Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Notable Passages: 2021

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    George P. Shultz, who presided with a steady hand over the beginning of the end of the Cold War as President Ronald Reagan’s often embattled secretary of state, died on Saturday at his home in Stanford, Calif. He was 100.

Mr. Shultz, who had served Republican presidents since Dwight D. Eisenhower, moved to California after leaving Washington in January 1989. He continued writing and speaking on issues ranging from nuclear weapons to climate change into his late 90s, expressing concern about America’s direction.

“Right now we’re not leading the world,” he told an interviewer in March 2020. “We’re withdrawing from it.”
    A true statesman.

Pedro Gomez, ESPN Reporter, Age 58.

Marty Schottenheimer, former NFL coach, age 77.

Schottenheimer was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2014. He was moved to a hospice facility near his home in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Jan. 30 because of complications from the irreversible, progressive brain disorder.

Schottenheimer was a head coach for 21 seasons in the NFL, leading the Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, Washington and the Chargers.

He posted a 205-139-1 career record, including the playoffs, leading his teams to the postseason 13 times. Although Schottenheimer coached in three AFC Championship Games, two with the Browns and one with the Chiefs, he never made a Super Bowl.

He was fired from the Chargers after leading them to 14 - 2 record in 2006.

Mary Wilson, a founding member of the Supremes, the trailblazing group from the 1960s that spun up a dozen No. 1 singles on the musical charts and was key to Motown’s legendary sound, died on Monday at her home in Henderson, Nev. She was 76.

Formed in Detroit as the Primettes in 1959, the Supremes originally included Florence Ballard and Diana Ross, and released a string of hits in the early 1960s like “Baby Love” and “Stop! In the Name of Love.”

Berry Gordy, the founder of Motown, said in a statement that the Supremes had opened doors for other Motown acts. “I was always proud of Mary,” Mr. Gordy said. “She was quite a star in her own right, and over the years continued to work hard to boost the legacy of the Supremes.”

Mary Wilson, a founding member of the Supremes, the trailblazing group from the 1960s that spun up a dozen No. 1 singles on the musical charts and was key to Motown’s legendary sound, died on Monday at her home in Henderson, Nev. She was 76.

Formed in Detroit as the Primettes in 1959, the Supremes originally included Florence Ballard and Diana Ross, and released a string of hits in the early 1960s like “Baby Love” and “Stop! In the Name of Love.”

Berry Gordy, the founder of Motown, said in a statement that the Supremes had opened doors for other Motown acts. “I was always proud of Mary,” Mr. Gordy said. “She was quite a star in her own right, and over the years continued to work hard to boost the legacy of the Supremes.”
    Music of my High School years. I was saddened by Ms Ross decision to strike out on her own solo career.

Still, my favorite SNL music performance was by "and the Pips'.

Did the Supremes ever do anything like that? It seemed as if the music limelight ended for Mary wilson when they broke up.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

S. Clay Wilson, the most scabrous and rollicking of the underground cartoonists who first achieved notoriety as contributors to Zap Comix in the late 1960s, died on Sunday at his home in San Francisco. He was 79.

His wife, Lorraine Chamberlain, said the cause was deteriorating health arising from a traumatic brain injury more than 12 years ago. He had experienced a number of serious health problems in recent years.

Violent, obscene and scatological, Mr. Wilson’s hyperbolic stories — full of corny puns and incongruously decorous dialogue, and populated by such unsavory, anatomically distorted characters as the Checkered Demon, Captain Pissgums and his Pervert Pirates, the Hog Riding Fools and Ruby the Dyke.

Larry Flynt, who built an empire around his sexually explicit magazine Hustler and became an unlikley free-speech hero, has died at age 78.

https://apnews.com/article/us-news-l...cb88d5fc547e99
    Last edited by RenoZag; 02-10-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Chick Corea, an architect of the jazz-rock fusion boom in the 1970s who spent more than a half century as one of the foremost pianists in jazz, died on Tuesday at home in Tampa, Fla. He was 79.

Mr. Corea’s best-known band was Return to Forever, a collective with a rotating membership that nudged the genre of fusion into greater contact with Brazilian, Spanish and other global influences. It also provided Mr. Corea with a palette on which to experiment with a growing arsenal of new technologies.

