Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next Year - Is anyone else just a little concerned

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    Would not be the least surprised at one or two huge transfer gets.
    There is still the number of schollies issue. Some people stay and some leave. We are hoping for Chet and Sallis, so unless more than two leave, there just sin't much room.
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
    Ayayi is an interesting one. He has been here four years, is a really good college player, and may leave. I’m just not sure he is an NBA guy. Just hoping that maybe, maybe, maybe he would want to come back and take over for Corey as the team leader.
    The fact that Ayayi is still so young despite being a redshirt junior makes me think this could be a possibility as he won’t turn 21 until March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Ayayi will seek greener pastures. The youngster has paid his dues as a Zag. To Europe or the NBA. I believe the NBA.Good luck to a great Zag.

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    The fact that Ayayi is still so young despite being a redshirt junior makes me think this could be a possibility as he won’t turn 21 until March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The NBA loves these youngsters. Room to grow.

Concerned is relative. Concerned we won’t be top 10 all season, yes. Concerned we will fall off so far we miss the dance, no.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Concerned is relative. Concerned we won’t be top 10 all season, yes. Concerned we will fall off so far we miss the dance, no.
    For the record I am not concerned that we will miss the dance. We haven't missed the dance in 20+ years and I do not think we will next year either. But I am a little concerned that we won't be quite as good as we have the been the last few years. What concerns me is the offense and where the scoring is going to come from. I have been a little disappointed with the offense coming from players not named Kispert, Suggs, Timme, Ayayi, and Nembhard. Ballo is not Timme or Petrusev and seems very slow and not mobile to me. I thought Watson's offense after shoulder clean up and what he did before the injury would be better. Our 3pt shooting from Harris and Strawther hopefully will improve. I guess what I am saying is that our offense coming off the bench has not been very good when given the opportunity. I am sure with this tough audience that I will get huge push back Just remember my original note stating how much I love this team and how talented it is. But I am concerned that we will be losing tons of talent and the next guys up will need more time to come close to where we have been. Go easy on me guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Yeah. This.

We're getting to the point where we're measuring a let down as falling below top 5 even (top 10 more realistically).

OTOH, and I know this is sacrilegious I know I know I know, but there have been more games that I've "not watched" this year than any year in the past bc it's just so obviously going to be a blow out and I think that will be true with all but at BYU, at Pepp, at ... what? That is really the curse of the WCC, that one can sort of to the point where you're really only looking forward to maybe 5 games left this year (and that's being really interested in a 1/8-9 game which I will be but with this team you still expect ... )

I know. I know I know

But that dynamic makes me kind of? Makes me want to cheer for a gritty team that wins with will-power over just flat mowing over even really good teams. All of that assumes we finally win an NC, and so of course this year matters more than any, any any any.

I know
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Yeah. This.

We're getting to the point where we're measuring a let down as falling below top 5 even (top 10 more realistically).

OTOH, and I know this is sacrilegious I know I know I know, but there have been more games that I've "not watched" this year than any year in the past bc it's just so obviously going to be a blow out and I think that will be true with all but at BYU, at Pepp, at ... what? That is really the curse of the WCC, that one can sort of to the point where you're really only looking forward to maybe 5 games left this year (and that's being really interested in a 1/8-9 game which I will be but with this team you still expect ... )

I know. I know I know

But that dynamic makes me kind of? Makes me want to cheer for a gritty team that wins with will-power over just flat mowing over even really good teams. All of that assumes we finally win an NC, and so of course this year matters more than any, any any any.

I know
    This doesn’t compute for me. Probably because I’m a crazed addict when it comes to Gonzaga basketball. I go into withdrawal if they don’t play a couple times a week. I really don’t care who it is that they are playing. There are so many reasons to watch besides the final score.

The entire season and the progression of it is of more interest to me than any one game. Watching individual players and their growth from game to game is fascinating. The refinement of team concepts on both offense and defense is amazing as the coaching staff implements sets throughout the season.

I’d love to see them get tested more in conference, but I guarantee their will be games that will leave you shaking your head. There isn’t a game on the schedule that they shouldn’t win. But, I bet there will be a couple that make your heart race. Who wants to miss that?

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    This doesn’t compute for me. Probably because I’m a crazed addict when it comes to Gonzaga basketball. I go into withdrawal if they don’t play a couple times a week. I really don’t care who it is that they are playing. There are so many reasons to watch besides the final score.

The entire season and the progression of it is of more interest to me than any one game. Watching individual players and their growth from game to game is fascinating. The refinement of team concepts on both offense and defense is amazing as the coaching staff implements sets throughout the season.

