Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AZ volunteers to punish itself for bribery in recruiting. Does it match the crime?

Default AZ volunteers to punish itself for bribery in recruiting. Does it match the crime?

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...asketball-team

I am genuinely eager to hear what some of senior board members and mods personally think of this self imposed punishment. I don't think AZ was predicted to be a contender this year ... not ranked in top 50.
    What punishment would you have rendered if you were the judge?

That’s laughable!

Punishment? Remember SMU football? Something along those lines.

“Whatever you do,” cried Brer Rabbit, “Don’t throw me into the briar patch”

They are giving up 1 post season, in a down year, during a pandemic when the eligibility clock isn't ticking.

Nice try AZ.
    We are on this earth to live, not to avoid death.

Hmmm..... Let's see....... We have to punish ourselves and make it look really BAD so the NCAA won't have to.... Who should fall on the sword?...... I know!!! Let's punish the current players who had nothing to do with this! We aren't going to the post season anyway and if we lost post season eligibility in the future that might really hurt us. Problem solved! We will sacrifice what little post season chance we had this year and take away any hope our players had left. And the program doesn't suffer anything. I might actually get a raise for such superior problem solving skills!

Chiselers and thieves. Lori Loughlin is sprung, Seannie and Zona enter. Great country.

They weren't going to be in the tournament anyway. I guess Miller can spend this years tourney time hitting up the boosters for a bunch more money so he can buy some good recruits for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    They weren't going to be in the tournament anyway. I guess Miller can spend this years tourney time hitting up the boosters for a bunch more money so he can buy some good recruits for next year.
    Nobody's going to lose a year of eligibility this year, either. So they miss out on the bubble in Indianapolis...big deal.

This is like voluntarily taking your driving privilege's away after totaling your parents car.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Still playing in the Pac 12 tournament. What a joke

If the ncaa doesn't up that "penalty" significantly, then it will show just how crooked the ncaa itself is.

I don’t believe it n punishing players.

Coaches should be fined, fired, limit future scholarships (so no current players are punished). I hate, hate post season bans, that sort of thing because the players on the team don’t have anything to do with the rule breaking done by the coaches.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/12/2...ostseason-bans

This is yet another loophole in the NCAA crime-and-punishment process that schools and their legal counsel are happy to exploit when it suits them. If punishment is inevitable, administer some of it yourself at a time and manner of your choosing. Then act like you’re taking the whole thing verrrry seriously.

“Every time a school self-imposes, the cynicism level rises in the sport,” said ESPN analyst and former college coach Fran Fraschilla.

“Don’t think you’re getting over on all of us here,” said fellow ESPN analyst Dan Dakich, another former college coach. “If I were the NCAA, I would say, ‘It’s great that you did that. We’re not going to take any of it into consideration. That’s your year [ban]. Now here come our years.’ “

One reason to tolerate Dakich....

The university athletic department lost credibility when they circled the wagons around Miller. I suppose they can be applauded for not jumping the gun early on and giving the benefit of the doubt, but how is he still coaching there at this point? The optics aren’t great. What’s even crazier is that he hasn’t been that successful there. Does he have incriminating information on administrative staff?

Lute Olson is turning over in his grave right about now. This was once a top notch program sending many players to the NBA. Gonzaga wears that West Coast crown now.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, WE CONQUERED !!

Kansas will be the next one, they will vacate all the wins of the 2020 Jayhawk football team.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Chiselers and thieves. Lori Loughlin is sprung, Seannie and Zona enter. Great country.
    Hey, it’s not like they stole 1.6B from Medicare and then got a pardon.

Sounds like Arizona has drunk far too many cases of Miller Beer.........

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Sounds like Arizona has drunk far too many cases of Miller Beer.........
    Living the high life.

You would think by now that Coach Miller would have added sweat wicking shirts to his wardrobe. I can speak from personal experience that this technology works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    You would think by now that Coach Miller would have added sweat wicking shirts to his wardrobe. I can speak from personal experience that this technology works like a charm.
    +1

Hits the nail on the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Kansas will be the next one, they will vacate all the wins of the 2020 Jayhawk football team.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    You hit the nail on the head here.A lot like politics,lots and lots of crooks,period.Thank God for Few.