Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heister - You Are Not Home

Default Heister - You Are Not Home

For pity sake, if you want to do some good, focus on the game. Endless yammering about inane subjects like the name of NIC really detracts from fan enjoyment of the game. Please make it your New Year's Resolution to discuss the plays and the players and relegate other topics to your own living room or backyard BBQ. It's not funny or entertaining to endure countless and unending off topic conversations when the rest of us are focusing on the matter at hand.

Remember, you are at a Gonzaga game not a guest appearance on MST3K!

Agreed, Heister needs to up his game. Zags have been big league for several years now...they deserve a more professional presentation.

I’ve been reading how bad Heister is for 20 years now. Nothing much has changed.

- agreed, i was disappointed that richard fox and dan both were blowing on the embers of crap that heister would start.
    - a few years ago this board went balistic and mike roth publically said he heard the fans complaints. heister came on t.v. and apologized and cleaned up his act......for about 4 games.

- gu a.d. again needs to step in............seriously gonzaga is a top echelon basketball program. you can bet kansas, duke, north carolina put on a professional broadcast crew. we get slap stick, back stabbing children who mistakenly think they are funny. that is it right there, they think they are funny and clever when they are not. mike roth, speak to the local network, now!

I dont hate him. Honestly have more so tuned them out the last few years. It is all about the game for me.

Truthfully, I cant think of too many announcers college or pro I love. I grew up with Chick Hearn and Ralph Lawler so i guess everyone else is a downgrade.

In the past I was more in agreement with you but I've changed my position.

I'm actually laughing out loud at the 3 way banter our crew has engaged in over the past week. Not just Heister who is good for a couple of malapropisms per game like tonight's "College of North Idaho" one but also Dickau and Fox's running banter about plays by Bigs vs Guards ("Nice shot"..."great pass"). I thought they were very entertaining-"can I call you D-Train?"... The IPO stock on mythical Ballo Island and so much more. I think it's highly amusing. Better quality digressions than in the past.

Lighten up folks - these games are blowouts. Greg, Dan and Fox are Zags treasures, true believers and keepers of the faith. It's like a bunch of your buddies watching a game and talking sh*t to each other. I love it.

ZZ

If they could get Kevin Calabaro though...

ZZ

I have changed my tune as well, I am finding them a bit comical.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

I love em. Always been a big heister fan and I feel like the trio has found their groove. Don’t need someone doing critical play by play when we’re up 40+.

Heister does grow on you. I think they are doing very well during blowouts, and any fairly close games will be on a network, so if I want a polished professional approach,
    I can watch the network pros. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    If they could get Kevin Calabaro though...

ZZ
    My favorite. I don’t think anyone will knock him off the top of my list. Listening to him on the radio was like reading a book in the sense that I knew very vividly what was happening on the court without seeing it.

The crew was much better this game with the sound off. Iím not sure if there is a correlation there, though.

Most of the stuff they do runs off like water from a ducks back, but I hate it when they take personal jabs at each other.

The trio is bad. I don’t think any of them in particular is terrible, but that 3-way... something has to give.

The banter and the ‘infighting’ are fingernails on chalkboard level at times.

They need to call game for the listener. Not the person next to them. This isn’t a 3rd tier podcast. They need to play it like nobody at home knows anything, then interject some background stuff and the familiarity.

Honestly, they can be embarrassing crew, given it’s the best team in the country. It would be forgivable if this was new... but it’s 20 years on now and they have been #1 numerous times.

Eh i like em.
    Love the zags for life

The mere mention of the Wyoming game to troll DD is really annoying.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Pair Heister with Bill Walton.

Heister would be so lost they would need to send out Search & Rescue.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I like him.

I don’t mind them and actually find Dickau the least likable of the three. That being said, Hudson and Morrison on the radio side are far superior. They should find a way to simulcast their broadcast and eliminate Fox, Heister, and Dan. Question: Walton or Heister for home games if you could choose?

Never Walton

Huge negative distraction for both me and my wife. I donít understand how Gonzaga allows such an adolescent distraction to detract from a program that otherwise is excellent.

We have a team for the ages and they are like a bunch of drunk high school kids talking and arguing about their personal irrelevant stories. Both Fox and Dan D can add good insight when the are focused, but they canít stay on track. Hyster is hopeless, he seems to just drag the other two down.

Clearly for some of you itís actually entertaining and others are able to ignore it but for me itís constantly interfering with my enjoyment of the game. Thatís just the way it is for me. Itís a huge distraction.

One thing that really bothers me is that itís like theyíve made the entire broadcast their personal little party. Itís extremely arrogant that they essentially take the audience captive down their own personal banter. A little bit of that is OK but this is so excessive itís really pretty unbelievable.

Itís such a relief to watch most of the national broadcasters during our games because they focus on the game they provide insight into the program and they take what theyíre seeing seriously. Bill Walton is the exception to that. Can you imagine if these three guys did their show on national TV one time what would happen.

This whole topic is a complete mystery to me. I just donít understand how a program like Gonzaga can have such a horrible broadcast team year after year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given that it was nearly a 50 point blow out that was over well before the half, he was fine.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

This concept has been going on for at least 7-8+ years. I cringe every time this is brought up. They're on our team. Two former successful Zags, and a pro announcer with a few decades of experience. I sometimes go back to the early 2000's and watch old Zag games (mostly with Craig Ehlo, who was quirky but ultimately great). I wish I could upload all the great games I have for all your pleasure. December 9, 2006. Zags are #18, UW is #13. What a game. If the Zags are playing great today, you should find this game. Probably the most intense Zag game of that decade.

I have zero qualms about our broadcasting trio. The back and forth is funny in a time of playing a new D1 team that is bottom of the barrel in their rankings. Give 'em a break (I should have brought this up 10 years ago, but typically, the most complaining are the most vocal).

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    The trio is bad. I don’t think any of them in particular is terrible, but that 3-way... something has to give.

The banter and the ‘infighting’ are fingernails on chalkboard level at times.

They need to call game for the listener. Not the person next to them. This isn’t a 3rd tier podcast. They need to play it like nobody at home knows anything, then interject some background stuff and the familiarity.

Honestly, they can be embarrassing crew, given it’s the best team in the country. It would be forgivable if this was new... but it’s 20 years on now and they have been #1 numerous times.
    Agreed! I find Heister extremely annoying.
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

most big time programs have professional sounding broadcasters,
    big time programs may have come to respect our basketball skills,
    but their stereotypes of us as small, cow town corny are fulfilled when they see we have not put Heister through a remedial situation, its not his fault he can't help but dominate the airways with an emotional maturity of macho comparisons against Dan and Richard that is no higher than 7th grade gym boy talk.
    The problem is higher up than Heister, its not taking the class Few and our other broadcasters have, and doing something with Heister. The highest praise i ever hear about him on this board, is I have gotten used to him and don't mind it anymore. So the elephant in the room doesn't bother them anymore, but to an outsider used to real professionals, it would be the most obvious thing about the broadcast.
    For me it is like the blackboard fingernail screeching, I am so relieved when Heister is not on board. Few contains him, crushingly sometimes, like Kimi Raikkonen does in F1 racing. When a journalist becomes a jerk or too familiar personality-wise, the question is characterized as almost absurd, and distance is created by calling the journalist by his last name.

Heister's treatment of Dan isn't funny, it borders on bullying because of the frequency.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.