Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PACIFIC CAN WE CATCH THE TIGER BY THE TAIL, TWO NEW KEY CONTRIBUTORS

Default PACIFIC CAN WE CATCH THE TIGER BY THE TAIL, TWO NEW KEY CONTRIBUTORS

Pacific is coming off a 78-70 OT win against St. Mary's, their 2nd OT win in row. They are a very seasoned lineup also, they are returning 3 Senior Starters from last year. However this year the other 2 starters have been changed nearly every game. Seems to be not out out of necessity but more experimentation. Regardless they have discovered two new key contributors this year #30 and #04. So I am going to change things up also and look at these two players first.

#30 Ashby (5'9") First start last game scored 24 points, on 10-16 FG. Averaging 10.5 points a game. She was a Freshman last year and only appeared in 10 games, with limited minutes.

#04 Schweizer (6'0") 8.8 points per game average. Last year redshirt freshman.

Now lets relook at their 3 returning Senior Starters

* #22 Higgins (6'1") last game 26 points, 10-21 FG. Averaging 18.3 Points a game. Already was player of the week once.

* #1 McDavid (6'1") Averaging 11.8 points. Last game attempted 13 FG.

* #23 Tillman (5'9") Averaging 10.3 points a game.

#21 Randhawa (6'2") averaging 6 points a game.

#13 Cruz (5'11") averaging 5.5 points per game.

#10 Whitehead (6'2")

Now lets review the two games we played them last year. The first game was in the Kennel it was a nail bitter, then Katie hit two shots 2 and 3 pointer, to put us up 67-62 with 18 seconds left. I remember watching people slowly heading towards the runways, but the final score was 68-67 we won.

The 2nd game at Pacific we won comfortably without Katie (Go Figure).

What's worrisome about Pacific is they bring back all their key players, plus have 2 new key contributors in #30 and #04. All the other teams around the WCC seemed to have improved this year.

We must win these two games against St. Mary's and Pacific. Then we have a full week to get ready for Portland. Pacific plays Portland this Saturday that should be interesting.

Game time 4 January 2021 Monday at 6:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    All the other teams around the WCC seemed to have improved this year.\

Game time 4 January 2021 Monday at 6:00 PM
    You're basing that statement on what exactly? I saw Portland against Washington and they looked terrible, nothing like the team that won the WCC tourney last year.

Heads up Lady Zags don't let Pacifics #23 Tillman open from 3 point line. This year she is 9 for 17 on 3 pointers 52%. And a reminder Pacific has only played 4 games so far this year.

Be ready Lady Zags Pacific brings some height 5 out of their top 8 players are 6'0" to 6'2" tall.

Stay vigilant in protecting against Covid Lady Zags and we hope to be watching you again on Monday.

@Zag's Attack Basket, I THINK THE BIG issue here is Pacific's 4 total games to date. Evidently Portland has Covid problems, and postponed Pacific's game. AS far as I know, Pacific will be in Spokane on Monday! We have a roster of 14, and very little playing time for most! Tillman, McDavid and Higgins have played in all four. Randhawa, is no where near 'in shape' and we have quite a few of 'newcomers' trying to get to know each other. Not sure 'which' TEN will make the trip. But you will see LOTS OF competitive fight... but I'm afraid Gonzaga is more seasoned together [even though they have had some rough patches in some games...as noted by ZAG DAD]. I'm not sure the rest of the WCC is as 'organized and cohesive' as the Zag's are at this point. If the TIGERS can play at least 15 or 16 conference games before the tourney, then I'd say this match up would have a great game (Pacific vs Gonzaga) in Las Vegas! Now ZAG's will have to put forth a defensive effort, and Pacific will be aggressive, and we may have some moments, but your over all strength and the Wirth's (JT is expected to get her points)... I don't think we have anyone at this time that can handle them inside for 4 quarters! At this point, I'd say BYU and LMU might be more competitive once the season has some more games under their belts! Looking forward to Monday evening, here's hoping a safe and well contested game!

