Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will Joel Ayayi be the 4th Zag on this team drafted into the NBA

I said early last year that Joel reminds me most of Victor Oladipo. He has a complete game and will have a long career in the NBA. Doubt he will be back at GU next year, but would be really happy if he is.

Quote Originally Posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
    I'm amazed that so many posters aren't more enthusiastic about Joel: One could make a very credible argument that he's the best player on the team. (Not talking upside/potential, but today.) Stats are outstanding, and he certainly passes the eye test -- efficient, always moving, always in the right spot, always doing the little things, and he plays bigger than his size. Rebounding is almost Rodmanesque in terms of his ability to put himself in position on the boards. Having a guard out there who can also play like a "4" is a rarity and a luxury. Without him this would be a very different team. Hard to imagine there are thirty players in CBB better than he is.
    Ayayi is potentially an all time great college player, emphasis on college.

The question in this thread, though, is NBA potential. In that conversation Ayayi has issues, IMHO. His athleticism will create problems for him at the next level and this is why I think he won’t be drafted.

None of this means I’m not amazed and impressed to my core by Ayayi.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Ayayi is potentially an all time great college player, emphasis on college.

The question in this thread, though, is NBA potential. In that conversation Ayayi has issues, IMHO. His athleticism will create problems for him at the next level and this is why I think he won’t be drafted.

None of this means I’m not amazed and impressed to my core by Ayayi.
    6'5 pg who can rebound, handle and has a decent shooting ability who also has international experience? I'll bet you a beer on that.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    6'5 pg who can rebound, handle and has a decent shooting ability who also has international experience? I'll bet you a beer on that.
    Ok, I’m saying not drafted and you’re saying he will get drafted? If those are the terms, you’re on.

Also, I’m not saying he won’t play in the NBA. I’m not even saying he won’t be successful in the NBA. I’m saying he’s not athletic enough for an NBA to draft him.

I can see Ayayi being drafted by Golden State, Grizzlies or Raptors.
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I did....when he was a freshman, not AA first round, but NBA....
    I've lurked on here for a decade, and finally decided to post (I have minimal basketball insight, just try to learn from you all....

Anyway, I've got to ask, how the heck did you see that potential? I was at GU Olynyk's freshman year. I thought he was going to be horrible, and incredibly clumsy.

Funny anecdote, during a blowout in the Kennel, few called for KO to come off the bench. While walking to check-in, he slipped on a towel, fell over (not awful, just clumsy), and Few sent him back to bench. I was certain he'd never play. Man was I wrong. He was spectacular.

With regards to the topic at hand, Ayayi is certainly 2nd round caliber now, but I do wonder if he looks at how much Corey's stock has improved this year?

What if he came back and was told to hunt his shot a bit more? Could he be a 16/10 guy with Kispert gone? Probably tough with some big acquisitions and his selfless nature, but it'd be awesome to see. He feels irreplaceable- you can effectively run zero plays for him, and he'll score 12 on steals and put backs, while leading the team in rebounds.

Quote Originally Posted by matttrick View Post
    I've lurked on here for a decade, and finally decided to post (I have minimal basketball insight, just try to learn from you all....

Anyway, I've got to ask, how the heck did you see that potential? I was at GU Olynyk's freshman year. I thought he was going to be horrible, and incredibly clumsy.

Funny anecdote, during a blowout in the Kennel, few called for KO to come off the bench. While walking to check-in, he slipped on a towel, fell over (not awful, just clumsy), and Few sent him back to bench. I was certain he'd never play. Man was I wrong. He was spectacular.
    Welcome!

Post more. Be a part of things.

DZ
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.