Thread: It's Elemental - Play Ejim

Default It's Elemental - Play Ejim

Hey Coach, you saw her, you know how good she is and will get better. It's elemental give YE more PT!

Eye test says she is more proficient around the hoop than any of the starting five.... Melody is a scrapper but misses as many bunnies as she makes, Why? Because just like the Wirths she hurries to get her shot up instead of taking a good shot, watched it all season long. Ejim is a different breed of player she looks to make a good shot even in traffic and she is physical enough to get her shot off.

Will CLF backslide and forget what she just saw? If AV comes into the game before Ejim the answer is yes. AV should be the 4th big off the bench behind Melody, Ejim and Hollingsworth.

Ejim deserves 10 to 15 min per game and will be productive and an asset if given the chance. The Lady Zags need her, no not next year.... NOW!

I would like to think CLF gets it... the next game will tell...

The girls have a chance to do some serious damage in the NCAA tournament, looking forward to seeing them shock some folks...

Just my opinion,

Go!! Las Zagas!!!
    Last edited by bigblahla; 03-11-2021 at 08:01 AM.
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Thank you, and shame on me for not following the women as closely as you do...but when you use just initials to identify the players, I have no clue who you ate talking about.

A few more letters, please.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Thank you, and shame on me for not following the women as closely as you do...but when you use just initials to identify the players, I have no clue who you ate talking about.

A few more letters, please.
    CLF -Coach Lisa Fortier
    YE - Yvonne Ejim
    AV - Anamaria Virjoghe

Hope that helps...

Go!! Las Zagas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    CLF -Coach Lisa Fortier
    YE - Yvonne Ejim
    AV - Anamaria Virjoghe

Hope that helps...

Go!! Las Zagas!!!
    Thanks. I did open up a page with the women's roster and figured it out, but not actually knowing the team means that I have to do that every time. It makes it harder to follow them.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Thanks for the reminder Willandi that not every person reading this board is a frequent reader/poster. I will try and remember to define the abbreviations at least once in each of my responses.

Bigblahla, I don't think there will be too much disagreement with your premise Yvonne Ejim (YE) and Eliza Hollingsworth (EH) both have earned more playing time (PT). Both YE and EH have been more consistent on both sides of the ball in their limited minutes, than Anna Virjoghe (AV) has been when she has been on the court. The only area AV has been better than YE and EH is in blocks.

Just a little clarification. As you reminded us, we all remember the missed bunnies by JW, LW and MK and how easy it is to forget how many times they make those shots. YE had a great game on Saturday, but she still only shot 50%. Before you throw some of our starters under the bus, keep in mind that over the entire year, MK shoots 0.615%, JW shoots 0.543%, LW shoots 0.562%, EH shoots 0.667% and for reference AV shoots 0.366%. When looking at these numbers keep in mind that, generally speaking, only the Wirths and EH have taken a significant portion of their shots from the outside. MK, YE and AV shooting percentages are based almost entirely on lay-ups and short jumpers.

YE really did save the Lady Zags behind in Saturday's game, but we need to temper our enthusiasm with a more thorough examination of the game. Gonzaga primarily runs a high-low offense. This works because with Jenn Wirth (JW) and LeeAnn Wirth (LW) both ladies can play the low block and the high block, forcing the opposition to take a big out of the key to play the Wirth on the High Post. When Melody Kempton (MK), AV, or even YE come in and play the high post the opposition does not even cover the high post because they know these ladies are not (proven) effective at the elbow jumper from the free throw line.

YE was exceptionally effective, on Saturday, primarily for two reasons; A BYU injury and a change in position by CLF. When BYU is healthy, Sara Hamson plays the low post and Gustin plays the high post no matter who the Zags are playing. When Hamson got hurt Coach Judkins elected to have Teagan Graham play one of our posts. Judkins put Gustin, his best defensive player, on the Zags best offensive post (JW) leaving Graham to cover the other Zag post. Gustin did a great job on JW, rendering Wirth essentially ineffective on the offensive side of the ball. Remember that YE was not very effective until Coach Lisa Fortier (CLF) moved JW to the high post and YE to low post. Once YE got to the low post, Graham was not strong enough or athletic enough to stay with YE under the basket. Had Hamson be able to play under the hoop or had Judkins had Gustin play the low post and Graham play the high post, YE would not have been as near as effective as she was.

