Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heister - You Are Not Home

- themes to this thread
    - some like the crew and some do not...........most who like the crew have become used to them. not a ringing endorsement by any means
    - we kick this around every year........because it does not get better
    - i know some like them, but it is insulting that they can broadcast games other than gonzaga and be completely professional/serious. its like one poster said, they think the broadcast is for them, not us.
    - a blow out is no excuse for not working your hardest, we would pick on the players if we felt they were laying down and not giving best effort. so criticism is valid
    - the back biting is real, and hurtful. dan dickau's last comment before they signed off was literally, 'i don't want to hear you talk anymore' (to heister)

- the current 3 men, and 3 man crew are simply 'dysfunctional'. they are who they are and will not change...........that is why i hope mike roth gets a bee in his bonnet and initiates change.
    - ask yourself this, do you think coach few, mike roth or the gonzaga president enjoy watching/listening to these 3?

- warning, you will find me complaining about this every year, until it gets fixed...........and i'm a nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
    Excellent suggestions on topics that could be explored outside of Dan's nickname and other inane topics discussed by the crew. Some of their banter is entertaining but a little bit goes a long way, as the saying goes. I commented to my wife at some point late in the second half - could these guys just be quiet for 30 seconds. Seriously, they are announcing a ballgame, not giving each other crap over beers at the bar after the ballgame.
    I agree! I feel bad for our players. They need to be presented with some degree of dignity and much more relevant commentary. They don’t need this sort of upstaging going on during their games.
    Parlez-vous français?

I think the issues may be the dynamics of a 3-person crew. Heister and Dickau do some WSU games and they are much better and more focused. Heister did one game with only Fox and that was better, too. In any case, I'd like to know more about what is going on in the game, with some stories about the players/coaches interspersed. Some analysis, too. Someone mentioned Bobby Knight as an analyst and I agree, he was excellent. It would be nice to have some serious in-sight to the game without Heister interrupting to try to make a joke.

All that said, our TV has an option to turn the sound off.

Please realize:

• These Root/KHQ games are regional broadcasts with low ratings that are watched mostly by dedicated fans who know the program already
    • If we had on-air talent like Drew Schiller or Casey Jacobsen (who are the Pac12 equivalents of DDD and Foxy), we would be bored and complaining about remarks like Coach Few being an avid fly fisherman, Tommy Lloyd recruiting globally, Suggs having played football and a bunch of other basic filler. Personally I like the inside jokes and obscure references during a blowout. Nobody knows this program better than these guys.
    • Dickau is a pretty solid X's and O's color analyst. I have learned a lot from him
    • The production team is really small-the 3 amigos + Chauncey their producer and maybe one other person (excluding camera workers). The ratings nor the budget are going to fund elaborate stats packages and graphics that we all would enjoy.
    • These guys will do about 10-11 games this season. ESPN, CBS or Fox gets the rest. Enjoy this for the change of pace it is and please don't go tattling to Mike Roth (like he's going to do anything anyway).

However:
    I would appreciate it if they would tell me how many fouls a player has more frequently especially in the second half. I would forego one Heister apology to know if that was the 3rd or 4th on Dixie's big man just now.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Given that it was nearly a 50 point blow out that was over well before the half, he was fine.
    Agreed, it not like it was a nail biter.

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Please realize:

• These Root/KHQ games are regional broadcasts with low ratings that are watched mostly by dedicated fans who know the program already
    • If we had on-air talent like Drew Schiller or Casey Jacobsen (who are the Pac12 equivalents of DDD and Foxy), we would be bored and complaining about remarks like Coach Few being an avid fly fisherman, Tommy Lloyd recruiting globally, Suggs having played football and a bunch of other basic filler. Personally I like the inside jokes and obscure references during a blowout. Nobody knows this program better than these guys.
    • Dickau is a pretty solid X's and O's color analyst. I have learned a lot from him
    • The production team is really small-the 3 amigos + Chauncey their producer and maybe one other person (excluding camera workers). The ratings nor the budget are going to fund elaborate stats packages and graphics that we all would enjoy.
    • These guys will do about 10-11 games this season. ESPN, CBS or Fox gets the rest. Enjoy this for the change of pace it is and please don't go tattling to Mike Roth (like he's going to do anything anyway).

