Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Other WBB NCAA games

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Yeah, Arkansas has some losses to really good teams, but they are only 1-5 against ranked teams. They are sure getting mileage out of that one ranked win (against Baylor). How many losses does a team have to have before they get placed out of the Top-25?

ZagDad
    In a shootout w/ UConn right now, trailing 43-41 at the half. If they lose AGAIN they should definitely fall out of the poll. But pull off the win against #3 and I'll bet they'll still be hanging around.

UConn fans want to think they are better than everybody else, but they've had their hands full w/ Tennessee and Arkansas. I'd bet anything if they were in the SEC this year they would drop several games. Even though I really don't like South Carolina I kinda hope they can take UConn down a peg or two, like they did last year.

Could we have #2 and #3 lose on the same day? Arkansas is on fire in the 2nd half and up 9. Chelsea Dungee going off, 25 points on 10-15 shooting.

UConn not looking very much like an elite team today.

A good team, maybe a very good team, but certainly not an elite team.

Just like we talk about the Lady Zags, you have to stop the ball handler before they get to the key. Arkansas has hit, what, something like 12 3s so far today? Got to get out to guard the 3-point line. Arkansas has hit as many as 16 3-pointers in a single game, you can not leave them open.

ZagDad

Paige Bueckers (UConn) is having quite the freshman season.

She just passed Breanna Stewart (Seattle Storm MVP) for the most points scored in her first 10 games for UConn.

Not too bad of company to keep.

ZagDad

Dang it, Arkansas completely falling apart. Blew a 13 point lead, UConn back in front and has all the momentum (and suddenly getting every call in their favor).

edit--whoa, Arky responds w/ a 7-0 run. Up 5 w/ just under 4 minutes left.

90-87 Arkansas holds on. Will remain ranked for another week. Unbeatens falling left and right today. Bueckers had a great 2nd half, but Dungee was great all game long. She had 37, Paige had 27.

Arkansas lays 31 on UConn in the 3rd quarter.

Tough to win a game when you give up 31 points in a quarter. UConn tried as they got 25 points in the 4th, just not quite enough.

#4 South Carolina is holding on to a double digit lead over #21 Mississippi State heading into the 4th quarter (on ESPN).

#20 Tennessee hold a 3 point lead over a mediocre Ol' Miss team with 6 minutes to go in the 4th.

#22 Georgia mucking it up with a 0.500 LSU team, tied at 43 with 7 minutes to go in the 4th.

ZagDad

LSU takes down Georgia. Tennessee beats Ole Miss by 1. South Carolina with a fairly easy win. Mississippi St. is my new target for "why are they ranked?" Based on pretty much nothing. 3-4 in conference, 8-5 overall. One decent win against Georgia.

#2 and #3 lost tonight, #1 is not going to suffer the same fate. Louisville crushing North Carolina.

Ohio St. doing it again, about to beat Indiana. Would improve to 10-1 overall and 6-1 in conference. Their schedule started light but they've beaten Iowa, Michigan, Maryland and now Indiana. The lone loss a bit surprisingly was against Nebraska.

Louisville let a 25 or more point lead dwindle down to 8 before hanging on. Kinda like Stanford last night against the Cougs.

edit--and Texas A&M is barely leading a terrible Auburn team; the SEC is impossible to figure this year

Stanford absolutely stymied the Leger-Walker sisters again, even moreso today. Cougs hung in for a while but the Card ran away down the stretch. WSU still winless all time against Stanford, near 70 games now. Cougs sinking towards .500. Don't get the gimme win against Cal this week because the Bears are still on a covid shutdown.

Oh, Oregon announced a couple hours ago they are on a shutdown.

I watched Paige Beuckers, Haily Van Lith and two others win the women's open division at Spokane's Hoopfest in 2018. You could see star written all over Beuckers and Van Lith for that matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6anv-9BeSBo The team they beat included GU's Shaniqua Nilles, Janelle Bekkering, Jazzy Redman

That's cool Section 116, thanks for the link to the game. I got to see Van Lith around a year ago when Cashmere played at King's (Corey Kispert's alma mater), minutes from my house. She did whatever she wanted that game, I had a hard time judging just how good she was due to level of competition.

Do any of you follow the Big Sky Conference? Several of the teams are close to Spokane, might have some interest for some of you. I don't see games but check out scores and standings. The teams have kinda been taking turns in recent season, no one program is dominating. This year it's Idaho St.'s turn. Undefeated in league and 13-1 overall. They have a fairly international roster and domestic players from around the country, but one from Spokane, one from Kennewick and one from Olympia. I looked at their stats, offense isn't eye popping but looks like they play stingy defense. Kinda cool seeing other teams from the Inland Empire in addition to GU doing well.

So I need to stop turning games off midway through thinking it’s over.

Case in point: #5 UCLA vs ASU.

60-57 Final.

Our local phenom Charisma Osborne has 27 points. Her and Chels came up playing together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CG3Dad View Post
    So I need to stop turning games off midway through thinking it’s over.

Case in point: #5 UCLA vs ASU.

60-57 Final.

Our local phenom Charisma Osborne has 27 points. Her and Chels came up playing together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think Osborne might be working her way into being the front runner for Pac 12 POY. McDonald, Haley Jones and Onyenwere just haven't been consistent enough and Charisma has really been coming up big lately.

Lots of games involving Top-25 Wbb teams today.

