Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clarification on Announcers

The one thing I'll say is that I have zero issues with Richard Fox. I'll take him as the analyst for all of our games. The issue is with some of Heister's goofiness, and worst of all when all three of them are together and we get the awkward banter. Dickau actually does a fairly decent job on the other broadcasts he does (non-GU division). I don't know if it's the fact that three's a crowd that causes the problems, or if it's Heister egging on Dickau, or if it's something about Dickau not having the same sense of professionalism when it's his team, but I'd sure like it to change. I don't love Heister, but Heister+Fox would be an improvement over Heister+Fox+Dickau, and even Heister+Dickau would be an improvement (they seem decent on Pac-12 games), though my ideal would probably be a new play-by-play voice and potentially keeping Fox.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Or the loudest consumers demanding change ...what about the consumers who are satisfied and continue to watch and not raise any concerns? Just because someone voices a loud feedback does not mean they speak for all or even the majaority
    Spot on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    All this fussing about the TV announcers is much ado, as far as I'm concerned. I listen to Tom Hudson and Adam Morrison cover the games on the online radio, here: https://tunein.com/radio/KGA-1510-s32766/.

I used to listen on my regular radio but it was faster than the TV audio, so I switched to online, which slows down the audio to almost line up with the screen audio.
    So, ZN, you're saying you ARE boycotting, albeit just the audio, and have been doing so for years. Appreciate the link to the Huddy's webcast, by the way. From other threads on this topic, you're not the only one that boycotts the audio although you may be one of the few that does it for every game, even ESPN.

I'm sure the advertisers wouldn't appreciate anything that results in Spokane not hearing their commercial sound tracks. If I run into Murray, I'll ask him and I'll bet he'll confirm that's not what he's paying for.

Agree with webspinner, Heister and Dickau do a pretty good job on the Coug games. My take is that Heister is simply too much of a ZAG fan and he gets all caught up in the game and looses any semblance of professionalism.

His job is play-by-play, while Dickau and Fox are the color guys. I think Heister simply forgets he's not in his living room (thought the last thread's title was right on), that there are two teams on the floor (one of which he nearly completely ignores), and his fanatical exuberance for the ZAGS gets in the way. You can even hear the tension in his voice when a blowout isn't. He's genuinely concerned HIS ZAGS might loose.

Oh, if I have that talk mentioned above, I'll be sure and forget that I nearly always start the game 30-45 minutes in so I can fast forward through the commercials (although I'm really liking the new Huppins commercials). Murray's not paying for that type of boycott either...

Go ZAGS!
    Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

From the School of Redundancy (since I’ve posted this before but cannot help myself): I don’t mind their truly silly banter EXCEPT when it displaces timely play by play. I want them to actually inform me as to what is going on when it is not obvious to the viewer. For example, how long did it take them to stop being ridiculous and tell us it was Jalen who had the T the other night? How often is a foul called and they take their time telling us who it was called on (when not obvious) and which foul on the player that was? This happens ALL the time while they prattle on and on. Again, I don’t mind the prattle unless it is keeping them from doing their job! End of rant.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    AD Roth told me last week he intended to speak with Heister and the producer, FWIW.
    Wait Jazz—you spoke to Mike Roth?

Did you mention we have an issue with streaming Zags games out if Spokane?
    Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Or the loudest consumers demanding change ...what about the consumers who are satisfied and continue to watch and not raise any concerns? Just because someone voices a loud feedback does not mean they speak for all or even the majaority
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by All Weather Fan View Post
    Going back to my comments in the original thread addressing this issue: 3 announcers is 1 too many for starters. I don't see any other broadcasts crowding 2 color commentators into the booth with a play by play guy. The familiarity between these 3 is a big part of the problem in my opinion. Without throwing anyone under the bus, Heister & Dickau do a good job on Pac 12 games. Again, I am not singling out Foxy either. In fact he tries to keep things on a professional level while the other 2 resort to their banter with each trying for the last word. It really is time to address this and starting with AD Roth is probably the best avenue to implement a change.

Personally, I like the three-some we have...yes they banter a lot but still remain focused on GU's Team.

One thing to remember, they are all "True-Blue" Zags!