Kemo appreciate your input. Question for you is this a budget thing every year for Pacific, that they only take 10 players on road games?

Think you might be sandbagging or underestimating your team. First of all your returning 3 seasoned starters to your lineup, all who are very talented in Higgins, McDavid, and Tillman.

Then just in your last two games a saw a couple of players from down under really have great games lets look at these two players again:

#30 Ashby started last game in which she was 10-16 FG, 3-8 on 3 pointers, and had 8 rebounds. #30 is a Sophomore from Perth, Australia.

#4 Schweizer two games ago was 7-16 FG, 2-5 on 3 pointers, 5-5 free throws, 8 rebounds, #4 is a Redshirt Freshman from Canberra, Australia.

Note both your last two games were OT games so your players did get a chance to build some endurance and test their legs, and they responded quite well might add with both games coming away with victories.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 01-03-2021 at 10:44 AM.

Easy to predict 9 of the Pacific players coming to Spokane the last spot would be between 3 players with very few minutes. A total of 12 Pacific players have seen minutes on the court this season.
    Lets start with those nine:

#22 Higgins (6'1") Senior Starter. Selected 1st team all conference 2020.

#01 McDavid (6'1") Senior Starter. Selected 1st team all conference 2020.

#23 Tillman (5'9") Senior Starter

#30 Ashby (5'9")

#21 Randhawa (6'2") Started in 28 games last year.

#4 Schweizer (6'0")

#13 Cruz (5'11")

#10 Whitehead (6'2") Started in 11 games last year.

#2 Millard (6'2") Note she started the first 3 games this year but did not appear in game 4. This could be coach decision or injury.

Of course this is assuming these players are healthy and clear Covid protocols.

These are the the other 3 Pacific players with a few minutes on court so far listed below:

#0 Johnson (6'5")

#33 Ennis (5'11)

#24 Smith (5'9")
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 01-03-2021 at 03:41 PM.

Perhaps its just me but would like to see Lady Zags scoring more points in the 1st quarter on a consistent basis. Setting the tone, and then maintaining it.

Lets look at 3 games of Lady Zags 1st quarter totals SDS scored 14 points, LMU 13 points, St. Mary's 12 points.

SDS ended winning that game in OT. LMU outscored us 19-13, and took the game to the wire.

St. Mary's the score was 12-4 we were up. But have to tell you if you limit a team to 4 points in the 1st quarter, you should be up by more than 8 points.

I have noticed sometimes we score 4-6 quick points in the 1st quarter, and then we just seem to let up don't know why, we just seem to become stagnant.

Kemo appreciate your input. Question for you is this a budget thing every year for Pacific, that they only take 10 players on road games?

Think you might be sandbagging or underestimating your team. First of all your returning 3 seasoned starters to your lineup, all who are very talented in Higgins, McDavid, and Tillman.

Then just in your last two games a saw a couple of players from down under really have great games lets look at these two players again:

#30 Ashby started last game in which she was 10-16 FG, 3-8 on 3 pointers, and had 8 rebounds. #30 is a Sophomore from Perth, Australia.

#4 Schweizer two games ago was 7-16 FG, 2-5 on 3 pointers, 5-5 free throws, 8 rebounds, #4 is a Redshirt Freshman from Canberra, Australia.

Note both your last two games were OT games so your players did get a chance to build some endurance and test their legs, and they responded quite well might add with both games coming away with victories.
    We had two weeks of Shut down, not to mention cancelations before that. Not all members arrived on campus at the same time. California had vastly different rules... and at times I am not sure what they were? As far as Sandbagging... I believe I was being pragmatic... Randhawa had all the OOC games last year, plus I think 3 WCC games under her belt... when we visited Spokane last year! We had played 3 top tier opponents last year... well; just lacking a post over 6.5" .... It was a good game, and in the end, it was Zag's defense in 3 of the last 4 minutes that brought you your victory! Despite Higgins' herculine effort! Randhawa has played in 2 games, but not as much as you would expect from a 'returning letter winner' and starter from a year ago.

