Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What seed will the Zags get?

Default What seed will the Zags get?

I have no idea. Is a 5 a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    I have no idea. Is a 5 a possibility?
    5th as a minimum with a very remote possibility of a 4th seed. I don't think there is any chance of dropping to a 6th seed.

ZagDad

Reveal is Monday, right?

Reveal is Monday, right?
    Yes. SciFi Network.
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Yes. SciFi Network.
    I think it really is Monday, no?
    Looks like espn has a Women’s Selection Show listed at 4 tomorrow.

I think it really is Monday, no?
    Looks like espn has a Women’s Selection Show listed at 4 tomorrow.
    Yes, you are correct.

Lots of local interest on both the Men's and Women's selection side.

On Men's side, Gonzaga and EWU

On Women's side, Gonzaga and WSU

ZagDad

My bad everyone.

Didn't see we were on the ladies forum.

But we don't play nobody.

Gotta be a 5 seed. I really don’t see a path to a 4 unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the last bracket by ESPN's bracketologist, Charlie Creme:

The final eight automatic bids to the women's NCAA tournament were won Sunday, and though there were a few minor changes on the final day of Bracketology, nothing substantially impacted the field. West Virginia, which lost to Baylor in the Big 12 title game, remains on the No. 4 seed line but fell to No. 16 overall behind Kentucky and Arkansas, which also remained No. 4 seeds. A final assessment of Wake Forest put the Demon Deacons ahead of DePaul for the Last Four In. Both remain in the field, and their placement in the bracket was also unchanged. Bradley (MVC) and Lehigh (Patriot) moved into the field, which includes eight ACC teams and seven apiece from the SEC and Big Ten. North Carolina (No. 9 seed to a No. 10) and Michigan State (No. 10 to a No. 9) were adjusted one seed line to accommodate bracketing principles and procedures.
    Link to the full bracket: https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...l-shapes-sizes

ZagDad

BYU women lose the 3 game season series to predicted 5 seed Zags by a total of one possession and they're OUT OF THE TOURNAMENT?? Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but it may be time for the Mormons to file a class action, first amendment discrimination lawsuit against the selection committee. Or how about one citing sheer incompetence? The decision, at the very least, does not, in the interest of fairness, provide the selectors with "good optics."

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    BYU women lose the 3 game season series to predicted 5 seed Zags by a total of one possession and they're OUT OF THE TOURNAMENT?? Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but it may be time for the Mormons to file a class action, first amendment discrimination lawsuit against the selection committee. Or how about one citing sheer incompetence? The decision, at the very least, does not, in the interest of fairness, provide the selectors with "good optics."
    The plight of a mid-major. Happens every year unfortunately. In this year of Covid, most of the mid-majors did not get a chance to load up their out of conference schedules with P-5 teams to show that they were capable of playing with (or beating) the large conference teams leaving the committee with little basis of comparison. The Lady Zags lost games with Stanford, Arizona, Arkansas and Oklahoma and were only able to replace them with game against South Carolina, South Dakota State and South Dakota. The Zag out of conference schedule we played does not measure up very well with the schedule Gonzaga had planned. In addition, in the games the Zags lost were 7 points to the #1 team in the country (at that time), in OT at South Dakota State (who was ranked much of the year) and by 5 to BYU in Provo. No double digit losses, all very competitive games.

Unfortunately for BYU, while they certainly had a very good season and played the Lady Zags tough, they had a 30 point loss to a bad University of Washington team in the beginning of the year and ended their regular season with a 14 point loss to San Francisco. Two double digit loses to very mediocre to poor teams is not very compelling. Until the USF loss, the bracketologists had them in the 64 team field.

BYU certainly is one of the best 64 teams in the country, unfortunately, it is not very likely they will get a chance to show it on a national stage. Not fair at all, but this has been the plight of the mid-major for many years. The committee would rather take a 7th or 8th place P-5 team, than a 2nd place mid-major team. Very few mid-major conferences get two or more bids, and the ones that do usually get the 2nd bid because the conference champion lost in the conference tournament.

ZagDad

So, the BYUties, in their 3 games vs USF, outscore them by 40 POINTS, but the game they lose, at USF, is the one the COMMITTEE decides should eliminate them from post season? Winning nine of their last eleven games counts for nothing? A thousand to one, less than a second left, miracle shot separating them from the WCC tournament title counts for nothing? Okey dokey, but by that reasoning, the Zags deserve no better than an 11 seed. Who have the Zags beaten? Really? USD barely (SoDak not San Diego). Sorry. We have a failure to compute.

Who have the Zag’s beaten?...

Interesting.... there’s a little bit more to it than that. From the team that started to the team that finished... have come a long ways in getting a complete team.

Yes, I agree that BYU should be in the dance...

I look at GU WBB landing a 5 seed. Which is in the middle of the 4-6 seedlings that they have been playing with the last half of the season. I don’t think it matters if it’s 4 5 or 6 at this point. It’s all about winning. And being in the same town for all the games it’s more important to control what you can.

Time to Dance...

Go Zags!! “Just Win Baby”

Would like to remind everyone Lady Zags were 14th in AP polls and 13th in coach polls then they won their last 2 games.

