• Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs San Francisco Post Game thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga 85
    San Francisco 62

Zags played well. Both halves. Didn't shoot many threes. They made 5-15. Made 20-26 Free Throws. Good.

Kispert led the Zags in scoring with 25, Ayayi had 18 and ten boards, Timme 10 and 11 boards and Nembhard got 14. Watson had a solid game with 8 points.

The Zags scored 47 first half points and kind of coasted the rest of the way. They had their engines screaming as they put the pedal to the medal. Gonzaga can really run when they want to. It's really so beautiful the way they pass and make one layup after another. Both Ayayi and Timme had doubles which was great to see both of them rebounding. It was pretty close most of the first half. USF's guards were looking really good, but in the second half Gonzaga really shut down USF's office down. They held USF to 25 second half points and I think six of those came in the last 3 minutes when the 2nd team was in. Zags really played great D the second half.

I was really happy the way the Zags played. It looked like almost a perfect game. I have a healthy fear of San Fran, and believe it will be tougher in their place.

Go Zags!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • SorenTodd45
    Banned
    • Jan 2019

Tight first half, and that's okay. Corey's magical 3 at the end of the first half set the tone though. We came out focused in the 2nd half, and I noticed the ESPN guys drifted a bit when we were up by 20. That's okay too. We showed the nation on NATIONAL TV that we are #1 for a reason!

Comment

• scrooner
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Thank goodness for WCC refs or this game would have been a boring blowout.

Comment

• GonzaGAW
        Zag for Life
        • Aug 2012

- i know the nation will never give the wcc its due, but usf played us as tough if not tougher than did kansas, iowa or virginia........and on our home court no less.

- love suggs energy, toughness and effort, but gosh i wish he'd stop careening out of bounds for loose balls. this time he banged up his shooting thumb, not that it kept him out on the game, but i hold my breath when he does this given his early injuries this season.

- anyone know why cook did not play? love to know, hope he is alright.

- watson still missing 3's, and no this is not a complaint, each shot was an open look, a shot that needed to be taken, just glad he is not afraid to take the shot.

- really liked the tougher defense in the second half.

Comment

• drvenkman05
          Banned
          • Dec 2012

Kispert is exceptional and yet Dickau still hates his game.

Comment

• MickMick
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

Joel Ayayi is blowing my mind.
            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by drvenkman05 View Post
              Dickau sung Kispert's praises in his podcast the other day.

ETA: I'm curious if you have heard him trash on him lately?

Comment

• SorenTodd45
                Banned
                • Jan 2019

It's my understanding that D-Train is calling the Wazzu game tonite.

Comment

• Section 116
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

A little trivia I stumbled across this evening: Gonzaga: The Zags went 26-1 during calendar 2020, covering parts of two abbreviated seasons, with the only loss at BYU in February. And yes Dickau and Heister are calling the game currently airing on the PAC12 network!

More trivia: Gonzaga is the first team since Arkansas in 1993-94 to score 85 points in each of its first 10 games of a season.

That team won the National Championship.

Comment

• Zags11
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                    Dickau sung Kispert's praises in his podcast the other day.

ETA: I'm curious if you have heard him trash on him lately?
                    No i haven't heard any bad mouthing of kispert by dickau lately.

Comment

• drvenkman05
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2012

Considering he never apologized for his “hot mic” comments (which were not reflective of what he said when he knew he was being heard), I have no reason to believe he still doesn’t have separate public and private opinions.

No matter, Kispert continues to show how buffoonish those comments were!

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
                      No i haven't heard any bad mouthing of kispert by dickau lately.

Comment

• zagzilla
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Dons played well especially when cutting and on dribble penetration in the first half. Bouyea would be an NBA prospect if he was bigger. Bio says 6"2" but he doesn't look like it. Teamed with Shabazz (started quickly but finished just 2-10), they are speedy and dangerous; albeit undersized. USF does lack a credible post threat to complement their backcourt, however.

Two Zags with double/doubles plus Kispert's heroics were the highlights before giving way to the second unit. Ballo had an off night and Suggs was a mix of amazing and a couple of frosh lapses on defense. Team had 15 turnovers to go with 15 assist on 30 made FG's-all a bit worse than season averages. We still scored 85 points on a night when we were good but not great and that's bad news for our opponents.

I feel like every game that actually gets played is a blessing at this point

ZZ

Comment

• Zags11
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2008

Considering he never apologized for his “hot mic” comments (which were not reflective of what he said when he knew he was being heard), I have no reason to believe he still doesn’t have separate public and private opinions.

No matter, Kispert continues to show how buffoonish those comments were!
                          At the time? No they weren't. He was being honest. Now? He hasn't said anything.

Comment

• krozman
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2008

People say dumb crap all the time. I'm only concerned whoever produces this show isn't honest with themselves or has a complete lack of alternative options when it comes to showcasing the game on local TV, because that combo isn't getting better at all.
                            Krozman
                            GU student 1996-2000
                            Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• rawkmandale
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickMick View Post
                              Joel Ayayi is blowing my mind.
                              Yep. Mine too. I think that is why he gets mega minutes on the floor. Coaches see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X