Really enjoyed his music.
    But we don't play nobody.

Binging Chick tonight.

Brayden Smith, age 24. The Las Vegas native was a 5 time-champion on Jeopardy and was featured in some of the last episodes hosted by Alex Trebek.

Brayden Smith, age 24. The Las Vegas native was a 5 time-champion on Jeopardy and was featured in some of the last episodes hosted by Alex Trebek.
    We liked watching him. He reminded me of the guy in The Good Doctor.

Hilton Valentine, the Animals Founding Guitarist, Dead at 77

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame-inducted musician played classic opening for “The House of the Rising Sun”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-obit-1121412/
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Rush Limbaugh, radio & TV personality, age 70.

Rush made hundreds of millions because he was a genius at nearly all the rhetoric types of false logic....

RIP Rush

Lynn Stalmaster, an empathetic and tenacious casting director who altered the careers of hundreds of actors, including John Travolta, Jeff Bridges and Christopher Reeve, and cast hundreds of Hollywood films and television programs, died on Feb. 12 at his home in Los Angeles. He was 93.

Billy Wilder, Robert Wise, Hal Ashby, Mike Nichols, Sydney Pollack and Norman Jewison all relied on Mr. Stalmaster’s keen ability to discern the inner life of a character and match it to the thousands of actors who inhabited his mental Rolodex. This alchemical process, as Tom Donahue, the filmmaker behind “Casting By,” a 2012 documentary about the craft, put it, raised Mr. Stalmaster’s work to a high art.

Stalmaster is the only casting director in film history to receive an honorary Academy Award.

Lawrence Ferlinghetti, poet, publisher, owner of San Francisco's City Lights bookstore, age 101. Ferlinghetti befriended and championed many of the major Beat poets, among them Allen Ginsberg.

Former Chargers OL Doug Wilkerson dies at 73.

This is one of my favorite offensive linemen of all-time.

Lawrence Ferlinghetti, poet, publisher, painter and pivotal figure to the Beats and about every other counterculture literary movement in San Francisco, has died at 101.
    “We’ve lost a great poet and visionary,” Nancy Peters, co-owner and retired executive director of City Lights Bookstore and Publishers, told The Chronicle on Tuesday. “Lawrence was a legend in his time and a great San Franciscan.”
    Ferlinghetti was behind dozens of books of verse and City Lights, the country’s first independent bookstore to deal exclusively in paperbacks when it launched.
    Reporter Sam Whiting remembers his impact on San Francisco and the world of literature.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Irv Cross, Pro Bowl CB and CBS broadcaster, age 81.

His on-field success continued at Northwestern, where he was part of legendary coach Ara Parseghian's first recruiting class. Cross was a two-way player, a speedy wide receiver and physical cornerback. He was a captain of the 1960 team and an All-Big Ten selection. It was at Northwestern where he and Brent Musburger first crossed paths as they both attended the school at the same time. To maintain his athletic scholarship, Cross had a job restocking the towels and toiletries in the men's rooms of several of the dorms. Musburger struck a conversation during a chance encounter that started their friendship.

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/irv-cross

Vernon Jordan, the civil rights activist and Washington power broker whose private counsel was sought both by the powerful at the top levels of government and those in the corporate world, died on Monday at his home in Washington. He was 85.

Tony Hendra, a humorist whose wide-ranging résumé included top editing jobs at National Lampoon and Spy magazines and a zesty role in the mockumentary “This Is Spinal Tap,” died on Thursday in Yonkers, N.Y. He was 79.

Roger Mudd, the anchorman who delivered the news and narrated documentaries with an urbane edge for three decades on CBS, NBC and PBS and conducted a 1979 interview that undermined the presidential hopes of Senator Edward M. Kennedy, died on Tuesday at his home in McLean, Va. He was 93.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Carla Wallenda, who spent seven decades with both her head and her feet in the clouds (or close to them) as a member of the Flying Wallendas aerial act, died on Saturday in Sarasota, Fla. The last surviving child of the family troupe’s founder, she was 85.