This may surprise you, but Smith and Ennis will be the future of this team along with Ashby... plus some signed Forwards, in the years to come! McDavid (yes she is an All WCC candidate) really hasn't had a 'great' game yet. Her shooting hasn't been up to par with last years touch. She did make the 'put back' bucket for the winner at LV in Double OT. Millard (6'2" and plays F but usually has to battle opponents post) either didn't make the trip, but did not play in the St Mary's game. She is a Junior from France, and has been a pleasant surprise... fighting for minutes and doing well enough as she understands the style of WCC action. One of those players who seem to play hard; in the action and holds her own. IMO she would benefit from playing vs the Wirths. Once you go up against the best in the conference... you know what is expected to succeed! At any rate... I would be pleasantly surprised if we could play 4 quarters of quality basketball with a top 25 ranked squad, at this time! Johnson is 6.5" (C) but is a work in progress. She will play strategically at the end of quarters or special situations. Has a lot of work ahead of her! #4 Schweizer, is promising... and hopefully she makes the trip and sees some action. She has some hidden value... that opposing coaches will no doubt discover. Yet, I do not know how much of the 'defensive scheme' she is understanding. The whole WCC is better this year, but I think USF, San Diego, have a ways to go. Seems like BYU is hitting stride; LMU has two 'Stars' who won't be playing until next week, I think. I haven't seen Pepperdine nor Portland... but supposedly they are more experienced ??? I don't think SMC or Santa Clara will threaten the Zag's dominance... I've only seen SMC once; (OT game @SMC, we allowed them to get back into it, after blowing a 15 point lead!), and their massacre score in Spokane. Santa Clara has some talent, but I don't think this is their year! IMO

Budget? Things were TOUGH before Covid hit. Only BYU (1 Billon to spend on 'extra curricular') and Zag's well deserved and built budgets, are the 'envy' of the league.... Not sure, but maybe Pepperdine has a decent surplus? Pacific had to drop its most promising 'women's program "Field Hockey" (NCAA ranked) last year. Coach was instantly hired by PAC school, I think? Scheckles are hard to come by, (-:

You just never know until you play the game. LMU showed us that in our first WCC game of the year. Look forward to playing Pacific tomorrow.

I love ZAB's weekly evaluations of the Lady Zag opponents. He reminds me a lot of Lou Holtz when he was the coach of the Notre Dame Irish football team. Next week's opponent is also the best team they have played all year and should be ranked in the Top-10 (even if the are 0-7). No better man to build up the opposing team than Lou Holtz. Go get them ZAB.

Thanks Kemo for the heads up on Pacific. Looking back at last year's two games, it appears as if the vaunted Zag defense did not step up or could not completely handle the Tiger offense. Pacific scored 65 & 67 points so they were relatively offensively comparable in both games. In the game in Spokane, Pacific shot 44.4% overall, and 36.8% from 3 while in the game in Stockton, the Tigers shot 37.3% overall and 44.4% from 3. Higgins was the leading scorer in both games with 20 & 16 points. McDavid scored 8 & 14 points in the two games last year. Four of the five starters were the same in both games and are on this year's team roster: Higgins, McDavid, Tillman and Randhawa. Tryggedsson started one game and Blakeslee started the other game last year. The lady zags won the battle of the boards in both games, small margin in Spokane, a much bigger margin in Stockton. There was not a significant difference between the teams in turnovers and steals. The biggest difference in the games was the Zag offense shot much better in Stockton than they did in Spokane. The better shooting percentage in Stockton came from significantly more points being scored in the paint and fast break break points.

While the Zags will have the height advantage in the frontcourt, Pacific has a definitive size advantage in the backcourt. Pacific guards tend to rebound very well, much better than their Zag counterparts. The biggest advantages the Zags have is their depth, their experience and the fact they have played twice as many games as Pacific. Pacific has a very experienced starting line-up (assuming all make the trip) with Higgins, McDavid and Tillman as seniors and Randhawa as a junior.