However:
    I would appreciate it if they would tell me how many fouls a player has more frequently especially in the second half. I would forego one Heister apology to know if that was the 3rd or 4th on Dixie's big man just now.

ZZ
    Good post

Please realize:

However:

ZZ
    ZZ - Once again the voice of reason...............

Go ZAGS

Please realize:

However:

ZZ
    Thanks for summarizing. I assumed the broadcast is hyper-local with a small audience and, therefore, low budget. So, maybe Heister is the best we can expect. But, having said that, I wish he'd learn to be more professional and self-aware. He can still inject some humor and color. Doesn't need to be boring. And, in a blow-out, there's time for some banter. But, his cheap-shots and what comes across as amateurish attempts to one-up Fox and Dickau are embarrassing. Can we stop with the "Wyoming" reference, the endless discussion of NIC, trying to bait Dickau and Fox to bicker over comparisons about present vs. past players, etc. I want him to be engaging and entertaining (and am willing to concede that we can't expect the Root/KHQ network to hire the Kevin Colabaro's of the world). There has to be some of the audience who aren't alums or haven't always followed GU basketball and who aren't familiar with what the attempted inside jokes are getting at and who aren't impressed with the quality of the play-by-play announcer. Heister: Please step up your game even if you want to keep your country-bumpkin shtick.

Fox and Dickau both have a lot of interesting observations about the game, the history of the program, player strengths/weaknesses, etc. Rather than bring out the best, Heister too often leads the discussion in a direction that brings out the worst. Make the team better!

Suggested topics for adding color or filling time in a blow-out game: (1) More info on players' background and personalities; (2) more info on the personality, bball philosophy, and roles of the coaches; (3) details on the Covid bubble routine being followed by coaches and players and how they are finding ways to deal with the isolation and monotony; (4) discuss how the ranked WBB team is doing; something about the players; (5) what are students, fans, cheer team, etc. doing to show support given they can't be in the stands (and, do we have any games coming up where an opponent's gym allows some fans to be present?); (6) what is the campus like during Covid mitigation; (7) what are other GU teams doing to deal with Covid; and (8) more about what other WCC MBB teams have shown so far and what challenges they will present for our team. Just my $ .02. Obviously, these aren't the only topics and may not be the best, but for the love of god could Heister do more homework and come up with something better than the same ol', same ol'. There's a lot of material to choose from to keep the broadcast interesting, fresh, entertaining, etc.

Interestingly, Dan Dickau tweeted out a request for topics for the upcoming games on 12/26

https://twitter.com/dandickau21/stat...93021000765440

So the regional crew has the next two
    @ZagMBB games. It’s myself @SeasonsOnTheFly and @richardfox34 on the call. W @CFLOW1 producing. We’ve seen the current team w 4 top 20 wins early in season. What other story lines do you want us to discuss/address if games gets out of hand?

He got 41 replies-the usual internet caliber mix of good ideas and dumb

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Zag365 View Post
    Thanks for summarizing. I assumed the broadcast is hyper-local with a small audience and, therefore, low budget. So, maybe Heister is the best we can expect. But, having said that, I wish he'd learn to be more professional and self-aware. He can still inject some humor and color. Doesn't need to be boring. And, in a blow-out, there's time for some banter. But, his cheap-shots and what comes across as amateurish attempts to one-up Fox and Dickau are embarrassing. Can we stop with the "Wyoming" reference, the endless discussion of NIC, trying to bait Dickau and Fox to bicker over comparisons about present vs. past players, etc. I want him to be engaging and entertaining (and am willing to concede that we can't expect the Root/KHQ network to hire the Kevin Colabaro's of the world). There has to be some of the audience who aren't alums or haven't always followed GU basketball and who aren't familiar with what the attempted inside jokes are getting at and who aren't impressed with the quality of the play-by-play announcer. Heister: Please step up your game even if you want to keep your country-bumpkin shtick.

