Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Other WBB NCAA games

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Weird situation in the Missouri Valley. In one semifinal, Missouri St. was supposed to play Bradley. Bradley either had some positive tests, or players that were exposed. Conference decreed game goes on. Missouri St. said no thanks, so they were forced to forfeit. Then the conference reseeded the tourney and has Bradley playing one of the teams form the other semi and Drake advancing to the championship.
    It is exactly what I would have done. Missouri State is going to get an at-large bid if they don't win their conference tournament and it probably won't change their seed line by more than a single seed line if that. There is insufficient time to get in 7 consecutive days of clean tests if somebody else from Bradley turned up sick. Why risk your spot in the NCAA tournament? It helps the MVC because now they will get two teams in the NCAA when they were likely only going to get 1.

The big loser, BYU and anybody else on the bubble. This means there is one less at-large bid available. Another nail in the Cougar coffin.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    It is exactly what I would have done. Missouri State is going to get an at-large bid if they don't win their conference tournament and it probably won't change their seed line by more than a single seed line if that. There is insufficient time to get in 7 consecutive days of clean tests if somebody else from Bradley turned up sick. Why risk your spot in the NCAA tournament? It helps the MVC because now they will get two teams in the NCAA when they were likely only going to get 1.

The big loser, BYU and anybody else on the bubble. This means there is one less at-large bid available. Another nail in the Cougar coffin.

ZagDad
    I really, really, really hope Mississippi St. gets bumped out. They absolutely do not deserve a bid, I can't even believe they are under consideration.

Charlie Creme has updated his current bracket and Missouri State stayed as a 5th seed and he now has Drake as the Automatic Qualifier as a 13th seed. SeaCat will be dancing in the aisle, Miss. State is now shown as the first team OUT and BYU drops down to the 4th team out.

More upsets but the results probably won't steal any at-large bids.

In the MAC - #2 Central Michigan took down #1 Bowling Green 77-72. Charlie Creme had Bowling Green as a 12th seed (playing Gonzaga in round #1). After BG's loss, Creme's updated bracket has Central Michigan as the automatic qualifier as a 12th seed still playing Gonzaga. Bowling Green is not shown as getting an at-large bid, so not stolen bids from this result.

In the A-10 semi-finals, #5 VCU took down #1 Dayton 56-50 and #7 UMass took down #3 St. Louis. An interesting note is that neither UMass or VCU have ever won the A-10 tournament title, so we will have a new winner. In addition, VCU is playing on their home court for the final. Creme has St. Louis as the Automatic Qualifier (which obviously will need to change) at a 13th seed. So it is unlikely the A-10 will get more than one bid, so no automatic qualifier bids lost.

In the B-10, #7 Maryland had no trouble with Iowa, 104-84. Nothing really wrong with Iowa as their super frosh Clark ended up with 21 points and their post Czinano had 22 and all five starters scored in double digits. The problem was Iowa had 18 turnovers to Maryland's 6 turnovers which helped Maryland take 20 more shots overall than Iowa. Based on a 50+% overall shooting percentage, the 20 extra shots was the entire difference between Maryland and Iowa. Creme has Maryland at a #2 seed and Iowa at a #5 seed whether or not they won the B-10 championship.

In Conference USA tourney, the final pits the speed of Middle Tennessee State vs the 6'9" post of Rice. 22-21 MST halfway through the 2nd quarter. Creme's bracket has Rice as the Automatic Qualifier with a 12th seed, so a MST victory probably would not give Rice an At-Large bid. Rice is in a similar boat to BYU with a good record (18-3) but no signature victories. They did have a 4-point loss to Texas A&M earlier in the season.

ZagDad

Cal Baptist cruised in the WAC championship, 24-0, not going Dancing. They can participate in the WNIT I think.

Cal Baptist cruised in the WAC championship, 24-0, not going Dancing. They can participate in the WNIT I think.
    That sucks.

