Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ayayi has some competition...

Default ayayi has some competition...

just came across this tidbit on cbs sports website...

"Some props to 6-3 Saint Louis guard Jordan Goodwin, who is in the running for pound-for-pound most productive player in college basketball. The man has seven double-doubles this season and is averaging 16.9 points, 11.1 rebounds and 3.8 assists."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ories-of-2020/

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...jordan-goodwin

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    just came across this tidbit on cbs sports website...

"Some props to 6-3 Saint Louis guard Jordan Goodwin, who is in the running for pound-for-pound most productive player in college basketball. The man has seven double-doubles this season and is averaging 16.9 points, 11.1 rebounds and 3.8 assists."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ories-of-2020/

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...jordan-goodwin
    Great stats, but what is the level of competition? Not to imply that some of the Zags opponents were ranked that high, but anytime a team plays the #1 ranked team, the bring a bit extra to the game.
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

Agree, great stats, but what is this players role on his team?? Is he "the guy" for St. Louis, does he have the ball in his hands most of the time, etc.?? Not knocking the kid at all, but the comparison may be apples and oranges as Joel is the ZAGS 4th option on offense, doesn't have the ball in his hands all that much, etc.

Cudos to both these young men, but I'll keep our guy all day long.

Go ZAGS

It is reported that Mark Few is encouraging Joel Ayayi to "Hunt your shot."

There is only one basketball, and it is going through the hoop to the tune of about 100 points per game. For the players to collectively play up to their true potential, you would have to start thinking in terms of those 88-90 LMU teams. I mean every starter sans Watson has already demonstrated a realistic potential to be a consistent 15-20 per night scorer. Nembhard is capable of much more as well. Indeed, to satisfy the hunger of the future top level recruits, Mark Few may have to reinvent himself as Paul Westhead. I'm not so sure he hasn't done so already. Imagine Ballo trying to play in Westhead's offense. He is going to have to become his best impression of a gazelle to keep up. Timme easily adapted because running the floor is absolutely the best part of his game. Fortunately, Ballo is a piece, a potentially very valuable tool, that can be pulled out of the toolbox for specific situations. Otherwise, it is.........

Run, run, run. Spread the floor. High octane offense. Paul Westhead part II

In Gonzaga's two games against LMU in 1990:

1st Game.......Kimble-30 points, Gathers -14 rebounds, Walker-7 assists. Final Score LMU 144, Gonzaga 100
    2nd Game......Kimble AND Gathers 31 points, Stumer 8 rebounds, Walker 6 assists. Final Score (in "The Kennel") LMU 99, Gonzaga 88

Yes ACC fans, there has been some history made (historic games and players) in this conference and Gonzaga was part of it. Still is part of it.
    Last edited by MickMick; 01-01-2021 at 11:01 AM.
    I miss Mike Hart

Saint Louis is a pretty good team. I don’t really see where it’s relevant what his role is on their team, it still impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ayayi has been nothing short of impressive this season. My favorite player so far though I really love this team

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Great stats, but what is the level of competition?
    Hah. We have become everything we used to despise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Saint Louis is a pretty good team. I don’t really see where it’s relevant what his role is on their team, it still impressive
    exactly - what does role on team have to do with rebounding?@#!@#?

i guess i need to be specific on this board or people don't follow...this is a 6'3 guard averaging 11.1 rebounds per game.

people here like to tout ayayi as the best rebounding guard in the country, so just pointing out that he has competition.

st.louis is a top 20-30 level team in the a-10 (usually better than wcc) that has already beaten lsu and nc-state with only loss at #21 minnesota

and it isn't a covid-related small sample size stat either...the guy averaged a double-double last year as well.
    Last edited by WallaWallaZag; 01-01-2021 at 12:50 PM.

There’s a kind of extreme loyalty or homerism that borders on myopia or insecurity in how some fans respond to the amazing accomplishments of people not wearing a GU jersey. Goodwin is absolutely an elite rebounder and probably a better rebounder for a guard than Ayayi, despite being 2” shorter. Thanks for the post.

Chart dated through 12/17.