When I listen to Bilas and Shulman doing GU games, I normally turn off the volume and just watch the game as they constantly talked about up coming games or other teams or P-5 conferences (B10, B12, SEC, ACC or P12) and how good they are! Yes they do discuss GU but they just don't focus on the GU game or their opponent.

As much as I like Bill Walton he also goes "off-script" and starts talking about the distance from the earth to the moon or just how great the Conference of Champions really is...

No, at least our three-some stays on topic of GU/WCC or the occasional side tract of another local school...Idaho College or College of Idaho...but it is hard to fill 40+minutes of a ballgame that is a blow-out...

BTW...IMO...The best college basketball broadcast team was the three-some of Dick Enberg, Billy Packer and Al McGuire. Use to love McGuires quotes about the "Aircraft Carrier or Scrambled Eggs" and others but then again, I am an older fan and remember listening to those guys...

I hope none of our three current announcers are removed from the team as they "make" the games more interesting for me...I like listening to our "Homers!"

Hi Montana and Hoopaholic,
    I think there is the middle ground. Any product can be taken from where it is, with its pros and cons, to an improved level. For this, listening to constructive criticism can be helpful. Heister's enthusiasm and announcers energy, as well as knowledge base and obvious love of everything zags is wonderful. All professionals can improve their weak areas. His immature guy-friend ribbing brings the whole thing down for some (not all of us - good point). It is not just me, all of zag nation is reduced by this one-upmanship banter when some (not all) of the listeners find it low class.
    This will date me, and I wish i could remember names, but around the 1970's on a network local spokane news program the announcer was a nice guy, but so corny and unsophisticated. The network brought a team in to give him a make-over, and it solved the problem for everyone, including him as he moved about in his profession with much more comfort and ease.
    Montana, i don't think it has to be a love it or leave it type of product-situation. I think I love it so I want to improve it, fits my frame of mind closer. i am so grateful for this board, where we can all discuss our zags because we all enjoy this basketball program so much. All zag family, all zag community is such a good feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Hi Montana and Hoopaholic,
    I think there is the middle ground. Any product can be taken from where it is, with its pros and cons, to an improved level. For this, listening to constructive criticism can be helpful. Heister's enthusiasm and announcers energy, as well as knowledge base and obvious love of everything zags is wonderful. All professionals can improve their weak areas. His immature guy-friend ribbing brings the whole thing down for some (not all of us - good point). It is not just me, all of zag nation is reduced by this one-upmanship banter when some (not all) of the listeners find it low class.
    This will date me, and I wish i could remember names, but around the 1970's on a network local spokane news program the announcer was a nice guy, but so corny and unsophisticated. The network brought a team in to give him a make-over, and it solved the problem for everyone, including him as he moved about in his profession with much more comfort and ease.
    Montana, i don't think it has to be a love it or leave it type of product-situation. I think I love it so I want to improve it, fits my frame of mind closer. i am so grateful for this board, where we can all discuss our zags because we all enjoy this basketball program so much. All zag family, all zag community is such a good feeling.
    we can agree to disagree "all of zag nation" feels the way you do...there are some who enjoy it where I get frustrated is the cancel culture that society is currently engaged in...I dont like it therefore since i am all that matters that person MUST lose his job and I am going to call the powers to be to make sure this occurs.......
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

we can agree to disagree "all of zag nation" feels the way you do...there are some who enjoy it where I get frustrated is the cancel culture that society is currently engaged in...I dont like it therefore since i am all that matters that person MUST lose his job and I am going to call the powers to be to make sure this occurs.......
    Well put. How true in today's society.

How many actually asked for Heister to, "loose his job"?

You are not being hyperbolic, even a little bit, Hoops?
    Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

I just can't imagine being an AD -- trying to manage an athletic program in the middle of a pandemic with cratering revenues, health considerations, remote learning, game cancellations and rescheduling daily...and then fielding phone calls and emails from fans unhappy with the announcers.

I'm breaking my self-imposed posting hiatus to ask that Zag fans, regardless of your thoughts on the trio of broadcasters, please consider that perhaps there are more pressing issues for the GU athletic department, if not yourself, at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by DADoZAG View Post
    How many actually asked for Heister to, "loose his job"?

You are not being hyperbolic, even a little bit, Hoops?
    several on this thread several on the previous threads and not just Heister there are some who have called for removal of Dikau as well
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few