While I am sure there is a good reason for the rule, it stinks for Cal Baptist.

ZagDad

In the Big-12 semi-final games, #1 Baylor had little trouble with Texas prevailing 66-55.

In the other Big-12 semi-final game, #2 West Virginia, who got lots of gifts from K-State and the officials in the last minute to get a narrow victory in yesterday's quarter final game, needed no such presents today as they dispatched Oklahoma State 59-50.

All four semi-finalist teams were already in Charlie Creme's most recent bracket' Baylor @ #2, West Virginia @ #4, Texas @ #7 and Oklahoma State @ #8. So no matter what happened in the semi-finals today or the finals tomorrow will impact the at-large bids. Had West Virginia lost yesterday to K-State, that may have provided a path for the Lady Zags to move up to a 4th seed. Looking pretty improbable at this time.

Current bracketology has the Lady Zags playing Central Michigan in the first round and if they win (and chalk holds) they would play #4 Kentucky in round 2.

Assuming that Gonzaga stays as a 5th seed, the #4 seeds (who the Zags would play in Round 2) are currently Kentucky, Arkansas, Indiana and West Virginia. Kentucky and Arkansas have had huge swings in their level of play. Both teams are very quick.

Kentucky features a player of the year candidate, Rhyne Howard. Kentucky does not start a lot of height, just a lot of speed. Kentucky has been very inconsistent and if you can contain Howard, you have a decent chance. Kentucky was the 6th place team in the SEC. For reference think BYU (with Teagan Graham and w/o Hamson) with a taller, quicker, much more athletic Paisley Harding.

Arkansas lives and dies by the 3. They have two (2) very good scoring guards; Dungee and Slocum (transfer from Oregon State). Arkansas tends to play their starters a lot of minutes (ala BYU). Arkansas also does not start a lot of height as they play a 4-guard - 1-forward scheme. The starting forward is only 6'1" and the tallest player on the team is 6'3". With Arkansas, it is run, run, run and shoot, shoot, and shoot the 3. If they go in, it can be a long day for anybody, if the 3s are not falling, anybody has a chance. Arkansas was the 5th place team in the SEC. For reference, again think of BYU (with Teagan Graham and w/o Hamson) with a two, much quicker, Shaylee Gonzales'.

West Virginia is the #2 team in the Big-12 (21-5 overall, 13-5 in conference). WV has been more consistent than either Kentucky or Arkansas. Their losses came from twice to Baylor, and generally spits with the other seeded B-12 teams. No bad losses. WV plays a more traditional 3-G, 2-F offense. WV has some height on the bench but most of it is freshman and sophomores. Generally WV elects to play 6'1" and 6'2" forwards. In watching WV, nothing really stood out, just a solid, consistent team with a really aggressive defense. WV does not look like they will beat themselves, it would be up to the Zags to dictate the game pace and keep the turnovers to a minimum.

Indiana, like West Virginia is the #2 team in their conference (Big-10 18-5 overall, 16-2 in conference). Indiana has been very consistent all year. All of their losses have been to high quality teams (Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee, & Ohio State) except for their last lost in the conference tournament to Michigan State. They have wins against Michigan (split), Ohio State (split), Northwestern and Iowa (twice). Indiana, unexpectedly runs a 4-G, 1-F offense but one of their guards is a very talented 6'1" player. Indiana has a very solid, talented, 6'3" forward who is probably not as gifted on the offensive side of the ball as JW (but very close) but is larger and more physical in establishing position. The Hoosier's have some height on the bench (a pair of 6'5" players) but they are freshman and sophomores who don't seem to play many minutes. Indiana does bring in several forwards as bench players and these players are 6'2", 6'3" and 6'0". In watching Indiana, I saw nothing extremely outstanding, just 5 solid players with a high basketball IQ. The larger guard and Forward are very difficult to contain in one-on-one situations. Similar to WV, just a solid team that will beat you with consistency.

