Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Other WBB NCAA games

Yep, Beavs get another big road win over a ranked team. 88-77 over Oregon. Hard to believe they lost by 20 in Corvallis way back in November when these two met previously. Teams are going opposite directions currently.

DePaul on upset alert, trailing by 5 thru Q3 against an absolutely terrible Butler team (2-16 record, 2-15 in conference).

Down goes DePaul 86-81. Worst loss by a ranked team all year?

Baylor and Texas doing a really big disservice to women's basketball.

10-9 Baylor after the 1st quarter. 19-14 with 3-1/2 to go in the 2nd quarter.

I have not seen so many bricks since my last visit to a construction site.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Down goes DePaul 86-81. Worst loss by a ranked team all year?
    When you are a 3-point shooting team and your starters go 4-25 from long range (thankfully the bench went 6-12 from long range), it is going to be difficult to win. Depaul put up 37 shots from 3 today, 81 shots in all.

They certainly play with pace.

ZagDad

UConn jumped out to an 11 point lead in Q1 against Marquette, then played even for 3 quarters for a 10 point win. All everything Paige Bueckers might've had her worst game of the season. 6-17 shooting, 1 assist, 4 turnovers. She is human.

Cal made Oregon St. work for it in the first game of the Pac 12 tourney. 71-63. von Oelhoffen from Tri Cities w/ a career high 20 to pace them.

Caitlin Clark doing it again. 19 first half points, Iowa leading #10 Indiana 43-38 at the half. Her shooting % has been steadily improving down the stretch and she's actually making it an interesting question who is the best Fr. in the country this year. Bueckers has stumbled a bit lately.

Caitlin Clark doing it again. 19 first half points, Iowa leading #10 Indiana 43-38 at the half. Her shooting % has been steadily improving down the stretch and she's actually making it an interesting question who is the best Fr. in the country this year. Bueckers has stumbled a bit lately.
    I don't know if Caitlin Clark actually has a range (maybe half court??). She has a higher scoring average than Bueckers. She also has the advantage that she is the main scorer for Iowa, so she gets the shots. Bueckers may be the best player on UConn's team but she is far from the only option on UConn. What I like about Bueckers is her all around game. She is the only UConn player in history to have three straight 30 point games. A couple of games ago she set the all time assist record for a game with 14 assists. Nothing to say of her rebounding ability and the number of steals she acquires. That is saying something when you think of some of the all time greats that have played at UConn (Bird, Taurasi, Stewart, Lobo, etc.). Pretty good company.

I would say Bueckers is the best all-around freshman and Clark is the best scoring freshman.

Stay tuned, tournaments are starting today and Iowa may need some help to make the NCAA tournament.

ZagDad

Iowa had a 5 point lead at half but #10 Indiana came out screaming in the 3rd quarter. Indiana puts up 51 points in the 2nd half to hold off Iowa 89 - 80 despite 32 points, 2 rebounds and 5 assists for Iowa's Caitlin Clark.

USC is putting a hurt'n on Arizona State. 65-50 with 5 minutes to go in the 4th.

ZagDad

Indiana wins by 9.

Arizona St. made it close but USC held on. Pac 12 tourney is often wacky. USC had been TERRIBLE the last several weeks, but they managed to right the ship at least for one day.

Clark's rebound and assist numbers compare favorably w/ Buecker's, so the all around thing isn't really in Paige's favor. What she had going for her is a much better A/TO ratio and much better shooting numbers, so she's more efficient. But Caitlin's shooting is improving while Paige is finally coming back to earth, so the difference isn't as pronounced now. They of course play different roles for their teams, and UConn is much better than Iowa. I honestly don't know who to call it in terms of who is better.

I'm pretty sure Clark has set a record for most 30 point games by a Freshman ever. I think Kelsey Mitchell from Ohio St. held the record previously. She's done it probably about 10 times now. She may have matched Buecker's 3 in a row as well.

Washington St. in an ugly game, leading Utah 27-23 at the half.

Cougs w/ a craptastic 57-48 win over Utah. The Charlisse hype before and during the game (up until the point I couldn't watch any more of it) was totally out of control. She was 3-16 today. She was shooting .377 before this game and now it's gonna be a fair bit lower. She scores plenty of points, but she's very inefficient.

Cougs w/ a craptastic 57-48 win over Utah.
    A very good description of the Utah vs Coug game.

The announcers were accurate when they said if someone told Utah they would hold WSU to 55 points they would have thought they would have been ahead.

For the most part, at least tonight, when the Cougs went inside the ball just went up, most times no where near the hoop, just trying to get the foul call. Lots of air balls from both sides.

Very ugly looking game. The best news was the result, A WSU win in the Pac-12 tournament, for the first time since 2017 (If I heard the announcers correctly).

WSU better hope they got that level of play out of their system. Next up is Arizona.

ZagDad

Wow,

Huskies found their offense and upset Colorado 68-54.

Pretty ugly game with lots of turnovers on both sides. Both teams kept throwing the ball to the other team.