I doubt the Lady Zags want to get into a shoot-out with the Tigers. In their three wins, the Tigers have averaged 76 points while in their one loss Pacific still scored 61 points. While the Zags won both games last year, it was touch and go in the kennel and required a tremendous offensive effort in Stockton. Last year, the Lady Zags gave up an average of just over 52 points per game, but Pacific averaged 66 points a game against the Zags. Thus IMO, to win the game the Zags need to play better defense and take Higgins out of the game.

It will take a significant effort, but the ladies have it in them.

Let's get the Tigers, Zags.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 01-03-2021 at 10:01 PM.

I'll try to attach the Stockton's Record article on the game:

https://www.recordnet.com/story/spor...ga/4121155001/

I am not skilled in IT ... I have a phone which I am about 25% "know-how" .... maybe ZagDad can get this to post?

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo 1966 View Post
    I'll try to attach the Stockton's Record article on the game:

https://www.recordnet.com/story/spor...ga/4121155001/

I am not skilled in IT ... I have a phone which I am about 25% "know-how" .... maybe ZagDad can get this to post?
    Perfect.

Thanks for the link. It was a good read.

ZagDad

Zags win 79-59. Jenn Wirth 26 points, 11-14 FG, 4-4 FT, she was robbed last week not getting player of the week. Their will be no denying Jenn this week.

Game never in doubt Subs played great.

Melody who I consider a sixth starter had 11 points, even with the ticky tack fouls called on her. Cierra Walker played great 11 points, 3-6 3 pointers, impressed on the floor fighting for balls, and not giving a inch on defense when guarding underneath.

The game was never in doubt, another relaxing game.

I only have one concern whats going on with JT? Seriously maybe Jill needs her eyes tested, she can't hit a broadside of a barn from 3 point range this year (COWGIRL ANALOGY). Jills shots from 3 point range keep getting worse every game. Today Jill put up 2 air balls from 3 point range, and one was so bad they counted it has a pass and assist. I know I had a eye sight problem from 9th to 10th grade all of a sudden could not hit the baseball, and before this I always made contact. After I quit baseball and could never see the preacher, my parents finally took me to get eyes checked, yep needed glasses eye sight went bad late as a kid. If this is not the case with Jill she needs to shoot a ton of 3s before or after practice every day because it has become embarrassing. How bad has it become its effecting her judgement and confidence. She had a wide open 3 today on the top of the key and knew she was open but whipped the ball to someone else on the outside that was covered.

Jill is a great leader and morale booster for the team. But heck she even missed 1 of 2 free throws tonight. Her shooting percentage has gone down mostly because she's been missing all her 3 point shots recently. She seems to be regressing I been harping the last 4 games how she keeps missing left hand layups, and she missed another one tonight. When we end up playing a close game, WCC tournament game, or NCAA tournament game at this point I'm not sure Jill will be able to generate the offense we need.
    Why am I harping on Jill because I want her to realize her potential before she graduates, if she keeps going status quo its not going to happen, and we will likely lose in the WCC tournament again, and be one and done at the NCAA tournament.

Anyway another great team win tonight Lady Zags. I watched the 2nd half of Portland game earlier in the day and will release a shouting report later.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 01-04-2021 at 11:03 PM.

Zags win 79-59. Jenn Wirth 26 points, 11-14 FG, 4-4 FT, she was robbed last week not getting player of the week. Their will be no denying Jenn this week.
    Maybe a bit of homer in you ZAB.

Haylee Andrews got the Player of the Week and she averaged 22 ppg, 8.5 rpg and 4.0 apg last week. Whether you prefer a double-double or the much higher points per game, is simply a choice and whether we like it or not, offensive stats typically get more credit than defensive stats.

Jenn certainly was worthy last week but Haylee was equally worthy. No shame in that.

Great start for JW this week. May I suggest that you wait and see how she does against Portland before coronation of JW for Player of the Week.

