Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Notable Passages: 2021

Frank Jacobs, an inventive satirist who in his 57 years at Mad magazine mocked popular culture and politics, often in pitch-perfect verse and lyrics, died on April 5 in Tarzana, Calif. He was 91.

His son, Alex, confirmed the death,

Mr. Jacobs brought a quick wit, a deep well of ideas and a love of rhyming to Mad in 1957, becoming one of that smart-alecky humor magazine’s most prolific contributors, especially during the 1960s and ’70s, when it was at the peak of its irreverence and its cultural influence.

“He was the ultimate craftsman,” said John Ficarra, a former Mad editor. “He could be persnickety, for sure, but you had to respect him: He was in an endless search for the perfect word, the perfect phrase and the perfect rhyme.”

Helen McCrory, the accomplished and versatile British stage and screen actress who played Narcissa Malfoy in three Harry Potter films and the matriarch Polly Gray on the BBC series “Peaky Blinders,” in addition to earning critical plaudits for her stage work, has died at her home in north London. She was 52.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Helen McCrory, the accomplished and versatile British stage and screen actress who played Narcissa Malfoy in three Harry Potter films and the matriarch Polly Gray on the BBC series “Peaky Blinders,” in addition to earning critical plaudits for her stage work, has died at her home in north London. She was 52.
    This one rocked me. She was so amazing in Peaky Blinders. She was younger than me. Quite sad
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Rusty Young, a founding member of the popular country-rock group Poco and a key figure in establishing the pedal steel guitar as an integral voice in the West Coast rock of the late 1960s and ’70s, died on Wednesday at his home in Davisville, Mo. He was 75.

His publicist, Mike Farley, said the cause was a heart attack.

Mr. Young played steel guitar with Poco for more than a half-century. Along with other Los Angeles-based rock bands like the Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco was among the architects of the country-rock movement of the late ’60s, which incorporated traditional country instrumentation into predominantly rock arrangements. The Eagles and scores of other bands would follow in their wake.

Walter Mondale, Ex-Vice President and one-time candidate for president in 1984, died on Monday at his Minneapolis home at the age of 93.

Jim Steinman, who wrote all the songs on “Bat Out of Hell,” Meat Loaf’s operatic, teenage-angst-filled 1977 debut album, which remains one of the most successful records of all time, died on Monday in Danbury, Conn. He was 73.

His longtime manager, David Sonenberg, announced the death. He said that Mr. Steinman had a stroke four years ago and that his health had recently been declining.

Mr. Steinman had a wide-ranging résumé that included writing Bonnie Tyler’s 1983 No. 1 hit “Total Eclipse of the Heart” and serving as Andrew Lloyd Webber’s lyricist on “Whistle Down the Wind” (1996). But his career-defining achievement was “Bat Out of Hell,” a record that no major label wanted but that has now sold tens of millions of copies.

Gregory Jacobs - the artist and producer who founded the 1990s hip hop group, Digital Underground.

He’s best known by his alter egos, Shock G and Humpty.

https://www.theringer.com/2021/4/23/...t-humpty-dance

The Humpty Dance was always a favorite at those COG dances and off-campus house parties in the 1990s.

Let me tell ya a little bit about this dance
    It's real easy to do--check it out
    First I limp to the side like my leg was broken
    Shakin' and twitchin' kinda like I was smokin'
    Crazy wack funky
    People say ya look like M.C. Hammer on crack, Humpty
    That's all right 'cause my body's in motion
    It's supposed to look like a fit or a convulsion
    Anyone can play this game
    This is my dance, y'all, Humpty Hump's my name
    No two people will do it the same
    Ya got it down when ya appear to be in pain

Daniel Kaminsky, a security researcher known for his discovery of a fundamental flaw in the fabric of the internet, died on Friday at his home in San Francisco. He was 42.

His aunt, Dr. Toby Maurer, said the cause was diabetic ketoacidosis, a condition that led to frequent hospitalizations in recent years.

In 2008, Mr. Kaminsky was widely hailed as a digital Paul Revere after he found a serious flaw in the internet’s basic plumbing that could allow skilled coders to take over websites, siphon off bank credentials or even shut down the internet. Mr. Kaminsky alerted the Department of Homeland Security, executives at Microsoft and Cisco, and other internet security experts to the problem and helped spearhead a patch.

He was a respected practitioner of “penetration testing,” the business of compromising the security of computer systems at the behest of owners who want to harden their systems from attack. It was a profession that his mother, Trudy Maurer, said he had first developed a knack for as a 4-year-old in San Francisco, after his father gave him a computer from Radio Shack. By age 5, Mrs. Maurer said, Mr. Kaminsky had taught himself to code.