Fox and Dickau both have a lot of interesting observations about the game, the history of the program, player strengths/weaknesses, etc. Rather than bring out the best, Heister too often leads the discussion in a direction that brings out the worst. Make the team better!

Suggested topics for adding color or filling time in a blow-out game: (1) More info on players' background and personalities; (2) more info on the personality, bball philosophy, and roles of the coaches; (3) details on the Covid bubble routine being followed by coaches and players and how they are finding ways to deal with the isolation and monotony; (4) discuss how the ranked WBB team is doing; something about the players; (5) what are students, fans, cheer team, etc. doing to show support given they can't be in the stands (and, do we have any games coming up where an opponent's gym allows some fans to be present?); (6) what is the campus like during Covid mitigation; (7) what are other GU teams doing to deal with Covid; and (8) more about what other WCC MBB teams have shown so far and what challenges they will present for our team. Just my $ .02. Obviously, these aren't the only topics and may not be the best, but for the love of god could Heister do more homework and come up with something better than the same ol', same ol'. There's a lot of material to choose from to keep the broadcast interesting, fresh, entertaining, etc.
    Well put. A+

It is disturbing, and clear, that zag nation has resigned themselves to Heister. How else could you explain so many fans offering to other fans the solution of 'turn off the sound.' We love the game, the team, and the best solution we fans can give each other is: 'turn off the sound.' The logical deduction here to an outsider is:
    A. the situation is horrible, so horrible the bad outweighs the good - lets have a silent movie. No possible hope for a fix. The way a liberal in Nazi Germany felt in 1938.
    B. nothing is going to be done about it now or forever

Heister is perfectly capable of behaving in a professional manner. He does some work for Pac 12 Network on the side, I think almost always games involving Washington St. I've heard him do men's and women's basketball, baseball, maybe even volleyball. His on air persona when he's working for P12N is completely different than when he's doing GU games for ROOT. It's probably never going to change.

Upthread somewhere Bill Walton was mentioned. I'm almost certain Heister and Walton worked a game together, can't remember who the Zags were playing or how long ago. Probably a fairly high profile matchup against a Pac 12 team that GU was hosting? My recollection is that Walton was more respectful of Heister than he is with his usual broadcast partner.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    Well put. A+

It is disturbing, and clear, that zag nation has resigned themselves to Heister. How else could you explain so many fans offering to other fans the solution of 'turn off the sound.' We love the game, the team, and the best solution we fans can give each other is: 'turn off the sound.' The logical deduction here to an outsider is:
    A. the situation is horrible, so horrible the bad outweighs the good - lets have a silent movie. No possible hope for a fix. The way a liberal in Nazi Germany felt in 1938.
    B. nothing is going to be done about it now or forever

Did anyone else catch, I think against NAU, when dickau made reference to “the message boards” after heister made some off the wall comment?

I still stand by loving the crew, give me some good entertainment. I guess I understand the game enough that I don’t need someone explaining what I’m watching, I can see that myself, give me something else as an added element.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - themes to this thread
    - some like the crew and some do not...........most who like the crew have become used to them. not a ringing endorsement by any means
    - we kick this around every year........because it does not get better
    - i know some like them, but it is insulting that they can broadcast games other than gonzaga and be completely professional/serious. its like one poster said, they think the broadcast is for them, not us.
    - a blow out is no excuse for not working your hardest, we would pick on the players if we felt they were laying down and not giving best effort. so criticism is valid
    - the back biting is real, and hurtful. dan dickau's last comment before they signed off was literally, 'i don't want to hear you talk anymore' (to heister)

- the current 3 men, and 3 man crew are simply 'dysfunctional'. they are who they are and will not change...........that is why i hope mike roth gets a bee in his bonnet and initiates change.
    - ask yourself this, do you think coach few, mike roth or the gonzaga president enjoy watching/listening to these 3?

- warning, you will find me complaining about this every year, until it gets fixed...........and i'm a nice guy
    Well said.

I continue to join the fans who are tired of the unprofessional behavior we hear year in and year out from Heister. If he wasn’t there I’m sure Fox and Dickau could lead a professional broadcast.