Colorado would work it inside for a layup and cut the lead down to 6-8 points and then UW would hit a couple of threes and extend the lead back out to double digits.

Both Washington teams into the second round tomorrow in the Pac-12 tournament.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Wow,

Huskies found their offense and upset Colorado 68-54.

Pretty ugly game with lots of turnovers on both sides. Both teams kept throwing the ball to the other team.

Colorado would work it inside for a layup and cut the lead down to 6-8 points and then UW would hit a couple of threes and extend the lead back out to double digits.

Both Washington teams into the second round tomorrow in the Pac-12 tournament.

ZagDad
    I started out watching this game. UW had as many TOs as FGA in Q1, that is just insane. Started out Q2 the same way so I had to quit watching. They must've turned it around as soon as I signed out. Well good for them. It's been an extremely trying 4 years under Wynn, but they occasionally have a performance like this and actually play like a decent team.

You never know what's going to happen at the Pac 12 tourney. Is the WCC tourney often unpredictable (I know Portland's run to the title last year certainly wasn't expected)?

I started out watching this game. UW had as many TOs as FGA in Q1, that is just insane. Started out Q2 the same way so I had to quit watching. They must've turned it around as soon as I signed out. Well good for them. It's been an extremely trying 4 years under Wynn, but they occasionally have a performance like this and actually play like a decent team.

You never know what's going to happen at the Pac 12 tourney. Is the WCC tourney often unpredictable (I know Portland's run to the title last year certainly wasn't expected)?
    I was like you and watched a little more than the first quarter and switched channels. I flipped back and saw the Huskies up 8 at half ???. Buffs came out in the second half and immediately went on a 6-0 run to get within 2. For the next quarter and a half it was a series of little runs with the Huskies taking it out to low double digits and the Buffs getting it down to 4-6 points and the process kept repeating. In between all of the little runs, both teams kept throwing the ball to one another.

At the end of the game, the Huskies started hitting some 3s and forced Colorado to start shooting 3s. The Huskies made most of their 3s and the Buffs missed most of theirs. Game Over.

I won't guarantee the following information as I already found a couple of errors in the Wikipedia listing, but here are the winners and runner-ups with their final conference finishing position in the ()'s. Remember that the conference added BYU in 2012, and Pacific in the 2012/2014 season.

Tourn. Conf Conf.
    Year Winner (Stding) Loser (Stding)
    2008 USD (#3) Zags (#1)
    2009 Zag (#1) USD (#5)
    2010 Zag (#1) Pep (#3)
    2011 Zag (#1) SMC (#2)
    2012 BYU (#2) Zag (#1)
    2013 Zag (#!) USD (#2)
    2014 Zag (#1) BYU (#2)
    2015 BYU (#5) USF (#6)
    2016 USF (#6) BYU (#1)
    2017 Zag (#1) SMC (#3)
    2018 Zag (#1) USD (#6)
    2019 BYU (#2) Zag (#1)
    2020 Port (#4) USD (#2)

Generally #1 or #2 seeds win the WCC tournament. Zags have only made the championship game when they are the #1 seed. Since the formation of the WCC tournament in its more recent form (1992) Gonzaga has won it 8 times (first in 2007), USF 4 times, BYU 3 times (but they have only been playing in it since 2013), USD, Pepperdine and SCU have also won it 3 times. Only Pacific has yet to win a modern version of the WCC Tournament.

Since her first year as head coach of the Lady Zags, CLF has won the WCC conference championship 6 out of the 7 years. However she has only won the WCC tournament twice out of the previous 5 times she has won the conference championships. Hopefully she can even it up by winning this year's WCC tournament.

ZagDad

Thanks for putting that together ZagDad. So clearly 2015 was the "what happened?" year in the WCC tourney.

Wife and I are headed to Vegas after the LMU game. Going to the UCLA NCAA tournament game at 8 PM tonight. My wife's nephew is on the UCLA WBB coaching staff. They're only allowing family of the players and staff into the venue, so looking forward to that.

Good news my daughter Chelsey is playing today in the WCC first round! She's all fired up, so here's looking forward to her possibly having a break out performance....like I've seen her do before! Hopefully we make it at least a couple of games into the WCC tourney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck Keith.

Wishing Chelsey and the rest of LMU the best today.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    Good luck Keith.

Wishing Chelsey and the rest of LMU the best today.

ZagDad
    Same here, will make the game more competitive!

Oregon St. takes out Oregon for the second time in a few days. Q1 was absolutely horrid, worst combined shooting I've ever seen. But then both teams warmed up. Beavs went nuts w/ 31 in Q3 (most ever in a quarter in Pac 12 tourney history), Ducks had a valiant comeback attempt but came up short. Talia von Oelhoffen is a stud. Should be in high school still, has been w/ the team less than 2 months, been ballin' in Vegas (39 points in 2 games).

Good so far CG3, 41-35 at the half for your Lions.

Big Q3, LMU running away with it, now up 17.