• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by jsnider View Post
    Reborn - that is why I asked the question and posted the thread a couple of days ago regarding - "is anyone just a little worried about next year". I am not at all impressed with the subs yet. The 1st team is 2nd to none. But we will be losing a lot from this current team. From what I have seen so far - until and unless the subs begin to show a bit more I am a bit concerned for next year. But I sure am enjoying this year.
    Thanks for your reply. I understand. However, it's just way too early for me to worry about next year. There are just many, many months before we need to worry about next year. We can identify some players off of this years team who will be back, as well as we know some of the recruits who will be on the team next year. But there will be others, that's for sure. And I am sure they will fill the needs that next year's team will have. The coaching staff has done an excellent job of recruiting, and it gets better every year. So I wouldn't worry about it. Really! Have faith my friend. Also Harris, Strawther, and Ballo will be WAY better next year. You can count on that.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• ArchaeaBYU
      Bulldog Fan
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by zag67 View Post
      I think that we saw our bench running without a general. If Cook had been healthy and playing then I think that we would have seen a more organized group of players in the last ten minutes. The freshmen and returning players just need time playing and to understand scoring is not everything.
      The fans are demoralized on the CB board. The most sober assessment is that BYU only has two to three players who might make your bench. Hopefully the next game is competitive for a longer period. The five players starting for Gonzaga are all better than any player BYU has ever had. Your talent level is that much superior to the rest of the league.

Comment

• zagdontzig
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2016

Originally posted by GonzaGAW View Post
        - a pattern is taking shape, early leads of around 14-2, that balloon to 20 plus by halftime. then human nature kicks in and lead is down into the teens, more gas and up by 25 or more, then the subs whittle the lead back to below 20.
        - gotta agree subs looked bad tonight, byu made their last 6 shots, all easy layin's.

- i do not believe there is a team that can beat gonzaga, except for gonzaga. by that i mean if on one night all the wheels fall off, nobody can make a shot, they get tight and turn the ball over. even then to lose they may need an assist from the referees.
        I think we were seeing the same thing, but this put some statistical context to the our dominance in comparison to the final box score, calling the game "Analytically Final" with 11:44 left to play:

Originally posted by Reborn
        Go Zags!!!
        Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• TexasZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zag67 View Post
          I think that we saw our bench running without a general. If Cook had been healthy and playing then I think that we would have seen a more organized group of players in the last ten minutes. The freshmen and returning players just need time playing and to understand scoring is not everything.
          If Aaron is the General for the bench, then Dom is the 2nd LT Platoon Leader for the bench.

Quick quiz, what is the Army's most dangerous weapon? Answer: a 2nd Lieutenant with a map.

No worries, Dom will advance to Captain over the next two months.

Comment

• tinfoilzag
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2009

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
            I assume you meant “if a deep bench was....” cuz we ain’t got one.
            I'd pick our bench (with Cook healthy) to win the WCC.

We have a very deep bench but the drop off from guys like Suggs, Kispert, Timme, and Ayayi is pronounced. To have a deep bench would we need 6 or 7 all-American candidates?
            The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2008

the blowouts are great to see the bench play in some lineups with the main group. Dom ran with a group of starting four and looked lost on O especially off the ball, but with that video in that situation he will learn a lot more than the video from the end of game stuff. That's why Few put him out there in that situation last night, my opinion. Dom has also shown well in some situations earlier this year, he's a freshman, still getting comfy in everything. we'll see but no rush to judgment from me and looking forward to his next performance and opportunities for growth from this. Sucks Cook is out but reps for Dom

there were other interesting player groupings with AW in the post alone where he has shown pretty well so far this season, and also out there with Ballo at the same time for for periods, the blowout allowing the minutes distribution? idk, would guess yes that it affected those decisions, and great to take advantage.

