Thread: Notable Passages: 2021

Moody Blues drummer, co-founder Graeme Edge dies at 80

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...es-80-81124463
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

80?

Man..............
    But we don't play nobody.

It was a few days ago....but Lisa Rinna's mom.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Bob Bondurant, a master racecar driver who was better known for his driving school in California and later in Arizona, where he tutored actors like Paul Newman, Tom Cruise and Christian Bale for their onscreen racing roles, died on Nov. 12 in Paradise Valley, Ariz. He was 88.

Mr. Bondurant began attracting attention in the racing world in 1959, when he won 18 of the 20 races he entered behind the wheel of a Corvette.

Bill Virdon was one of the major leagues’ smoothest-fielding center fielders of the 1950s and early ’60s. He managed four teams, winning division championships with the Pittsburgh Pirates and Houston Astros and bringing a surprising Yankee team to the brink of one. But many remember him most for hitting a seemingly routine ground ball that was anything but: It sent the Pirates on their way to a dramatic Game 7 victory over the Yankees in the 1960 World Series.

Often described as “bespectacled,” given the relative rarity of ballplayers with eyeglasses, Virdon, who died at 90 on Tuesday, was the National League’s rookie of the year with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1955 but spent almost his entire career with the Pirates, playing alongside the future Hall of Fame right fielder Roberto Clemente.

My very 1st baseball memory, Game 7 of the 1960 World Series. Had the Yankees.

Stephen Sondheim, Titan of the American Musical, Is Dead at 91

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/26/t...heim-dead.html
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Hall of Famer Claude Humphrey, a longtime defensive end for the Atlanta Falcons, has died at the age of 77. He died on Friday night, one of his family members told the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"The entire Pro Football Hall of Fame family mourns the passing of Claude Humphrey," Hall of Fame president Jim Porter said in a statement. "Known as a hard worker and a reliable teammate, Humphrey was always willing to help the team out wherever needed and knew success was achieved collectively. His humble spirit guided him on and off the field."

Default Bob Dole

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/05/polit...ies/index.html

Bob Dole, a Republican Party stalwart and presidential hopeful who espoused a brand of plain-spoken conservativism as one of Washington's most recognizable political figures throughout the latter half of the 20th century, died Sunday.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

R.I.P. Eddie Mekka, Carmine "The Big Ragu" Ragusa from Laverne & Shirley.

https://www.metv.com/stories/rip-edd...averne-shirley

Michael Nesmith, Singer, Songwriter and Guitarist of The Monkees, Dies at 78.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...es-1235060806/

A Texan whose mother invented Liquid Paper, the Grammy winner also founded a multimedia company through which he created the prototype for MTV and produced several films, most notably the 1984 cult classic Repo Man.

Demaryius Thomas, 33
    Bring back the OCC

Al Unser Sr., one of only four drivers to win the Indianapolis 500 four times and a stalwart of one of auto racing’s most accomplished families, died on Thursday at his home in Chama, N.M. He was 82.

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway announced the death and said Unser had had cancer for the past 17 years.

Quiet, at times gruff, Unser was considered one of the smartest drivers on the track, a man with endless reservoirs of patience and a savvy sense for when to hold back and when to barrel ahead.

“The way I assess a great driver is someone who you have to deal with, race in and race out, and Al is one of those,” Mario Andretti, who raced against Unser for decades, said in an interview.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Unser

'Interview with the Vampire' author Anne Rice dies at age 80

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/12/enter...bit/index.html
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)

Joan Didion, whose mordant dispatches on California culture and the chaos of the 1960s established her as a leading exponent of the New Journalism, and whose novels “Play It as It Lays” and “The Book of Common Prayer” proclaimed the arrival of a tough, terse, distinctive voice in American fiction, died on Thursday at her home in Manhattan. She was 87.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/23/b...dion-dead.html

Nobel laureate and anti-apartheid activist Rev. Desmond Tutu. Met him at GU many years ago. Kind man.

Sadly, the the most publicized connection between Rev. Tutu and Gonzaga was that some people protested his presence as commencement speaker at GU in '12. Thankfully, the Jesuit tradition prevailed.

Related, and prescient (from Gonzaga.edu blog):

Desmond Tutu tells a parable – with which I am taking many liberties – about a village built along a river. One morning, villagers notice people – men, women, children – floating down the river, drowning. The villagers run to the riverbank and together start pulling the people out, one after another after another. This continues for hours and as villagers look upstream, there is no sign of stopping.

As people continue to float down, the villagers develop systems and procedures to most efficiently pull people out. But there are more people floating than helping and despite their every effort, they can’t catch everyone, and while many pass them by, still more approach.

The point of the parable, Tutu says, is that there comes a time when we have to stop pulling people out of the river, and go upstream to find out why they are falling in.

Nobel Prize-winning anti-apartheid hero Desmond Tutu dies aged 90

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa...90-2021-12-26/

A little information about this Nobel Peace Prize laureate.

Artist Wayne Thiebaud, whose luscious, colorful paintings of cakes and San Francisco cityscapes combined sensuousness, nostalgia and a hint of melancholy, has died. He was 101.

His death was confirmed in a statement Sunday by his gallery, Acquavella, which didn’t say where or when Thiebaud died.

“Even at 101 years old, he still spent most days in the studio, driven by, as he described with his characteristic humility, ‘this almost neurotic fixation of trying to learn to paint,’” the gallery’s statement said.

The dean of California painters, Thiebaud drew upon his earlier career as a Disney animator, sign painter and commercial artist.

Richard Marcinko, the founder and first commander of Seal Team 6.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/rich...nder-obituary/
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

RIP John Madden, Age 85.

“If you think about it, I've never held a job in my life. I went from being an NFL player to a coach to a broadcaster. I haven't worked a day in my life.”

- John Madden.

Harry M. Reid, a Power in the Senate, Dies at 82

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/28/u...reid-dead.html

Gonzaga Law School Graduate and former Chief Justice of the Washington State Supreme Court, Hon. Mary E. Fairhurst, age 64.

https://www.judges.org/news-and-info...fairhurst-ret/

The former chief justice’s struggle with cancer began 12 years ago when she was diagnosed with Stage 2 colon cancer, which progressed to Stage 4 and entered her lungs. After treatment she eventually experienced a period with no evidence of the disease, but it returned two years ago. The cancer had spread to four organs.

By the end of 2019, she was too fatigued to continue on the bench. But that didn’t mean she was giving up.

“I wrote to the governor (informing him of the decision to retire) and said ‘I’m not going home to die, I’m going home to get better,’ and that’s what I feel I’m doing.”

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas