Thread: We’ve come a long way, baby.

Default We’ve come a long way, baby.

We’ve come a long way, baby. I still can see Few’s face after this happened. Still, classy as ever. Happy new year.

LOS ANGELES -- The stunned looks on the faces of Gonzaga's
    players said it all: The Bulldogs don't like being a No. 6 seed in
    the NCAA basketball tournament.

Fans standing behind the team at a hotel in Spokane, Wash.,
    began booing when the seeding was announced Sunday. The players,
    who expected a third or fourth seed, were silent.

"I would think we would have went higher," guard Blake Stepp
    said. "It's a little disappointing."

Still, Gonzaga (29-3) will be the higher-ranked team in the
    first round for the first time in its history when the Bulldogs
    play 11th-seeded Wyoming (21-8) on Thursday in Albuquerque, N.M.

Gonzaga takes a 14-game winning streak, which ties a school
    record, into its opening game. Its 29 wins are a school record,
    too.

"There are only 65 of us in there," Gonzaga coach Mark Few
    said. "We have to do a reality check and remember what a special
    deal it is to make it into the NCAA tournament."

The Wyoming game?? You had to bring that up?? Is that supposed to make us happy this New Year's Eve??

Good Grief!!

Quote Originally Posted by Club Prez View Post
    The Wyoming game?? You had to bring that up?? Is that supposed to make us happy this New Year's Eve??

Good Grief!!
    Somebody is taking a page right of the Heister playbook! Come on Jazz, you’re better than this!

He's channeling his inner Greg Heister. I honestly don't remember that game all that well, I was probably drunk.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Channeling his inner Spy!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    We’ve come a long way, baby. I still can see Few’s face after this happened. Still, classy as ever. Happy new year.

LOS ANGELES -- The stunned looks on the faces of Gonzaga's
    players said it all: The Bulldogs don't like being a No. 6 seed in
    the NCAA basketball tournament.

Fans standing behind the team at a hotel in Spokane, Wash.,
    began booing when the seeding was announced Sunday. The players,
    who expected a third or fourth seed, were silent.

"I would think we would have went higher," guard Blake Stepp
    said. "It's a little disappointing."

Still, Gonzaga (29-3) will be the higher-ranked team in the
    first round for the first time in its history when the Bulldogs
    play 11th-seeded Wyoming (21-8) on Thursday in Albuquerque, N.M.

Gonzaga takes a 14-game winning streak, which ties a school
    record, into its opening game. Its 29 wins are a school record,
    too.

"There are only 65 of us in there," Gonzaga coach Mark Few
    said. "We have to do a reality check and remember what a special
    deal it is to make it into the NCAA tournament."
    Thanks Jazz and you are correct this program is now at the pinnacle of success.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    Not yet. Can’t say pinnacle until they win a championship.

I think team was more rattled by Father Tony's death than they let on. Or, at least put it this way, certainly the coaches and staff were crushed and the players read it. Plus, play a team at altitude that has come from the highest altude major school and it'll be tough.

But even Blake Stepp couldn't make anything that night. Rough one.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

As Jazz states, we have come a long way and the distance to the top is now reachable...this is one of the most unselfish teams I’ve ever seen play this game!!!

Also, I remember Stepp not making his normal shots and Ronnie picking up two quick fouls and that was all she wrote ��

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

I attended the selection Sunday festivities Gonzaga hosted at one of the hotels along the Spokane River just west of Division. It was a large gathering and a lot of excitement building up to the announcement of our seed in the tournament and it was just as anticlimactic as it looked on the TV.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Not yet. Can’t say pinnacle until they win a championship.
    I disagree. Finishing the last 1:50 of the season doesn’t define anything. All that we’ve accomplished is truly stunning from what I imagined 15 years ago. I dreamed for just one final four. We may get more and a title. I think anyone is crazy if they believed 15 years ago that we would’ve qualified for 22 straight tourneys (I know one didn’t happen but we still qualified regardless) ... Thats unthinkable for any program ... Pinnacle of success? Eye of the PNW has done more than I could’ve ever dreamed. The campus has grown to remarkable levels not many dreamed it could. The facilities, the arena. For a mid major we’ve reached it. Now it’s time to be a major. Now it’s time to do even better. The best is yet to come
    Qualified for 21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I disagree. Finishing the last 1:50 of the season doesn’t define anything. All that we’ve accomplished is truly stunning from what I imagined 15 years ago. I dreamed for just one final four. We may get more and a title. Pinnacle of success? Eye of the PNW has done more than I could’ve ever dreamed. The campus has grown to remarkable levels not many dreamed it could. The facilities, the arena. For a mid major we’ve reached it. Now it’s time to be a major. Now it’s time to do even better. The best is yet to come
    Well put. So true. I agree with all you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    As Jazz states, we have come a long way and the distance to the top is now reachable...this is one of the most unselfish teams I’ve ever seen play this game!!!