#3 UConn actually looked like a #3 team absolutely hammering #17 Depaul 100-67. Depaul could not handle UConn's height and UConn got out on Depaul's 3-point shooters making it difficult for Depaul to shoot their uncontested 3s. Depaul has played some top notch competition, but other than a 93-91 loss to #13 Texas A&M in their first game of the season, Depaul has not been competitive in their games against ranked teams. They have lost their games against now #3 UConn by 23 points and 33 points respectively and lost to #5 (now #1) Louisville by 41 points.

#8 Texas A&M is just starting to pull away from #22 Georgia 37-30 with just over 4-1/2 minutes left in the 3rd. #16 Indiana was down big to Michigan State at half, but a big 3rd quarter and a (so far) 4th quarter, Indiana is up 10 points with less than a minute to go in the 4th. Unranked Alabama had a 41-40 lead over #4 South Carolina at half, then the 2nd half started. South Carolina dominates the 2nd half and wins 87-63 limiting the crimson tide to only 22 2nd half points. #6 Stanford hammered the Huskies 74-48. How did the 4-8 Huskies end up with 4 Top-100 picks again?. #9 Baylor got revenge over unranked Iowa State in Ames by beating the Cyclones 85-77. #15 Kentucky had a knock down drag out fight with 0.500 Missouri before hitting their free throws to win 61-55. #19 Arkansas had a hangover from their victory over UConn and let unranked Auburn jump out to a 18-9 lead after the first quarter. Too bad they did not call the game at that point as Arkansas won each of the remaining 3 quarters to win 77-67. Finally, #20 Tennessee slowly pulled away from a 0.500 Florida team 79-65.

Unfortunately the Covid bug strikes today's #10 Arizona vs #5 UCLA game, so it was postponed.

ZagDad

I watched the Stanford-Washington game. Huskies were missing 3 starters. At one point in the game they had 2 walk ons (one a practice squad player who was just activated for this game) and a former walk on all on the court together. They had no business staying within 40 or 50 points of Stanford, it was actually a fairly gutty performance for a team with a glaring lack of talent (and now depth). 'Furd jumped out 38-9 early in Q2 and then went to sleep for most of the rest of the game.

Huskies went to the Final 4 in '16 and won 29 games and went to the Sweet 16 in '17. Coach Wynn has absolutely run the program into the ground. She needs to be fired, but I'm afraid she's going to get at least 1 more year (she was signed to a 6 year contract for reasons I cannot fathom so could possibly even have 2 years left after this one). I have zero hope she's ever going to get the program heading in a positive direction. Just about the only reason she won any games the previous 3 years was because of Amber Melgoza, a holdover recruit from the previous coach.

And yet these horrible Huskies beat both BYU and Portland by about 30. I'm never gonna forget that.

For those WCC fans,

Portland hosts San Diego, February 1, 2021 (Monday) at 2:00 PM in Portland's only scheduled game this week.

ZagDad

Watching the USD vs Portland game.

I did not realize that USD is in the top 5 in steals per game and turnovers created per game. They sure are showing it in the first half of the game versus the pilots.

If you remember the first 5-6 minutes of the GUs 4th quarter against Pacific, that was Portland's entire first half. They had 21 (yes that reads 21) turnovers in the first half leading to 27 USD points.

Yet Portland only behind 39-27 at half.

Starting the 3rd quarter Pilots have the deficit down to 8, 44-36.

ZagDad

Watching the USD vs Portland game.

I did not realize that USD is in the top 5 in steals per game and turnovers created per game. They sure are showing it in the first half of the game versus the pilots.

If you remember the first 5-6 minutes of the GUs 4th quarter against Pacific, that was Portland's entire first half. They had 21 (yes that reads 21) turnovers in the first half leading to 27 USD points.

Yet Portland only behind 39-27 at half.

Starting the 3rd quarter Pilots have the deficit down to 8, 44-36.

ZagDad
    Portland tied the game up heading into the 4th quarter, but USD outscored them by 7 in the final frame.

Who wants to be #3 in the WCC? UP, SCU and USD in the running.

This week's game of the year is just getting going between #1 Louisville and #4 NC State.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Portland tied the game up heading into the 4th quarter, but USD outscored them by 7 in the final frame.

Who wants to be #3 in the WCC? UP, SCU and USD in the running.
    Portland turned things around in the 3rd quarter and early in the fourth quarter getting as much as a 5 point lead. The last half of the 4th quarter, USD picked up the pressure and the Pilots resorted to turning the ball over again.

Portland ended up with 31(!!!) turnovers resulting in 35 points for the Toreros. Andrews had 8 T/Os, Frawley had 6 T/0s, Fowler had 4 T/Os and so on and so on...... Wash, rinse, repeat. The Portland guards particularly looked like a middle school team at times today.

That was the game folks.

ZagDad

Portland turned things around in the 3rd quarter and early in the fourth quarter getting as much as a 5 point lead. The last half of the 4th quarter, USD picked up the pressure and the Pilots resorted to turning the ball over again.

Portland ended up with 31(!!!) turnovers resulting in 35 points for the Toreros. Andrews had 8 T/Os, Frawley had 6 T/0s, Fowler had 4 T/Os and so on and so on...... Wash, rinse, repeat. The Portland guards particularly looked like a middle school team at times today.

That was the game folks.

ZagDad
    How in the world were they even in the game, turning it over more than 30 times? USD must not have played all that well other than forcing TOs. Barely over a point scored per TO is not a good ratio at all.

Louisville-NC State was tied after Q1. Turned UGLY in Q2, neither team could throw it in the ocean, lots of TOs. 29-25 Wolfpack at the half. I keep watching games, and I can't find anybody worthy of being ranked #1 this season.