Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pepp goes on pause

Default Pepp goes on pause

Their games this week against SMC and BYU are postponed.

https://twitter.com/peppbasketball/s...435559426?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

The hospitals in California are overwhelmed and the folks working in them could use a break.

I would not dream of passing judgement about this decision.
    I miss Mike Hart

Time to reconsider a conference bubble in Vegas or Fort Worth. I have a bad feeling that Newsom's going to slam the doors on California in the next 7-10 days.

Except for a HS hoops tournament on 1/9, Dickies Arena schedule is open until February, all music concerts. Travel would be a snap, direct flights can be booked from most anywhere in the US without the need for a connecting flight. You wouldn't have the distractions offered by Las Vegas, but you'd have plenty of Texas hospitality. Practice venues aplenty, too.

Plenty of places to play the games, too, to accommodate all of the teams in a 2-3 week bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    The hospitals in California are overwhelmed and the folks working in them could use a break.

I would not dream of passing judgement about this decision.
    Nor I.

If the WCC doesn't act quickly, it will be too late. Travel may be suspended.
    At least someone, somewhere, is laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Time to reconsider a conference bubble in Vegas or Fort Worth. I have a bad feeling that Newsom's going to slam the doors on California in the next 7-10 days.

Except for a HS hoops tournament on 1/9, Dickies Arena schedule is open until February, all music concerts. Travel would be a snap, direct flights can be booked from most anywhere in the US without the need for a connecting flight. You wouldn't have the distractions offered by Las Vegas, but you'd have plenty of Texas hospitality. Practice venues aplenty, too.

Plenty of places to play the games, too, to accommodate all of the teams in a 2-3 week bubble.
    I would love to see the Vegas bubble happen, but we need to be patient if it doesn’t. The WCC and the WCC members may not have the financial resources to do that. Gonzaga is fortunate to have a basketball program that has generated so much revenue for the school. Losing games hurts Gonzaga, so Gonzaga will invest time and money to keep this team playing. Some of these universities don’t have that luxury. This pandemic is putting a tremendous financial strain on some colleges and universities. They may need to conserve funds for other priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I would love to see the Vegas bubble happen, but we need to be patient if it doesn’t. The WCC and the WCC members may not have the financial resources to do that. Gonzaga is fortunate to have a basketball program that has generated so much revenue for the school. Losing games hurts Gonzaga, so Gonzaga will invest time and money to keep this team playing. Some of these universities don’t have that luxury. This pandemic is putting a tremendous financial strain on some colleges and universities. They may need to conserve funds for other priorities.
    That’s why the league office needs to get on the phone with partners of the WCC, reach out for support.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post

Texas is as bad as California if not worse. The hospitals are overwhelmed, even Denton County has fewer than 10 ICU beds available. They would be better off at Salt Lake City or Spokane than anywhere in Texas or Las Vegas.

TZF lobbying for WCC to happen in DFW area - imagine that :-)

Would love to see a WCC bubble in Spokane but Vegas and SLC also make sense.

As long as the Zags get 17 total games played they become eligible for an NCAA tourney, right?

ZZ

Not happening in Texas where covid death rate per capita is more than double Washington and Utah. Even higher than California!

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post

As long as the Zags get 17 total games played they become eligible for an NCAA tourney, right?

ZZ
    i have a feeling requirements for the tournament will be pretty fluid this year...i'll be curious to see how many conferences tournaments will be held.

Our worst fear rearing it's ugly head the first week of conference play. This is not good !

Quote Originally Posted by All Weather Fan View Post
    Our worst fear rearing it's ugly head the first week of conference play. This is not good !
    True, it's not good, but the Zags are not affected yet. If some WCC teams have to play 3 games a week instead of two, so be it. Hopefully, all of our teams will get all 16 games in. Let's not kid ourselves, it's a foregone conclusion as to who will win the conference.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post

ZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    i have a feeling requirements for the tournament will be pretty fluid this year...i'll be curious to see how many conferences tournaments will be held.
    If the Zags win 15 games and are undefeated while being ranked at, or near, the top of almost every metric...they will be in.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    If the Zags win 15 games and are undefeated while being ranked at, or near, the top of almost every metric...they will be in.
    Gonzaga is in now, barring the tournament being cancelled. Look at the accommodations made to get Ohio State into the FBS playoffs. The NCAA needs the storyline of Gonzaga, Baylor to keep interested in the tournament.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

80% of games have been completed....don’t hear too much about that

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Sure we do. We have a whole forum dedicated to them: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...U-Game-Threads
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Sure we do. We have a whole forum dedicated to them: http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...U-Game-Threads
    80% number includes ALL NCAA men’s games......not just Zag games

No true OCC and conference just starting so, unless you are projecting what you expect COVID to do to the season, I don't see where you get your numbers.

Good. I am interested in Zag games.

In fact, the mods have made a concerted effort to focus talk here on the team and the games so your innuendo offends me and the efforts we have made to focus on the positive.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Default Saturday’s WCC Slate - Four of Five Games Postponed

Gonzaga’s game against the Dons is the only one of five games that has yet to be postponed.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ard/_/group/29

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Gonzaga’s game against the Dons is the only one of five games that has yet to be postponed.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ard/_/group/29
    The others are (were) to be played in Cali. They must have tightened the restrictions on sporting events.

If the teams want to play, they need to find an alternate site quickly, while they can still travel.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Good. I am interested in Zag games.

In fact, the mods have made a concerted effort to focus talk here on the team and the games so your innuendo offends me and the efforts we have made to focus on the positive.
    read my comment again and tell me where you see the negative

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    The others are (were) to be played in Cali. They must have tightened the restrictions on sporting events.

If the teams want to play, they need to find an alternate site quickly, while they can still travel.
    Boise State played a game last night against the "home" team San Jose State at a fitness center in Phoenix. Lots of options out there when you can't have fans anyway.

https://ability360.org/sports/

Quote Originally Posted by gobroncsgozags View Post
    Boise State played a game last night against the "home" team San Jose State at an athletic center in Phoenix. Lots of options out there when you can't have fans anyway.
    I agree. Set up a bubble. The teams are distance learning anyway, so they won't be 'going' toclasses.

I know that it has been brought up that some schools don't have the resources that Gonzaga does, but could the WCC pick up a bunch of the tab for the schools? They could isolate and then play every other day. It would take about a month to play out the conference (if the figures I am doing in my head are right). They could work out a one time TV deal.
    Just spitballing ideas. I have no idea if they would work.