Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I like best about Suggs...

Default What I like best about Suggs...

He paces the Zags. There hasn’t been a Zag which has been this skilled at that since Nigel. He’s the floor general and everybody knows that (Kispert is the vocal leader).

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    He paces the Zags. There hasn’t been a Zag which has been this skilled at that since Nigel. He’s the floor general and everybody knows that (Kispert is the vocal leader).
    I love his toughness, he doesn't lose a step when an opponent gets physical with him.

Yes, and he’s constantly poking at the ball from behind, which often results in a turnover. It certainly puts their guy on edge and out of rhythm.

I love how much he loves making his team better. He has such a huge smile after another Zag scores, especially off one of his assists. Just a joy to watch.
    GO ZAGS!!!

I love that he actually tries on defense. Not all the time you have a top 3 pick who is digging in defensively like suggs does.

Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Everything!
    Yup........but his passing is remarkable.....

Suggs is gifted with unbelievable athletic ability but it’s his aggressiveness that sets him apart IMO.

I take note of the way Suggs changes speeds while dribbling, lulling the defense followed by a "blow-by" or a change of direction to set up a passing angle to an open man. He "sees" the court so well. Physically very gifted, of course, but his b-ball IQ is off the charts.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Confidence. Swag. Competitiveness.

Absolutely love Mark Pope’s comparison of him to Deion Sanders.

Deion was my favorite player as a kid. Jalen is my favorite player as an adult.

Both have the instincts to dominate in multiple sports, and did.

Is he still hobbled a bit? He again didn’t look as explosive as he did to start the season. That said, he still made some very athletic plays.

He seems to enjoy making the pass as much as a basket, and his guys are going to want to make tough finishes for him and make harder cuts to reward the pass. I liked his nifty little up fake against the bigger player toward the end of the game there, as well.

I appreciated his one step, two handed stuff on the dish from Timme.
    Not too many guards can do that.
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

What's not to like? Kid's a baller!

I have a slight critique. Suggs sometimes needs to be a little more selfish. He’s to good to consistently relegate himself as the 3rd or 4th option on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I have a slight critique. Suggs sometimes needs to be a little more selfish. He’s to good to consistently relegate himself as the 3rd or 4th option on offense.
    Give it time. He will be ready by March.

This is a terrific interview with Jalen by Alyssa Charleston on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJxaB6uJbnJ/

I really felt like I knew him a lot better when it was done!

what i like most about suggs is his wholehearted acceptance of the Point Guard Apprenticeship under Few. He is trying to adopt everything the coach is teaching him, and my observation is that Few has about twice as much to teach to that position as to any other position.

He seems to embrace coaching and the team concept. I have to think a lot of young players rated that high and getting this much pub would let it go to their heads. He seems very level-headed and grounded. He knows he's good, but he knows he's here to get even better, and enjoy himself and his teammates while he does.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    This is a terrific interview with Jalen by Alyssa Charleston on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJxaB6uJbnJ/

I really felt like I knew him a lot better when it was done!
    Thanks for posting ZN, as you said, terrific interview.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    what i like most about suggs is his wholehearted acceptance of the Point Guard Apprenticeship under Few. He is trying to adopt everything the coach is teaching him, and my observation is that Few has about twice as much to teach to that position as to any other position.
    I agree; he hasn't questioned going from the first option in HS to being a facilitator for the Zags. That's a tough thing for a teenager to accept, but he has the maturity to understand its merit.

I also love that he takes the game very personally. I remember he got the ball picked on a (rare) lazy pass. He chased the guy down and turned it into a fast break layup. I don't remember who we were playing, but I love the fierceness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Jalen's no prima donna, ready to take pictures with young Zag fans:

[IMG][/IMG]

If you have the chance, go to the Kennel when the Zags have their next round of hoops camps. Hopefully, life will be close to normal by summer.

The bond these players build with the "campers" is a sight to behold. Upon conclusion of the camp, the players on campus sit at tables, signing everything given to them for as long as necessary. In our case, they were there for over two hours, and seemingly enjoyed every minute of it. No shrinking violets, they spoke with nearly everyone who passed through.

I like that he has an affection for, and friendship with Joel. Clearly they are pals and also I appreciate the respect he shows for Kispert. He sounds like he's embracing his Gonzaga experience, appreciates the coaches and is driven to win the Natty! Can't beat that. His competitiveness is infectious to his teammates and it shows. We have a winner here. Go Jalen!
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Suggs is an example of why I think it is so incredibly enjoyable to watch high level college basketball.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Clearly, he has the ability to score 30 a night if he wanted to, but he seems to understand that it would be to the detriment of the TEAM. In other words, he understands that he'd have a hard time beating a team by himself and appears to be perfectly fine with helping the team win. That's the difference between Jalen and someone like Cade Cunningham who went to a team where he knew HE would have great stats, but the most important stats would suffer Wins vs Losses.
    FYI, this is the reason why I don't hold Ammo in the high regard some on here do. He was a great individual player, I won't argue that. But a great individual player usually only wins consistently playing 1 on 1, not as part of a team. Ammo was a black hole from which the ball only went towards the basket and his defense was laughable. Give me guys like Suggs, Kispert, Ayayi, Timme and company any day.

Default What I like best about Suggs...

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    FYI, this is the reason why I don't hold Ammo in the high regard some on here do. He was a great individual player, I won't argue that. But a great individual player usually only wins consistently playing 1 on 1, not as part of a team. Ammo was a black hole from which the ball only went towards the basket and his defense was laughable. Give me guys like Suggs, Kispert, Ayayi, Timme and company any day.
    Adam didn’t exactly have a comparable supporting cast to what the current guys have.