5 seed vs #12 Belmont

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

BYU gets in as an 11th Seed.

Plays #6 Rutgers in the same bracket as the Zags.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    BYU gets in as an 11th Seed.

Plays #6 Rutgers in the same bracket as the Zags.

ZagDad
    All that anger about them getting left out turned out to be much ado about nothing!

Zags 2nd round opponent like Indiana. Good team, but certainly beatable.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    5 seed vs #12 Belmont
    Assuming chalk holds, the Lady Zags would play #4 Indiana in the 2nd round.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    All that anger about them getting left out turned out to be much ado about nothing!
    Let's see who got left out, to let BYU in.

Maybe Depaul?

ZagDad

Also Washington St. in, the #8/#9 game.

No Mississippi St. No DePaul. The ACC had a really down year other than NC State and Louisville, but still got a bunch of teams in (no Notre Dame though). I haven't done the math yet but I think the ACC actually got more in than the SEC.

The four replacement teams, teams that would replace one of the 64 if a team can't make covid testing protocols include; Depaul, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Houston.

So Seacatfan, you have no worries about Mississippi State sneaking in at the last minute.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Here is ESPNW's Brackotologist's discussion on the BYU issue:

Women's basketball tournament 2021 bracket: Why NC State (not Texas A&M) is a No. 1 seed
    Charlie Creme
    ESPN.com

BYU Gets Last At-Large Spot

As competitive as the top of the bracket was, the bottom may have been even harder to figure out. However, it was for very different reasons. The teams at the end of the committee's list for tournament inclusion were extremely flawed. There were plenty of reasons to leave any of them out, and it's difficult to build a strong case for any bubble team's inclusion.

While acknowledging that, the Cougars getting in was a bit of surprise. BYU played only three games against NET top-50 teams all season -- all against Gonzaga, in which the Cougars went 1-2. Their strength of schedule was rated 140.

The committee did like BYU's 18 wins despite the schedule it came against and the fact the Cougars played Gonzaga to one-point thriller in the WCC championship game before losing at the buzzer. Making that game a positive is where I differ from the committee and why I had BYU out. The final score of that game was 43-42. The Cougars led by 13 in the third quarter and let it slip away. Most importantly, it was a depleted Zags team they were playing against. Six Gonzaga players were stricken with a stomach flu. Some couldn't play. Some played limited, weary minutes. BYU should have won that game going away.

The question then: Who should have replaced the Cougars? The reality is the other candidates were not slam dunks, either. The First Four Out were Houston, DePaul, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma. The Irish and Sooners had a much better collection of wins, but were 10-10 and 12-12, respectively. DePaul had 14 wins, but really struggled at the end of the season. Houston put up 16 wins against the No. 97-rated schedule. Houston or Notre Dame might have been better choices.

Even Mississippi State, my first team out, but not on the committee's list at all, might have been a better choice. The choices still weren't good ones, so it's hard to quibble too much with the selection of BYU, this year's benefactors of a watered-down bubble.
    We have this discussion on the board every year how good teams from mid-major conferences get the shaft in favor mid-pack teams from the P-5 conferences. I know that the selection committee wants to put the 'Best (??)" 64 teams on the court for the tournament. I have three simple rules which, if implemented, would open up some more spots for mid-major teams at the expense of some mid- or bottom half of the pack P-5 teams.

1. You have to have a winning record overall to be eligible for the NCAA tournament unless you win the conference tournament.
    2. You have to have a winning record in conference to be eligible for the NCAA tournament unless you win the conference tournament. (This may already be a rule but waived for this year).
    3. You have to finish in the top 5 within your conference (top 6 if your conference has more than 15 teams) to be eligible for the NCAA tourney unless you win your conference tournament.

IMO, if you can't finish the season with winning records overall and in your conference, you have had an entire season to show your qualifications for the tournament and you failed to meet the minimum standards. Similarly, if you can't finish in the top 1/3 to 1/2 in your own conference, you have had an entire conference season to prove your quality, and if you don't finish within the top 5, you have failed to meet minimum standards. It is about the body of work, and if you can't meet this minimum standards, then you can watch the tournament.

Another reason is the tournament money. The P-5 conferences earn most of their money from their D-1 football programs. Mid-majors earn the most of their money from the NCAA Mbb tournament. By opening the tournament up to more mid-majors, some of that money going to P-5 conferences would go to mid-majors where it is needed. The rich to not need to continue to get richer IMO.

Unfortunately, it will likely never happen, because the P-5 schools bring in many more viewers and typically travel better (fans) than most mid-major teams NCAA so it is not in the interest in the NCAA to open the tournament up to more mid-major teams.

You can read Charlie Creme's thoughts on all things on this year's bracket here: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...exas-no-1-seed

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 03-15-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Every Coach and Every AD knows what the NCAA committee is looking for when selecting teams for the tournament. You know items such as Wins against the Top-50, a team's NET rating, Strength of Schedule and so on.

Nobody knows the quality of your opponents from year to year but how you schedule will definitely affect your NET and Strength of Schedule. Schedule weakly, and you really don't have room to complain if you don't get selected for the tournament.

ZagDad