ZagDad

LMU had a great game against the Tigers the other night. It was close, but we were able to pull ahead in the 4th. Both Higgins and McDavid had big numbers, but the Lions came out with what the Stockton Recorder called “barrage of three pointers”, opening with a 3 from Chelsey in the first minute and the team connecting on four straight threes in the first five minutes of play.

Stockton native Ariel Johnson treated us and her hometown fans to a “shooting clinic”, scoring her career high 23 points, including five three pointers. This game was a tie for first place all-time in LMU history with 13 team threes. She has really come alive for us and scores in a variety of ways from the floor.

https://www.recordnet.com/story/spor...ic/6666906002/

Looking forward to taking on St. Mary’s this afternoon...especially IF they want to get into a three point contest with us and IF we can repeat a performance like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats CG3Dad on the win, some good stat lines for LMU players.

#32 Johnson 9-16 FG, 5-6 on 3 pointers, 23 points.

#34 Clark 7-8 FG, 14 points.

#30 Klimek 3-6 on 3 pointers, 16 points.

So glad to see Forsyth make 2 threes, I think she has unlimited ability if given the opportunity. Was hoping she would get more playing time as a Sr. Confidence is such a big part of the game.
    Hope JT doesn't let a few misses mess with her head. As a player who can make plays for herself I would put the ball in her hands more often & certainly leave her in when she's hot.

Well we let that one get away from us. St Mary's came back on us...then we came back to get within one.

That's the way it goes. Good game from St. Mary's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CG3Dad have to say your team is very Jekyll and Hyde this year. Your daughter had a good day though today scoring 16 points.

Pacific beat Pepperdine today 61-45.

Pacific playing BYU right now. At the end of 1st quarter BYU 29-9 over Pacific. At the end of 2nd quarter BYU 47-21 over Pacific.

Pacific playing BYU right now. At the end of 1st quarter BYU 29-9 over Pacific.
    A bit odd that BYU is in action after missing the game against Gonzaga. San Diego is also playing today.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    A bit odd that BYU is in action after missing the game against Gonzaga. San Diego is also playing today.
    I watched Pacific's win over Pepperdine on Saturday and no mention of this game. Got the email earlier today.... game must haver been agreed to On Monday. Pacific seems to be in the mode of, might as well see what we have on our squad... lots of different players and combinations ... definitely not together on defensive end, and today cannot hit the "barn" shot around 25 % for the half....could be worse, BYU is shooting 50+ % overall, but "only 36%" 3's.... Not sure which team will show up Saturday for GU???

Final score BYU 81-60 over Pacific. #22 Higgins scored 18 points, more impressed with her 8 steals today. Higgins is very good at just using her long arms to reach in and slap the ball away. She used this technique all over the court, leading to several breakaways for herself after stealing the ball. She also slapped the ball away on a inbounds pass that she stole.

Final: BYU 81 Pacific 60 per usual BYU Coach (Smug Butt) ... has his team shooting and making a 3 with 10 seconds left in game. Only it was gratifying that one of our Frosh in the game, took the next possession and hit a 3 with a few ticks left! Cannot wait for GU to wipe them off the court (BYU). Not sure how much 'gas in the tank' Pacific has for Thursday... but hopefully the game gets played. Right now, even with a great shooting night... we'll be hard pressed to keep the game close! Presuming the Lady Bulldogs come with their staunch defensive mind set! CLF is way ahead of the Conference in conditioning, teaching Team defense and promoting Women's Basketball. Zags have a shot at going perfect in the League games, and conference tournament. Always a pleasure to watch well played games! IMO

Final score BYU 81-60 over Pacific. #22 Higgins scored 18 points, more impressed with her 8 steals today. Higgins is very good at just using her long arms to reach in and slap the ball away. She used this technique all over the court, leading to several breakaways for herself after stealing the ball. She also slapped the ball away on a inbounds pass that she stole.
    You didn't mention her 10 rebounds..... she just missed two steals within a 30 second span in the last 3 minutes.... otherwise it would have been a TRIPLE DOUBLE.