Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Joel Ayayi be the 4th Zag on this team drafted into the NBA

Default Will Joel Ayayi be the 4th Zag on this team drafted into the NBA

I've been thinking a lot about Joel lately, and especially after his last two games where he averaged 17.5 ppg and 10 rebounds. It was great to see him come out of his shell over these last two games, and I hope that he continues to do so. The accuracy of his 3 pointers has returned, and this makes the Zags even more dangerous now. Joel is averaging 12.2 ppg this season and 8 rebounds. He's the leading rebounder on the team and the 4th leading scorer. Yes, there are 4 Zags scoring in double figures, and Nembhard is at 9.8, just two tenths of one point from averaging ten points per game.

I came to love Joel's game last year and especially in the Conference Championship Tournament where he was voted the most valued player in that tournament. It was also well deserved as Joel showed all the talent he has. I was really looking forward to seeing Joel continue to be one of the leading players on this team, but early on it just wasn't happening for whatever reason. He just didn't appear to use his talent at all. Joel certainly appears to be an amazing unselfish player, as game after game he just took a back seat to the other super talented players. And there is no doubt that this Gonzaga team certainly has an abundance of very talented players, capable of playing in the NBA. But when Suggs was injured last week, it was Ayayi who stepped up, scoring 16 of his eighteen points in the first half of the Dixie State game. I think he made 5 three pointers. For his excellent play in the last two games he was voted as the Player of the Week in the WCC. That's quite an honor when you had someone like Corey Kispert who probably averaged 25 points a game in those two games.

So back to the question raised in this thread, is Joel good enough to play in the NBA. My answer is yes, and I believe that there is a team out there looking for a player just like Joel Ayayi, a capable scorer who is unselfish, and who can get you those timely offensive rebounds. Ayayi could possible be another Dennis Rodman type of player who certainly helped the Chicago Bulls to a number of NBA titles.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Yes

Enjoy this final season at GU for Joel. I don’t think he’ll return, as he graduated in December.

My best guess for next year’s draft.

Suggs - Lottery
    Kispert - 1st round
    Ayayi - 2nd round

So if you’re talking about next year, I guess my answer is yes to Joel but no to being the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    My best guess for next year’s draft.

Suggs - Lottery
    Kispert - 1st round
    Ayayi - 2nd round

So if you’re talking about next year, I guess my answer is yes to Joel but no to being the 4th.
    I was thinking about Timme also.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I’m not as sure he’d get drafted next year. But if he comes out I’d wish him the best.

I think he needs to prove that he has an outside shot.
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

I've been thinking a lot about Joel lately, and especially after his last two games where he averaged 17.5 ppg and 10 rebounds. It was great to see him come out of his shell over these last two games, and I hope that he continues to do so. The accuracy of his 3 pointers has returned, and this makes the Zags even more dangerous now. Joel is averaging 12.2 ppg this season and 8 rebounds. He's the leading rebounder on the team and the 4th leading scorer. Yes, there are 4 Zags scoring in double figures, and Nembhard is at 9.8, just two tenths of one point from averaging ten points per game.

I came to love Joel's game last year and especially in the Conference Championship Tournament where he was voted the most valued player in that tournament. It was also well deserved as Joel showed all the talent he has. I was really looking forward to seeing Joel continue to be one of the leading players on this team, but early on it just wasn't happening for whatever reason. He just didn't appear to use his talent at all. Joel certainly appears to be an amazing unselfish player, as game after game he just took a back seat to the other super talented players. And there is no doubt that this Gonzaga team certainly has an abundance of very talented players, capable of playing in the NBA. But when Suggs was injured last week, it was Ayayi who stepped up, scoring 16 of his eighteen points in the first half of the Dixie State game. I think he made 5 three pointers. For his excellent play in the last two games he was voted as the Player of the Week in the WCC. That's quite an honor when you had someone like Corey Kispert who probably averaged 25 points a game in those two games.

So back to the question raised in this thread, is Joel good enough to play in the NBA. My answer is yes, and I believe that there is a team out there looking for a player just like Joel Ayayi, a capable scorer who is unselfish, and who can get you those timely offensive rebounds. Ayayi could possible be another Dennis Rodman type of player who certainly helped the Chicago Bulls to a number of NBA titles.

