Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garbage time

Can we change the term to something other than “garbage time”. Maybe “mop up minutes” or any term less degrading. I’m no snowflake but garbage time seems kinda harsh .

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    Harris reminds me of freshman Zach Norvell from the 3 pt line
    Or Norvell at any point in his GU tenure.

You guys are way off. Both of these guys are playing at warp speed because that’s how they have played all their lives. They will learn to slow down and pick their spots. Right now, every shot they put up seemed to be a good idea at the time in their minds. If you watch them play with the rotation guys they are a little more disciplined because everyone is on the same page. Playing in the late stages of a blowout they are immensely more talented than the opponents and are shooting because they are open and have taken those shots throughout high school and on their summer teams. Also, their teammates aren’t cutting and playing instinctive ball like the rotation players. Passing is a helluva lot easier when Joel is sneaking back door or Cory is barreling down the lane. I’ll give you the Ballo thing, but still, if you look at those sets, the other players were just standing around waiting for something to happ. It clogged up the natural flow that creates better angles for post entry passes.

The only thing not happening for Harris and Strawther is having the ball go through the hole. On the defensive side, I think Harris is going to be very good. Why? Because he wants to. Watch his stance and effort.

By the end of the WCC season these two guys will grow leaps and bounds. The upside is tremendous and the coaching staff has an incredible record of developing talent.

This thread gets the "lone star" from the Lone Star State.

Default GARBAGE TIME

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    You guys are way off. Both of these guys are playing at warp speed because that’s how they have played all their lives. They will learn to slow down and pick their spots. Right now, every shot they put up seemed to be a good idea at the time in their minds. If you watch them play with the rotation guys they are a little more disciplined because everyone is on the same page. Playing in the late stages of a blowout they are immensely more talented than the opponents and are shooting because they are open and have taken those shots throughout high school and on their summer teams. Also, their teammates aren’t cutting and playing instinctive ball like the rotation players. Passing is a helluva lot easier when Joel is sneaking back door or Cory is barreling down the lane. I’ll give you the Ballo thing, but still, if you look at those sets, the other players were just standing around waiting for something to happ. It clogged up the natural flow that creates better angles for post entry passes.

The only thing not happening for Harris and Strawther is having the ball go through the hole. On the defensive side, I think Harris is going to be very good. Why? Because he wants to. Watch his stance and effort.

By the end of the WCC season these two guys will grow leaps and bounds. The upside is tremendous and the coaching staff has an incredible record of developing talent.

Agree Markburn1. Harris and Strawther would look like more using the offense of the other garbage time players played like the rotation players.

I've watched a lot of Div I games this year (nothing else to do) and I see a lot of Div I teams standing around and waiting for the opportunity to go "one on one."
    That's the difference in Few's coaching and team (plus the skill and commitment of the players) to be moving almost constantly. Watson is getting better but he needs to
    be moving more. Finally Watson took a shot last night. He had many opportunities at the head of the key to shoot and he passed them up.

Still Harris and Strawther should be making those shots they chuck up.

My biggest gripe with Harris is shot selection. Well, that and being a black hole from which the ball only heads towards the rim.
    He's got the tools, just needs to be better between the ears. He's playing like he's afraid of not being drafted this year or something when he's clearly at least 2 years away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    My biggest gripe with Harris is shot selection. Well, that and being a black hole from which the ball only heads towards the rim.
    He's got the tools, just needs to be better between the ears. He's playing like he's afraid of not being drafted this year or something when he's clearly at least 2 years away from that.
    So, other than that, you’re ok? ....and four years, maybe.

meh, it's 'garbage time', pretty hard to pass judgment on anything imo

But it's also true that as a guard with the ball in your hands, if a big works hard to get open in the post and succeeds but the ball is not delivered, guess what happens...the big stops working that hard. Or a big runs the floor hard to get open, succeeds, and the ball is not delivered, guess what happens...the big stops running the floor so hard. the ball must be delivered when the big gets open. it's Basketball 101 without going into why

I get that Strawther and Harris are young guards, nothing new there with their play, I dig watching them go for it! but they don't play like that in non 'garbage time' so they know better imo and I don't buy any excuse for their decision making in 'garbage time' except that they are calling their own number becasue they can; in non 'garbage time' they show that they get it, for the most part, even as freshman. BUT it's 'garbage time' and they are looking to get on the scoring sheet, make plays, do stuff...normal!!!

