigs. To start the year I thought Watson would have progressed more, Ballo would have been further along and Pavel would be getting minutes.

Plus One