Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Notable Passages: 2021

Marvin Hagler, Age 66, was an American former professional boxer and film actor who competed in boxing from 1973 to 1987. He reigned as undisputed middleweight champion from 1980 to 1987,[3] making twelve successful defenses of that title, and holds the highest knockout percentage of all undisputed middleweight champions, at 78%, while also holding the Third-longest unified championship reign in boxing history at twelve consecutive defenses. At six years and seven months, his reign as undisputed middleweight champion is the second-longest of the last century, behind only Tony Zale, whose reign included several years of inactivity during his service in World War II. In 1982, annoyed that network announcers often did not refer to him by his nickname "Marvelous", Hagler legally changed his name to "Marvelous Marvin Hagler".[4]

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Marvin Hagler, Age 66, was an American former professional boxer and film actor who competed in boxing from 1973 to 1987. He reigned as undisputed middleweight champion from 1980 to 1987,[3] making twelve successful defenses of that title, and holds the highest knockout percentage of all undisputed middleweight champions, at 78%, while also holding the Third-longest unified championship reign in boxing history at twelve consecutive defenses. At six years and seven months, his reign as undisputed middleweight champion is the second-longest of the last century, behind only Tony Zale, whose reign included several years of inactivity during his service in World War II. In 1982, annoyed that network announcers often did not refer to him by his nickname "Marvelous", Hagler legally changed his name to "Marvelous Marvin Hagler".[4]
    Marvelous' Marvin Hagler dies ...
    He was so good. Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns, Roberto Durán and Marvelous' Marvin Hagler was a ridiculous foursome. We will never see anything like it again. EVER!

Yaphet Kotto, 'Alien' and 'Homicide: Life on the Street' actor, dead at 81

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/16/enter...tto/index.html
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Terrific actor.
    But we don't play nobody.

Elgin Baylor, highflying Hall of Famer for the Los Angeles Lakers, dies at 86

Growing up in the DC area, I got to see Elgin Baylor play many times during the summers at various outdoor basketball courts like Rose Park, Turkey Thicket and Kalorama Park in the late 50s and early 60s...He was a magician on the court...

http://www.dcbasketball.com/dave-mck...s-a-writer.php

RIP, Mr. Baylor.

Baylor was the most graceful athlete I ever saw...

‘Virginia Woolf,’ ‘Goldbergs’ star George Segal dies at 87

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment..._headlines_hed
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Dr. Bobby Brown, who won four World Series rings as a Yankees third baseman during a playing career that spanned parts of eight seasons, and who later went on to serve in the Korean War, become a respected cardiologist and, finally, president of the American League, died Thursday at the age of 96.

Born in Seattle, Brown attended Stanford University and UCLA and then earned his medical degree at Tulane University. He signed with the Yankees in 1946 and played in seven late-season games for the Yankees that year. A left-handed hitter, Brown was part of a platoon at third base, first with Billy Johnson and then with Gil McDougald.

Though he finished his career a .279 hitter with little power (22 home runs) but with a .376 on-base percentage and only 88 strikeouts in 1,863 plate appearances, Brown shined brightest in October, hitting .439 (18-for-41) with three triples and nine RBIs in 17 World Series games. He hit a bases-loaded triple in Game 4 and a two-run triple in the decisive Game 5 of the '49 World Series.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/dr-bobby-br...president-dies

Jessica Walter, ‘Arrested Development’ and ‘Archer’ Star, Dies at 80

https://variety.com/2021/film/obitua...er-1234938246/
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)

Quote Originally Posted by Rangerzag View Post
    Jessica Walter, ‘Arrested Development’ and ‘Archer’ Star, Dies at 80

https://variety.com/2021/film/obitua...er-1234938246/
    Her role of a psychotic fan in "Play Misty For Me" was memorable.

Larry McMurtry, a prolific novelist and screenwriter who demythologized the American West with his unromantic depictions of life on the 19th-century frontier and in contemporary small-town Texas, died on Thursday at home in Archer City, Texas. He was 84.

The cause was congestive heart failure, said Diana Ossana, his friend and writing partner.

Over more than five decades, Mr. McMurtry wrote more than 30 novels and many books of essays, memoir and history. He also wrote more than 30 screenplays, including the one for “Brokeback Mountain” (written with Ms. Ossana, based on a short story by Annie Proulx), for which he won an Academy Award in 2006.

But he found his greatest commercial and critical success with “Lonesome Dove,” a sweeping 843-page novel about two retired Texas Rangers who drive a herd of stolen cattle from the Rio Grande to Montana in the 1870s. The book won a Pulitzer Prize in 1986 and was made into a popular television mini-series.

Howard Schnellenberger, age 87, led Miami to its first NC in 1983 and was the OC of the undefeated 1972 Super Bowl Champs, the Mimi Dolphins. Coached 27 seasons as a Division I head coach from 1979-2011, he had a 6-0 bowl game record

I check this every day to see if I have passed.....notable or otherwise....

Hans Küng, a Roman Catholic theologian and priest whose brilliantly disputatious, lucidly expressed thoughts in more than 50 books and countless speeches advanced ecumenism and provoked the Vatican to censure him, died on Tuesday at his home in Tübingen, Germany. He was 93.

