Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga hosting BYU

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    As I said, we will know for certain when it is here: https://gozags.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
    CONFIRMAGE HAS COMMENCED.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Jim Meehan just tweeted that it's expected to tip off at 5:30pm on ESPN, replacing the UConn-Baylor women's game.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Here's a couple questions: I looked on the scheduling of BYU and it shows they play Pacific on Thursday. So I am wondering how they can play us if they already play Pacific. The BYU vs Pacific game is on both BYU's schedule and Pacific's. BYU does not have a game scheduled for Saturday, but we do and so does Pacific. I don't see how BYU can play us if they're already scheduled to play Pacific.

the other observation is that the Gonzaga vs Santa Clara game is still scheduled for Thursday on ESPN for 6:00. Not on ESPN, so most likely it was Root who was going to show the game. If Gonzaga is going to play BYU Thurs., most likely ESPN won't pick it up at 6 pm because UCLA is scheduled to play someone at 7:30 on ESPN. A six O clock game with BYU would not be over by 7:30.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Here's a couple questions: I looked on the scheduling of BYU and it shows they play Pacific on Thursday. So I am wondering how they can play us if they already play Pacific. The BYU vs Pacific game is on both BYU's schedule and Pacific's. BYU does not have a game scheduled for Saturday, but we do and so does Pacific. I don't see how BYU can play us if they're already scheduled to play Pacific.

the other observation is that the Gonzaga vs Santa Clara game is still scheduled for Thursday on ESPN for 6:00. Not on ESPN, so most likely it was Root who was going to show the game. If Gonzaga is going to play BYU Thurs., most likely ESPN won't pick it up at 6 pm because UCLA is scheduled to play someone at 7:30 on ESPN. A six O clock game with BYU would not be over by 7:30.
    Pacific is coming off a pause and was looking for a little more time per one of the articles. Suspect it will just be swapped with the GU date next month that got moved.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Zags now have an open date on February 6th. We may get Santa Clara then, but I'm hoping for Idaho or Eastern Washington (Baylor already has a game scheduled that day).
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Zags now have an open date on February 6th. We may get Santa Clara then, but I'm hoping for Idaho or Eastern Washington (Baylor already has a game scheduled that day).
    I’d take Xavier or Creighton, honestly. WSU, maybe, but nothing to be gained by playing EWU or Idaho at this point (now that the ooc cupcakes have been played).

I'd guess Santa Clara if they're healthy, that was their bye date.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    I’d take Xavier or Creighton, honestly. WSU, maybe, but nothing to be gained by playing EWU or Idaho at this point (now that the ooc cupcakes have been played).
    WSU is much improved and have a very good defense this year. It would be a game the Zags win comfortably but could really provide some value at the same time. It’s unlikely it would happen though with the P12 protocols indirectly discouraging these type games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Steven Karr, at twitter:

Original WCC schedule this week:

Pacific at BYU
    SMC at USD
    SCU at Zags
    LMU at Port
    Pepp at USF

Zags at Port
    USF at LMU
    USD at Pacific
    SMC at SCU

Current WCC Schedule:

USF at Port
    BYU at Zags

SCU at SMC
    Zags at Port
    USF at LMU pushed to Sun

-Pepp, Pacific, USD paused

I'm thinking that if the WCC has 3 or 4 teams on pause the next 60 days these changes will continue......Soren, that's the first place I also went to see what Baylor was doing that day....I'm thinking with all the wild schedule changes
    we will get BU before March Madness.

- baylor, baylor, baylor, i'm tired of baylor.
    - the game made sense early in the season, test each team, see how they perform, is either team as good as their press?
    - now it is clear both teams are head and shoulders above the next tier of teams. if they played the outcome would probably leave both still ranked in the top 2 or maybe top 3.
    - i'd rather beat baylor the one time that it counts in the championship game, not in some mid season filler game.

- bring on wsu, or tennessee or st. louis or sdst.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - the game made sense early in the season, test each team, see how they perform, is either team as good as their press?
    - now it is clear both teams are head and shoulders above the next tier of teams. if they played the outcome would probably leave both still ranked in the top 2 or maybe top 3.
    - i'd rather beat baylor the one time that it counts in the championship game, not in some mid season filler game.

This. Why beat them in February, give them film to critique the first matchup and then allow them to make adjustments in April?

Beat them one time for all the marbles.

i guess also, that barring a loss from a WCC team we're guaranteed the overall number 1 seed. No need to jeopardize that.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Dave Flemming and Sean Farnham are calling BYU-Gonzaga on Thursday night.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post

This

This post is exactly how I feel.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    AMAZING NEWS! Love this duo!

Wonder if they'll call remote again, or if Sean will get that Davenport flatbread that he constantly praises?

Dang it. That’s my wife’s birthday. I could watch the SC game recorded and be happy but I will go nuts missing BYU live.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    I'm totally geeked! At first I thought we would get bottom of the barrel ESPN guys, but Dave and Sean are top notch. I know they have called at least one of our games before.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Dang it. That’s my wife’s birthday. I could watch the SC game recorded and be happy but I will go nuts missing BYU live.
    Could be worse. What if her birthday were in March during first couple weeks of tournament!

Quote Originally Posted by gonstu View Post
    Could be worse. What if her birthday were in March during first couple weeks of tournament!
    Then you claim Covid exposure and quarantine for 10-14 days!!

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Then you claim Covid exposure and quarantine for 10-14 days!!
    hmmmmmmmmmmm genius suggestion
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

I'm totally geeked! At first I thought we would get bottom of the barrel ESPN guys, but Dave and Sean are top notch. I know they have called at least one of our games before.
    +1000

I haven't heard it as much this year, but in prior years there's always a contingent here and elsewhere saying "(poll) rankings don't matter" (usually in the context of tournament seeding, in fairness). I disagree. The near-consensus #1 gets A-team announcers, and I won't be convinced otherwise. It has to factor. And while it may be a second-derivative impact, prime time east coast TV placement with A-team announcers has to be a benefit on Selection Sunday. Perhaps we don't need the help this year, but that's not the point.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    +1000

I haven't heard it as much this year, but in prior years there's always a contingent here and elsewhere saying "(poll) rankings don't matter" (usually in the context of tournament seeding, in fairness). I disagree. The near-consensus #1 gets A-team announcers, and I won't be convinced otherwise. It has to factor. And while it may be a second-derivative impact, prime time east coast TV placement with A-team announcers has to be a benefit on Selection Sunday. Perhaps we don't need the help this year, but that's not the point.
    The PR value is inestimable. And the impact on driving freshman, funds and friends is enormous. The poll-deniers are well meaning and idealistic but don't necessarily see the essential reason colleges and universities field athletic teams.

From SCU Basketball news yesterday;

SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Santa Clara men's basketball has adjustments in this week's game schedule.

Thursday's game at Gonzaga has been postponed and Saturday's tilt against Saint Mary's will now take place in Moraga, California, and serve as the West Coast Conference opener for the Broncos.

Due to COVID-19 contact tracing protocols, the Broncos (6-2) have been in quarantine since last week after a game against New Mexico State was canceled. Santa Clara's last played on Tuesday, Dec. 29 at USC.

The contest with the Gaels is set for 4 p.m. in University Credit Union Pavilion and will air on CBS Sports Network. Santa Clara will be the home team for the matchup on Feb. 4.

No makeup date has been set for the game against the Zags.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!