Go Zags!
    Are you thinking Kispert, Suggs, Ayayi and Timme? I think the first 3 are gone for sure but not sure about Drew. I agree with the previous post - He needs to prove that he can hit the outside shot more consistently. What is the probability he leaves?

Timme? Zero chance. His production has dropped last few games, his defense is not dominant, and outside shot spotty. If he leaves next year, he'll have a Zach Norvell pro career. I don't think Zach was going to improve his game staying, but Drew can still improve and raise his stock. I like Drew, love his swagger. He's not yet in the Sabonis or Olynyk league.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Timme? Zero chance. His production has dropped last few games, his defense is not dominant, and outside shot spotty. If he leaves next year, he'll have a Zach Norvell pro career. I don't think Zach was going to improve his game staying, but Drew can still improve and raise his stock. I like Drew, love his swagger. He's not yet in the Sabonis or Olynyk league.
    Timme could stay for ten years and not get to KO much less TB level. Great college player, great young man.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Timme could stay for ten years and not get to KO much less TB level. Great college player, great young man.
    I really like his game! He has some of the best foot work I've seen at GU or in the college game. He is tough to defend too! However, could he be another Love (Cleveland not Chicago)? Don't know but he would need to be lights-out from behind the arc...BUT who could he defend at the next level? Think he would need to develop an enormous amount of quickness and leaping abilities just don't see him defending Davis or the Greek Freek or KO...

Oh, forgot...this thread is about Joel...not sure he has the skill set to compete in the NBA and compare him to Nigel-Goss...both excellent college players but just a notch below the NBA...Europe seems to be where he would be extremely effective

Not taking away from these two wonderful persons/players but just my opinion and sometimes my opinions are wrong or at least that's what my wife says...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    I really like his game! He has some of the best foot work I've seen at GU or in the college game. He is tough to defend too! However, could he be another Love (Cleveland not Chicago)? Don't know but he would need to be lights-out from behind the arc...BUT who could he defend at the next level? Think he would need to develop an enormous amount of quickness and leaping abilities just don't see him defending Davis or the Greek Freek or KO...

Not taking away from this wonderful person/player but just my opinion and sometimes my opinions are wrong or at least that's what my wife says...
    More like Casey, Batista, Elias, Sam, Shem, the projection is not bright. Great college players. Not everyone makes the NBA. Tims will be just fine. Kevin L dominated at UCLA and Bob L, wow what a player.

No one predicted KO would explode in his fourth year at GU, not All-American first-round level.

Timme doesn't have KO's footwork, nor strength. If Timme got much stronger, put on some muscle weight, chisel himself out a bit, he might well get close. Kelly was a bit taller, but, still. I think he can get closer than you think.

Reading through comments, it seems like strength and physicality are the two biggest issues. He'd get mowed over, impolitely, in the NBA. But if he shows he can shoot and get much stronger and defend better? Might push stock up.

Ayayi, I'm higher on than just about anyone. He's never been the go-to guy, but he simply never misses around the rim, it's ridiculous. Plus, I'm starting to trust his 3 as much as anyone else, or more, except Kispert.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

no....but they will make a lot of euros...

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    No one predicted KO would explode in his fourth year at GU, not All-American first-round level.
    I did....when he was a freshman, not AA first round, but NBA....

Ayayi is becoming one of my favorite players on this team full of favorites. He is always where he needs to be.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

We’re all guessing so here’s mine.

Suggs - Lottery Pick
    Kispert - First round, mid twentieth pick
    Ayayi - Enters draft, hires agent, goes undrafted but signs a two way contract.
    Timme - Tests the waters but based on NBA feedback returns to school to bulk up and get more consistent with his outside shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    We’re all guessing so here’s mine.

Suggs - Lottery Pick
    Kispert - First round, mid twentieth pick
    Ayayi - Enters draft, hires agent, goes undrafted but signs a two way contract.
    Timme - Tests the waters but based on NBA feedback returns to school to bulk up and get more consistent with his outside shooting.

