Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Notable Passages: 2021

Gavin MacLeod, 'Love Boat' captain, dies at 90

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment..._headlines_hed
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

B.J. Thomas, 78. Singer best known for Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head and Hooked on a Feeling.

'Hooked on a Feeling' singer B.J. Thomas dies at 78

Missed it by THAT much! LOL

F. Lee Bailey, Lawyer for Patty Hearst and O.J. Simpson, Dies at 87

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/03/u...?smid=tw-share
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Clarence Williams III, Linc on ‘The Mod Squad,’ Dies at 81.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...81-1234963703/

Williams also displayed a flair for comedy, playing a former leader of the People’s Revolutionary Army in Keenen Ivory Wayans’ blaxploitation parody I’m Gonna Git You Sucka (1988) and the maniacal drug lord Samson Simpson in the classic Half-Baked (1998), starring Dave Chappelle.

An actor with an exceptionally broad breadth of ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Club Prez View Post
    Clarence Williams III, Linc on ‘The Mod Squad,’ Dies at 81..
    "Solid."
    But we don't play nobody.

Ned Beatty, the indelible character actor whose first film role as a genial vacationer raped by a backwoodsman in 1972′s “Deliverance” launched him on a long, prolific and accomplished career, has died

Liked Ned.

Donald Rumsfeld, age 88, former Defense Secretary under Presidents Ford (1975-77) and GW Bush ( 01-06 ). Ironically, while serving in Congress, he was a leading co-sponsor of the Freedom of Information Act.

Richard Donner, the tough, single-minded but playful film director who made Christopher Reeve’s Superman fly, Mel Gibson’s deranged detective lethal and the young stars of “The Goonies” pirate-adorable, died on Monday. He was 91.

His production company and his wife and producing partner, Lauren Shuler Donner, confirmed the death with Hollywood trade publications. They did not say where he died or give the cause.

Mr. Donner was in his late 40s when he made his first blockbuster, “Superman,” reviving a comic-book hero who hadn’t been seen onscreen since the 1950s television series “Adventures of Superman.” The film opened in 1978, introducing Mr. Reeve, a relative unknown at the time, as the Man of Steel and some state-of-the-art special effects.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Terry Donahue, who became the face of football at U.C.L.A. as a player and coach, staying in the latter position for 20 years and leading the school to seven consecutive bowl-winning seasons in the 1980s, died on Sunday at his home in Newport Beach, Calif. He was 77.

The cause was cancer, U.C.L.A. said.

Donahue won more games than any other coach in the school’s and the Pac-12 Conference’s history, and he ended his career with a winning record against each of the conference’s teams, including the Bruins’ crosstown rival, the University of Southern California Trojans.

President Jovenel Moïse of Haiti was assassinated in an attack in the early hours of Wednesday at his home on the outskirts of the capital, Port-au-Prince, the interim prime minister said, creating a political void that threatens to deepen the turmoil that had gripped the country for months. He was 53.

Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

'Kansas' rock violinist, singer Robby Steinhardt, dies at 71

Bummer. Robbie had a decent voice too. RIP.

Jackie Mason, whose staccato, arm-waving delivery and thick Yiddish accent kept the borscht belt style of comedy alive long after the Catskills resorts had shut their doors, and whose career reached new heights in the 1980s with a series of one-man shows on Broadway, died on Saturday in Manhattan.

Mr. Mason’s death, at a hospital, was confirmed by his longtime friend, the lawyer Raoul Felder, who said the comedian was 93.

Mr. Mason regarded the world around him as a nonstop assault on common sense and an affront to his personal sense of dignity. Gesturing frantically, his forefinger jabbing the air, he would invite the audience to share his sense of disbelief and inhabit, if only for an hour, his very thin skin.

“I used to be so self-conscious,” he once said, “that when I attended a football game, every time the players went into a huddle, I thought they were talking about me.” Recalling his early struggles as a comic, he said, “I had to sell furniture to make a living — my own.”

Robert Parris Moses, a civil rights activist who endured beatings and jail while leading black voter registration drives in the American South during the 1960s and later helped improve minority education in math, has died

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/..._headlines_hed

Dusty Hill, the bearded bassist with American blues-rock band ZZ Top, has died, according to the band's official website. He was 72.

"We are saddened by the news today that our Compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston, TX," the statement, from surviving members Frank Beard and Billy Gibbons, said. "We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the 'Top'."

Pioneering TV pitchman Ron Popeil dies at age 86

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/us/ro...ead/index.html
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Chuck E. Weiss, blues musician, club owner and outsize Los Angeles character who was immortalized in Rickie Lee Jones’s breakout hit song, “Chuck E.’s in Love,” died on July 20 at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles. He was 76.

His brother, Byron, said the cause was kidney failure.

Mr. Weiss was a voracious musicologist, an encyclopedia of obscure jazz and early R&B artists, a drummer, a songwriter and a widely acknowledged rascal who in the mid-1970s landed in Los Angeles from his native Denver with his friend the singer-songwriter Tom Waits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/30/a...eiss-dead.html

Bobby Bowden, the longtime Florida State football coach who ranks second all time in Division I wins, has died, the school announced Sunday morning.

He was 91.

"My father passed away peacefully early this morning with all six of his children and my mother here by his side," Bowden's son Terry said in a statement. "I couldn't have asked for a better personal mentor than my father. He was a wonderful husband and father, who relied on his strong Christian faith to provide the foundation for his life. I also was fortunate to be raised by a football coach who had a reputation for coaching the right way his entire career. He was admired by everyone who played for him or coached against him."