I’d love to see them get tested more in conference, but I guarantee their will be games that will leave you shaking your head. There isn’t a game on the schedule that they shouldn’t win. But, I bet there will be a couple that make your heart race. Who wants to miss that?
    Totally agree with you Markburn. I am very lucky to have an understanding wife. Our Thursday/Saturday schedule in league play revolves around the time of the game. And Saturday night is date night. but we work our schedule around the game whether they are playing BYU/St. Mary's/USF or Portland/Santa Clara. Watching Dixie State or NAU was just as much fun as Kansas, Iowa, UWV, or Virginia in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post

It doesn't make any sense to me, either. It's not like I want to feel this way. But that was the raw truth unloaded. I am wrong to feel it and know it. Just sort of confession almost.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    First of all let me preface my comment by saying how much I am enjoying the Zags this year. This is a special team - perhaps the best since I have been following Gonzaga basketball (2011) when my daughter entered Gonzaga as a freshman. I have very high hopes for this team and my enthusiasm is limitless. This is a team and i don't want to jinx it that is - National Championship good. You need both talent and luck to be the final team standing. They have the talent in spades, they need a little luck to stay completely healthy.

But as I look toward next year we need to make some assumptions. Let's assume that Suggs, Kispert, and Ayayi are for sure gone to the NBA as potential 1st rounders. I don't know what to think about Timme, Cook, and Nembhard. I will assume that Cook is gone as well as he will be 24 and can get started to be paid. Would he want to come back as a potential backup point guard? I also assume it is better than 50/50 that Timme might be tempted to test the NBA waters. I will assume that Nembhard is back to work on his shooting. So the assumption is Suggs, Timme, Kispert, Ayayi, and Cook gone. That is a lot of scoring to leave - Gonzaga has had the best offense a few years in a row now. Please argue my assumption on players coming back.

Let's also make the assumption that both Chet Holmgren and Hunter Sallis come to Gonzaga. That is a big and important assumption. Freshman are hard to gauge in terms of their impact. Suggs is the exception not the rule. Look at our recruiting success with freshman over the past several years but very few have come close to Suggs' impact. Can Holmgren and Sallis step in and be difference makers. Does Ballo become more mobile as the lead big and can he take over from where Timme and Petrusev were? Does next year's team have enough scoring? How does Watson, Strawther, and Harris develop from basically freshman to sophomores? Who will be the leader as Kispert is this year? You need that experoence. Next year's team will have talent but you also need that leader with experience. I am excited for next year - don't get me wrong. And Gonzaga always seems to reload and not rebuild. How do you all feel about next year? Please give me your thoughts - much appreciated.
    The worst recruiting year we had in the last decade was going into 2015-'16, and we lost to Syracuse in the S16 as an 11 seed. Assuming the worst, that Timme leaves, and Holmgren tells us to shove it, look at the roster coming back: Harris, Strawther, Ballo, Watson, then step off the ledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Good Lord- just enjoy this year- if we keep looking to next year, will not enjoy this year. Next year will take care of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonZag5 View Post
    Good Lord- just enjoy this year- if we keep looking to next year, will not enjoy this year. Next year will take care of itself.
    Oregon - Trust me, nobody is enjoying this year more than I am. NOBODY!!! If you read my original note I was just trying to gauge everyone's thoughts on next year. I do think next year will take care of itself - it always does with 20+ seasons invited to the big dance. Next year we will make it too. But let me be clear - looking ahead one year does not diminish my love for the team this year. Looking ahead one year does not diminish my enjoyment for what the team is accomplishing this year. Looking ahead one year does not diminish my passion for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonZag5 View Post
    this I havent even given an moment of thought for next year just enjoying each and every game and the players we have today
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    Oregon - Trust me, nobody is enjoying this year more than I am. NOBODY!!! If you read my original note I was just trying to gauge everyone's thoughts on next year. I do think next year will take care of itself - it always does with 20+ seasons invited to the big dance. Next year we will make it too. But let me be clear - looking ahead one year does not diminish my love for the team this year. Looking ahead one year does not diminish my enjoyment for what the team is accomplishing this year. Looking ahead one year does not diminish my passion for this year.
    We are just here to help you be in the presence.

In one word No.

I am not worried at all
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_eliZAG View Post
    I am not worried at all
    +1, I agree with our Irish Fan! I'm just here for the journey and what a rush it has been for the last two decades plus!

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

i am not concerned

This program develops players too well for me to be worried. Additionally, they are getting such a different level of recruit. I thing Suggs is a unicorn but players like Dom and Strawther should be really good next year and FewCo will be recruiting players on that level, moving forward, it seems to me. I personally think Ballo will be a star and will thrive in the pick and roll next year (especially if Nembhard is here) like Azabuike for Kansas last year, but with more back to the basket game.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    This program develops players too well for me to be worried. Additionally, they are getting such a different level of recruit. I thing Suggs is a unicorn but players like Dom and Strawther should be really good next year and FewCo will be recruiting players on that level, moving forward, it seems to me. I personally think Ballo will be a star and will thrive in the pick and roll next year (especially if Nembhard is here) like Azabuike for Kansas last year, but with more back to the basket game.
    This is not trying to be snarky-- legit question because I heard someone else with the Azabuike comp the other day. Outside of being a fellow big and foreign prospect, what has Oumar done this year to make you think he will be anywhere near as potent as Azabuike? I have seen a glimpse or two of being a decent contributor but Azabuike was in the conversation as national player of the year last year. Oumar seems lightyears away to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    This is not trying to be snarky-- legit question because I heard someone else with the Azabuike comp the other day. Outside of being a fellow big and foreign prospect, what has Oumar done this year to make you think he will be anywhere near as potent as Azabuike? I have seen a glimpse or two of being a decent contributor but Azabuike was in the conversation as national player of the year last year. Oumar seems lightyears away to me.
    I saw the comparison someone else made to Karno. I remember Karno's RS freshman year when he couldn't stay on his feet. By that metric, Ballo is ahead of Karno in RS freshman development. That's a positive sign. Between that and physical development, I'm high on Ballo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I saw Azubuike* as a guy who ran the pick and roll very well, and who was a gifted and prolific dunker with many jaw-dropping highlight dunks last year. He often looked unstoppable. I don't think Ballo has shown the ability to dunk in traffic and from so far away from the hoop like Azubuike did. What I do see is comparable body measurements. I see in Ballo so far a player with soft hands, good feet, thick body, touch around the rim, and solid pick and roll abilities (if you watch him off the ball in garbage time you can see him set good screens and roll adeptly to the basket). The staff has shown a commitment and ability to run very good pick and roll actions. I think that this combination of things will translate well to many easy buckets once he gets the feel down. Mark Few has called Nembhard "surgical," I believe, with his passing out of pick and roll. This contributes to my optimism. I will add that I think Ballo has upside with his post play due to his patience down low and track record of the staff with developing big men, and I predict that he will turn out better than Azubuike in this regard.

Azubuike's measurements: (Draftexpress.com)
    Height: 7'0"
    Weight: 270
    Arms: 7'5"

Ballo's measurements: (Gozags.com)
    Weight:260
    Arms: 7'6"

*My apologies for spelling his name wrong on many occasions (in many different ways; I think I have spelled it with every possible combination of a's and u's).

Where I differ on the Karnowski comparison is that he was an excellent passer and was more stout defensively (but this might have come later in his career)

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    I saw Azubuike* as a guy who ran the pick and roll very well, and who was a gifted and prolific dunker with many jaw-dropping highlight dunks last year. He often looked unstoppable. I don't think Ballo has shown the ability to dunk in traffic and from so far away from the hoop like Azubuike did. What I do see is comparable body measurements. I see in Ballo so far a player with soft hands, good feet, thick body, touch around the rim, and solid pick and roll abilities (if you watch him off the ball in garbage time you can see him set good screens and roll adeptly to the basket). The staff has shown a commitment and ability to run very good pick and roll actions. I think that this combination of things will translate well to many easy buckets once he gets the feel down. Mark Few has called Nembhard "surgical," I believe, with his passing out of pick and roll. This contributes to my optimism. I will add that I think Ballo has upside with his post play due to his patience down low and track record of the staff with developing big men, and I predict that he will turn out better than Azubuike in this regard.

Azubuike's measurements: (Draftexpress.com)
    Weight: 270
    Arms: 7'5"

Ballo's measurements: (Gozags.com)
    Weight:260
    Arms: 7'6"

*My apologies for spelling his name wrong on many occasions (in many different ways; I think I have spelled it with every possible combination of a's and u's).

Where I differ on the Karnowski comparison is that he was an excellent passer and was more stout defensively (but this might have come later in his career)
    one very very big difference between ballo and doke (short for udoka)
    at this years draft combine, doke shattered the standing leap vertical record for centers at 37.0" !!!
    that's over 3 feet and better than almost all nba guards...
    for comparison sake, the highest standing vert measured in the entire 2017 combine was 36.5" from donovan mitchell, one of the most explosive guards in the league.
    widely considered one of the most athletic bigs in the league, bam adebayo only measured 33.5"
    they also measured doke's wingspan at 7'7-1/4"
    if anyone should have the nickname baby shaq, it would be him...if this was 20 years ago, doke would've been a top 3 draft pick, probably #1

ballo won't be anywhere near the dunker and rim protector that doke became, but he should develop a much better back to the basket game.

edited to add: just looked up brandon clarke's combine result = 34.5" standing vert
    Last edited by WallaWallaZag; 01-06-2021 at 11:43 AM. Reason: bc

37" inches is ridiculous, and helps explain some of his amazing plays last year. Wow. I guess you don't bother to develop many offensive moves when you can just jump over people.