On Ballo, he can get up and down, and he's active for stretches and shows desire on both ends imo. Nitpick coming...his box out is better, lower on the initial battle, but he stops moving after that as the opposition keeps working so Oumar ends up reaching for the ball with players underneath him and beside him smacking the ball away. Can be learned to be aware of this and address, feel the defender and keep the feet moving to keep the seal so the rebound is with the shoulders and not just the hands

This team is SUPER FUN to watch and root for. The Zags have always brought a lot of joy to my life, this vicarious super ride, but the joy they have been bringing to my life this season I've never so appreciated, whatever happens

Go Zags

Comment

• Hogan
                Kennel Club Material
                • Mar 2007

Is it just me, or is anyone else concerned with our low post defense, especially from Timme?

Comment

• Therunner
                  Zag for Life
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Hogan View Post
                  Is it just me, or is anyone else concerned with our low post defense, especially from Timme?
                  His defense isn't bad, he actually fronts very well and knows when to drop into the paint, yet he must show he isn't a liability at the next level. If you combine unknown outside shooting, its the reason he'll likely be in a Zag jersey next year.

That said, id say it wasn't the highest lvl of effort we've seen from Timme this season. His 2 rebs and early fouls are indicative of that...he still played very well in limited mins, as always.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ArchaeaBYU View Post
                    The fans are demoralized on the CB board. The most sober assessment is that BYU only has two to three players who might make your bench. Hopefully the next game is competitive for a longer period. The five players starting for Gonzaga are all better than any player BYU has ever had. Your talent level is that much superior to the rest of the league.
                    Jimmer?

Comment

• MickMick
                      Zag for Life
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
                      MM - My apologies for not being more clear in my "Yawn" comment. The yawn was not to denigrate the talent and unique ability of this team. It was a response to the previous posts micro analyzing and criticizing the second half of another WCC blowout. The guys have a chance to do something that hasn't been done in over 40 years, absolutely no "yawn" there. Great fun watching these guys play and get better. Beautiful basketball.............

Go ZAGS
                      It's all good. I don't pretend to know your line of thinking, but I do know that we should not underappreciate what we have here. Check out some blueblood forums for some real anguish and from that experience, understand that we have no room to feel entitled as fans. Success can be fleeting. I'm guilty of this myself, but it comes with a stark realization. We may never see a better GU team than this one. It is very possible. So we should really savor every moment.
                      I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                        It's all good. I don't pretend to know your line of thinking, but I do know that we should not underappreciate what we have here. Check out some blueblood forums for some real anguish and from that experience, understand that we have no room to feel entitled as fans. Success can be fleeting. I'm guilty of this myself, but it comes with a stark realization. We may never see a better GU team than this one. It is very possible. So we should really savor every moment.
                        Well put................"We may never see a better GU team than this one. So we should really savor every moment."

Go ZAGS

Comment

• GrizZAG
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2009

I have noticed that when Joel is not on the floor the team is very different and not as effective. He brings more to this team than some realize. We are not as solid without him for certain IMO.
                          One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• MickMick
                            Zag for Life
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by GrizZAG View Post
                            I have noticed that when Joel is not on the floor the team is very different and not as effective. He brings more to this team than some realize. We are not as solid without him for certain IMO.
                            There is a very distinct difference when Kispert or Ayayi are not on the floor. Ayayi tracks down every 50/50 ball and Kispert's dependable scoring insures that chipping away at a big Zag lead is damn near futile. Nembhard is such a quality player, that the drop off from Suggs' absence isn't quite as noticeable as they both make Timme (or anyone for that matter) look like an All American with their outlet passes in transition.
                            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• krozman
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by GrizZAG View Post
                              On that note, would you instruct Ayayi to never shoot the ball? Because, comon, he's not rebounding if he's shooting!

I kid!!
                              Krozman
                              GU student 1996-2000
                              Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• katman50
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Ayayi is a Zag treasure. He has come so far the past year. We are blessed to have him. Gosh, how many years has he been in the program? He has paid his dues and is finally thriving.

Comment

Working...
                                X