Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarification on Announcers

Default Clarification on Announcers

I know the thread on the announcers was closed, but I think this is important to clarify, just because there is some frustration in the recent posts with Gonzaga regarding the announcers.

I contacted someone in the athletic department, and he clarified that that the announcers are not Gonzaga employees or Gonzaga decisions.

Apparently the control over announcers for the local broadcasts is at KHQ. This is similar to radio, which is operated by IMG College as opposed to Gonzaga.

So our concerns would need to be addressed to KHQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonebone View Post
    I know the thread on the announcers was closed, but I think this is important to clarify, just because there is some frustration in the recent posts with Gonzaga regarding the announcers.

I contacted someone in the athletic department, and he clarified that that the announcers are not Gonzaga employees or Gonzaga decisions.

Apparently the control over announcers for the local broadcasts is at KHQ. This is similar to radio, which is operated by IMG College as opposed to Gonzaga.

So our concerns would need to be addressed to KHQ.
    I would have to think that a strong suggestion by Roth would be given an audience, esp if backed by complaints from fans.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I would have to think that a strong suggestion by Roth would be given an audience, esp if backed by complaints from fans.
    AD Roth told me last week he intended to speak with Heister and the producer, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    AD Roth told me last week he intended to speak with Heister and the producer, FWIW.
    Much appreciated Jazz.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Thanks for checking out the facts as to who makes the decision as to engaging the "talent." Hopefully KHQ will take viewer feedback into account. It seems to me from the comments here that GH critics (of which I'm one) would at least tolerate his broadcasts if he ditched antics like protracted attempts to belittle or bicker with DD and RF or compulsively make strained attempts at lame humor.

Apparently, his fans like what they see as corny-ness. If that was all it was (and it was more restrained), I suppose I could live with it.

Someone at KHQ should sit down with GH and go over examples like ones cited in numerous posts on this Board and appeal to him to try and improve the listener/viewer experience. I know if I got this kind of feedback from my customers/clients, I'd listen.

The dead horse lives on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cancel culture has arrived in zagville
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaZag View Post
    The dead horse lives on

If consumers are not satisfied with a product, over many years of letting the producer know, and the feedback is ignored, what are you saying?
    the right thing to do is never complain again?

I'm not quite sure why Heister gets all (or even the most) blame. Dickau is just as bad, but in a different way. Dickau frequently bad-mouths players (he hates Kispert's game, Ballo is out of shape, etc.) while singing his own praises. He also regularly insults Fox and Heister. Fox usually just ignores it and Heister tries to awkwardly talk it away, which is what evokes complaints from many folks. Heister is better with other broadcasters, so perhaps changing Dickau's negativity would result in an improvement for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    Thanks for checking out the facts as to who makes the decision as to engaging the "talent." Hopefully KHQ will take viewer feedback into account. It seems to me from the comments here that GH critics (of which I'm one) would at least tolerate his broadcasts if he ditched antics like protracted attempts to belittle or bicker with DD and RF or compulsively make strained attempts at lame humor.

Apparently, his fans like what they see as corny-ness. If that was all it was (and it was more restrained), I suppose I could live with it.

Someone at KHQ should sit down with GH and go over examples like ones cited in numerous posts on this Board and appeal to him to try and improve the listener/viewer experience. I know if I got this kind of feedback from my customers/clients, I'd listen.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    If consumers are not satisfied with a product, over many years of letting the producer know, and the feedback is ignored, what are you saying?
    Yes, the product is zags basketball, the packaging of said product is the issue. But until you are prepared to boycott the product, stop complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    cancel culture has arrived in zagville
    Weak

I’ve read a lot of specific examples as to why many believe Zags deserve a more professional play-by-play guy than Heister. If you disagree feel free to argue to the contrary.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Perhaps it's time for a divorce between Heister and Dickau. I've never been a fan of more than one analyst in the booth...the old "too many cooks spoil the broth".

I don’t want to cancel anybody. I just want to see the trio hold themselves to a higher level. Blow out games must be difficult to announce, but dig deeper for background stories, and engaging packages. Heister boarders on being a bully and Dickau comes across as a negative Nelly. The guiding principle in the booth should always be celebrate Gonzaga basketball.

Like TexasZagFan said... maybe a divorce needs to happen. Maybe it’s a rotation of 2 announcers. Maybe it’s bringing in a retired LadyZag voice for a new perspective. Something needs to be done when 2 random national ESPN announcers did a better job in the SF game in capturing the Zag spirit then our local guys.

They go out thinking their personalities alone can carry the day. They don't prepare anything beyond their own banter, which is 2nd rate. When they run out of things to say, they press the same dumb buttons that mean nothing to anyone but themselves. If they actually prepare something, it isn't displayed on the screen, which means the failure is not only theirs, but on a production level as well. I'm not going to pretend i know how to do their job, but I know what I see and it's a failure.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by drvenkman05 View Post
    I'm not quite sure why Heister gets all (or even the most) blame. Dickau is just as bad, but in a different way. Dickau frequently bad-mouths players (he hates Kispert's game, Ballo is out of shape, etc.) while singing his own praises. He also regularly insults Fox and Heister. Fox usually just ignores it and Heister tries to awkwardly talk it away, which is what evokes complaints from many folks. Heister is better with other broadcasters, so perhaps changing Dickau's negativity would result in an improvement for both.
    Kispert was suspect in previous years. He wasn't finishing (especially for his size) on his drives and would hesitate on open looks. Ballo could be in better shape.

