• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

It's Game Day: Gonzaga vs Portland

Good morning Zag fans. It's Game Day. The best day of the week. We're playing Portland today, and it's going to be a great game. Not great in the sense of a close game, but great in the sense of being able to watch the Zags play. Great in the sense that the Zags have such great players this year, and I really love watching each of them. I have such a deep appreciation for the game of basketball, as I played it for so much of my life growing up. I have always loved this game. And because I know the game pretty well, I just love how these Zags play the game. As I look at each and everyone of those first seven players, I have to admit that I really, really enjoy watching how they play the game. The way they play this game is so beautiful.

Mostly I love the way they pass. I know you've seen me write about it a lot. But the passing is just a thing of beauty. And of course I love how they move the ball up course as fast as a race car in the Indy 500. But the passing also includes the unselfishness of this team, and how they are always looking to pass the ball to a player who has an easier shot then they do. It's called unselfish play. And also the love they have for each other. This team has done it better than any who have gone before them.

Well, because the game of basketball is all about puting the basketball in the basket, I have to admit that I love the way these Zags do that. These guys score more points than any Zag team who has played before them. Corey Kispert is truly an artist when it comes to making baskets. He has one of the most beautiful shots of any Zag player ever. My admiration for Corey grows stronger every single week. He can absolutely nail that 3 pointer, and in the offseason he's learned the art of putting the ball in the hoop in many different ways. Adam Morrisey has always been my favorite Zag shooting artist, and then Dan Dickau. But honestly, Kispert is beginning to pass them up. And that says a lot.

And then we have Jalen Suggs, the new kid in town. And he has given us all so much pleasure this year. He can do things with the ball that no other Zag guard has ever done, and there has been a lot of great guards who have played at Gonzaga, and could also distribute the rock in wonderful ways. Blake Stepp comes to mind. But even Blake could not do it as well, and as beautiful as Suggs can. I always wondered what a top recruit would look like if Gonzaga ever got one. And now I know. Jalen showed us what they play like.

And I need to say that Joel Ayayi just blows my mind, and the minds of most of us Zag fans, and even fans around the country who watch him. He has his own style that's for sure. But he does whatever is needed to get the job done. In baseball they call it a utility player. I'm not sure basketball has a name for it. Mike Hart always comes to mind when discussing this kind of player, but even Hart can not do what Ayayi does, because Joel is also a really goodts shooter from the 3 point line. It just seems like when the Zags need one of those, he bangs one in. And like Suggs he's mostly a distributer, but he also knows how to run around the court and find an open space to receive the ball and put it into the basketball. And in this sense he reminds me of a top wide receiver in football. He just knows how to get open. And I believe he's the leading rebounder on the team. Yes. The guy who gets the most rebounds, and he's a guard.

I'd like to write more about guys like Timme and Nembhard because they too are just so fun to watch. They do amazing things with the ball, but I think I've worn you out with all I've already written so I'll write more about them another time. I'm really excited to watch all of their talents on display tonight.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • zag67
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

First Reborn GREAT post. I have followed basketball back to the Burgess times, and I agree this is a group of players that has been fun to watch. I also have to say that the coaches and administration have been doing their part to ensure that we get to see them as much as possible and against good opponents.

The offensive team work has been watching poetry in motion. The amount of passes that come out of nowhere and get to another player for laying or three point shots has been amazing. Corey.s shooting would not be as good if his teammates did not find him and get the pass to him at the right time and in his hands for shooting. This year only proves to me that getting the ball to the right person and in their hands for shooting improves the shooting percentage. Also watching them all work hard to recognize who has the best shot versus just a good shot has been fantastic to watch.

The team defense has also been enjoyable to watch. For the first seven or eight players on the court, the way they all seem to be able to switch and protect against giving easy open shots is also unbelievable. In most years a team is really good at offense and adequate on defense, but this team is both and therefore I enjoy watching even the blowout games.

I guess that I want to thank the coaches for their recruiting of team players that are coach able and want to improve. Also the players that come seem to buy into team first.

Comment

• SorenTodd45
      Banned
      • Jan 2019

I just realized something. If the Zags were a mediocre team, then my focus today would most likely be on the NFL playoff games. But that's not the case; the Zags are a championship contender. So my focus is on only one game today, the game at the Chiles Center. I could just as easily flip my TV to CBS, etc; but I take the time and effort to stream an out of market game. Now that's what I call dedication.