I agree with all of the above and would add:

Timme gets drafted in the second round.
    Ballo gets drafted at the edge of the lottery.
    Nembhard goes undrafted and finds his way into the G-League.
    Holmgren is drafted with a top five pick.
    Sallis tests the waters and returns for another year.
    Cook tests the draft waters, but comes back for his fourth senior year.
    Grant Gibbs returns to GU as a graduate transfer under the NCAA’s extended COVID eligibility protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I agree with all of the above and would add:

Timme gets drafted in the second round.
    Ballo gets drafted at the edge of the lottery.
    Nembhard goes undrafted and finds his way into the G-League.
    Holmgren is drafted with a top five pick.
    Sallis tests the waters and returns for another year.
    Cook tests the draft waters, but comes back for his fourth senior year.
    Grant Gibbs returns to GU as a graduate transfer under the NCAA’s extended COVID eligibility protocol.
    Wish it was April 1st, I might be inoculated by now. Hilarious, MCMM. You had me until Ballo.

Wish it was April 1st, I might be inoculated by now. Hilarious, MCMM. You had me until Ballo.

Now, he might be ready by th end of the 2022 season...I don't know what happened to the guy that dominated the u-18 finals...

you and I both felt before watching him play this season, that he was going to be the force in the paint...I thought for sure he would have advanced that by mid-season (if we even have one) would be starting over Watson...I just hope he keeps improving each week...

When it's mop-up-time, IMO we need to get him the ball when he posts up so he can work on offence...

Now, he might be ready by th end of the 2022 season...I don't know what happened to the guy that dominated the u-18 finals...

you and I both felt before watching him play this season, that he was going to be the force in the paint...I thought for sure he would have advanced that by mid-season (if we even have one) would be starting over Watson...I just hope he keeps improving each week...

When it's mop-up-time, IMO we need to get him the ball when he posts up so he can work on offence...
    Love your optimism, but just don't see it.

The optimism regarding Ballo is through the roofs on this board. It is starting to be Bol Kong 2.0

First Shawn Kemp comparisons, then he is Baby Shaq, now he is a lottery pick in a year. Maybe my 30 years of basketball viewing, coaching, training pros, coaching college, playing college has made me blind to talent, but color me SHOCKED if he is a lottery pick by next year.

Suggs will be a top 3 pick. Top 5 for sure.

Kispert is a fringe lottery pick this year. His size and shooting ability are coveted. He is NBA ready from day 1.

Ayayi will be a fringe first rounder, early second rounder. I see Tyler Haliburton when i see him. Great frame for a pg, decent athleticism, and is a better shooter than he has shown this year.

Timme would be a late second rounder if he came out this year. I see him returning. If he doesnt, wish him well but do think it would be a mistake. Needs to improve his outside shot and get more muscular. Scouts will look at the WVU tape and see how physical big men made it tough on him.

AN wouldnt get drafted if he came out this year.

No one else would get drafted.

I'm amazed that so many posters aren't more enthusiastic about Joel: One could make a very credible argument that he's the best player on the team. (Not talking upside/potential, but today.) Stats are outstanding, and he certainly passes the eye test -- efficient, always moving, always in the right spot, always doing the little things, and he plays bigger than his size. Rebounding is almost Rodmanesque in terms of his ability to put himself in position on the boards. Having a guard out there who can also play like a "4" is a rarity and a luxury. Without him this would be a very different team. Hard to imagine there are thirty players in CBB better than he is.

Quote Originally Posted by PeninsulaDog View Post
    I'm amazed that so many posters aren't more enthusiastic about Joel: One could make a very credible argument that he's the best player on the team. (Not talking upside/potential, but today.) Stats are outstanding, and he certainly passes the eye test -- efficient, always moving, always in the right spot, always doing the little things, and he plays bigger than his size. Rebounding is almost Rodmanesque in terms of his ability to put himself in position on the boards. Having a guard out there who can also play like a "4" is a rarity and a luxury. Without him this would be a very different team. Hard to imagine there are thirty players in CBB better than he is.
    I do agree with you. I would be flabbergasted if he goes "undrafted" as some people guess.

With that said, CaldwellZag wrote an article published on SSF that mentions Sallis in the same back court next year as Ayayi and Nembhard, so maybe he has some inside info?