Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Other WBB NCAA games

South Dakota St. w/ a major toe stub, bad loss to Omaha early in their conference tourney. SDSU is assumed to be safely in the field, so that burst somebody's bubble. Maybe South Dakota can seize the opportunity, they might have been in anyway.

Cal Baptist finishes the regular season undefeated. Didn't really play anybody, but if it was easy to run the table, more teams would do it. Ineligible for the NCAA Tourney, although I think they can play in the NIT.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    South Dakota St. w/ a major toe stub, bad loss to Omaha early in their conference tourney. SDSU is assumed to be safely in the field, so that burst somebody's bubble. Maybe South Dakota can seize the opportunity, they might have been in anyway.
    More than a toe stub. SDSU only scored 40 points including 16 points in the second half.

The team they lost too, 6-12 University of Omaha.

To be fair, SDSU was playing without their top 2 players who were out due to injury. However, if the players are not ready for the tournament and this is the team that SDSU is now, can you really award them an "at-large" bid? They certainly are not anywhere close to the Top 64 teams in the country without these players.

ZagDad

#25 Depaul goes down to Villanova in the Big East quarterfinals 78-72.

Depaul has been the #2 in the Big East all year (behind UConn) and the voting pollsters have kept them in the Top-25 most of the year.

However, Depaul has lost 4 out of their last 5, only beating 7-17 Providence. Their losses at the end of the conference season have relegated the Blue Demons to 4th in the Big East.

Does the Big East get 4 bids from the NCAA? Does today's loss, when combined with their late season losses, keep them from getting an at large bid? After watching today's Big East quarterfinals, other than UConn, I don't think GU or BYU would have any trouble with any of the other Big East teams. Seems really unfair if BYU gets left on the sidelines and Depaul at 14-8 gets an at large bid.

ZagDad

Caitlin Clark did it again. 35 points, come from behind win for Iowa over Nebraska. I don't think any player in the country is playing better down the stretch than Clark. I kinda think she's moved back ahead of Bueckers as the best Fr. this year.

Caitlin Clark did it again. 35 points, come from behind win for Iowa over Nebraska. I don't think any player in the country is playing better down the stretch than Clark. I kinda think she's moved back ahead of Bueckers as the best Fr. this year.
    Yet, Bueckers is the only freshman on the final 15 for the Wooden award list.

Must be nice to have that "UConn" on the front of the jersey.

ZagDad

Seton Hall another bubblicious Big East team that didn't do themselves any favors. Lost to Creighton just now in their conference tourney, a team w/ a losing record.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Yet, Bueckers is the only freshman on the final 15 for the Wooden award list.

Must be nice to have that "UConn" on the front of the jersey.

ZagDad
    I'm okay with her being on it, but Clark should as well. Even being a Pac 12 homer, I would definitely take Stanford's Jones and Arizona's McDonald off the list. It's all about name recognition, not actually how they've performed throughout the season.

I looked at Iowa's recent game logs. Clark has scored 30 or more in 7 of 9 games, and 50% shooting both overall and behind the arc in 6 of the 9. I don't think anyone has played consistently like this since Plum's Sr. season in '17. Been a while.

I'm okay with her being on it, but Clark should as well. Even being a Pac 12 homer, I would definitely take Stanford's Jones and Arizona's McDonald off the list. It's all about name recognition, not actually how they've performed throughout the season.
    I am also fine with Bueckers being on the list. I think she deserves to be on it. I agree with you that Clark should be as well as she has played very comparatively if not better than Bueckers. The difference is the UConn on the chest of Bueckers. If Bueckers played for Iowa, she would not be on the list either.

ZagDad

Big East Semi-Finals:
    - UConn demo'd Villanova 84-39
    - Marquette made it close with losing record Creighton finally prevailing 64-59. Creighton got it down to 1,-2, -3 etc. but could never get over the hump and maintain a lead.

Current Bracketology has 3 Big East teams in the tournament; UConn (#1 seed), Marquette (10th seed) and Depaul (11th seed). I would assume that Marquette has locked in their at-large bid with the win today. I would think that Depaul's position is very precarious, since they have no games left to improve their resume. I am not quite so sure why the NCAA committee seems enamored with the Big East. UConn's closest conference games were 10 points (Marquette in Game #2), 21 points, 24 points and 27 points. Other than Marquette, nobody seems to be in the same neighborhood as UConn, so why the conference would be awarded a third seed seems a bit out of line.

BYU is one of the first four teams left out. They probably need to win against USF to have any chance to get an at-large bid. They may need to win the WCC tournament to get the automatic qualifier to get into this year's tournament. That last game loss to USF may have been their undoing.

In other games:
    -#3 NC State took down #5 Louisville 58-56 possibly moving into a #1 seed and replacing Texas A&M on the #1 seed line relegating the Aggies to a #2 seed?
    - #7 South Carolina laid a big 3rd quarter on #13 Georgia and held on for 67-62 victory over the Bulldogs. Does this keep USC on the #1 seed line and Georgia on the #3 seed line?