There is probably nobody in the WCC who compares to WV and Indiana. If you compare both teams to South Carolina, neither team's guards have the speed of USC's Henderson (nor the inconsistency) and neither team has a forward or post with the size and athletic ability of USC's Aliyah Boston. This would likely mean that the foul shot disparity in a game with either Indiana or WV would not be near the 41-13 disparity Gonzaga had with USC.

I think that Gonzaga would have more than a decent shot against any of the above teams.

Pure speculation, since we will know who for sure who we play on Monday night, Who would you rather play?

What else do you have to do until Monday night.

ZagDad

In Conference USA tourney, the final pits the speed of Middle Tennessee State vs the 6'9" post of Rice. 22-21 MST halfway through the 2nd quarter. Creme's bracket has Rice as the Automatic Qualifier with a 12th seed, so a MST victory probably would not give Rice an At-Large bid. Rice is in a similar boat to BYU with a good record (18-3) but no signature victories. They did have a 4-point loss to Texas A&M earlier in the season.

ZagDad
    Speed won out over height. Middle Tennessee State prevails over Rice (with 6'9" Nancy Mulkey) 68-65. MTS won the East Division of Conference USA and Rice winning the West Division of Conference USA.

As noted above, since Charlie Creme had Rice as the AQ with a 12th seed, MST's victory will likely not result in the loss of an At-Large Bid.

ZagDad

That sucks.

While I am sure there is a good reason for the rule, it stinks for Cal Baptist.

ZagDad
    Usually when a team transitions to D1, they aren't good enough for it to be an issue before they become a full fledged member. I really don't understand the rule. Just comes off looking stupid that a team that ran the table in the regular season doesn't get to play in the Big Dance.

Not only that, but because the WAC let them play in the conference tourney, not only does the team that won it not get the auto bid, the team that lost the championship game also doesn't get the auto bid. It went to Utah Valley, not Grand Canyon, who finished a game ahead of GCU in the regular season standings. Talk about making the entire conference tourney completely meaningless. The WAC is pretty much the garbage heap of D1, Cal Baptist should try to get in the Big West where they can play a bunch of other California schools and not have to travel to Texas, Illinois and New Mexico for conference foes.

Wrapping up the rest of the tournaments.

In the Big-12 final, Baylor started out with an 8 pt lead after one and then took WV out to the woodshed in the 4th quarter pulling away to a 76-50 victory. If Gonzaga gets the 5th seed, WV is currently shown as a 4th seed. They would be one of the 4 teams we could play in the 2nd round (assuming we win in round one).

In the ASUN final, Florida Gulf Coast started out strong and continued pulling away the entire game for a 84-62 victory over Liberty.

In A-10 final, #7 VCU took advantage of the home court and took down #5 UMass, 81-69.

I think the only games left to be completed include:

The Patriot League final, Lehigh is upsetting Boston University at halftime, 31-26.

The topsy-turvy Missouri Valley Conference is the last Wbb game of the day and features Drake and Bradley and starts at 2:00 PT.

ZagDad

Not a game, but UW has fired their coach today. I would be surprised if they didn't put out feelers to Coach Fortier, but I wouldn't really expect her to jump at that opportunity. I literally have no idea who they will go after.

Not a game, but UW has fired their coach today. I would be surprised if they didn't put out feelers to Coach Fortier, but I wouldn't really expect her to jump at that opportunity. I literally have no idea who they will go after.
    I know nothing but Fortier might end up a GU lifer. Seems like a good fit for coach and school.

I wish the UW nothing but the best in their coaching search. I think another Duke assistant would make a lot of sense from my biased standpoint.

;p

Quote Originally Posted by Coug Tracks View Post
    I know nothing but Fortier might end up a GU lifer. Seems like a good fit for coach and school.

I wish the UW nothing but the best in their coaching search. I think another Duke assistant would make a lot of sense from my biased standpoint.

;p
    Oh no you didn't!