Quote Originally Posted by StatsZag View Post
    There’s a kind of extreme loyalty or homerism that borders on myopia or insecurity in how some fans respond to the amazing accomplishments of people not wearing a GU jersey. Goodwin is absolutely an elite rebounder and probably a better rebounder for a guard than Ayayi, despite being 2” shorter. Thanks for the post.
    ...and the thing is, my pointing out the stats of goodwin, who i was not familiar with, does absolutely nothing to take away from the accomplishments of ayayi in any way!

i was actually curious if joel in fact might be the "best" rebounding guard in the country statistically, though i hadn't bothered to try and research...

edited to add: so i did do quickie search and if we limit to "high-major" players who are listed as guards:

#1 jordan goodwin st.louis @ 11.1 (6'3 - 200)
    #2 tyrese martin uconn @ 9.3 (6'6 - 215)
    #3 luis rodriguez olemiss @ 8.4 (6'6 - 210)
    #4 isaac likekele ok-state @ 8.3 (6'5 - 215)

ayayi doesn't fall in the top 100 @ 7.8 per, but looking at the list i will go out on a limb and say ayayi is the best "skinny" rebounding guard at 180.
    #1 and #4 on the list are both combo guards who handle the ball quite a bit while #2 and #3 really have a role more like forwards.
    Last edited by WallaWallaZag; 01-01-2021 at 01:34 PM.

If y’all have been paying attention, you know Joel is one of my all time favorites.

Here’s the thing. If this kid declared he was a transfer, I’m guessing most of you would be on board with that. He’s really good. A little loose with the ball, but other than that, a terrific player.

Smile

Love Joel and his " elegant" game....but he will have to hustle to catch Burgess who at 6' 1" had career average of 7.6 rebounds per game....and a total of 595 in three seasons and only 78 games....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Love Joel and his " elegant" game....but he will have to hustle to catch Burgess who at 6' 1" had career average of 7.6 rebounds per game....and a total of 595 in three seasons and only 78 games....
    I'm sure if Joel played back then with his size and athletism he would have put up ungodly numbers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Whats amazing is gonzaga had 2 players over 7ft on the roster in 1959. Both listed at 7'3.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    I'm sure if Joel played back then with his size and athletism he would have put up ungodly numbers.

I would agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Great stats, but what is the level of competition? Not to imply that some of the Zags opponents were ranked that high, but anytime a team plays the #1 ranked team, the bring a bit extra to the game.
    probably not the best time to talk about level of competition considering ayayi just padded his stats the past two games against a couple of the worst teams in div 1...but joel has shown the ability to put up numbers against any competition, so if he can stay aggressive even when suggs comes back, the zags will be even more dangerous...especially from the perimeter where he's struggled shooting the 3 ball. i wouldn't be shocked if he ends up shooting a higher percentage than suggs

He also padded them against several top ranked teams.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post
    Whats amazing is gonzaga had 2 players over 7ft on the roster in 1959. Both listed at 7'3.

And the great Charly Jordan who led the team in rebounding......Jordan was only out rebounded for a season by Vermillion and Sabonis... .....

Default 7 fters in 1959

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    And the great Charly Jordan who led the team in rebounding......Jordan was only out rebounded for a season by Vermillion and Sabonis... .....
    Sorry WL. Yes two 7 fters in 1959. Jean Claude Lefebvre 7-3 but George Trontzos from Greece was only 7 ft. Trontzos played on the freshman team that year.

As SID among other things I kept all the stats. Shooting percentages in the 50s were not nearly as good as they are today except for Burgess. But because many more rebounds were available, the Bulldogs led the nation in team rebounding in those years. Yes I carefully recorded all rebounds but stats were honest and real.

Old timers question Hank Anderson's coaching credentials but since he was 6-6, 6-7 and one of the Tall Firs on the 1940 NCAA national champs from Oregon he knew a thing about rebounding.

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    Hah. We have become everything we used to despise.
    I was just thinking the same thing.

Default 7 fters

Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing.
    Wight Light
    About Joel playing years ago. Yes he might challenge Vermillion, maybe.
    But if Pigs had wings they could also fly.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgessEraZag View Post
    Wight Light
    Just stating when Ayayi was compared to players from the 58-60's he would have dominated back then.

Duplicate

Wight Light
    Is there a flight school for pigs so they CAN get their wings?
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

Wight Light
    Norm....Norm...it was so easy to rebound in those days against weaklings like Baylor and Chet the Jet and Russell and Lucas or Cartwright or god forbid Walton....... I believe after the ref took the ball out of the peach basket he simply threw it up and anyone could get it..

You need to remember that real basketball at Gonzaga started around 1999....