Finally, Stanford has taken UCLA out to behind the woodshed and is laying the lumber to the Bruins 43-20 at half. Bruins making a minor run, now down 46-26 with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd. If Stanford wins they probably stay on the #1 seed line. If they lose, they may fall to the #2 seed line.

ZagDad

UCLA got within 12. Kudos to them for not packing it in facing a huge deficit at the half. Stanford pulling away again down the stretch. Onyenwere had a big game but didn't get enough help. Williams and Lexie Hull were a dynamic duo (50 combined points, 9 made 3's).

I think DePaul's NET is in the 70s. If not high 60s at best. Not sure why they are considered in.

I think DePaul's NET is in the 70s. If not high 60s at best. Not sure why they are considered in.
    Just for Reference here are the NET ratings & overall records for a few teams:

- Gonzaga - NET=16 - Record = 21-3
    - Marquette - NET=31 - Record = 18-5
    - WSU - NET=44 - Record = 12-11
    - BYU - NET=59 - Record = 17-4
    - Villanova - NET=67 - Record = 15-5
    - Depaul - NET=71 - Record = 14-8 (Lost 4 of last 5)

Tell me again why Depaul gets in over Villanova or BYU?? I must have misplaced my East Coast (that is Big East Coast) Bias chip.

I would strongly suggest that BYU win tomorrow if they want any chance of making this year's tournament. The only problem is that USF needs to win out to join the party.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 03-07-2021 at 08:55 PM.

While we have a few hours to wait for our WCC title game vs BYU, here are some Top-25 scores and some scores which may be of interest to Zag fans.

#1 UConn destroyed #2 (in the Big East) Marquette in the Big East Championship Game 73-39. Remind me again why Marquette deserves an at-large bid? Marquette is 19-6 has one win against a Top-25 team (Depaul) who they also lost to in conference play (1-1). They do have a decent NET rating of 30. Every other ranked team they have played they have gotten beat, usually quite badly. They certainly did not show well today.

#6 Baylor made their pitch for a #2 seed by dismantling #17 West Virginia 96-73.

Tomorrow, right before our game on ESPNU, South Dakota goes for the Summit league championship by playing
    7-12 Omaha.

ZagDad

South Dakota cruised against Omaha.

Wright St. punched their ticket, winning the Horizon Championship.

I happened to stream the New Mexico-Fresno St. semi final MWC game starting about midway thru Q3. Really entertaining game, back and forth the whole way. Fresno St. prevailed, they were the 4 seed taking out the 1 seed. In the other semifinal is Wyoming (7 seed) vs. Boise St. (6 seed). That tournament definitely did not go chalk.

Wyoming running Boise St. out of the gym in the other Mountain West semi. BSU isn't going to crack 40 points. Zags hammered Wyoming back at the beginning of the season.

Well Wyoming is going Dancing. #7 seed in the Mountain West tourney pulled it off.

Over in the Big Sky the championship will be an all-Idaho battle, ISU against UI.

#13 Michigan lost today to Northwestern. Zags should past Michigan in NCAA seedings, Michigan should take a big drop have not been playing good for awhile. Michigan is 14-5 for the year. Note Big Ten teams play no competition in non conference play, so most teams come into conference with great records. Then Michigan was shut down for 14 days for Covid during BIG 10 season.

Big-12 quarterfinals start today.

Game 1 #5 Texas vs #5 Iowa State tied at 69 going into overtime on ESPNU.

Texas has lost their big post Collier due to fouls.

ZagDad

Idaho St. routed Idaho to claim the auto bid from the Big Sky.

Cap Baptist won in the WAC semis today, one win away from a perfect season. No one can figure out why the WAC let them participate in the conference tourney, since they aren't eligible for the NCAA Tourney.

Maryland destroyed Northwestern to advance to the Big 10 championship. Awaiting the winner of Michigan St.-Iowa.

#2 Stony Brook takes down #1 Maine 64-60 to take their first trip ever to the NCAA tournament.

Congrats to the Sea Wolves.

ZagDad

In the early session of the Big-12 quarterfinals.

Texas needed overtime to beat Iowa State 84-82.

Baylor laid the wood to TCU, beating the Horned Frogs 92-55.

Texas will face Baylor in the semi-finals tomorrow morning.

In the evening session on right now West Virginia is playing Kansas State. A little later tonight Oklahoma will face Oklahoma State.

ZagDad

Caitlin Clark hasn't been shooting real well, but she's racking up assists. Iowa advanced to the Big 10 championship game. Their post Czinano has gone off in 2 of the games and in the other a wing Marshall was teeing it up from behind the 3 point line.

Weird situation in the Missouri Valley. In one semifinal, Missouri St. was supposed to play Bradley. Bradley either had some positive tests, or players that were exposed. Conference decreed game goes on. Missouri St. said no thanks, so they were forced to forfeit. Then the conference reseeded the tourney and has Bradley playing one of the teams form the other semi and Drake advancing to the championship.