Michael Collins, who piloted the Apollo 11 spacecraft Columbia in orbit 60 miles above the moon while his crewmates, Neil Armstrong and Col. Buzz Aldrin, became the first men to walk on the lunar surface, died on Wednesday. He was 90.

A statement released by Mr. Collins’s family on Twitter said the cause was cancer. The statement did not say where he died.

It was an epic moment of exploration, an instant when the fantasy of science fiction writers became a reality. And when it transpired, Lt. Col. Michael Collins of the Air Force was the loneliest man in history.

You may not recognize the name but you surely have heard lots of his work. An important figure in music.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bil...YlEw6ZLVLTJFmY

Michael Collins, Apollo 11 astronaut, dies at 90

On July 20, 1969, eight years after President John F. Kennedy pledged to land a man on the lunar surface and return him safely to Earth, astronaut Michael Collins sat alone in the command module Columbia. He was floating 60 miles above what he later called the “withered, sun-seared peach pit” of the moon...

Mr. Collins went on to become an eloquent advocate for space exploration, in his many books and as founding director of the Smithsonian’s National Air and Space Museum in Washington. He was an inductee of the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame and the International Space Hall of Fame and a recipient of the Congressional Gold Medal, among other honors. He retired from the Air Force Reserve in 1982 at the rank of major general....

Washington Post Article Link

Johnny Crawford, Young Star of 'The Rifleman,' Dies at 75.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...man-dies-at-75

But we don't play nobody.

Three-time Indy 500 winner Bobby Unser dies at 87

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/03/us/bo...ies/index.html
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Helen Murray Free, a chemist who ushered in a revolution in diagnostic testing when she co-developed the dip-and-read diabetes test, a paper strip that detected glucose in urine, died on Saturday at a hospice facility in Elkhart, Ind. She was 98.

The cause was complications of a stroke, her son Eric said.

Before the invention of the dip-and-read test in 1956, technicians added chemicals to urine and then heated the mixture over a Bunsen burner. The test was inconvenient, and, because it could not distinguish glucose from other sugars, results were not very precise.

Working with her husband, who was also a chemist, Ms. Free figured out how to impregnate strips of filter paper with chemicals that turned blue when glucose was present. The test made it easier for clinicians to diagnose diabetes and cleared the way for home test kits, which enabled patients to monitor glucose on their own.

New Jack died! He was the most insane wrestler ever.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/comicbo...ng-dies-at-58/

Charles Grodin, Star of ‘Heaven Can Wait,’ ‘Midnight Run,’ Dies at 86

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/c...un-1234975854/
    "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
    "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
    I am monitoring the price of a donut

Had no idea he was that old. My kids wore out the "Beethoven" tapes back in the day.

I've been trying to track down a DVD of "Clifford" ever since school became virtual and my oldest unfortunately brought the school issued recorder home. In his red plaid PJs he bore a striking resemblance to Martin Short as a 10 year old.

Paul Mooney

Paul Mooney, the actor-comedian famous for starring on "Chappelle's Show" and "Bamboozled," has died at 79
    The comedian was from Shreveport, Louisiana, and got his start as a writer for Richard Pryor. He went on to write for the sketch hit "In Living Color" and often appeared in skits on Dave Chappelle's Comedy Central show.
    He played Sam Cooke in 1978's "The Buddy Holly Story" and appeared in Spike Lee's 2000 movie "Bamboozled."
    Bring back the OCC

Last edited by sittingon50; 05-19-2021 at 04:32 PM.

Paul Van Doren, a founder of Vans, the Southern California sneaker company that became synonymous with skateboarding almost by chance and then grew into a multibillion-dollar business, died on May 6 in Fullerton, Calif. He was 90.

His death, at the home of one of his children, was confirmed by a representative for VF Corporation, which now owns Vans. He lived in Las Vegas.

Mr. Van Doren founded the Van Doren Rubber Company in 1966 with the investor Serge D’Elia and soon brought on his younger brother James and Gordon Lee, a colleague from his years working for another sneaker manufacturer.

The idea was straightforward: sell high-quality but inexpensive sneakers from a store adjacent to a factory in Anaheim. The company handled production on-site, making it easy to fill orders of different sizes and allowing buyers to customize their shoes in a rainbow of colors and patterns.

Former Utah Jazz center Mark Eaton has died at age 64 after an apparent bike crash, the team announced Saturday.

Passersby found Eaton in the street after an apparent crash Friday night in Summit County, Utah, police said, according to a statement from the team. Police do not believe a vehicle was involved in the accident.

“The Utah Jazz are profoundly saddened at the unexpected passing of Mark Eaton, who was an enduring figure in our franchise history and had a significant impact in the community after his basketball career," the team said in a statement. "... His presence continued around the organization as a friend and ambassador while giving back as a businessman and volunteer to his adopted hometown in Utah.

That sucks.