The death was confirmed by Nadja Dornis, a spokeswoman for the Global Ethic Foundation, which promotes Dr. Küng’s ideas.

Dr. Küng, who as an 11-year-old Swiss boy knew he wanted to be a priest, stood at the center of Christianity’s great upheavals in the latter half of the 20th century. His relentless challenges to the church hierarchy caused his critics to call him the greatest threat to the church since Martin Luther, even the Antichrist.

Representative Alcee Hastings, a former federal judge who, despite being impeached and removed from the bench, was elected to Congress, where he championed civil rights and rose to become dean of the Florida delegation, died on Tuesday. He was 84.

Lale Morrison, his chief of staff, confirmed the death. He provided no other details.

Mr. Hastings, a Democrat, had announced in early 2019 that he had pancreatic cancer. He continued to make public appearances for a time but was unable to travel to Washington in January to take the oath of office.

Isamu Akasaki, a Japanese physicist who helped develop blue light-emitting diodes, a breakthrough in the development of LEDs that earned him a Nobel Prize and transformed the way the world is illuminated, died on Thursday in a hospital in Nagoya, Japan. He was 92.

Dr. Akasaki shared the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2014 with Hiroshi Amano of Japan and Shuji Nakamura of the University of California, Santa Barbara. Their invention of blue light-emitting diodes led the way for a vast wave of light sources that are cheaper, more durable and environmentally safer than incandescent and fluorescent bulbs.

Prince Philip, Husband of Queen Elizabeth II, Is Dead at 99

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/09/o...gtype=Homepage

Earl Simmons, AKA DMX. Rapper/Actor, 50 years young

He was a major part of the NY rap scene in the 90s.

Most people know this song from him:

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Ramsey Clark, who championed civil rights and liberties as attorney general in the Johnson administration, then devoted much of the rest of his life to defending unpopular causes and infamous people, including Saddam Hussein and others accused of war crimes, died on Friday at his home in Manhattan. He was 93.

Howard Weitzman, an entertainment lawyer whose client list bristled with the names of some of the nation’s most famous, and infamous, celebrities — including Michael Jackson, Justin Bieber and, for two days, O.J. Simpson — died on Wednesday at his home in the Pacific Palisades section of Los Angeles. He was 81.

The cause was cancer, said Diana Baron, a spokeswoman for his wife, Margaret Weitzman.

In a career spanning five decades, Mr. Weitzman was the lead attorney in more than 300 civil and criminal jury trials, representing more than 1,000 people. His client list read like a Who’s Who of the last half-century’s superstars, among them Marlon Brando, Magic Johnson, Sugar Ray Leonard, Sean “Diddy” Combs, Justin Bieber, Ozzy Osbourne, Morgan Freeman and Britney Spears.

He also represented major motion picture studios as well as the powerhouse talent agencies William Morris, ICM and CAA, giving him a 360-degree view of the inner workings of the entertainment industry and a Rolodex of top-level connections that enhanced his reputation as a fixer. He was often ranked as one of the most influential lawyers in the country.

NEW YORK (AP) — Bernie Madoff, the financier who pleaded guilty to orchestrating the largest Ponzi scheme in history, died in a federal prison early Wednesday, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

Madoff died at the Federal Medical Center in Butner, North Carolina, apparently from natural causes, the person said. The person was not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity.

Last year, Madoff’s lawyers filed court papers to try to get the 82-year-old released from prison in the COVID-19 pandemic, saying he had suffered from end-stage renal disease and other chronic medical conditions. The request was denied.

Madoff admitted swindling thousands of clients out of billions of dollars in investments over decades.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    NEW YORK (AP) — Bernie Madoff, the financier who pleaded guilty to orchestrating the largest Ponzi scheme in history, died in a federal prison early Wednesday, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

Madoff died at the Federal Medical Center in Butner, North Carolina, apparently from natural causes, the person said. The person was not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity.

Last year, Madoff’s lawyers filed court papers to try to get the 82-year-old released from prison in the COVID-19 pandemic, saying he had suffered from end-stage renal disease and other chronic medical conditions. The request was denied.

Madoff admitted swindling thousands of clients out of billions of dollars in investments over decades.
    Pluses and negatives in regards to this idiot. Negatives: He swindled a bunch of money Fred Wilpon... who owns the Mets. That kept him from spending ANY money on the Mets, although he was somewhat stingy to begin with. Positives: That financial hit eventually made Wilpon sell the Mets to Steve Cohen (hedge fund billionaire) who wants to spend money on the Mets like a drunken sailor. Rest in hell Bernie.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Pluses and negatives in regards to this idiot. Negatives: He swindled a bunch of money Fred Wilpon... who owns the Mets. That kept him from spending ANY money on the Mets, although he was somewhat stingy to begin with. Positives: That financial hit eventually made Wilpon sell the Mets to Steve Cohen (hedge fund billionaire) who wants to spend money on the Mets like a drunken sailor. Rest in hell Bernie.
    Well, I'm pretty sure this may be a 1st on this thread but...