Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gonzaga vs BYU Post Game thoughts and analysis

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    You guys have your LMU teams mixed up. The LMU team that was dominant was the 1989-1990 team with hank and bo. The next years team didnt. 89-90 was the best scoring offense ever. Averaged 122 PPG, gave up 105....
    When you say you "guys", it is assumed you are including me. Please notice that I specifically mentioned the LMU team that included Kimble and Gathers. I mentioned 1990 with a provided link for specific reference. GonzaGaw looked up 90-91. You countered with 89-90. Insufficient follow up by GonzaGaw implying that LMU wasn't all that and you lumped me in with him.
    I miss Mike Hart

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    When you say you "guys", it is assumed you are including me. Please notice that I specifically mentioned the LMU team that included Kimble and Gathers. I mentioned 1990 with a provided link for specific reference. GonzaGaw looked up 90-91. You countered with 89-90. Insufficient follow up by GonzaGaw implying that LMU wasn't all that and you lumped me in with him.
    Don’t be so offended. You said 1990 which could be taken either way. The other guy got the wrong team. Was just clarifying because those are two totally different level teams.

The beauty and sheer dominance of this offense is not something we see in college basketball very often. Arguably one of the best.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaeaBYU View Post
    The fans are demoralized on the CB board. The most sober assessment is that BYU only has two to three players who might make your bench. Hopefully the next game is competitive for a longer period. The five players starting for Gonzaga are all better than any player BYU has ever had. Your talent level is that much superior to the rest of the league.
    You're a little too kind ArchaeaBYU, but it's appreciated that you would give them such high praise. They're great players, but Jimmer Fredette was a player of the year type talent. He would've started on this team.

Before the season is done though, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility we could make Kispert vs Fredette comparisons.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Don’t be so offended. You said 1990 which could be taken either way. The other guy got the wrong team. Was just clarifying because those are two totally different level teams.
    A link for specific reference is not "could be taken either way". Further, it invoked a response from you and that makes me wonder who is really offended. If it didn't matter, was no big deal, why did you feel inclined to respond to it? So now that the thread is sufficiently hijacked, derailed, after my legitimate attempt to clarify an inaccurate reference to my post, I will go ahead and dive in head first.

When referencing my posts, I expect the standard to be high relative to accurate reference to what I say. If I am wrong, I will own up to it. For example, several years later, I will openly admit to being dead wrong about Bol Kong. If I am right, however, I will set the record straight for those that imply otherwise. Here is an exercise. Where in this thread have I inaccurately referenced another poster's comments? Can the same be said for you? Then, after your inaccuracy, you pretend to know my resultant emotion as "offended". Rather presumptuous to include your minor indignation that I could possibly be "offended". You do know that it is a passive/aggresive remark, that has nothing to do with the subject matter? Correct? It is also revealing, that at the first inclination one is beginning to be proven wrong, a personal remark, "Don't be offended" must be included. Honestly, I wasn't offended at all.....until you accused me of it.

Back to the greatest college basketball offense since 1990 LMU that included Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble. What I said in the first place. A fact that isn't being paid nearly enough attention to, or given proper reverence, and has already had a debunk attempt within this thread.
    Last edited by MickMick; 01-09-2021 at 02:36 AM.
    I miss Mike Hart

You guys have your LMU teams mixed up. The LMU team that was dominant was the 1989-1990 team with hank and bo. The next years team didnt. 89-90 was the best scoring offense ever. Averaged 122 PPG, gave up 105....
    They were a very good team, but I wouldn’t call them dominant. With their full squad, they were only 2-3 against ranked opponents. They lost two other games to qualify teams as well. Definitely an amazing offense though! Even without Gathers, they made the Elite Eight as an 11 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    They were a very good team, but I wouldn’t call them dominant. With their full squad, they were only 2-3 against ranked opponents. They lost two other games to qualify teams as well. Definitely an amazing offense though! Even without Gathers, they made the Elite Eight as an 11 seed.
    1990 was a long time ago. When you talk about something that hasn't been accomplished for 30 years, you are talking GENERATIONAL. Actually, multi generational. Further, I am delighted that the discussion is finally, albeit briefly, discussing it. It absolutely needs it's 15 minutes of fame and anyone that recalls that 1990 LMU team would be sufficiently impressed. Obviously, the folks that poo poo the idea, didn't really watch them. I mean really watch them. They were legendary in college basketball and that is what the Zags are doing now.

I miss Mike Hart

Wow the numbers are interesting regarding 89-90 LMU. Both teams 70% from the line. Our 2 pt % is 62, theirs was 56. But from 3pt they were 40% and we are 34. 40% from three over a season is awesome. Our stat would be closer if the freshmen didnt see the floor in mop up time.

- my apology for throwing a monkey wrench into the topic of lmu and their high scoring teams.

- good point about 3 percentage and mop up time. team percentage right now is 34.5 percent. but the good news is 90% of made 3's come from kispert, suggs, ayayi and nembhard, and those are the 4 you want taking 3's on this team. their collective 3 point percentage is 42.3 (of course you can play this statistical game with any team).

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - their collective 3 point percentage is 42.3 (of course you can play this statistical game with any team).
    Thanks for that. I was curious what our starters averaged from 3 but was too lazy to do the math.

Just to seal this up a bit.

LMU is remembered for being a great team but it's also bc they were so far ahead of their time. They figured out that having great 3 point shooters hoisting up the shot that counts more than your silly shot was a good weapon. Now anyone watching Golden State or just about any NBA team sees nearly the exact same thing. So it doesn't look as novel as it did when LMU did things.

At least, that's my interpretation and it's not at all meant to denigrate anything about this team. I think this Zag team would beat that LMU team by 30 simply bc the Zags are 20 pts better than the 3rd ranked team at this point.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.