Comment

• Reborn
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by zag67 View Post
        First Reborn GREAT post. I have followed basketball back to the Burgess times, and I agree this is a group of players that has been fun to watch. I also have to say that the coaches and administration have been doing their part to ensure that we get to see them as much as possible and against good opponents.

The offensive team work has been watching poetry in motion. The amount of passes that come out of nowhere and get to another player for laying or three point shots has been amazing. Corey.s shooting would not be as good if his teammates did not find him and get the pass to him at the right time and in his hands for shooting. This year only proves to me that getting the ball to the right person and in their hands for shooting improves the shooting percentage. Also watching them all work hard to recognize who has the best shot versus just a good shot has been fantastic to watch.

The team defense has also been enjoyable to watch. For the first seven or eight players on the court, the way they all seem to be able to switch and protect against giving easy open shots is also unbelievable. In most years a team is really good at offense and adequate on defense, but this team is both and therefore I enjoy watching even the blowout games.

I guess that I want to thank the coaches for their recruiting of team players that are coach able and want to improve. Also the players that come seem to buy into team first.
        Thanks for this really good post. You are so right when you talk about the need for a shooter to receive the pass in the exact place so the shooter can get off a shot that will go in. As a player, I know how true this is. And the higher up you go in competition, the greater is the need to deliver the pass in the exact right place. Even if a pass is slightly off the target needed to receive it, the shot probably won't go in. I imagine that many fans are not aware of all this, so it's good to talk about it. Passing is soo important. Probably as important as not more important then making the basket. Poor pass = a missed shot.

Go Zags!
        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Zagdawg
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Gonzaga Guru
          @GonzagaGuru
          ·
          1h
          #1 Gonzaga plays Portland in Portland, Oregon on Jan. 9. The game will streamed on Root Sports and KAYU at 5:00 pm pacific time.

#gozags #zagup #ZagNation
          @ROOTSPORTS_NW

Comment

• RenoZag
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Zags will be rocking black uniforms tonight.

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• ZionZag
              Kennel Club
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
              Gonzaga Guru
              @GonzagaGuru
              ·
              1h
              #1 Gonzaga plays Portland in Portland, Oregon on Jan. 9. The game will streamed on Root Sports and KAYU at 5:00 pm pacific time.

#gozags #zagup #ZagNation
              @ROOTSPORTS_NW
              And AT&T Sports Net (Denver) covering the Rocky Mt states.....All of WY, CO, UT, NV, Some of eastern CA, southeast ID, western NE and most of NM...6:00 pm (MT). Mo and Huddy on Tune in Radio (on line) KGA or Tune in App, starting one hr. before game time

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
                I just realized something. If the Zags were a mediocre team, then my focus today would most likely be on the NFL playoff games. But that's not the case; the Zags are a championship contender. So my focus is on only one game today, the game at the Chiles Center. I could just as easily flip my TV to CBS, etc; but I take the time and effort to stream an out of market game. Now that's what I call dedication.
                With you on this. Zags are must see tv regardless of opponent this season. They play beautiful, unselfish basketball and the respite they offer from all the troublesome, to put it mildly, current events only adds to my gratitude for this team and school.

I was getting uncomfortable with all the syrupy superlatives all the ESPN announcers and studio guys were showering on the Zags during BYU game. Not interested in Zags getting the Duke treatment though the respect is well deserved.
                Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZionZag View Post
                  And AT&T Sports Net (Denver) covering the Rocky Mt states.....All of WY, CO, UT, NV, Some of eastern CA, southeast ID, western NE and most of NM...6:00 pm (MT). Mo and Huddy on Tune in Radio (on line) KGA or Tune in App, starting one hr. before game time
                  ATT Sports Net in North Texas is showing bass fishing...

Comment

• Spink
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Nov 2018

Spinning wheel from Stadium.com

Comment

• former1dog
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Spink View Post
                      Spinning wheel from Stadium.com
                      Me too! Anyone getting the game via Stadium?

Comment

• Spink
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Nov 2018

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                        Our program is an absolute joke when it comes to logistics for fans...

Comment

• Spink
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                          4 mins in stadium finally decided to put the game online.

Comment

• ZionZag
                            Kennel Club
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                            ATT Sports Net in North Texas is showing bass fishing...
                            Sorry I left TEXAS off but I simply wanted to get the coverage area CORRECT! It said Denver not Dallas

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZionZag View Post
                              Sorry I left TEXAS off but I simply wanted to get the coverage area CORRECT! It said Denver not Dallas
                              No apologies necessary. This week should be fine, both games on ESPN channels.

Comment

Working...
                              X