I think Dickau has some good points and I appreciate his takes as an insider. When he critiques these kids, I don't think it's out of spite or envy. At this level of basketball, your weaknesses are constantly being pointed out because that's what scouts are doing. As for talking himself up, you can only count on yourself for self-promotion and he was very good.

Heister and Dickau are not good together. Heister is that one guy friend who was never good at playful ribbing of the other guys. There is an art to ragging on your friends/co-workers while keeping it light and funny. He does not have that skill. A mom joke from Heister is as likely to get a punch in the nose as a laugh.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    They go out thinking their personalities alone can carry the day. They don't prepare anything beyond their own banter, which is 2nd rate. When they run out of things to say, they press the same dumb buttons that mean nothing to anyone but themselves. If they actually prepare something, it isn't displayed on the screen, which means the failure is not only theirs, but on a production level as well. I'm not going to pretend i know how to do their job, but I know what I see and it's a failure.
    Nailed it. With Heisters familiarity with the team and players , he should be able to provide us with some good insights. Maybe try to be less funny / sarcastic and actually do a little homework for the game. He is the ring leader and I think Dan would be fine if they simple become a bit more professional. Fox is good IMHO the best of the bunch.

The others are capable but lazy? Same stories same clichés same pokes at one another etc. They simply need to raise their game. I am confident they are capable.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    That's a great idea but he should have had that meeting several years ago.....Also Mr. Roth should be having meetings with the people who control first dibs on these broadcasts and get those games that ESPN and CBS don't broadcast because there's money to be made.....National broadcast is what we want not ROOT or KHQ. Others in control of "OUR NATIONAL PRODUCT" should be told to go down the road. Cancel what ever binds us with them (or buy them out or cut them in)and tell the WCC what we want, or we'll leave. It worked last time! We have developed an incredible national product and many others are making $$ off us....Think bigger than EA. WA or NO. ID. Mr. Roth. Anything is possible. I also think that in a regular season we should schedule a couple of mutts and 10 other games (before WCC) and they should be exclusively with "Bluebloods". Wouldn't that be exciting and drive our national fan base through the roof. Our story is more amazing than any "Blueblood". Those are the same teams that were there 20 to 25 years ago (boring) and there is a new guy on the block......BLUEZAGS!

All this fussing about the TV announcers is much ado, as far as I'm concerned. I listen to Tom Hudson and Adam Morrison cover the games on the online radio, here: https://tunein.com/radio/KGA-1510-s32766/.

I used to listen on my regular radio but it was faster than the TV audio, so I switched to online, which slows down the audio to almost line up with the screen audio.

We only have 5 more games on ROOT Sports. It's doubtful Heister works all of them, as some of them conflict with Wazzu hoops, and Greggy works those games as well (sometimes). Be thankful that the Zags are on ESPN as much as they are.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Going back to my comments in the original thread addressing this issue: 3 announcers is 1 too many for starters. I don't see any other broadcasts crowding 2 color commentators into the booth with a play by play guy. The familiarity between these 3 is a big part of the problem in my opinion. Without throwing anyone under the bus, Heister & Dickau do a good job on Pac 12 games. Again, I am not singling out Foxy either. In fact he tries to keep things on a professional level while the other 2 resort to their banter with each trying for the last word. It really is time to address this and starting with AD Roth is probably the best avenue to implement a change.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Or the loudest consumers demanding change ...what about the consumers who are satisfied and continue to watch and not raise any concerns? Just because someone voices a loud feedback does not mean they speak for all or even the majaority
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Agree that crew should be two, rather than three. Let the three compete for two spots by, as was suggested above, going thru a couple rotations of alternating pairings. Let them each know they are competing for their job. If none of the rotations are markedly better than what we have now, look for 2 new faces to take over next fall. And yes, it should cost more upfront to land the right duo. It's well past time to elevate the level of broadcasting much closer to the level of teams the Zags put on the court year one spectacular season after another. (Clump-clump-clump: that's the sound of me stepping off my soapbox).
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Or the loudest consumers demanding change ...what about the consumers who are satisfied and continue to watch and not raise any concerns? Just because someone voices a loud feedback does not mean they speak for all or even the majaority
    After 15 years in my own practice i noticed a typo on a standard form i've used for as many years. It wasn't a big typo, but when i noticed it I was curious how many client's didn't care or didn't notice. None of them were kind enough to tell me of my typo. Maybe it's just me as a business owner, but I improve most from failure and feedback, despite how uncomfortable it may seem to some. I think the consensus is not that this team is terrible beyond repair. it's just they need to know that others are also interested in their performance, and in so expressing that desire....they care themselves and maybe put a bit more effort in.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    After 15 years in my own practice i noticed a typo on a standard form i've used for as many years. It wasn't a big typo, but when i noticed it I was curious how many client's didn't care or didn't notice. None of them were kind enough to tell me of my typo. Maybe it's just me as a business owner, but I improve most from failure and feedback, despite how uncomfortable it may seem to some. I think the consensus is not that this team is terrible beyond repair. it's just they need to know that others are also interested in their performance, and in so expressing that desire....they care themselves and maybe put a bit more effort in.
    Good post ... so true.
    "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    —Kurt Vonnegut

I love those guys, been listening for years. I love the way they rib each other. However, if we could get the near dead commercial zombie taken off i would rejoice.