The Gonzaga High-Low offense is effective because JW and LW have offensive games that range from under the hoop to the 3-point line. MK, AV and even YE have not shown the ability to consistently hit the high post shot. Hollingsworth on the other hand, has shown the ability to hit the high post shot as well as the shot on the low block. The high post also has to show they can get the ball into the low post. YE and EH have not played enough minutes at the high post to show their ability pass the ball to the low post. MK certainly can make the pass but she turns the ball over way too much.

Basketball is a game about match-ups. Saturday, CLF (by skill, luck or necessity) found that Teagan Graham could not match up with YE and exploited it extensively in the 4th quarter. Had she been willing to make similar personnel changes in the BYU game in Provo, maybe the final outcome of the game would have been different. Will she remember what she has learned in the tournament? Probably, but most likely not as much as we fans would like to see.

ZagDad

bigblahla: "AV should be the 4th big off the bench behind Melody, Ejim and Hollingsworth."

Totally agree with you have been making this same point since early January on Yvonne and Eliza since mid February.

Yvonne brings a different dimension to the Lady Zags she can steal a ball on the other end and dribble it herself all the way to the other end for a layup. We have seen this multiple times in previous games.
    She also has a quick one dribble underneath the basket to avoid travel calls and has more mobility for shots under the basket. In this last game we saw a new dimension form Yvonne a nice jump shot.
    Yes she can rebound had 9 boards last game.

Let me first of all say Eliza looks taller than 6'2" perhaps she has grown since we recruited her. Eliza also has nice moves under the basket, along with a very good 3 point shot, and looks like she will be a good rebounder.

Yes Yvonne and Eliza are both much more talented than Anamarie.

Plus you want Lady Zags to win right? Ejim and Hollingsworth both provide offensive sparks off the bench. Oh and apparently both players held up on defense against BYU right?

Never saw Zags so blessed with so many bigs in one year, but it only works if you take advantage of it.

Yes again agree with you if we do take advantage of our depth big talent it could be a deep run.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 03-11-2021 at 10:47 AM.

The bottom line is that Ejim needs to play more.

It would be great to see Ejim getting 10 minutes, and Hollingsworth 3-5 minutes in these NCAA games.

Would be negligent not to say watch your diet on the road Lady Zags lessons learned. Questions: Healthline lists 9 leading causes of food poisoning. Keep your guard up against Covid.

We need a healthy Jill and Cierra to go along with Kayleigh and Kaylynne in these NCAA games. Ball handlers must be all a board.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 03-11-2021 at 01:44 PM.

I agree that Ejim needs more time but where do you think those minutes should come from? JW and LW? Probably not

Should they come from MK? Although she had a rough WCC tournament, she just won WCC 6th women award and has played pretty good this year.

Anamarie does not play that many minutes. In fact most of her minutes are usually in the 1st half right before half time. There are plenty of games she has not played in. The NCAA opponents may bring some size to them that we don't see in the WCC.

There are only so many minutes and I don't think CLF is going to change the rotation much going into the NCAA. Not sure you can find that many minutes available to play Egim and Eliza much. Next year will be a different story with the Wirths graduating.

Quote Originally Posted by zag on the run View Post
    I agree that Ejim needs more time but where do you think those minutes should come from? JW and LW? Probably not

Should they come from MK? Although she had a rough WCC tournament, she just won WCC 6th women award and has played pretty good this year.

Anamarie does not play that many minutes. In fact most of her minutes are usually in the 1st half right before half time. There are plenty of games she has not played in. The NCAA opponents may bring some size to them that we don't see in the WCC.

There are only so many minutes and I don't think CLF is going to change the rotation much going into the NCAA. Not sure you can find that many minutes available to play Egim and Eliza much. Next year will be a different story with the Wirths graduating.
    YE averages 6.7 min. in the games she plays in.

AV averages 8.6 min in the games she plays in. - this could be less

JW averages 25.6 min in the games she plays in - take a minute and a half

LW averages 22.6 min in the games she plays in - take a minute

MK averages 18,2 min in the games she plays in - don't take anything....

There is at least 10 min a game for Ejim without much issue at all, it's just a matter of letting her play.