I cannot remember a single game where these three, or any other Heister lead broadcast, kept it together for an entire game.

Gonzaga fans deserve better.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Default Heister - You Are Not Home

Love this crew, I guess when there is nothing to complain about on our team the "doom dealers" must hunt elsewhere. If you need the announcers to explain basketball to you then that says it all, enjoy the ride snowflakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I enjoy that they are homers, that's why I listen, and if they weren't homers I wouldn't listen, just mute.

I do not enjoy them going after each other in public, the Wyoming thing is bunk when sledge hammered like, doesn't take much to understand that memory still truly hurts DD, etc. Yes, DD's a man and has to deal with that, but on purpose over and over...just kind of weird, revealing stuff. Maybe that's all a misread on my part but I don't find things like that entertaining

on the crew of 2 vs. crew of 3 annual discussion, if it's down to picking 2, I'd take Fox and DD and let Heister go

I enjoy reading everybody's take on this each year

I actually enjoy them. They're not always as funny as they think they are, but who is? I honestly don't focus on them too much, though. Even during blowouts, I tend to follow the game more than listen to what the announcers are discussing.

As far as whether they're "local", they're definitely "West Coast local", not necessarily Spokane/NI only. A lot of Zags games are televised on my local NBC Sports channel, because of all of the WCC teams in CA, and when they play at Gonzaga, they usually just pick up their feed.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNut08 View Post
    Did anyone else catch, I think against NAU, when dickau made reference to “the message boards” after heister made some off the wall comment?

I still stand by loving the crew, give me some good entertainment. I guess I understand the game enough that I don’t need someone explaining what I’m watching, I can see that myself, give me something else as an added element.
    Agreed. And I don’t particularly care about “research” on the opposing team when we are playing Dixie State or have a 30 point lead.

Geez Louise, people.

Maybe it’s because Dan frequently feels the need to bash players - “I hate his game,” “He’s out of shape,” etc. - and sing his own praises - “When I was playing,” “I would do,” etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Heister's treatment of Dan isn't funny, it borders on bullying because of the frequency.

Interestingly, Dan Dickau tweeted out a request for topics for the upcoming games on 12/26

@ZagMBB games. It’s myself @SeasonsOnTheFly and @richardfox34 on the call. W @CFLOW1 producing. We’ve seen the current team w 4 top 20 wins early in season. What other story lines do you want us to discuss/address if games gets out of hand?

ZZ
    Is there an email address for any of the Three Amigos? Sorry, I don't do Twitter or Facebook.

Heister needs cut. It's simple really.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Is there an email address for any of the Three Amigos? Sorry, I don't do Twitter or Facebook.
    You want their personal email addresses? I don’t think that’s going to be an option.

I tweeted the three of them and their producer today and sent them a link to this thread. I’ll probably do the same every time us fans get frustrated enough to start one. Maybe it’ll help for them to read what people think about the job they’re doing, but I doubt it.

All I know is, like them or not, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of respect for their abilities on these broadcasts. The most positive comment I read was that some people find them mildly amusing, and their job shouldn’t be considered “a big deal”.

I think we can all agree Gonzaga basketball has become a wildly successful program pretty much any way you slice it. I think what bothers a lot of people is not seeing the local television broadcasts follow suit. Greg Heister’s unique stamp on our teams’ game broadcasts has kept that portion of our brand down with programs taken less seriously. He is a stain on an otherwise beautiful sports tapestry.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Wasn't expecting a personal email, there's sometimes an email address at the station/newspaper that is available.

ZZ
    I replied to that tweet to stay on topic etc. Even signed off as #walton Did no good. I'm sure they are fine individuals but their inane banter even in a blowout is is beyond annoying. I just want to watch the game, have it called, give stats, give a little player background and stop with the "You know I love you, Dan" etc after some idiotic remark. Or maybe we can make that part a drinking game.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I'm almost certain Heister and Walton worked a game together
    I shudder to think....

Grateful the Heister-Walton pairing isn't a regular event. For me Heister is much easier to tune out and ignore than Walton.