Also, I remember Stepp not making his normal shots and Ronnie picking up two quick fouls and that was all she wrote ��
    Did Ronnie also get in foul trouble in that one? Wasn’t that the Nevada game? Sorry for another painful memory, the refs hit him with some horrible foul calls and Nevada couldn’t miss from three.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Three games I have crappy memories of: Nevada, Wyoming and Texas Tech coached by Bob Knight. Those were tough losses. The fellas just couldn't get going, couldn't hit their shots. What a great run for the Zags. We as Zag fans are so fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Did Ronnie also get in foul trouble in that one? Wasn’t that the Nevada game? Sorry for another painful memory, the refs hit him with some horrible foul calls and Nevada couldn’t miss from three.
    Man why don’t you guys just mention UCLA just to bring Jazz’s uplifting post back down to a normal doom and gloom Jazz thread. LOL

The number 6th ranked team in the country with 1st team all-American Dan Dickau has to play as a 6th seed in a gym closer to the lower seeded school (Wyoming). For some reason, the game was played in the dark.

It sure made taking the injustice of the Davidson game easier as fans had been through that trauma before.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

Thanks Jazz ! I was almost over that Wyoming game. Actually, I will never be over it !

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Three games I have crappy memories of: Nevada, Wyoming and Texas Tech coached by Bob Knight. Those were tough losses. The fellas just couldn't get going, couldn't hit their shots. What a great run for the Zags. We as Zag fans are so fortunate.
    The Nevada loss was a tough one. Ronny was in immediate foul trouble and Blake's shot was AWOL. Nevada smelled blood and I remember the taunts. We were never in that game.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Boys and girls. You’re missing the point. I guess I could have hammered it home more. Not the game or the result, it’s that GU had so LITTLE RESPECT from the committee that year that they were horribly under seeded. I can still see Few’s face when they announced the draw. The game was just a extension of a terrible ending to a wonderful year. Now the Zags are lionized in every corner of MBB land. We’ve come a long way. And happy new year.

PS, every season except last the Zags last game was an L. Losing to WY, while painful, was certainly not the most crushing. I can think of at least three others that were far more devastating.

Man why don’t you guys just mention UCLA just to bring Jazz’s uplifting post back down to a normal doom and gloom Jazz thread. LOL
    Now that is a game I will NEVER forget. Adam's tears won't even come close to matching my own that night. I had to endure many horrible 1st round losses as an AZ Wildcat fan, but that night in 2006 was something I wanted to erase from my memory forever.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Lock this thread and delete it and then burn it. Nothing but trolling at this point.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Boys and girls. You’re missing the point. I guess I could have hammered it home more. Not the game or the result, it’s that GU had so LITTLE RESPECT from the committee that year that they were horribly under seeded. I can still see Few’s face when they announced the draw. The game was just a extension of a terrible ending to a wonderful year. Now the Zags are lionized in every corner of MBB land. We’ve come a long way. And happy new year.

PS, every season except last the Zags last game was an L. Losing to WY, while painful, was certainly not the most crushing. I can think of at least three others that were far more devastating.
    Just my opinion, but the win over Xavier in the Elite Eight exorcised all the demons. I'll never forget the joy of those last ten minutes, when we had the game under control, and we were on our way to the Final Four.

Hmmm, I felt much the same way last Saturday, when we were dispatching the defending National Champion with a display of the most beautiful team basketball in front of a national TV audience.

It's a new year, I'm ready to move on from the cluster foxtrot known as 2020.

Think stepp shot 19% in march madness.
    Love the zags for life