Just my opinion

Go!! Las Zagas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zag on the run View Post

ZOTR, I just hate it when someone comes in with the voice of reason. We have a total of 3 loses all year, by 7 points, 5 points and in overtime, seems a little crazy to expect Coach Lisa Fortier (CLF) to be making major changes at this time of year.

I also agree that in most cases, any minutes that come to Yvonne Ejim (YE) or Eliza Hollingsworth (EH) will not likely come at the expense of the Wirths. However, consider thinking outside the box to look for other places to get some minutes. For example,

- In the 2nd BYU game where LeeAnn Wirth (LW), Jill Townsend (JT), Melody Kempton (MK) and Abbey O'Conner (AOC) were shooting like 17% overall for the game. Everybody cannot be "On" the entire game or in every game. Why did Coach Lisa Fortier (CLF) not take advantage of her deep bench and see if the second string would be more effective than the starters. Could not possible hurt the GU offense anymore than the starting 6 were doing. Once the tournament hits, its one and done. CLF does not have the luxury of playing people who are not producing. She owes it to the team to put the best performing team on the floor whether that is the starters or some of the bench players. The BYU game at Provo cannot be allowed to happen again this year.

- YE is very quick and CLF says she can guard any position on the floor. How about considering playing YE at wing on occasion. You definitely would lose some long range shooting ability, but you pick up some size (over Townsend) and a lot of athletic ability over AOC. EH is also every bit as quick as AOC and probably shoots the 3 as well as AOC she could probably put some time at wing as well. Maybe have JT play the shooting guard, and YE the wing and keep the Wirths in the middle. I would have loved to see YE guarding Paisley Harding of BYU. I'll bet Harding would have been much less a factor in the BYU games if YE was guarding her. Maybe some minutes for YE and EH could be picked up at wing.

- Basketball is a game of match-ups. The team who does the best with the match-ups is usually the winning team. In the WCC, with the possible exception of BYU, Gonzaga Wbb starters are usually the better of the match-ups, so CLF does not have move around her line-up very much to have her normal players on the court be the better players. As the Zags (hopefully) go deeper into the NCAA, the Zags will not necessarily have the best players, top to bottom, on the court at any one time. It is when your starters are not the better matchup, that CLF needs to go to her bench to improve the matchup. Will she, based on past experience, not very likely. She needs to be open to whatever game plan gives the Zags the best chance to win.

The first round game in the NCAA, CLF will likely we able to stay with her normal rotation (hopefully giving a few more minutes to YE and EH). However, if the Lady Zags perform well enough and they get to NCAA game #2, it is here and forward where CLF may need to juggle her line-up to compete with the likes of Tennessee or West Virginia.

ZagDad

Duke has shut down MBB for the year. Virginia and Kansas have had positive tests in their MBB programs and have withdrawn from their conference tournaments.

New Covid variant has now been found in Spokane County. Covid is starting to create havoc again in mens basketball prior to NCAA tournament.

Have not heard anything yet on WBB side, lets hope that continues.

According to NCAA teams are required to have seven consecutive days of negative tests results in order to play in Indianapolis and San Antonio. The seven-test protocol also includes people in the school's 34-person travel party. Programs can elect to travel in smaller groups if some members of the school's party are ruled out due to positive tests or contact tracing.

Once players on the team and the school's travel party have been cleared, members of the travel party will be tested again, put in quarantine until producing a negative result and will take daily PCR tests for the duration of the tournament.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 03-12-2021 at 06:46 PM.

Time for the dance...

Each year you have a freshman that adapts to D-1 ball well enough to earn minutes in games and contribute. They will usually become a big part of the future. Yvonne Ejim is there... and thankfully made an impact in the WCC championship game.

While GU WBB’s MO hasn’t changed and probably won’t in the future... as we saw in JT, that’s why. Hard to give into the talent that is coming the teams way... but experience is hard to beat. Add the two and you have championship teams.

A couple of players to follow at the dance.... we are in Texas. K-11 and K-14 will be at home “ya all”
    And I want to see them have some fun and play their hearts out.

Good to hear the team is getting their health back and in a couple of days, we will get to see who they get to take on first...

I’m looking forward to this years tournament. This team feels they have something to prove.

Go Zags!! “Just Win Baby”