Why didn't Pavel feed Ballo when he was open hi lo? Pavel's no freshman. Oh, that's right, it's 'garbage time' and folks are out there looking to get theirs...normal

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    meh, it's 'garbage time', pretty hard to pass judgment on anything imo

But it's also true that as a guard with the ball in your hands, if a big works hard to get open in the post and succeeds but the ball is not delivered, guess what happens...the big stops working that hard. Or a big runs the floor hard to get open, succeeds, and the ball is not delivered, guess what happens...the big stops running the floor so hard. the ball must be delivered when the big gets open. it's Basketball 101 without going into why

I get that Strawther and Harris are young guards, nothing new there with their play, I dig watching them go for it! but they don't play like that in non 'garbage time' so they know better imo and I don't buy any excuse for their decision making in 'garbage time' except that they are calling their own number becasue they can; in non 'garbage time' they show that they get it, for the most part, even as freshman. BUT it's 'garbage time' and they are looking to get on the scoring sheet, make plays, do stuff...normal!!!

Why didn't Pavel feed Ballo when he was open hi lo? Pavel's no freshman. Oh, that's right, it's 'garbage time' and folks are out there looking to get theirs...normal
    Congrats, BBB, you’ve taken all three sides of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Terrible Trio is a cute but errant collective term. Suggs is a top 5 now and Harris and Straw will be four year players.

Harris is shooting 39% and 25% for the record. Straw 46% but zero, 0-8.
    You are correct. It is the Tricky Trio. You have a flair for trying to be cute, but ending up in error. Like repeatedly insisting the Jalen Suggs would never play a minute of ball at GU.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Congrats, BBB, you’ve taken all three sides of the question.
    someone had to do it

Harris will be fine... if he stays within the team concept. He has a chance to be part of the most exciting backcourt next year w Sallis and maybe Nembhard or Cook. From an outsiders perspective who follows him and his people on social media, there does seem to be quite a bit of Dom promotion. I do hope he stays within the team concept. If he does he is a future pro, sometime within the next few years.

Regarding garbage time, we do have to realize that most times the possessions are dwindling down with no one wanting to take the shot. This often leads to a dom or Ju jack up. As I stated earlier, it would just be nice to see more of them go in. So far most of what I have seen is just ZN on a bad night... over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Club Prez View Post
    You are correct. It is the Tricky Trio. You have a flair for trying to be cute, but ending up in error. Like repeatedly insisting the Jalen Suggs would never play a minute of ball at GU.
    Stand corrected. And you are who again?

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Harris will be fine... if he stays within the team concept. He has a chance to be part of the most exciting backcourt next year w Sallis and maybe Nembhard or Cook. From an outsiders perspective who follows him and his people on social media, there does seem to be quite a bit of Dom promotion. I do hope he stays within the team concept. If he does he is a future pro, sometime within the next few years.

Regarding garbage time, we do have to realize that most times the possessions are dwindling down with no one wanting to take the shot. This often leads to a dom or Ju jack up. As I stated earlier, it would just be nice to see more of them go in. So far most of what I have seen is just ZN on a bad night... over and over.
    And there were plenty of those.

It's a completely legitimate position, and not without some subtlety, to simultaneously hold that a) watching Harris and Strawther play with the second/third units can be at times difficult to watch and b) they are talented, highly coachable kids who will be more than fine with more reps and time in the program.

Why do I feel a thread lock coming on LOL
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    It's a completely legitimate position, and not without some subtlety, to simultaneously hold that a) watching Harris and Strawther play with the second/third units can be at times difficult to watch and b) they are talented, highly coachable kids who will be more than fine with more reps and time in the program.

Why do I feel a thread lock coming on LOL
    Your Solomonic comment certainly would not contribute to it being locked. Take a stand, man!